Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTW and M2TW soundtrack submod for EB II v. 2.3

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon6 RTW and M2TW soundtrack submod for EB II v. 2.3

UPDATE: see my new thread here for EBII v.2.35 using Audiomachine, X-Ray Dog and Two Steps from Hell tracks!
    UPDATE 2: I have released a new RTW & M2TW soundtrack submod for EBII v. 2.35a R3.5, which can be found here.

Sons of motherless goats!

Come ye, scurvy Mediterranean sea dogs, gather round and bear witness to the ultimate Rome Total War and Medieval II Total War soundtrack submod for Europa Barbarorum II, v. 2.3, the new release!!!!! This submod for Europa Barbarorum II, or EB II includes original M2TW and RTW music for the main menu, campaign map, and battle map portions of the game. Most of the original EB II music for the campaign map has been retained, although there is now a greater variety of music overall, so you won't get bored listening to the same background music over and over again. Only one track from the original EB II score has been retained for the battle map, though. Everything else has been changed!

Okay bro, tell us why we should like, care about your lame submod:

I'm glad you asked, smartass! Wake up and pay attention, Mr. Spicoli! Did you forget the genius that was Jeff Van Dyck? Here are the soundtracks for RTW and M2TW, for those TW players who were infants at the time or lived in a cave or, atlernatively, under a rock before the year 2006:

Track listing used in this submod:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For the CAMPAIGN MAP:
    20_Autumn.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    16_Roman_Julii_Intro.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    35_Melancholy.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    14_Divinitus.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    34_Lonely_Strategos.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    25_Rome_Total_War.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    eb_main_theme_wip.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    eb_victory.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    celtica.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    celtic_pride.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    eb_roman_theme.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    eb_semitic_theme.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    eb_western_greek_theme2.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    juno_protect_you.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    mediterranean_waves.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_amatores.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_glory_of_the_parthenon.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_ode_to_ancient_rome.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_ode_to_athena.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_procession_of_the_olympians.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_rite_of_baal.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_sacred_flame_of_vesta.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_the_tablets_of_moses.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_tranquillitas.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    michael_levy_tristitia.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)
    nomad_tpc_nomad2_watchingtheherd.mp3 (from Europa Barbarorum II)

For the BATTLE MAP:

13_Death_Approaches.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    08_Caesar_s_Nightmare.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    01_Journey_to_Rome_Part_I.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    15_Drums_of_Doom.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    bonus_epic.mp3 (a cool bonus track that was never actually used in the official release of Rome Total War!!!)
    03_Warrior_March.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    17_Army_of_Drums.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    21_Mobilize.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    28_Soldiers_Chant.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    36_Roman_Brutii_Intro.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    37_Roman_Scipii_Intro.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    09_Enemy_is_Near.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    (mediterranean_mobilize_2)_death_lullaby.mp3 (from Medieval II Total War)
    (mediterranean_mobilize_1)_mare_nostrum.mp3 (from Medieval II Total War)
    10_Imperial_Conflict.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    04_Mayhem.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    18_Melee_Cafe.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    22_Romantic_Battle.mp3 (from Rome Total War)
    (arabic_battle_2)_wind_cuts.mp3 (from Medieval II Total War)
    Crusaders.mp3 (from Medieval II Total War)
    Darker_Skies_Ahead.mp3 (from Medieval II Total War)
    War_of_Kings.mp3 (from Medieval II Total War)

Okay dude, but surely there's like, a disclaimer for all this awesomeness and stuff?
    This submod contains music for those who already technically own Rome Total War and Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms. It is assumed that you own these games or these soundtracks prior to downloading this submod! If you don't, you can support the author and original composer Jeff Van Dyck by following this link here.

Excellent! That sounds pretty gnarly, brotendo, but is there a previous version I should know about?
    See my previous thread for the same soundtrack designed for EB II v. 2.2, if that's what you're still playing.

Slow your horses there, Brosef Stalin: is it save-game compatible?
    Just to be emphatically clear, this submod is also save-game compatible! You can immediately patch your existing EB II game at any point in time and the music will work automatically. It's pretty hassle-free and still contains all the new audio files for v. 2.3.

Dude, how do I like, install this thing?
    1) Download the RAR file, locate it on your computer (should be in your "downloads" folder)

2) Extract the RAR file directly to your EB II ("ebii") folder within the "mods" folder of your Medieval II game. DO NOT extract it to any other folder than the EB II one.

3) When asked to overwrite any and all files, simply click yes. If it did not ask you to overwrite any files, then you have done something wrong and have chosen the wrong installation path.

4) Boot the game up and enjoy the new tunes!

I don't want to sound like a total spaz or nothing, but should I like...take any precautions or back things up before downloading?
    I would advise backing up your game if you have not already done so; at the very least make a backup for your "sounds" folder in the "data" folder of your EB II mod. That way you can replace the files with the originals if you want to have the original soundtrack back in the game!

