Thread: Any way for cabinet members to become president and/or generals?

Default Any way for cabinet members to become president and/or generals?

Is it possible to have a cabinet member get elected to the presidency in a republic? Also, are they able to become generals?

If not, are there any mods that do this?

Default Re: Any way for cabinet members to become president and/or generals?

I would also be interested in knowing whether something like this was available in a mod.

Hi, indeed it is not possible, when a king dies, his heir ascends to the throne, in the absense of an heir, a sussession war may take place. Ministers just give bonuses depending on their skill and traits. I donīt think there is a mod to do that.

It's one of those things I would have always liked to have seen in Empire. I haven't heard of such a mod but if someone knows of one, feel free to enlighten me.

Here's hoping we'll get that in Empire 2 if it ever becomes a thing.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

It also sucks that you can't have your king or members of cabinet as generals. Warrior-kings > cucks in powdered wigs that hide in the capitol.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

It also sucks that you can't have your king or members of cabinet as generals. Warrior-kings > cucks in powdered wigs that hide in the capitol.
    I mean, most kings didnīt fought in the frontline anymore, due to the lethality of gunpowder weapons, but still some did like George II.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser_Alex View Post
    I mean, most kings didnīt fought in the frontline anymore, due to the lethality of gunpowder weapons, but still some did like George II.
    Historically, sure, but my problem is that it makes the gameplay more dull. Also, you can't do a George Washington and have generals become politicians. It basically separates the political and the military parts of the campaign.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

EDIT: Sorry, my internet Australia'd and accidentally double posted.
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; September 07, 2018 at 11:52 AM.

Sure, I agree we should have the ability to make kings generals, perhaps only if they had a certain trait like "troop commander" or something, and maybe, when there is a rebelion that creates an emergent faction like the USA, there is a chance the general of the rebel army becomes national lider

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser_Alex View Post
    Sure, I agree we should have the ability to make kings generals, perhaps only if they had a certain trait like "troop commander" or something, and maybe, when there is a rebelion that creates an emergent faction like the USA, there is a chance the general of the rebel army becomes national lider
    Can't see them fixing this game after all this time now though. Maybe in Empire 2 lol

We can hope.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Since they've implemented this feature nicely with Rome 2 and Attila, I really hope Empire 2 has it too.

As in, Attila (even better than Rome 2) turns all people into "characters" that you can use any way you wish. You can assign them to one post, call them back, assign them to something else, its all up to you.

- You can make them generals, and the army/legion they'll lead will record their name.

- You can make them admirals, and sail with your fleets.

- You can call them back home, and they will engage in politics, family relations and friendships and rivalries (including sometimes murdering or dueling each other).

- You can assign them as ministers and courtiers, and they'll do their job and affect your nation until they serve their terms or you manually remove them from power.

- You can make them governors and send them to your provinces in any place across your empire. Their traits and personalities will affect things in the province heavily.

- They have their own family trees, or at least in theory. Also, at certain age you can make kids join an army as an observer under tutelage of a general, which would give him great amount of combat experience and training from an early age.

- Disloyal characters can rebel, and disloyal governors might take their provinces away with them and secede, generals would rebel with their legions and armies, and rogue admirals will take the fleet you assigned them.

- This ties well into the entire political power mechanism that Attila had - your central government only had a level of control. If your government becomes too weak (bad ruler with bad traits, incompetent ministers, internal political issues), the disloyal characters will eventually start a massive civil war.

- Rome 2 demostrates that you can even have political parties and factions within your nations that these characters can join and come from. Sadly that game did not have any actual elections, republics or democracy but the base mechanisms were there.

This system would work perfectly for Empire 2.

Many kings did not fight in battles themselves, but that thing was still not completely uncommon. Almost every Indian emperor until 1803 led gigantic armies in person, to the point that three of them were captured against Persians or the British. This was because India after 1761 was a collapsing imperial power in general and had a situation similar to the dark-age WRE.

There is the entire Prussian monarchy where kings were more like commanders than kings. Austrian and Russian Emperors also led troops. Most newer republics of this time were founded by military men, and presidents of older republics also often commanded armies if needed. By late game you have a resurgence of monarchs trying to lead troops.

The Attila-style system also allows one or two rare female commanders by event, like Empress Tarabai and queen Ahilyabai in mid-18th century India.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक