Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Gotta make money first before indulging in hobbies - we'll still be here, waiting.....

KarlTSG's Avatar Foederatus

Indeed. This mod is looking so good, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, regardless of how long you need to take. We'll still be here, excited for whatever news you bring next.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Im gonna wait for the mod sure, but i cant promise i will be still around, i can only hope.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Thanks guys. I'll do my best to progress in the development, but the coming few months I fear it will be baby steps.

Anyway, since I have less time to work on the mod, I thought I should just show some of the stuff I've been working on. This weekend I've been working on the old-style armour for Samurai that will feature prominently among the more elite Samurai, like generals and Daimyo. All I have to show for right now is a pic of the WIP model. It still needs some work (adding cords attaching the o-sode to the body, fixing and adding textures for the helmet parts such as the fukigaeshi) but it does show the general idea of how it will look like.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old-style 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Razor; November 01, 2020 at 03:24 PM.

Definitely take your time with the new job, good luck with that

The mod can always wait, it won't go anywhere. Slow but steady
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    Definitely take your time with the new job, good luck with that

The mod can always wait, it won't go anywhere. Slow but steady
    Thanks. Slow but steady is the cue.

Here's an update on the old-style Samurai model I posted earlier:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old-style 3.jpg   old-style 4.jpg   old-style 5.jpg  

So, it's been a while since my last update. My fulltime job is demanding a lot from me, but I try to spend part of my spare time on this project. Everything is going well. I've added more armour types (scales) and worked out the ashigaru model. I'm currently busy working out assets such as the bow, quiver and naginata and (re)organizing textures. It's boring stuff that's hard to present to the public as of yet, but it's essential to getting stuff done. I still need to create an intermediate elite samurai version, which is not low-grade samurai, but not quite 'general-grade' either. Anyway, things are progressing.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Thanks Crociato78. Hopefully you don't have to wait for it for too long. By the way, do you still have pictures from your modded units that you did for the Shizoku no Senso mod? I was curious how they looked back then.
    Hi Razor!

Do you want me to send you the textures and models files?

I had stopped to make the changes.

They are not as beautiful as your new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Hi Razor!

Do you want me to send you the textures and models files?

I had stopped to make the changes.

They are not as beautiful as your new units.
    Well, I was just curious how the units looked. I don't think I'll need the textures and models, I just would like to to see a few pics of them in action. I thought perhaps you still have a few pictures of them lying around somewhere.

So there's some good news and bad news. Let me begin with the bad news.

The bad news is that my computer is having serious issues. A few months ago my GPU died and so I bought a cheap replacement. Now my computer is having trouble detecting a harddrive and overall feels quite unreliable.

The good news is that nothing has been lost whatsoever (due to backups) other than time. Other good news is that my new work has allowed me to buy a completely new computer that's quite future-proof (i7 10700k, 32 GB RAM) with superfast SSD. My current computer is some 13 years old anyway (i7 920, 6GB RAM) so I had planned to buy a new one at some point in time and apparently that time is now.

Also good/bad news is that my temporary extra work is over for the next few months, so I have more time to work on the mod again (and perhaps trying a few new games here and there... )

Cheers!

Domesticus

So there's some good news and bad news. Let me begin with the bad news.

The bad news is that my computer is having serious issues. A few months ago my GPU died and so I bought a cheap replacement. Now my computer is having trouble detecting a harddrive and overall feels quite unreliable.

The good news is that nothing has been lost whatsoever (due to backups) other than time. Other good news is that my new work has allowed me to buy a completely new computer that's quite future-proof (i7 10700k, 32 GB RAM) with superfast SSD. My current computer is some 13 years old anyway (i7 920, 6GB RAM) so I had planned to buy a new one at some point in time and apparently that time is now.

Also good/bad news is that my temporary extra work is over for the next few months, so I have more time to work on the mod again (and perhaps trying a few new games here and there... )

Cheers!

I'm glad you have a new PC and have more time available to work on your beautiful mod.

Working with M2 gives you a larger map scale.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

First gen i7? Yeah, you were quite due an upgrade!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Domesticus

Hi there folks. Time for a small update.

I've figured out the armour upgrades that I'm going to implement that will also affect the appearance of the model.
    I had to dive into the history of samurai armour and found a great book that provided me with a lot of info on the evolution of the do.

The upgrade stages are:

ug0: laced lames (not upgraded)
    ug1: riveted lames (requires: armourer)
    ug2: partial plate (requires: master armourer)
    ug3: solid plate (requires: Yukinoshita armourer)

Without upgrades Ashigaru units will have simple armour with laced lames in the Mogami style as they had come into being since the Onin war. Samurai units will have a combination of sparse laced lames and fully laced scales.

Armour upgrade 1 will introduce the so-called "tosei gusoku", or "modern armours". Ashigaru units will get the munition grade okegawa do, while Samurai units will get the fancier okegawa do, but some of them are made to look like traditional armour with fully laced scales.

Armour upgrade 2 will give units a better and improved okegawa do that are better able to withstand bullets. Ashigaru will get smoother armour. Samurai will also get smoother armour with partial plating. Also, the Nanban-inspired peascod armour and vertical partial plating gets introduced for the Samurai. The smoother armour helped to repel spears, which had a tendency to get caught in the lacing and lames of the armour. The partial plating also improved the armour's resistance against bullets.

Armour upgrade 3 will get you the famous Yukinoshita do and Sendai do armour sets that were being used by the Ashina clan and later on the Date clan. These armour sets were constructed by using thick solid plates and were known for their bullet proof capabilities and lack of sode. However I intend to restrict the availability of this upgrade. One way of doing it is tieing it to a rare ancillary that characters can earn when they're in the Aizu area. Another way would be to tie it to character traits for the faction leader like "innovative" or "interested in new technology" which allows a faction to build a Yukinoshita armourer.

Weapons upgrades will follow a similar route.

bladed weapons +1 (requires: weaponsmith)
    bladed weapons +2 (requires: master weaponsmith)
    bladed weapons +3 (requires: Muramasa weaponsmith)

The third bladed weapons upgrade represents the famous so-called "cursed" Muramasa blades, known for their sharpness and hardness and also their involvement in a number of unfortunate events within the Tokugawa clan.

I'm not sure if I've explained the smith building tree:

blacksmith => armourer => master armourer => Yukinoshita armourer
    or: => weaponsmith => master weaponsmith => Muramasa weaponsmith
    or: => gunsmith => foundry

In every region you can build a blacksmith, from which you can choose to specialize in one of the three specialities: 1) armourer, 2) weaponsmith and 3) gunsmith. I've already explained the first two options. The gunsmith allows the production of self-made teppo so you can recruit teppo units much faster than you can by just using trade buildings that gather teppo from merchants at a slow rate. A gunsmith can be upgraded to a foundry which allows faster production of teppo and also allows the casting of cannons.

Hi Razor!

However, armor upgrades can only add +1 point for 3 upgrades. Or at most 3 points for a single upgrade.

I would like to ask if you have a list of all the settlements and regions in the campaign?

It would be nice in the future to have the vassals units (with the various sashimono etc ...) of each playable faction.

Quote Originally Posted by 0riflamme View Post
    Working with M2 gives you a larger map scale.
    Actually, I don't think there's that much of a difference in scale compared to Shogun 2. What is different is the amount of detail in terms of mountain passes and rivers and overall detail.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    First gen i7? Yeah, you were quite due an upgrade!
    Yep, first gen, however I must say that the old i7 920 served me quite well.

Hi Razor!

However, armor upgrades can only add +1 point for 3 upgrades. Or at most 3 points for a single upgrade.

I would like to ask if you have a list of all the settlements and regions in the campaign?

It would be nice in the future to have the vassals units (with the various sashimono etc ...) of each playable faction.
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly with your comment on armour upgrades.

I do have a list of regions and settlement names. But it's just that: a list.

As for vassal units, I intend to add an ability for the player to revive defeated factions and have them act as vassals/close allies.

Also, I take it that you don't have any pictures of your modded units anymore?
    Last edited by Razor; January 07, 2021 at 04:04 PM.

Domesticus

Actually, I don't think there's that much of a difference in scale compared to Shogun 2. What is different is the amount of detail in terms of mountain passes and riveres and overall detail.

Yep, first gen, however I must say that the old i7 920 served me quite well.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly with your comment on armour upgrades.

I do have a list of regions and settlement names. But it's just that: a list.

As for vassal units, I intend to add an ability for the player to revive defeated factions and have them act as vassals/close allies.

Also, I take it that you don't have any pictures of your modded units anymore?

Unfortunately I no longer have the mod installed.

I have some changes made with the "Imjin War of Korea" mod.

I stopped by a long time ago!

Can you send me the list of settlements in the various regions? I'd just like to check for any vassals clans for each settlement.
    Last edited by Crociato78; January 07, 2021 at 08:25 AM.

Unfortunately I no longer have the mod installed.

I have some changes made with the "Imjin War of Korea" mod.

I stopped by a long time ago!

Can you send me the list of settlements in the various regions? I'd just like to check for any vassals clans for each settlement.
    Ah, I see. Well, too bad, I guess. If I may ask, what changes did you make on the Imjin War mod?

No problem. Here's the descr_regions.txt file that I'm using at the moment. That in combination with the map on the first page should give you all the info about regions and castles/settlements.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Razor; January 07, 2021 at 04:23 PM.

Also a small update. As you might have learned that work on the mod has been slow the past few months. However I'm back to modding since this week so I expect things to go faster. I'm working on finishing 3D assets such as weapons (a variety of naginata, yumi longbow, quivers, teppo ammo pouches). I'm currently working on a number of tetsubo/kanabo.

I also realize that I haven't shown any ashigaru yet. Oh well, here are a few shots of some of the stuff I've been working on:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails naginata.jpg   quiver and ammo pouch.jpg   yumi longbows.jpg   01.jpg   02.jpg  

03.jpg   04.jpg  

Fantastic work, as usual

Do you make the textures completely from scratch? The naginatas are beautiful!
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Thanks.

I make most of the textures completely from scratch. Only a few snippets come from elsewhere but they have been used as a base and have been reworked quite a bit to make them work with my own textures and models.
    Last edited by Razor; January 08, 2021 at 09:47 AM.