Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Ch.17 Part 2 updated 20/08)

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Ch.13 updated 13/05)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Magnus still needs to learn much of what it means to be a king and Otgiva is really a nice asset for Magnus and the Danish Kingdom in that regard. Not everything can be solved with brute force. Magnus the Warrior will have to change into Magnus the King if the Danish are to survive.

A great continuation to be sure!
    Magnus has been prepared almost since birth to be a general, while his brother had been intended to be king, so it is understandable that he sometimes lacks diplomacy and patience, though you are correct, Otgiva ballances this nicely (though technically she is still a guest in Denmark).
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I agree with all the comments. Otgiva is indeed an interesting character you are developing here. As to the dissolution of the Council. I agree the Council should be dissolved, but reform it with the assembly of the Nobles. It may even be interesting to ask them for their personal loyalty to be on the newly reformed council.
    As Harald and Erik pointed out, the king is backed by most nobles in Denmark and should he take some or all of their decision-making power, more than just a few would be angry. As it stands, though unfortunately, they are tied not only by Magnus' lineage, but also by the disaster that has recently befallen Denmark.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Ch.13 updated 13/05)

Chapter 14 – The Three Ladies

I found myself wandering the empty halls, alone. Dimly lit corridors stretched before me, unending, while servants scurried to and fro, their ghostlike footsteps indicating they didn’t want to cross paths with the king. With Erik in Lund and Harald in Kalmar, I felt alone once more, though now I had sense enough to know it was but a fleeting moment. I was lucky enough to have them, and Lady Otgiva, around me. “A King must do his duty”, father had often said, when Knud and I were children. I missed them!

I soon realised I had, unwittingly, neglected someone who felt as I did, if not worse. I hadn’t seen my mother since I had first left for my appointment in Lund. What a son I was! I went deeper inside the royal palace, passing numerous closed doors without paying them any attention; up twisted, dark staircases towards my mother’s new quarters. I knew she had retreated here since my father’s death, to mourn and weep, but since Knud passed few people saw her, save for Lady Sophie and Lady Otgiva. I had to speak to them as well. I reached my mother’s bedchamber doors and startled her two handmaids, who were dozing off nearby. They quickly rose and asked forgiveness as I approached.

- Can the Queen Mother receive me, I asked, my voice betraying my feelings and uncertainty.

Neither answered; one went inside, leaving the heavy, wooden door slightly ajar, while the other hurried away, still murmuring, leaving me alone in front of the door. The moment seemed to stretch out to infinity, so I stepped inside the small, unlit antechamber. The second door stood wide open and I passed through it, just in time to see my mother seated near the window. She seemed a ghost of her former self. Her pale skin mirrored the moon’s light but her features had darkened. Tears ran down her cheeks in a continuous flow, yet she made no sound or movement, not even a sigh. I glanced toward the handmaid and she lowered her eyes, leaving us alone. She was carrying a silver tray, the food still untouched. As soon as the door closed I went to my mother, kneeling at her side on the cold, stone floor.

- My sweet boy, she said, turning to me. My sweet, sweet boy.

She graced me with a frail smile before facing the window once more.

- They’ll be back, you’ll see, and all will be well, I heard her say, faint words meant not for me.
    - Mother, it’s Magnus, I am here, I said, afraid she might not recognise me.
    - I know, my sweet boy, she replied, looking at me again.

She took my hands in hers and kissed my forehead, as she used to when I was little. Her tears speared my soul and mixed with mine. I started crying as well, just like a child, a child long gone.

- I’m sorry, I whined, I’m sorry I wasn’t here.
    - No, sweet Magnus, it’s better this way, she whispered. Else they would have killed me thrice.

I looked up at her and her eyes let escape the pain inside her heart. There was still light in them, though a flickering, dying light. She let go of my hands, took a deep breath, almost like a dying man’s, and spoke with a strong, determined voice:

- Rise, my son. Rise and go forth. Bring me their eyes, the last to have seen my loved ones alive, bring me their tongues, the ones that spoke betrayal, go forth and bring me their hands, those that struck the death blows. A mother should not speak this way, she continued, regaining some of her composure, a Queen even less so, but they have taken everything dear from us. Make them suffer!

Once more she turned to the window. She had said her piece and I had heard it. I kissed her cold forehead and went to the door, but before I stepped out I turned back to a terrifying sight; my mother was looking straight at me with dark eyes, the light completely extinguished. In the moonlight, shadows danced a blood thirsty dance on the wall behind her.

- I love you Magnus, she said, before entirely becoming a valkyrja.

The two handmaids were waiting outside, with fresh food brought.

- Is she eating, I asked, knowing the answer beforehand.
    - Too little, my King, one of them said, and only when Lady Sophie or Lady Otgiva are with her.

I left my mother’s quarters more troubled, yet at the same time more resolute about my next actions. It was late but I wanted to speak to Lady Sophie as well, so I made for her quarters. There were no handmaids outside her door, though movement and voices inside told me she wasn’t asleep yet. I knocked and the door soon opened to both Lady Sophie and Lady Otgiva seated at a table. They faced me at the same time, surprise in their eyes, with sad smiles appearing on their faces as they rose.

- My King, Lady Sophie spoke first, come in. I apologise for not receiving you properly.
    - No need for such formality, dear sister, I replied and stepped in. How do you fare?
    - Well enough, Milord.

We sat down in silence while a couple of handmaids appeared, bringing in some fruit and sweetened wine. I didn’t really know what to say, but it was Lady Otgiva who spoke first.

- Milord, there’s an issue we would like to talk to you about. Lady Sophie mentioned it to me and I assured her I would be her ally in this endeavour.
    - What is it, I asked, looking at Otgiva, who had said nothing during our time away from the capital, mere days ago.
    - My King, Lady Sophie started somewhat timidly, if this comes as a surprise, know it is my fault. I begged Otgiva promise me she would not speak of it without me. I assure you I am your loyal subject. As you know, she continued, I was to be the Queen of Denmark and indeed I was, if only for a short time, but Fate and God had other plans for me. While I do mourn your loss, and it is mine as well, I cannot help but wonder about my future part.

