Thread: Late Roman Era Campaign Map

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Icon3 Late Roman Era Campaign Map

Late Roman Era Map by Razor using Map Base Folder by Gigantus

This release contains:

- Campaign Map covering Europe the Middle East and Persia
    - Map Base Folder by Gigantus allowing an easy start for mods
    - Campaign map textures taken and reworked from Rome:TW mod Roma Surrectum 2
    - 12 Turns Per Year script
    - Script to hide strat map HUD using the "scroll lock" button done by Userpro

This map was developed to be part of a late Roman mod set in 308 AD. It tried to achieve a realistic looking campaign map and so far it looks pretty good. It never got finished and this map was just 'gathering dust' on my hard disk. I'm releasing this thinking that maybe someone else interested in a Roman era mod might find it useful. It still needs polishing and revamping, but everything is there.

This map is free for everyone to use as he/she pleases only if ANY map based on this map is free for everyone else to use for modding as well. M2TW is an old game and in order to keep the modding community alive we shouldn't be working against one another by keeping stuff away from one another. A mentioning in the credits would be appreciated.

To install simply copy the late_roman_era_map folder to Medieval II Total War/mods and everything's good to go.

I hope this map may be of some help to some one.

Cheers! Razor

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5098af...an_era_map.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000.jpg   0009.jpg   0008.jpg   0002.jpg   0007.jpg  

0015.jpg   0016.jpg   0017.jpg   0024.jpg   0019.jpg  

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Late Roman Era Campaign Map

Brings back memories of the PDeR map, nice coastal smoothing.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Simply beautiful. +rep and then some. If I ever revive my old Dark Ages WIP, I reckon this would fit it perfectly.

The textures are fantastic. How much reworking went into them, and are they in use for any mods that you know of?

EDIT: It might be worth uploading/mirroring here on TWC for posterity:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...hp?do=cat&id=7
    Last edited by Frunk; January 29, 2018 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Brings back memories of the PDeR map, nice coastal smoothing.
    What is the PDeR map if I may ask? As for the coastal smoothing, thanks. It literally took me almost zero effort. I used a tutorial to get smooth coasts using only one layer in Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Simply beautiful. +rep and then some. If I ever revive my old Dark Ages WIP, I reckon this would fit it perfectly.

The textures are fantastic. How much reworking went into them, and are they in use for any mods that you know of?

EDIT: It might be worth uploading/mirroring here on TWC for posterity:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...hp?do=cat&id=7
    Thanks, it should fit a dark age setting quite well.

The textures you see here are altered to fit my own map, so they aren't used in any other mod. However I do know that there are other mods that use RSII stratmap textures. IIRC Third Age TW does too or am I imagining things? Anyway, the reworking was usually a slight recoloring or getting rid of an obvious pattern within the texture as much as possible.

As for uploading the map to TWC, I might do that. I tried uploading to TWC earlier but that wasn't very successful. Maybe I just did it wrong. I'm such a noob at those things.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

PDeR = Pro Deo et Rege

One of the first mods I worked on, used the default map and extended it eastward.

Ah yes. I see what you mean. The PDeR map also extends exactly as much eastward as my map does.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

This map is so beautiful... By the size of it, I was worried it won't go past Margiane in the East, but, judging by the mini-map in the first screenshot, it goes all the way to Baktria. I don't have time now, but I'm planning of doing some modding during the summer and this map will sure come handy.

If I could give you a 100 reps, I would, but I can give you just one.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

I think i will use this map for my new mod until I finish my one : Great job !

Hi everyone, hi Razor.
    I have been continuing on the project of Invasio Barbarorum II: Conquestu Britanniae and reworked it so deeply it's become 'Insularis Draco' (you can find it on moddb).
    These Roman units look absolutely gorgeous and would complement my mod perfectly. Can I use them? Credits will obviously be given. It would improve the quality of our Roman battlemap side by 100%!