Thread: Regarding Foreign Buildings

Default Regarding Foreign Buildings

Hey guys,

I'm a new player to DEI and after a long war with Carthage I've settled down for a few years of absorbing my newly conquered lands. I've noticed that foreign buildings have a tag on them that says they may not give all their positive effects, and may also give negative effects, but no further details. However, when I go into the province window and mouse over the sources of income, the foreign buildings at least seem to be giving me as much income as they should, and it doesn't seem to be affecting public order either according to the public order breakdown. It would make sense to me that having one's own buildings would increase culture conversion and therefore public order, but when I mouse over the converted buildings no such bonus appears to be apparent. Having done some looking around on the internet, I was able to find one steam discussion page on this question where everybody gave conflicting answers.

So, my question to you is: does anyone know for sure what the effects of foreign buildings are as opposed to one's own buildings, and whether it is actually worthwhile to convert these buildings?

Default Re: Regarding Foreign Buildings

You can also train many of your troops with a foreign barracks. I guess I always assumed that they caused "local traditions" in the culture section, but alas I never checked.

I've wondered this as well- currently I don't convert many buildings for quite awhile and still have come Celtic buildings in Italy and Punic building in Africa despite being 100 turns past conquering those areas. However some buildings that aren't available to your faction or require technology your faction does not have access to or give bonuses that don't matter make sense to convert. That list is fairly small for most factions and I am probably converting more than optimal but some of it just feels appropriate as the cost of new settlement and administration.

I could not detect any differences in speed of a new culture converting either- I used Illyria and Pannonia as my tests while playing as Rome- in Illyria I did not convert anything and in Pannonia I converted everything. It took almost the exact same number of turns to reach 50% Roman though Illyria eventually pulled ahead due to slightly more influence somewhere before 70% so it seems convert or not matters not at all for speed of cultural change.
    Last edited by Ichon; February 24, 2018 at 09:17 PM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Not sure about the Foreign buildings effects. I could check the tables later and let you know.
    @Ichon good points.

I usually leave trade ports unconverted if I have enough food, when playing as barbarians.