She stopped speaking, either to give me a moment to realise what she was hinting at, or to permit Lady Otgiva a word, or both.

- Lady Sophie has suffered a great deal of torment, Lady Otgiva intervened, as have you and your entire kingdom, Milord, and although young, she bears pain and scars too deep for any soul. She was wondering about the possibility of her returning home, Your Grace willing, naturally.

Whatever I thought this would be about went completely forgotten, as this was most unexpected news, though I am the first to admit I hadn’t paid any attention to the ladies at the Danish Court. This was a serious issue, even I knew that, and it was apparent it would touch on and affect many areas, both within and without the Kingdom of Denmark. I was not going to decide now, and I didn’t think they expected me to.

- What exactly do you have in mind, I asked them, wanting to see how much they had entertained the idea as much as shift the focus on them.
    - Just that, Lady Sophie replied, to be allowed to return home. I’ll write my father and brother and let them know it was entirely my decision, with no fault of your own or any other in Denmark.
    - I’ll send letters as well, Lady Otgiva announced, though I failed to see how that would improve the situation.

The problem was, it had been the fault of someone in Denmark. Several people, truth be told, though my intention was to remedy this as soon as possible. This didn’t bode well at first glance, not for the kingdom’s reputation, not for my own and certainly not for my future Queen’s.

- I’ll consider it, I replied, changing the subject.

We spent the following few hours talking about their daily undertakings and I was happy to ask a lot of questions, partly because I wanted to avoid the previous issue, at least until I thought it over, and partly because it made me more aware of other areas and situations within the capital, if not the kingdom. They both entertained and visited my mother often, though they had had little success in taking her out of her quarters. Lady Sophie had begun working with some of the nearby monasteries and churches, helping the needy and tending to the wounded, “to at least try and do for others what I couldn’t do for your brother”, as she explained it. Lady Otgiva was also helping, though due to her lack of any official status she couldn’t get involved more.

By the end of our meeting I felt exhausted, in a way I hadn’t before. Marching and warring have a simpler kind of exhaustion than dealing with all the other aspects of ruling a kingdom. My military upbringing helped me understand my father better, and at the same time gain a new level of appreciation for what Knud had done for all of us. Even so, I was decided to walk down my current path and only after I would deal with bringing peace and prosperity to the kingdom.

Because of these new issues, however, I was forced to delay my departure. The following day, when Jon announced the fleet was ready, I told him we couldn’t leave yet. As Lord Erik and Harald were not in Arhus, and neither was Lord Torben, I had sent messengers the night before, summoning a select few nobles to discuss what Lady Sophie had mentioned. I needed experienced help to settle this matter. Another important part of the discussion would be my wedding to Lady Otgiva; I wanted preparations to begin.

When the meeting started there were just five of us, as the other nobles were busy with either diplomatic missions, such as Baron Karl of Arhus, or with military affairs. Lord Mikkel Gedde, High Chieftain of Lolland and stout supporter of the Crown was in charge of the capital’s defences and local recruitment. Present at the meeting, besides myself, were Admiral Jon, Count Eskild of Gjorslev, High Diplomat of the Kingdom, Lord Ansgar Bundgaard, member of the Council of Nobles and host of our Flemish guests, and Asmund Edmundsen, Lord Erik’s nephew, a chivalrous and all together kind young man.

The first issue at hand was my marriage to Lady Otgiva. Enough time had passed since our betrothal that preparations were in order, though I still didn’t see it take place until after I had dealt with the remaining traitors. I tasked Lord Bundgaard with overseeing everything, though I did urge him to talk to Lady Otgiva and try and get my mother involved. A change in prospects would do her good. Count Eskild suggested a quick ceremony could be performed, possibly even before I left once more. He argued that it would show the Graaf of Vlaanderen, Otgiva’s father, that we were still committed to this path, despite ill rumours and it would also allow Lady Otgiva to become more involved in matters of the realm. Asmund also pointed out it would allow us to make use of Lord Alwin’s troops, in more official manner, as the Queen’s Guard. It did sound like a great idea, for both Otgiva and myself, and I knew for a fact Lord Alwin was itching for a fight.

The second issue, more delicate, regarding Lady Sophie’s request, put me more in doubt. After I recounted my conversation with Lady Otgiva and Lady Sophie, I turned to them.

- Noble Sirs, I am asking for your counsel in this sensitive matter. Count Eskild, what are the implications if Lady Sophie is allowed to return home?
    - My King, the Count replied after several moments of deep thought, though I am sure we all understand her reasoning I must tell you that I cannot endorse such an action. It would send a ripple of negative consequences in our relations with our allies, not to mention other, less evident, matters.
    - Do explain, Count, this is precisely why I’ve asked you all here.
    - As it stands now, he continued, Lady Sophie is a former Queen of Denmark, albeit for a very short time. Should your late brother’s union have produced any children, or at least a future possibility of children, Lady Sophie’s request wouldn’t have been considered. Even so, we can all imagine what the Imperial Court’s reaction to this will be, even if it is by her own choice. As I’ve said before, it would strain our newly built alliance, our diplomatic efforts with European powers, and it would put us at great disadvantage in future dealings.

Both Admiral Jon and Lord Bundgaard agreed with the Count’s words.

- I’ve had many occasions to speak to our distinguished guests, Lord Bundgaard spoke, and it is a known fact that yours and your brother’s betrothals helped both the Flemish and the Imperial Courts to attain friendlier relations. We are a bridge between Flemish desire for independence and Imperial ambitions in Europe and sending Lady Sophie back might jeopardise that.
    - Another aspect we haven’t yet considered, Asmund spoke for the first time, is the effect such actions would have on Lady Otgiva’s reputation. She may be seen as trying to remove Lady Sophie, who holds every right to be in Denmark, in order to strengthen her position as future Queen.
    - That is nonsense, I exclaimed, quite surprised, everyone knows they have grown close in recent times and work together in many areas.
    - What one knows and what one whispers in ill-advised ears is an entirely different matter, Your Grace, Asmund continued. This is exactly how a slight misunderstanding between my uncle and your father turned into downright civil war.
    - Indeed, Lord Bundgaard agreed, I still remember the bloody years before your father was proclaimed sole King.
    - I might have a solution to this riddle, Admiral Jon exclaimed as if something had been sitting on the table just under our eyes. What if Lady Sophie remarries, here, in Denmark?
    - Are you offering, Admiral? I jested, though I quickly realised he was being serious.
    - That can well be done, Count Eskild supported the idea, and there are plenty of suitable candidates, his gaze shifting towards Asmund, who didn’t notice.
    - So we have a course of action, I concluded, as feeble as that course seemed to be.

I knew I had to speak to Otgiva as well, as she could be a strong ally in this. I would need her help in bringing this to Lady Sophie’s attention. Lord Bundgaard would handle the wedding preparations and Count Eskild was tasked with sending envoys to the Flemish and Imperial Courts, though I cautioned him to wait until the matter had been discussed with Lady Otgiva and Lady Sophie. Seeing as I would have to depart once more, I told him to hold counsel with Lady Otgiva and Lord Bundgaard about the issues discussed here. As for Admiral Jon and Asmund, they would both accompany me on this new stage of the campaign.
    Last edited by Darkan; July 14, 2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Ch.14 updated 26/05)

A great update. The King's character developed more fully and now we have the Queen Mother. Is this even correct for a Danish family? I must apologize for my medieval ignorance! I any case, I wish for more about Lady Sophie. I hope read more in the future updates.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good chapter! Like NorseThing, your chapter got me interested in the character of Lady Sophie and her fate. The reason she gives for tending the needy and helping the wounded is a nicely done moment of pathos.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Great chapter! Poor Lady Sophie, has she not suffered enough? Like Norsething said, the King seems to finally come to his own. Magnus is a fast learner, it seems, in running a kingdom. You encapsule the politics of medieval Europe very well not only in this chapter but in your entire story. I like it very much. + rep

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    A great update. The King's character developed more fully and now we have the Queen Mother. Is this even correct for a Danish family? I must apologize for my medieval ignorance! I any case, I wish for more about Lady Sophie. I hope read more in the future updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! Like NorseThing, your chapter got me interested in the character of Lady Sophie and her fate. The reason she gives for tending the needy and helping the wounded is a nicely done moment of pathos.
    Great chapter! Poor Lady Sophie, has she not suffered enough? Like Norsething said, the King seems to finally come to his own. Magnus is a fast learner, it seems, in running a kingdom. You encapsule the politics of medieval Europe very well not only in this chapter but in your entire story. I like it very much. + rep
    Thank you all for the praise. I'm sure "Queen Mother" isn't the proper term, but I wouldn't know what to call her, considering her situation. Dead husband, firstborn son, both kings, now her second born is king...it fits well enough I suppose. Magnus is indeed learning though he has a more hands-on approach, which makes sense sonsidering what he ahs to do. As for Lady Sophie, worry not, it's not the last we've herd of her.

A second intermezzo (I know it's a musical term but hey, didn't realise it when I first used it - vs interlude, so I'll keep it) to follow shortly and a proper chapter over the weekend.
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Intermezzo II

I decided to further delay my departure, though instructions had been given to ferry the men to Lund. Jon and Asmund were to go as well and I would follow them in a few days’ time.

Thus, I found myself with more spare time than I had had over the recent months. Even so, I spent the day after Jon and Asmund’s departure with lady Otgiva. When I told her we would have a quick ceremony, with the formal wedding planned after the campaign would be over, she was obviously happy, though she did try to maintain her composure, especially when others were around. Count Eskild talked with a few priests, Eskil of Brøns and Asbjørn Nielssen, who managed the preparations both for the small reception and dinner, with the help of the ladies at court, and for the religious ceremony. My mother especially seemed to feel better, as the news improved her general mood, though sometimes when there was nobody else around, a dark shadow seemed to pass over her face, her features would become sterner and it was then that her words echoed in my head: Bring them to me!

While the wedding preparations kept most people busy, I avoided being idle as well, either by joining the Lolland High Chieftain Gedde in his efforts to bolster recruitment and defences, or joining in Count Eskild and Baron Karl of Arhus’ meetings. If on military matters I possessed both training and firsthand knowledge, there were still many things to learn regarding administration and, to be honest, diplomatic guile and subterfuge. There were many traders and envoys from European courts and it was necessary to show a kingdom united behind their king. Still, I realised I much preferred facing a bitter enemy than to suffer a wavering friend.

The day of the wedding came and went faster than I had thought possible and the set date of my departure fast approached. Enemy movement had been spotted between Blekyng and Skane.

Otgiva assured me she would speak to Lady Sophie and try to make her see the merits of our proposal that she remarry. I added that Lady Sophie was free to go to the Imperial Court and visit her family, but she had to return, as Denmark was now her home.

- What would you do in her place, I asked Otgiva in our quarters, trying to provoke her as well.
    - Oh, husband, she replied playfully, is this what you would have your new bride think of?
    - It’s not really a strange question, I continued, considering I’m soon to leave for war.
    - I am your wife, she interrupted, and your people’s Queen. Let’s not waste the precious little time we have together by considering or talking about your possible demise. Instead, she continued, arms around my neck, let’s give the kingdom something to rejoice about.

These calm, happy moments when time seemed to stand still made my departure even more difficult. As I looked back, from the ship’s stern, towards the docks, where Otgiva and lady Sophie stood, surrounded by other nobles and countless people, waving us goodbye, the morning light seemed to flicker, to dim, as if the sun hesitated to rise. A looming figure appeared, a dark envoy, above and behind the gathered crowd, and its presence swallowed the light around that only it was visible. Her face was somehow familiar, though her cold smile sent shivers down my spine and icy needles pricked my skin. The hulder’s left hand was lifted, showing two fingers. Her right hand slowly rose, engulfing her left and drawing it closer to her chest. The sounds also faded, the people’s voices heard as if from beneath the waves, muffled and the wind also abated, but its voice, again familiar and deceptively warm, was as clear as if it was standing beside me: Two, Great King, and both to be mine. You’ve gifted them to me, promised, in the middle of nowhere, amongst no one.