If for some reason you do not have a file archiving tool for extracting RAR and ZIP files, there are a number of available ones you could download for free online. I would suggest using WINRAR if you don't have it.

DOWNLOAD LINK
    Download link: CLICK HERE (or search for it on ModDB.com). Scroll down a bit and hit the big red button labeled "download now". You can't miss it. If you do, then go the optometrist and update your eyeglasses prescription. Make sure and check that you're a righteous dude before downloading, though. Only the righteous may play. Only the strong...

Last edited by Roma_Victrix; March 19, 2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: bolding text

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Default Re: RTW and M2TW soundtrack submod for EB II v. 2.3

So... this mod mixes EBII soundtrack with both RTW and M2TW one? Might give it a try sometimes, I did like some of the RTW campaign music.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    So... this mod mixes EBII soundtrack with both RTW and M2TW one? Might give it a try sometimes, I did like some of the RTW campaign music.
    Yes, just to be clear it mixes original EB II tracks with RTW and M2TW ones on the campaign map.

However, there is only one EB II track used for the battle map, which now almost exclusively uses RTW and M2TW music.

The main-menu music also uses the RTW intro themes, although you can still hear the EB II intro theme from time to time on the campaign map and during loading screens.

Where's the Steel Panther?

Thanks for the heads up, this looks most interesting. Your pictures made me chuckle ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Where's the Steel Panther?
    Why? Racer X isn't good enough for you, Myarta?

If you're very good, I might add "Death to All but Metal" by Steel Panther as a battle song in a special release.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, this looks most interesting. Your pictures made me chuckle ;-)
    No problemo, mi amigo. I think you'll enjoy it. Hell, it's almost guaranteed. Who the hell doesn't like Jeff Van Dyck's original scores? Among TW players, that is. Personally I add all kinds of music from stuff like Audiomachine, Two Steps from Hell, and X-Ray-Dog to my own personal version of the game, but it's never a bad thing to have RTW and M2TW music.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh my, I almost died of laughter at the sight of that Greek warrior brandishing a pink guitar. CA should seriously have hired you to design their most recent games, Roma_Victrix!

I too have found the sountrack somewhat mindblowingly repetitive in my Pergamon campaign. I'm downloading your submod now.

The other issue I have with EBII:

1. AI is too passive on the campaign map. The Seleucids had 3 full stacks just sitting there for about 50 turns, ignoring a rebel stack on their territory that they could easily have crushed. The Ptolemies likewise garrisoned their 1 settlement that bordered me with a full stack but never did anything or made any move to attack me for like 50 turns (despite being at war). They also refused to even consider a ceasefire during all that time, with my offer consistently rejected as "very demanding".

2. Battles in cities are broken. They take so long! Even on speed-up maximum speed, I'm sitting there fast-forwarding for 10 minutes just waiting for enemy warriors to die, damn it. That isn't good gameplay, it's boring. Something needs to be done!

Anyway that's all outside the purview of this musical submod but feel free to quote my post if you feel any of it applies in more general EBII discussions.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; February 10, 2018 at 05:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Oh my, I almost died of laughter at the sight of that Greek warrior brandishing a pink guitar. CA should seriously have hired you to design their most recent games, Roma_Victrix!
    Heh, it felt obnoxious doing that in photoshop, but the end result is awesomely stupid...or stupidly awesome, or stupidly funny? Either way it's great.

Actually, the dude holding the pink guitar isn't a Greek at all, despite his Hellenistic-styled gear and armor. He's actually a Carthaginian sacred band soldier (of the older model before 2.3), so culturally he would have been Semitic. I'm sure they have pink guitars somewhere in Tunisia these days, although I'm not sure if Tunisia has any 80s-style heavy metal bands like Racer X.

I too have found the sountrack somewhat mindblowingly repetitive in my Pergamon campaign. I'm downloading your submod now.

The other issue I have with EBII:

1. AI is too passive on the campaign map. The Seleucids had 3 full stacks just sitting there for about 50 turns, ignoring a rebel stack on their territory that they could easily have crushed. The Ptolemies likewise garrisoned their 1 settlement that bordered me with a full stack but never did anything or made any move to attack me for like 50 turns (despite being at war). They also refused to even consider a ceasefire during all that time, with my offer consistently rejected as "very demanding".
    I'm glad that you brought this up, because there is a way to force the enemy to accept such diplomatic gestures. It's the "forced diplomacy" script written into the game; all you have to do is hit the little question mark ("?") button at the top right of the diplomatic scroll before finalizing your diplomatic negotiation. Voila! The other faction will accept any terms that you have, so long as you are offering something in return (it could be as small as 100 mnai in cash or just map information... don't abuse this, though, because you could literally force the enemy to hand over all their cities minus their capital in exchange for like 50 mnai and some map information). The forced diplomacy option also won't work if you demand money from a faction that is bankrupt. If they are bankrupt, just ask for something else like peace or map information or trade rights.

