Thread: Some observations / hints for the new players of DLV6.2-BB4.36

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Some observations / hints for the new players of DLV6.2-BB4.36

Hi Guys,
    I’ve relatively recently played the DLV (half a year ago). It was the second time, the previous was in 2012. I can see significant improvements to that version. It took me some time to get through the intricacies of this mod, so I want to share a few thought or findings to make the life of the new players easier.

· Play only DLV6.2-BB4.36 with Sandy’s units, 2H fix, archers’ fix (no sense to get to the old version, or the bugged 6.3).
    · Don’t read the manual – in the BB version some many elements were either cut out or heavily modified that it really doesn’t make sense or even worse – it blurs the picture. However, read the BB description and check beforehand those pop-out windows to get your bearings.
    · Don’t expect very in-depth historicity. The mod starts in 1180, there’re historical names or units, but the shape of the cities is very un-historic. You play this mod for fun of playing, not for historical immersion.
    · Economy is complicated, economy trumps other aspects, and economy is one of the most exciting features of the mod. However, as said, don’t expect it to be very historical.
    · There is a very strong distinction between castles and the cities. The former provide most of your troops, while the latter are more important: they provide money. Each of them gives more-or-less 10 times more income than a castle.
    · Free upkeep is essential for you to keep going. Minor cities give 3, forts 4. And there’re many forts. It’s the way you can make your money for buildings’ investment: keep the whole army as free upkeep.
    · First stage is always to clear your empire from the rebels and to take the forts back.
    · You’ll be given very many missions quite useful. You can make a lot of money fulfilling them.

I hope it would help somebody in having fun.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: Some observations / hints for the new players of DLV6.2-BB4.36

Well mate, i see some sense in your words, having played both with and without BB, though quite some time ago...there are mini mods that i would like to be playing with nowadays, however the links are dead, so after spending some time pondering about all the variables i decided to keep just the 6.2. Clean.

But then again, this BB mod seems to be relatively fresh and updated, so i might give it a try.

Since you have already offered your opinion on the matter, i have one more question for you - if one (in this case me) doesnt really care about the models of units, or battlefield in general (as in, doesnt really play battles, just goes for the auto resolve), is this sub-mod still worth it? I care predominantly about the role-play elements, economy, and such and such, not battles in themselves, and all those sub-mods you have stated to give the best playing experience seem like they are only applicable in combat.

My answer is: no, it's not. I think the mod is too dated. I've expressed my advice here.
    If you mean role-playing as being historical and creating a new history for yourself, then SSHIP/BC seem right for the Middle Ages, while EBII and TATW excel for the other settings. Overall, I find TATW and EBII as the crowning achievements of what can be done with the M2TW engine (both campaign and the battles).
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Opinions and tastes are subjectives, like you said. So is the concept of being historical, or dated actually. To me, knowing if some units models are supposed to look like exactly as described in some unverifiable books, short of time traveling machine, or if they were wearing pants in battle is not only irrelevant, but a waste of time. It change nothing to the gameplay, which can be close enough to what little we know of history, or not but more than appearances should be looked at before labeling things into categories, though I know it's human to fool ourselves that way.

Sorry, I often shut it when I see posts trying to compare mods or labelling them into 'bests' and 'lesser', but this kind of statement have something depressing:

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Overall, I find TATW and EBII as the crowning achievements of what can be done with the M2TW engine (both campaign and the battles).
    Unlike you I never play anything except to test my modding, so I feel uncomfortable to say if this is true but the above sentence just give the wrong idea that nothing new can be achieved anymore, and this, I know first hand it's not true.

I was just asked for an opinion so I simply answered it. I think that nothing in my opinion on the TATW and EBII implies that "nothing new can be achieved anymore". I think it can, especially that the EBII claims the mod to be "nothing from being finished". I just meant that in my opinions these mods are the best.

Actually, I'm not against making assessments and comparisons of the mods. As one comes to the TWC webpage he is faced with dozens of mods. He cannot know what is in each of them, which one he should start with. There're some shortcuts possible (eg looking at the number of the posts - the more posts the higher the probability that the mod is matured) but these are far from perfect. The personal opinions are similarly far from perfect but they give additional information. A new (or returning) player has to assess the credibility of the person voicing the opinion and he may heed the advice or not. I think it's fair play. Different things matter for different people so in the longer reviews I describe what's important for me (see the beginning here).
    If there're no reviews and comparisons each player would have to play every mod to check what's worth - and people simply have no time for it.

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Can someone link to the two-handed fix? Or was Jurand talking about the animation fix? The archer fix is here.
    Aut prodesse voluit aut delectare auctor aut simul et iucunda et idonea dicere vitae.

Medieval II Stuff: Medieval & Viking Invasion music addon | Bellum Crucis Enhanced All-In-One | Elendil's Font Packs & Eye Candy | Alba di Rinascita - Fonts pack (included in the former) | The Eldar Scrolls - Fonts pack