It only lasted for a moment and it all cleared again, light and sounds flooding my senses. I raised my hand to say farewell to Otgiva, with a heavy heart and troubled mind, but equally to hide my horror and fear at what I had witnessed. For the next couple of nights my sleep was restless and my mind not my own. Again I dreamt the dream of sea-draugar accompanying our fleet, covering my eyes so as not to be taken, again the same mermaid appeared, though this time she was far away and though her lips moved, I couldn’t make out the words. Then, as I roamed the ship’s deck, with nobody in sight and only ghosts around, I saw it, a king’s Skeid, my father’s. He had been buried at sea, as per our ancestor’s custom, while my brother Knud, a devout Christian, had been buried in a royal tomb. Here he was, my father, aboard his ship, sailing to Valhalla, gathering the other einherjar to stand in Odin’s hall.

- My King, be still, a voice shouted, you’re thrashing about.

I opened my eyes, slowly, and was once more aboard the ship, surrounded by the crew and soldiers. I remembered my dream vividly, as well as the face of the apparition. She was the same that had come to me in the forests of Goteland, when we marched against Kalmar. I was sure of it, though it made everything even less clear. What was the reason behind this apparition? What was the meaning behind her words?

Two, Great King, and both to be mine. You’ve gifted them to me, promised, in the middle of nowhere, amongst no one.
    Last edited by Darkan; June 08, 2018 at 08:57 AM.
    DuckDuckGo

Default Re: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Intermezzo II updated 08/06)

Good update! The phrase spoken by the mysterious figure, the 'dark envoy', is a haunting one. I wonder who the 'two' are - Otgiva and Lady Sophie, or perhaps Otgiva and Otgiva's as yet unborn child?

The references to a 'hulder' (a seductive forest spirit?), a 'Skeid' (a longship?) and to the 'einherjar' (Odin's elite warriors in Valhalla?) add mystery and atmosphere to your tale.

I just had a Hen-a-thon and it's amazing how you managed to keep the air of despair, personal and political intrigue, now entwined with more mystery and the mavabre elements of norse mythos.

Keep on the good work!

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Thank you both for your kind words, glad you're enjoying the story.

I wonder who the 'two' are - Otgiva and Lady Sophie, or perhaps Otgiva and Otgiva's as yet unborn child?
    What? Two? Where, who? I don't see anything...

Quote Originally Posted by HuliganFish View Post
    I just had a Hen-a-thon and it's amazing how you managed to keep the air of despair, personal and political intrigue, now entwined with more mystery and the mavabre elements of norse mythos. Keep on the good work!
    Happy to know you liked it, glad to see you here. Are those elements that macabre though...hmmm, perhaps...

A short comment regarding the writing:
    One of the things I love about writing is the way the story keeps surpising me, even though in theory I know what's going on. As I've mentioned before, this story is seven years old. When I started posting it I just thought "sure, I'll post, but there's no pressure because the story is already written", and more recently I kept coming up with new ideas, changing old events or decisions... Anyway, there are elements that still surprise me regarding this story and when that happens I fell like a kid who's just received a new toy. I initially started using Norse mythology elements to show that King Valdemar wasn't really Christian, or that he still kept links to older gods. This, of course, was in contrast with Knud, his firstborn, who was very close to God. As for Magnus, it's still a journey.
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I appreciate the explanations such as the one above. After reading the explanation, I must go back and reread a bit. Never a disappointment on the rereads. More is there that I missed on the first read.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Chapter 15 – The Second

I spent the two days that it took to cross the sea to Lund pondering our next step. Most of the army was already there, and they had surely rested enough to march at a moment’s notice. I recounted Svend’s story, as it was told by Jon. While searching for information on Sautes, he had returned to Kalmar. There he found out, while talking to farmers and woodcutters, that mounted soldiers had been spotted somewhere to the west so he immediately left to find out more. Then he indeed ran into the soldiers, though they had seen him and surrounded him and taken him prisoner. He had awoken in a dungeon, with a man beside him. At first he thought it was another prisoner, like him, but it was soon revealed that it was none other than Finn himself. Days later he managed to escape and by doing so, had also seen Sautes there along with his entire army.
    Time has a peculiar way of passing, one moment can last an eternity while months seem to join and turn into a nebulous, twisted period. It dawned on me it was the first time I was returning to Lund ever since I had left to take Kalmar. Then, I was looking for Sautes and here I was again, sailing towards another battle, still trying to find this elusive enemy. This time though, I was determined to find him, and to fight him.

Svend near Lord Finn Skovsgard's castle

Upon arriving in Lund we were greeted by Lord Erik, who was happy to see us. The fortress was barely recognisable, many things had been improved and expanded upon, and the army’s presence outside the walls gave it a more impressive appearance, with small villages sprouting all around. The men started stirring when they heard the Kings had arrived as this meant they would soon be on the march. When I was within sight of the army camp, the men started cheering and shouting Otgiva’s name, as well as mine. “The news gives them hope, and a sense of purpose for the future”, Lord Erik said, and he too congratulated me on the wedding with Lady Otgiva. After we freshened ourselves we met for a meal, and I told him all about the latest important decisions, the envoys Count Eskild had sent to the Emperor and the Flemish Duke, about Lady Sophie’s decision and our counter-measure. He agreed on all accounts and then he told us news of his own. Svend had been sent north to bring reports of enemy troops, while scouting parties roamed the countryside, to stop Finn’s foraging parties. Apparently Finn had one banner of spears and one of archers, men loyal to him, and he too had hired mercenary forces, a company of heavy cavalry from the East, as well as a banner of pikes. Undoubtedly he had planned and prepared for this ahead of time.

Finn's garrison

Sautes, from what Svend remembered, counted with four spear banners, two banners of raiders, two of peasant archers and one banner of crossbows.

Sautes' army

This was indeed troublesome. We were greatly outnumbered, both in cavalry and infantry, though there was no way back now. Furthermore, I remembered the many losses the battle with Glum had caused, and he had had a much smaller force. It would have to be a field battle and I wasn’t allowed any mistakes. My only troops were two banners of spears, two of town militia and my trusted banners of Norse archers that had been with me since the taking of Kalmar, along with another peasant archer unit. Therefore, we decided to bolster our ranks by hiring three banners of mercenary spear sergeants and two of crossbowmen before leaving. Many of these men were experienced fighters, albeit owed allegiance only to coin. They came mostly from Norway and Pomerania, though some as far as the east.

The Danish host

Finn’s castle was only days away, three if we forced the men, but we decided to arrive during the night of the fourth day, with the men rested. We wanted to lay siege should Sautes’ army be within the fortress but we wanted to be able to attack them straight away should it not be the case.

We marched through deep forests and arrived within sight of the castle but no troops were in sight. Svend pointed to where Sautes’ army had been camped.

They had cleaned the area well, though not well enough and it was obvious that a large force had indeed been stationed there. With no sign of Sautes or his troops nearby, I decided to keep most of the mercenaries out of the fight and only use one banner of spears. They were more experienced than my own troops and I would need them to face Sautes.

As soon as the ram and ladders were built I ordered the troops to assault the small fortress.

On the right, I ordered the spear banners to use the ladders and take the walls, or at least hold them until the mercenary spears could come to their aid.

On the left side, the archers sent volleys of arrows into the courtyard, in order to dissuade any troop movement.

My main focus however was the centre, where the two town militia banners were having a hard time advancing as they had to push the heavy battering ram up a very steep slope.

Their struggle up that slope gave the enemy a clear advantage, as the gates opened and the foreigner heavy cavalry unit poured out, hitting the militia dead on.

This sally by the enemy cavalry took me by surprise. I ordered my retinue to charge with full force and the impact left almost half of the foreign cavalry trampled underneath our horses and the other half trying to get away.

While I was chasing the enemy cavalry away, the spears managed to take the walls and reach the courtyard, where they were charged by Finn and his retinue of “nobles”. Soon however, the mercenary spears I had ordered to stay hidden and assault the opposite walls once the fighting began reached the courtyard without any opposition and fell on Finn’s back.

Many soldiers converged on Finn himself, all of them wanting to claim the reward I had promised for the one that would bring me his head and Finn, without a chance, fell pierced by various spears.

The battle had ended, with me losing a sixth of my forces and at first I imagined there were no enemies left, only to remember the pike unit I had feared and the fact that we hadn’t met them in battle. The captain of the mercenary pike unit came before me and told me he did not wish to lose the lives of his men in vain, reason for which he had decided they would not fight us. I sent him away, shouting that he lacked the word of a warrior, even if he had given it to a traitorous dog like Finn. I ordered to take them all captive until I would decide what to do with them.

Finn had joined Glum in the afterlife, though there was still no sign of Sautes. I questioned the prisoners though none of them knew anything, or at least anything of some real use. To our questions regarding Otto, they looked at each other, at us and simply raised their shoulders. We started searching through Finn’s documents and several letters from Otto were found. The most recent one had been sent before I had left to attack Erik.

“Lord Finn,
    Magnus is here in the capital, together with Jon. I will persuade him to attack Erik, though I suspect I don’t need to, the fact that Erik “killed” both his father and brother will most likely be enough to make him scream for blood. My own troops are already in place and all I have to do is let them kill each other and then intervene. I have spies in his army and should Magnus prevail, I will go south under pretence of reinforcing him and finish the job, should Erik defeat Magnus, which I suspect will be the case seeing he is a more experienced general, I will tell everyone I must go avenge the death of our three kings. Either way, I shall be seen as the guardian of the realm.
    I believe Sautes will be with you by the time you receive this letter, know that you must instruct him to attack Kalmar at once. Torben Tornekrans is not with Magnus and I suspect he is either in Kalmar or Stockholm. He is to die regardless. After Kalmar falls have Sautes march north and take Stockholm as well. There is no threat from the local ruler, as he has been defeated by Magnus. In the meantime, you must march south and take Lund. I will also include some forged papers naming you regent of Lund. When all is done, come back to Arhus where I will be waiting.
    Otto”

This was very disturbing news. By this time, it was possible that Kalmar had fallen, which meant Torben was dead. We had no choice but to leave at once. The men were exhausted, many had fallen or had been wounded but we had to march. While we were preparing the horses, Svend came out of the keep.

- My King, he said, you must come at once, I believe we are in luck.
    - Where are we going? I asked him while we were heading back towards the keep entrance.
    - The dungeons milord, there are a few prisoners that may interest you.

We hurried through the dark corridors and down some stairs into the dungeon. The air was putrid and stale and apart from a torch a man before us carried, there was no light. Inside one of the cells there were three men, though only one seemed to be conscious.

- Take these two outside and try to bring them to their senses, I ordered and then I turned to Svend. Well, what is it?
    - Tell your king what you told me, Svend said.
    - My name is Gunnar, my Lord, the man spoke with a low voice, and I am a guard of the eastern watchtower, as are the other two. We were attacked by a large force and the three of us were sent to Lund to bring back reinforcements but we were captured.
    - When was this, I asked, thinking that undoubtedly the large force he was talking about was Sautes, on his way to Kalmar.
    - Two days ago, he said, but the others were still barricaded behind the tower’s walls.

That was all I needed to hear. Two days meant that we could still intercept Sautes before he took the tower. Fifty men could delay a large force within those walls for a week. We had time to reach them and stop Sautes once and for all. We had been searching for Sautes for a long time but he had managed to elude us always, though of course we had no idea at the time that Finn was helping him. Now I had him within my grasp and I wouldn’t let him escape. I told the captains our destination and without much delay we headed east, towards yet another battle.