2. Battles in cities are broken. They take so long! Even on speed-up maximum speed, I'm sitting there fast-forwarding for 10 minutes just waiting for enemy warriors to die, damn it. That isn't good gameplay, it's boring. Something needs to be done!
    Battles in EBII do take much longer than regular M2TW mods, it is true. I've gotten used to it, to be honest. Historically field battles in Antiquity would have lasted for quite a long time and sieges in virtually any period obviously lasted weeks and sometimes months or a whole year. Field battles in the Early Modern period were typically a bit shorter due to the power of gunpowder weaponry, but there were still plenty of long battles, especially since larger and larger armies got involved (especially by the Napoleonic period). Sieges of cities and castles with walls built in the "Trace Italien" or Star Fort design (i.e. thick, low-lying walls that could resist cannon fire) could also last a very long time during the Renaissance, Early Modern and Modern periods. I tend to be glad that there's at least a 45-minute time limit on such things in our game, and that we have the fast-forwarding, sped-up time options.

Anyway that's all outside the purview of this musical submod but feel free to quote my post if you feel any of it applies in more general EBII discussions.
    I don't mind going off-topic just a little. I'm glad you downloaded the submod!

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I'm glad you downloaded the submod!
    It's amazing how much difference to the game this music mod makes. I'm now enjoying the campaign a lot more - in fact I enjoyed it so much I am now at 99 turns. That's a lot for me, especially considering I wasn't even that serious about the campaign when I started! Just played like 50+ turns today all in one hit.

What a great music submod. Hearing the majestic sound of those Jeff Van Dyck tunes really does bring home just how good they are. Smashing an enemy army of 3000 men with just 200 casualties, all to the sound of awesome drums and dramatic music has never been greater! I also got much more appreciation of the graphical epicness of EBII somehow as well - perhaps the inspiring music was just what I needed to get me into the immersion of the game. Whatever it was, it's been fantastic.

So far I've conquered nearly all of the territory of the modern day Republic of Turkey, including the bit in Thrace (Byzantion) in the name of Pergamon. However, there are those who oppose us. The Armenians lurk to the east of Amasya, and the kingdom of Pontos has somehow survived the thrashing I gave them by clinging onto Georgia. Meanwhile the treacherous Macedonians have betrayed me and attacked from the west, seizing Crete. To make matters worse, constant rebel stacks spawning in Anatolia have delayed my righteous retribution. But it will come. How glorious it shall be, when my armies finally complete the defeat of Pontos and then turn west to exact vengeance upon those Macedonian dogs.

I am enjoying this campaign
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Hi RV,

In light of wanting to make my game a lot more personalized I'm thinking of adding songs from Alexander, A Knight's Tale and Kingdom of Heaven in there.

Any way I can do this to your mod? Would I have to just put the songs in sounds/music and then type the song names into descr_sounds_music - is it that simple?

Thanks!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

With you expirience...Can MWT-1 sounds and misic added to a Kingdoms mod?
    The Islamic and other music of Medieval 1 TW were EPIC.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

So...will this work for 2.35, ro will this be updated for it?

GROB's Avatar Civis

Hi Sar1n, this music mod works great with my 2.35.

Yeah, I haven't tested it for 2.35 at all. Thanks for the confirmation, GROB! At the moment I'm actually making a purely Audiomachine soundtrack for both campaign and battle map. Not sure if anyone wants me to share it, though.

GROB's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Yeah, I haven't tested it for 2.35 at all. Thanks for the confirmation, GROB! At the moment I'm actually making a purely Audiomachine soundtrack for both campaign and battle map. Not sure if anyone wants me to share it, though.
    The music sounds fantastic. I say, go ahead with it.

EDIT: nevermind, everything works great now, this sound mod is fantastic!!!
    Last edited by Krampus; March 15, 2019 at 01:04 AM.

Hey, so, this is really cool, but I do kind of miss the old M2TW intro theme. I noticed that the track is included in the pack, but changing the descr_sounds_music file does nothing, and if I delete the events and music .dat and .itx files then the game fails at rebuilding them properly (only the title theme change goes through, but trying to load a saved game fails).

TLDR: How did you create your custom events.dat, events.itx, music.dat, and music.itx files?

Thanks for the praises! To make your own custom music, you have to edit the existing "descr_sounds_music" file in the data folder by writing out the names of the tracks you want AFTER you have placed those said tracks in the "music" folder within the "sounds" folder (and again, the "sounds" folder is in the EBII "data" folder). After you do all of that, you delete the events and music files in the sounds folder and reboot the game, allowing it to rebuild those files. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the music but your submod messes up Celtic voices and some Hellenistic ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    Thanks for the music but your submod messes up Celtic voices and some Hellenistic ones as well.
    It hasn't been updated in a long time, it will just pave over any new voice commands unfortunately. I might consider coming out with a new version sometime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast