Thread: Problem AI has with Indian faction while assaulting cities.

Default Problem AI has with Indian faction while assaulting cities.

AI usually assaults cities in one column, while having a siege tower and ladder equipped units on the both sides of the attacking column. The column is led by unit which pushes the battering ram. When the gate is breached the usual cluster ensues at the gate.

However, Indian faction AI has a problem with city assaults. Namely, it positions its unit with battering ram to the right of the main attack column, which causes battering ram never to be used in the siege at all. Leading to mass clobbering of units trying to assault through ladder and siege tower at the same time, usually getting stuck in the process (looks like M2TW problem). This happened twice in my current campaign. Though in both cases assaulting Indian army had chariots and in one case an actual elephant unit. Indian AI faction has been the only elephant wielding faction against me up to this point in the campaign, so maybe elephant type units cause this problem for the AI.

Default Re: Problem AI has with Indian faction while assaulting cities.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do about elephants causing siege issues; the engine thinks they are a battering ram, even though that ability was removed in M2TW.

That's why we changed the bodyguard unit for Taksashila to an infantry one, so that at least these would be less frequent occurrences.

Default Re: Problem AI has with Indian faction while assaulting cities.

I know that chariot is an elephant type unit, but was it ever possible in Rome to breach the gate with chariots? Also, if elephant type units are killed or made to run amok during the process of siege, does that mean AI would proceed afterwards as usual with the battering ram?