I had left the spear banners in the castle as they had suffered most of the casualties, as well as the peasant archers. It was time to put the mercenaries to good use, as most hadn’t participated in the battle against Finn. I had five spear banners, three mercenary and the two town militia recruited in Arhus, even though under strength from the previous battle, the two mercenary crossbowmen and the two Norse archer banners, the most loyal men that had accompanied me since Kalmar.

Magnus' host against Sautes

DuckDuckGo

Default Re: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Ch.15 updated 16/06)

Good update, the moment when the heavy cavalry charge through the gate is a particularly dramatic point in the battle! I enjoyed the way that the recent letter from Otto and the discovery of noteworthy prisoners in the dungeons provided important information.

Good info. Teaches me that always look in the jails for some good supporters .
    Good work and +rep .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A wonderful chapter! It seems the ever elusive Sautes will soon meet his doom in the form of Magnus. Of course now Magnus has a goal in his life, what will he do once it is fulfilled? I look forward for the battle to come.

Again a wonderful job done! +rep

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I've finally caught myself up to this AAR, and bravo to you for making me read it thus far. I must admit I was initially not interested in reading this AAR because I hated the Danish faction in M2TW, but your writing style and plot have managed to keep me interested. Looking forward to seeing Magnus secure his rule, it was nice to see him finally catch up to Sautes. +rep!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

A wonderful, intense update.
    Will Sautes finally meet his end in the next update?

And, assuming the internal difficulties within Denmark will finally come to a conclusion, I really do want to see how Magnus will deal with all the external issues!

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Good update, the moment when the heavy cavalry charge through the gate is a particularly dramatic point in the battle! I enjoyed the way that the recent letter from Otto and the discovery of noteworthy prisoners in the dungeons provided important information.
    Thank you Alwyn! Indeed, the sally surprised me a bit, because PSF don't usually allow this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Good info. Teaches me that always look in the jails for some good supporters .
    Good work and +rep .
    Much obliged mad orc! Yes, strangely enough, jails and dungeons offer the most unexpected help. Time for me to get my prisoners out and have them continue writing, they've rested enough.

A wonderful chapter! It seems the ever elusive Sautes will soon meet his doom in the form of Magnus. Of course now Magnus has a goal in his life, what will he do once it is fulfilled? I look forward for the battle to come.

Again a wonderful job done! +rep
    Kindly appreciated Turkafinwë. Magnus' goal is far from over, as the mastermind behind it all is still at large, whatever happens with Sautes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    I've finally caught myself up to this AAR, and bravo to you for making me read it thus far. I must admit I was initially not interested in reading this AAR because I hated the Danish faction in M2TW, but your writing style and plot have managed to keep me interested. Looking forward to seeing Magnus secure his rule, it was nice to see him finally catch up to Sautes. +rep!
    Thank you Swaeft and I'm glad you're enjoying the story. As I've said in the OP, this campaing and AAR are 7 years old, though a lot of what I've written then has suffered changes. I quite liked Denmark as a faction, and still do, due to its relative isolation. From a gameplay perspective, the TW series seem to throw the player into actual total war much sooner than I'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by HuliganFish View Post
    A wonderful, intense update.
    Will Sautes finally meet his end in the next update?

And, assuming the internal difficulties within Denmark will finally come to a conclusion, I really do want to see how Magnus will deal with all the external issues!

Thank you for your kind words HuliganFish. Magnus has yet to solve the different issues Denmark faces, both within and without, but we can at least rest easy knowing he has good, loyal men by his side.

Again, thank you all for commenting, but even more so for reading and hopefully enjoying the story. The next update will be up over the weekend!
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Chapter 16 – The Third

The mood of the men was joyful, even the mercenaries were livelier than normal. Usually they kept to themselves, not talking to the Danish troops unless there was something important or some type of altercation. On this march, however, they all laughed and sang, when we made camp they all drank together and talked, some about the families they had left behind, others of past campaigns. “This general is a good general”, they told the Danes and these responded proudly that I was their king, not only their general. The men told stories of my father and my brother as if talking about events that had happened eons ago, in a distant past. From time to time I could see the way the men were looking at me, the young with the proud gaze of warriors led by a fearless leader, the older ones with a sort of grieving in their eyes, as if they could feel and understand the pain I felt. The mood of the men was good, though I could not say the same about myself. Even though I had defeated Glum and Finn and was now marching against Sautes, I often thought of Otto. He had betrayed his King and country, he had been the cause of thousands of deaths and now he had run away.

Moreover, a strange fear got hold of me, as if I wouldn’t be able to catch him. To some extent, I still felt green, even though I had led men into battle. It dawned on me that going to war was not what made a man a man. My father sprang once again back in my mind. Had he been here now, had he heard my thoughts and fears he would undoubtedly had laughed. I could almost hear him speak inside my mind: “All a boy needs to become a man is a blade in his hand, a horse beneath him and the enemy in front of him. Someday you will know what I am talking about, Magnus, someday you will understand.

I understood his view of things, I even agreed with him, but that was when I thought of him growing old, playing with his grandchildren and telling them stories of old battles and glorious feats of arms. Now, it was different, being a good general, even a great one, was not the same with being a man. What was the fault of the men that followed one noble in battle, or a king, those that lost their lives for the ambitions of others?
    I often looked around the camp to try and understand the men, their lives and hopes. Did these mercenaries fight only for coin? Had they really chosen this dangerous trade or had they been forced by uncontrollable events to take up arms and fight for others? Had they homes somewhere, families, someone to think about or where they just bloodthirsty men and gold drunken warriors?

