Thread: Western Greek general portraits submod!!!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon11 Western Greek general portraits submod!!!

This sub-mod of Europa Barbarorum II provides new portrait UI cards for Western Greek and Roman generals/officers/family members. The game currently uses the old RTW portraits, which lack variety, while this new sub-mod provides unique portrait cards for your various generals and faction family members. The portraits are derived from screenshots taken of Hellenistic units in the game, with modified portraits for generals over the age of 50 (shown with white and grey hair to represent ageing of your characters).

Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to do the same for the Eastern Greeks. Perhaps someone else can make a little submod for that.

INSTALLATION:
    Once you have downloaded the zip file, extract the contents of the "data" folder directly to your "EB II" folder, which is located within the "mods" folder of your Medieval II: Total War game. DO NOT extract the zip file to any other folder, only the EB II one. A message will prompt you about replacing files; just click yes. If you did not receive this message, then you have done something wrong. I would advise backing up the game files, particularly the "ui" folder within the "data" folder of EBII.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    Available on TWC center: CLICK HERE

OLDER SUBMOD:
    There is an older version of this submod, one that uses ancient Greco-Roman, Renaissance, and Neo-Classical era paintings for Western Greek and Roman generals' portraits. You can visit the old thread here.

PREVIEW:

ALTERNATIVE PORTRAITS:

Alternatively, you can use these photorealistic portraits instead! The images come from either sword-and-sandal/Greco-Roman-themed films and TV shows, from modern-day reenactments of Classical-era battles, or from random pics of actual present-day Greek celebrities such as actors, athletes, and models. Just like finding Waldo, see if you can spot John Stamos!

Just follow the same installation instructions as above, using the download link here.

PREVIEW:
    Last edited by Roma_Victrix; February 07, 2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Alternative portraits, photorealistic version

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Western Greek general portraits submod!!!

Nice work, Roma_Victrix! I always thought it was silly having multiple generals with the same faces... somehow were there that many twins in ancient Greece?!

This looks a good addition to the game. Why doesn't CA attempt this kind of attention to detail, I don't know. Medieval 2's character system is still the best, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Nice work, Roma_Victrix! I always thought it was silly having multiple generals with the same faces... somehow were there that many twins in ancient Greece?!

This looks a good addition to the game. Why doesn't CA attempt this kind of attention to detail, I don't know. Medieval 2's character system is still the best, imo.
    Thanks! I agree, it's somewhat silly to have so many generals that look almost identical (even if they're supposed to be from the same dynastic line in your family tree). I also agree about the M2TW character system, if not the battle mechanics in M2TW. Even if I had a better computer (not a laptop with a crap HD graphics family card), I still probably wouldn't bother buying Rome II Total War for that very reason. I'd sooner play the first Rome Total War, because the mods Roma Surrectum II and Invasio Barbarorum kick ass. For Medieval II we have the mods EB II, De Bello Mundi, Third Age Total War, Stainless Steel, SSHIP, The Italian Wars, 1648, and Westeros Total War, with the Game of Thrones submod. That's plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Plus rep Roma!
    Though I ought to give you an infraction instead for taking you so long to make this, you got me in a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Plus rep Roma!
    Though I ought to give you an infraction instead for taking you so long to make this, you got me in a good day!
    Glad you liked it, now check out the update with the new photo-realistic alternative version that you can download. In addition to pics from modern-day reenactments of Classical-period battles and small, modified shots from Greco-Roman-themed films and TV shows (each one slightly altered with shading and lighting to avoid copyright issues), the portraits also include a ton of actual present-day Greek celebrities (athletes, models, and actors). These guys include Lakis Komninos, Kostas Martakis, Apostolis Totsikas, Theo Theodoridis, Dmitris Vlaxos, Giorgos Bogris, Dimitris Papadakis, Alexandros Tzorvas, Omiros Poulakis, Orestis Tziovas, Giorgos Sabanis, and of course the king of all Greeks, John Stamos.

Now with these mamsy-pamsy actors and models you can finally unleash and properly release the Kraken upon your foes, the enemies of Greece.

Just to screw with you guys, I should have seriously included Liam Neeson's Zeus as one of the portraits. Oh well, I'll do it next time.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Glad you liked it, now check out the update with the new photo-realistic alternative version that you can download. In addition to pics from modern-day reenactments of Classical-period battles and small, modified shots from Greco-Roman-themed films and TV shows (each one slightly altered with shading and lighting to avoid copyright issues), the portraits also include a ton of actual present-day Greek celebrities (athletes, models, and actors). These guys include Lakis Komninos, Kostas Martakis, Apostolis Totsikas, Theo Theodoridis, Dmitris Vlaxos, Giorgos Bogris, Dimitris Papadakis, Alexandros Tzorvas, Omiros Poulakis, Orestis Tziovas, Giorgos Sabanis, and of course the king of all Greeks, John Stamos.
    Where is the link?

Now with these mamsy-pamsy actors and models you can finally unleash and properly release the Kraken upon your foes, the enemies of Greece.
    Oh, you Kraken me up...

Just to screw with you guys, I should have seriously included Liam Neeson's Zeus as one of the portraits. Oh well, I'll do it next time.
    I'd rather have Anthony Quinn as Zeus from Xena/Hercules.
    Last edited by paleologos; February 07, 2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Where is the link?
    It's right there above the preview picture, in bold lettering. I can paste it here as well if needs be: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4342

Thg170's Avatar Libertus

Nice Work!

I have myself made similar UI portrait folders for Romans Eastern Greek Nomad and Barbarian factions for my own personal use, using mainly actors from historically based films and TV series (along with a few images from Osprey book illustrations). Ive been thinking of uploading them to TWC, but was unsure about if there could be copyright issues due to using pictures of real life actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thg170 View Post
    Nice Work!

I have myself made similar UI portrait folders for Romans Eastern Greek Nomad and Barbarian factions for my own personal use, using mainly actors from historically based films and TV series (along with a few images from Osprey book illustrations). Ive been thinking of uploading them to TWC, but was unsure about if there could be copyright issues due to using pictures of real life actors.
    You can upload snipped images and screenshots from movies. People do that all the time on TWC. Just alter the image slightly with lighting or shading, even the smallest amount. You cannot, however, use paintings taken from Osprey books. That's a no-no, I'm afraid.