What did men like Glum, Finn, Sautes or Otto fight for? I doubted I would have the opportunity to ask Sautes, or Otto. Indeed, I had not given Glum or Finn this chance, even a small one, to explain, and even if they had, it wouldn’t have mattered. I found myself thinking why God allowed such things as betrayal, greed and killing one’s brother for a handful of coins to take place. I hadn’t really thought about God or my view, such as it was, of Him and His ways. I would sometimes hear Knud and Harald talk about God, without paying much attention. It surprised me to realise that I didn’t really believe in Him though I couldn’t understand why that saddened me so. Knud would have been a much wiser and better king than me. Now he was dead, leaving no children behind, though I didn’t know if it was better or worse. In his quarters now lived only his widow, with her maids and servants.

Now she wanted to leave, though of course she couldn’t, for various reasons. The options we had discussed at the council and the options we had given her were not ideal, though nothing was, really. I had given thought to who she could marry, but I didn’t see a way this could happen. There were men interested in this match, but she was a German princess and she had been a queen, albeit not for long, so the marriage would be political. The man would have to be well trusted, but even so, would she accept him. Otgiva was taking matters seriously and I knew she would do everything in her power to convince Lady Sophie, but still a bitter feeling surrounded me.
    Otgiva was also trapped, in a sense. We had officially gotten married and we did love each other but should I fall she would be in a similar situation to Lady Sophie’s. She was strong however, I felt it, and I wanted to get back to her in one piece. I still had a job to do and I meant to do it.
    Even so, these were not good thoughts to have when marching for battle and as Erik approached and addressed me, I welcomed his intrusion.

- What troubles you, my King, he said slowly, as if not daring to disturb me.
    - Everything does, I answered, for a moment seeing my father where Erik stood. I wanted to apologize for my behaviour back in Arhus, I continued.
    - It is forgotten, he said smiling, and I know you meant nothing by it. These things come to the young when they go through what you have gone through.

I looked at him, wondering how close he had really been to my father but unable to bring myself to ask. Father believed in this man’s friendship and didn’t for a moment bend his ear to what others were saying, not even Knud. Had I such friends, such men that I could trust beyond a shadow of a doubt? Harald? He was one of my father’s advisors, though they would often have different views on things. Father did let Knud get close to this man, which meant he valued his opinion. I could trust him perhaps, as he also wanted the good of the kingdom, but could I call him a friend?

- How well did you know my father, Lord Erik? I finally asked him.

He looked at me before he answered, as if searching for something in my posture, my tone.

- We were very close, he said, more than brothers. Maybe because neither of us had a brother.
    - Tell me about him! How was he when not leading an army or stuck in the throne room. These sides I know only too well.

As we rode through the forests, heading east to face Sautes, Erik remembered old times at my father’s side.

“A long time ago, as young men, we were both much like every youngster. We were reckless, quick to anger, we loved to fight, drink and visit whores. We laughed a great many times together. This lasted until he married your mother, though he didn’t have enough time to be a husband. We left to war and we fought countless battles and buried many friends. We felt at ease on horseback and it became a sort of second nature for us. The fighting stopped and your father was declared King, being the only one left alive, at least on our side, which had royal blood within him. We supported him fully, those that were close to him, and we tried our best to help him as he was a fighting man and not an administrator. You and your brother were born and during your first years he preferred to play with you both, though you were too young to remember. I suspect he didn’t like being King, that perhaps it was too much for him, but there was nobody else and if your father was anything, he was a good Dane. He would have done anything to keep us free and, from a point of view he did, but it took its toll on him. Slowly he distanced himself from the Palace and gladly sought the company of soldiers and captains in the brothels and taverns. Not rarely did I have to go and get him, more than once with him screaming and kicking, threatening to exile me, but each time laughing only moments after.”

- In the end, what is it you want to know about him? Erik asked me directly. He was a good Dane, a proud warrior and the best King he could have been. He loved you and your brother more than I can say, though I guess his only fault lay in the fact that he didn’t know how to show it.
    - What would he do in my place, I asked Erik not knowing what to expect.
    - That is a pointless question. You are king now, however hard or unpleasant it may be for you. You must learn that there are two sides of you: on one hand you are Magnus, son of Valdemar and on the other you are King Magnus of Denmark. Try to make peace between these two sides else…

There he stopped talking, leaving his unfinished phrase get lost in the wind that passed the trees and the voices of the men around us. He turned his horse around, obviously his recollections having had a greater impact on him than he had imagined, but before he galloped away he looked at me once more and said:”Whatever happens, I will be at your side, of that you need not worry.”

As he rode away, I knew I could call Erik a friend and I saw in him more than that, as if my father, through his sacrifice, from beyond his grave, had somehow sent this man to me to aid me, to help me become what my father could not. Indeed, I had good men at my side. There were also Torben, my closest friend, almost my brother, Jon, who perhaps was now with Torben and Harald. These men, younger and older, stood by my side, their friend, their King and I knew I could fully trust them. For the first time I realised what friendship was, what true friendship meant for a man.
    The following night, while we were raising camp, Svend approached my tent and asked for permission to enter. I looked at him as he entered, offered him a seat and told him I would be with him in a moment. I was reading reports from the army officials regarding the status of the men, how many had gotten ill, how many were battle able and so on.

Svend was a tall man, his stature seeming unfit for a man of subterfuge, infiltration and spying. He had intelligent eyes that seemed to look for minute details even among friends. He could appear before you and you could take him as a nobleman as well as a lowly peasant or an ordinary soldier, roles he could perform with unnatural ease, though I suspect these were skills he had acquired early on.

- What’s your story Svend? I suddenly asked him, raising my eyes from the papers and looking at him.

He seemed not to understand the question, or perhaps he was thinking whether to answer truthfully or not.

- There’s not much to say, milord, he finally said. It is the story of many among the troops here, though I believe I was slightly luckier.
    - What do you mean? I asked him, now curious to what he had to say.
    - I was born in the shadows; he said smiling, though I guess this is the poetic way of putting it. The truth is I was born in a cemetery and left there. I never knew my parents, though I suspect it is better this way. I was raised by nuns, believe it or not.
    - How does a child raised by nuns get to become a spy? I asked him laughing.
    - Sometimes I have the same question in mind, he replied. I always liked to roam with other children through the streets and markets, stealing food and coin and acting as there was nothing more. When the nuns found out, and it happened once or twice, they would confine me in a chamber and make me study and read, though I suspect all that Latin has its uses now. Once though, I was caught stealing by one of the nobles in Arhus, in his own house, and he summoned his guards. They closed me in one of the rooms and after two days he came in, offering me a place to stay. I wasn’t used to people treating me like that, not to mention that I didn’t want to return to the nunnery, so I agreed. It turned out that this noble was in fact not a noble, just a rich man that controlled the beggars and robbers and who got rich by doing so.
    - So this man was your mentor, I take it?
    - Mentor, jailor, punisher, there aren’t enough words to describe that man. He did however teach me most of his trade, other parts I had to learn on my own, but by the time I was nineteen I was the heir to his…empire, for lack of a better word.
    - What happened to him?
    - He died, of old age. You would think I would have taken a blade through his chest and God knows I thought of it many times. However, in time I grew more and more and he grew less menacing that by the end, he had become a small, hunchbacked and delirious old man.
    - How did you come to work for the King? I asked him.
    - Milord, this question can have no real answer. We all work for the King, one way or another. Just know that if you need anything done, anything that you yourself cannot do, I am the one to call. If you wish to know more, you can command me and I shall tell you, though it is not advisable for a man of your stature to know things so much beneath him.

Svend’s manner of talking changed my mood entirely. From trying to get to know him slightly better and amusing myself with his story, I became aware that he was wiser than his age or perhaps, more cautious. He was a good man to have in your employment, though I suspected he could also be very dangerous as well.

- What was it you wished to see me about? I asked him. I was trying to get rid of him and he seemed to understand, as he spoke briefly and to the point.
    - You march for Sautes, he said, yet I wanted to remind you there is also the matter of Ditlev, his vassal. He still holds a castle deep inland and has enough troops with him to cause real damage. I have men there and they keep me informed. I wanted to ask permission to travel there, ahead of any forces you may send.
    - I had forgotten about him. Yes, go there and I shall march after you as soon as I can. When will you leave?
    - As soon as I shall leave your tent, Svend replied.
    - Did you know I would agree to your plan then?
    - No, milord, but I know you to listen to sensible advice, he replied
    - Is there anything you need? I asked him, knowing he had the means to take care of himself, but his answer surprised me.
    - For you to defeat Sautes, he said, bowed and left my tent.

Yes, we all needed for me to defeat Sautes, I was getting more and more aware of that.
    The next day we arrived to where the watchtower had been, only to find its burned down ruins; we hadn’t arrived in time to save the tower guards, but the scouts reported a large army on the beach. Why did Sautes linger in these parts, why hadn’t he left sooner? These, however, were questions I needed not think about now, as I had a battle to fight. I did send a few men to tell Sautes he had no way out, that he surrender, but he was decided to fight.

There was no backing away now, no more running or hiding.

The Battle against Sautes

Surely he knew the only way out was through my lines so I expected a tough battle. I deployed my troops in the usual defensive formation, spears in front and archers behind, though I did order the men to protect the left flank, the weaker flank, against a cavalry charge.

Sautes sent his infantry in two successive waves, the spears in front, followed by the axe-wielding raiders, the first to charge and impale my troops and the latter to pour through the gaps created.

The right flank held the line without too much trouble as the mercenaries were experienced and tough men. The left flank however, where the town militia banners stood, was pushed back by the enemies. Although they held for the time being, the archers behind them were getting ready for melee.

I was waiting for an opportunity to charge behind the enemy lines, into their archers, when I spotted Sautes and his retinue advancing toward my position.

We charged each other, the thunder of the horses’ hooves as they galloped at full speed covering every other noise and sound.

I slay man after man, searching for Sautes among the other riders.Erik too was fighting hard, striking left and right. Finally we spotted Sautes, surrounded by several of my knights, all eager to strike down this elusive enemy.

Sautes fought like a cornered lion, ferociously making his opponents pay for getting too close to him. He was bested in the end, struck by Erik’s own nephew, the chivalrous Asmund, son of Edmund, who thrust his blade deep in Sautes' side.

While fighting Sautes and his retinue, we had been separated from the main battle. With Sautes dead, I reorganized my men in order to assess the situation. The lines were still holding, but the enemy crossbowmen wreaked havoc into our left flank. One of the town militia banners had suffered high casualties and was desperately trying to regroup. We hit the enemy spears in their now unprotected back and one by one we routed all of them.

Now it was only a matter of running down the stragglers, the battle had ended and after the wounded were retrieved and prepared to travel to Lund, the losses among our troops amounted to less than a seventh.

After the battle, a scout patrol I had previously sent away came back and reported the presence of a foreign fleet further south, anchored in a bay similar to the one we were presently in, though they had been unable to recognize its symbols. At the time I thought nothing of this fact and put the presence of the ships either to merchants following their routes or, in the worst of cases, pirates. I would speak of this matter to Jon and decide together what needed to be done.

In the meantime, I felt relieved that Sautes had been defeated at last and decided to rest and celebrate with the men, congratulating Asmund. The men cheered when presented with the glorious warrior that had struck down the enemy leader, praising him as a hero. They cheered me once more and hailed me as one of the greatest generals they had served under. “Magnus, Magnus, Magnus” the entire army roared and it dawned on me that many of them, the young Danish soldiers, had never before gone to war, myself included. This was not our first battle, but it turned out to be our first lengthy campaign, one whose end was still far from sight. Still, one of the snake's heads had been severed today.

I was perhaps their greatest general but in fact I was their only general, the last one of my house, the last living member of my family.
    Last edited by Darkan; July 07, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
    DuckDuckGo

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [DLV 6.2 AAR] The Danish House of Hen (Ch.16 updated 07/07)

Hurrah, hurrah! Sautes is dead! Kinda sucks Magnus has to be their only general, I too get frustrated when my own characters don't produce children after an annoyingly long time.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast