Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historical Events - Help needed.

Default Re: Historical Events - Help needed.

Lol... I didn't win anything... but you could push me about the fact that Guimares would have been a better choice than Porto to be the main settlement of that province (next release I will change if I will remember to do it )

Sir_Borna's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    but you could push me about the fact that Guimares would have been a better choice than Porto to be the main settlement of that province )
    Not sure of that, if you wanna change porto I would put Braga, and other thing not sure if was in your map but think that Santiago don't have a harbour! I know that santiago has no coast but there was lots of places that could be the "harbour" of santiago like city of Viveiro or Catoira
    Last edited by Sir_Borna; February 14, 2007 at 05:54 PM.

Guimaraes was the capital mate There's still the huge royal castle there (just to witness between Castillans and Moors who they feared more )
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; February 14, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

Sir_Borna's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    Guimaraes was the capital mate There's
    still the huge royal castle there (just to witness between Castillans and
    Moors who they feared more )
    Yes, was the capital after 1096, but I think 1st you must be sure what you want for that region, if you want to be a castle put guimaraes, if you want a city put braga, cause was a bigger city! Yea guimares has a castle but braga has a cathedral! And guimares didn't get city walls til the end of XIII century and Braga was a walled city long before.

If it is not the late by then: 1568, start of the 80 year war, The Netherlands becomes a country (maybe give the AI the area of Brugge and Antwerp and call it a country )

And maybe if it is not to hard add protestantisme as a threath to catholisicm, so it would appear more cool, maybe let protestantisme
    start around the time Martin Luther died.

Greetings all

Very quickly as I'm writing from the office ;D.
    Firstly the pleasantries. Been following the mod fairly closely, without a doubt the most interesting of the historical realism-oriented out there so keep up the great work Re Berengario (and team if applicable).

Regarding the historic/histrorical events. (I haven't installed the mod yet so don't flame me for ignorance here ;P) I was wondering whether there is any event-wise implementation of medieval trade unions (Hanseatic League and possibly Kalmar Union etc)? I remeber that these were represented in M:TW1 - triggered by possession of particular provinces. With revamped diplomacy system of the mod, the whole dynamic of these commerce organisations is bound to be more complex/interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavomir View Post
    Regarding the historic/histrorical events. (I haven't installed the mod yet so don't flame me for ignorance here ;P) I was wondering whether there is any event-wise implementation of medieval trade unions (Hanseatic League and possibly Kalmar Union etc)? I remeber that these were represented in M:TW1 - triggered by possession of particular provinces. With revamped diplomacy system of the mod, the whole dynamic of these commerce organisations is bound to be more complex/interesting.

In MTW2 it's not something that can be done with ease but you gave me some ideas and I'll see if I'll manage to implement them in a productive way.

jon1's Avatar Foederatus

its quite a difficult thing to merge in historical with this type of game. while early events work well, after a while the games' actions render them impossible. (ie Joan of Arc event appearing when England & France are allied, or France defeated would be very anomalous!)

is it possible to trigger wars? that may be the solution, trigger a war between England & France in 1337 and leave it so that peace cant be declared until 144-whatever. that might work. in RTR 6 the event regarding 'Roman espionage in Carthage (274 BC i believe) is closely followed by outbreak of war

if thats not possible, then its probably best to only include the events which have no/little political significance (ie Scientific Discoveries)

Also a problem with 1 event already in the game is the Pecheneg invasion for Byzantium - the scripted mercenary reenforcements arrive outside of a settlement, and cost you approx 10,000florins - not cool when it happens 2 turns in a row it effectively ruins your campaign for the next 20 or so turns!

Also, perhaps tone down the effect of religions on alliance/reputation/ability to rule settlements - eg Jerusalem!, as having studied the crusades, dynasty and political ends were often prioritised over religious - witness Fatimid alliance with Crusaders in 1198-9 against Seljuk Turks

(Another!) Also, is there any way that distance from capital regarding logistics could be incorporated, if youre French army was in Jerusalem it would obviously cost more than in Flanders! (and exactly how do forts effect the costs - sometimes they do, sometimes they dont?!)

Other than that, great mod and i sincerely look forward to v1.0!

Out of curiosity Re Berengario, what's your approch to implementing the events? Are they to occur as consequence of Player/AI actions (conditional/triggered events) or do they occur following historical timeline and Player/AI are to react to them?

Personally I would prefer the former which would make events more context dependent and create more randomised gameplay with more potential for "what if" developments. The latter approach might on the other hand create more historically faithful campaign and be easier to script. The mind boggles.

Anyway I susspect you mixing both techniques to a degree but what's your agenda here?

some events like invasions of tribes can be scripted regardless. Others are and will be linked to the game situation, for example I can script the war between England and France if the former owns some provinces in France and the relationship between the 2 reigning dinasties aren't good.

"France" vs "England" and other dynastic/territorial conflicts are not really a major problem here as I presume they're rather well handled by the engine itself - in fact I'm not entirely sure whether "hard-scripting" this type of events is a good idea - that actually depends on the number of trigger variables you're willing to use. Yeah, the war itself can bring about some other events (e.g. English vs French war + English occupation of certain provinces = possible Joan of Ark event) but would you go as far as to "hard-script" the war to trigger because only in this way that woman (Joan) would do her thing as jon1 suggested - I don't think so. Consequently it is entirely possible that some events will not happen at all - but that's altering history for ya...

I agree that some events need to be scripted so that at some point (date as a main trigger) they're very likely to happen i.e Great Plague, Golden Horde, Blackpowder discovery etc, but still they could benefit from a bit of randomness to make their occurence less predictable (right now as soon as I hit 14th century mark I start stockpiling to alleviate the Plague hit). Again, that's my opinion though.

I'm curious however about some minor events. For example The Peasant Revolt in England 1381, local but quite dramatic event. Possible contributing factors in game: very high taxation, post-plague recession, possibly local lords' personalities, same for monarch's maybe, war being waged by the dynasty, level of church authority in the relevant provinces. The problem here is that the events of similar local scope are quite frequent and numerous throughout history. Having them realistically scripted in the game (read: context dependent) would be fantastic for the flavour but the amount of scipting plus the amount of checks the engine would have to do each round to determine if the events trigger... from what you saying I infer it's not very difficult but might be quite labourious.

Yep, labourious it's the right word

For example I already scripted the appearance of Hus as a powerful heretic (not my view, it was the Pope's one though ) together with some disciples. This combined to other existant factors in the game it could start rebellions but it could also not.

Isnt the idea of this kind of game our chance as players to rewrite history? meaning, why cant the danes completly dominate europe?

Your Mod as it is (0.93) is a brilliant mix of strategy and tactics. But attempting to make a 'historically correct time line' is not just a daunting task but rather a dead end. Whats the fun in playing england, having say 100,000 florins and unable to invade spain (just because it didnt happen historically).

what im saying is, by all means adding the flavour of actual historic events is entertaining, educating and so on. it isnt practical to force a player to not expand when conditions they have got them self in, allow it.

So the kinds of historical events you are looking for are not the ones that will restrict gameplay but add to it.

It is hard to code into the game that scotland will invade england on this turn especially if you dont even know if by that turn they will even be around! easy to find yourself with a crash because the game cant find 'said' faction' because its dead! or does not hold 'said province'.

I love your mod as it is, and look forward to the next release. but please, dont try to add so many historical events that it takes away from us gamers. The historical events that you have added that add only a roleplay elemnt are great, but trying to add what some have suggested could kill your mod...

Keep up the great work!

Kaosbouncer's Avatar Libertus

is it possible to code council of nobles missions? if so, you could give a CoN mission to an AI faction to take a certain city (if it hasn't yet) around the time that they took it historically. For example, if Portugal still hasn't taken Lisbon by 1175, give it a CoN mission to take it in eight turns (they took it in 1179). Since the AI almost always does the CoN missions, this could be a good way to make sure they expand when they're supposed to.
    In Soviet Russia, Pokemon gotta catch YOU!!!

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Would like to see that for americas, especialy Portugal taking Brazil
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

is it possible to code council of nobles missions? if so, you could give a CoN mission to an AI faction to take a certain city (if it hasn't yet) around the time that they took it historically. For example, if Portugal still hasn't taken Lisbon by 1175, give it a CoN mission to take it in eight turns (they took it in 1179). Since the AI almost always does the CoN missions, this could be a good way to make sure they expand when they're supposed to.
    Seems like a good idea...I think this can work!
    Last edited by CaesarBR; July 31, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Mispost...please delete
    Last edited by CaesarBR; July 31, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

I've made a huge list of events for a mod I'm thinking about start...but since I don't care about competition between mods and want all of them to be good, here it is:
    LIST OF EVENTS:

1080 – None
    1081 – None
    1082 – None
    1083 – Pax et treuga Dei (tell here about the church conventions about warfare between Catholics) (NC)
    1084 – None
    1085 – None
    1086 – The Domesday Book is completed in England
    1087 – Abu Ishaq Ibrahim ibn Yahya Al-Zarqali also known as Al-Zarqali and as Azarquiel in Southern Europe dies. (Tell here about his life, his works giving emphasis to his works about astrology and mathematics)
    1088 – Founding of the University of Bologna
    1089 – Palmyra destroyed by Earthquake
    1090 – Hassan-i Sabbah founds the order al-da'wa al-jadīda more known as the Order of the Hashshashins at the Fortress of Alamut. (Tell here about the history of Hassan life, his works and tell about the order, its practices and its ideals)(Give emphasis to the famous Hashshashins!)
    1091 – None
    1092 – A text about the French troubadours (Trovadores)
    1093 – None
    1094 – None
    1095 – Pope Urban II call the first crusade at the Council of Clermont (CORE EVENT)
    1096 – None
    1097 – None
    1098 – None
    1099 – None
    1100 – None
    1101 – Canute II of Denmark is canonized
    1102 – None
    1103 – None
    1104 – None
    1105 – West Germans begin the movements of colonization of East Germany (NC)
    1106 – None
    1107 – None
    1108 – None
    1109 – Abu Hāmed Mohammad ibn Mohammad al-Ghazzālī known as Algazel in Western Europe works are highly propagated and mark a change of tides in the Islamic Philosophy( Tell here about his works, giving an especial emphasis to the Tahafut al-Falasifa)
    1110 – Russian Primary Chronicle finished, it was written by Nestor the Chronicler (Check to see if it is right)
    1111 – None
    1112 – The people of Laon, France, proclaim a commune and murder their bishop
    1113 – The order of the Order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, more known as Knights Hospitaller, founded by Gerard Thomis is recognized by the Pope in his bull Geraudo institutori ac praeposito Hirosolimitani Xenodochii. (Tell more about the order here)
    1114 – None
    1115 – Pierre Abélard becomes canon of Notre Dame de Paris
    1116 – The modern book of separate pages stitched together is invented in China (NC)
    1117 – The earliest recorded use of a compass for navigation purposes (NC)
    1118 – Talk about Saxo Gramaticus and his Gesta Danorum here. (It’s meant to be a big and cool description)
    1119 –The Order of the Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici, more known as Knights Templar, are founded by the French knights Hughes de Payens and his relative Godfrey de Saint-Omer, veterans of the First Crusade1120 – Welcher of Malvern creates a system of measurement for the earth using degrees, minutes, and seconds of latitude and longitude.
    1121 – The Concordant of Worms (NC – PN)
    1122 – None
    1123 – None
    1124 – None
    1125 – Albert of Aix begins his Historia Hierosolymitanae expeditionis
    1126 – None
    1127 – None
    1128 – None
    1129 – At the Council of Troyes the Pope recognizes and confirms the Order of the Knights Templar, it makes the Order more influence and gives them a great list of donators from all corners of Europe.
    1130 – None
    1131 – A Byzantine work on the history of the word has been highly propagated throughout southeastern Europe, the Extracts of History, written byJohn Zonaras, in eighteen books. It tells the history of the world from the creation to the death of the Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus.
    1132 – None
    1133 – Geoffrey of Monmouth produces the Historia Regnum Britanniae (NC)
    1134 – Abdul Qadir Jilani becomes principal of the Hanbali School in Baghdad
    1135 – None
    1136 – None
    1137 – Abū-Bakr Muhammad ibn Yahya ibn al-Sāyigh known in the West as Avempace dies at Fez. (Tell here about his life, his premature death and his works that mostly were not totally completed due to his death)
    1138 – Deadly earthquake in Aleppo kills about 230,000 people
    1139 – None
    1140 – Camaldolite monk Gratian founds the science of Canon law with the publication of the Decretum
    1141 – None
    1142 – Matthew of Edessa (his works and the history of his life here)
    1143 – Robert of Ketton makes the first European translation of the Qur’an in Latin
    1144 – About Robert of Chester translation of an Arabian Book about alchemy to Latin named Liber de compositione alchimiae(Tell here about the book he would translate one year later, the Liber algebrae et almucabala too)(maybe should be set at 1147)
    1145 – The Papal bull Militia Dei gives even more privileges to the Knights Templar, This is the third and last of a serie of bulls by the Pope giving privileges to the Templars, it was preceded by the Omne Datum Optimum (1139) and Milites Templi (1144) (Tell extensively about this bulls and the privileges they gave to the Templars here)
    1146 – The Commune of Rome and its relations with the Papacy
    1147 – None
    1148 – Anna Comnena writes the Alexiad, which is a biography of her father, Emperor Alexius I
    1149 – None
    1150 – None
    1151 – European pressed Paper (The Vanilla event about it here)
    1152 – Church of Ireland acknowledges Pope's authority
    1153 – Islam expansion trough the Islands of the Indic Sea (NC)
    1154 – Muhammad al-Idrisi completes his atlas of the world, one of the most accurate maps at the middle Ages (tell more about al-Idrisi’s life and other works here)
    1155 – None
    1156 – Mosan artists create the Stavelot Triptych, a masterpiece of goldsmithing, as a reliquary to house purported pieces of the True Cross (NC)
    1157 – None
    1158 – None
    1159 – None
    1160 – None
    1161 – Abū Merwān ’Abdal-Malik ibn Zuhr also known as Avenzoar dies at Sevilla. (Tell here about his life and his works about medicine giving emphasis to his opus majora, The Method of Preparing Medicines and Diet)
    1162 – None
    1163 – Council of Tours is held, names and condemns Albigensians
    1164 – None
    1165 – None
    1166 – Khwaja Ahmad Yasavi dies. (Tell here about his life, works and influence)
    1167 – None
    1168 – None
    1169 – Talking about the courts of love at Poitiers
    1170 – None
    1171 – Hajji Bektash Wali dies, the Sufi order founded by him, the Bektashism has many adepts. (Tell more about his life, his Order and his teachings here)
    1172 – None
    1173 – None
    1174 – First known race track of the post-classical era opens at Newmarket in London
    1175 – None
    1176 – Carthusian Order approved
    1177 – None
    1178 – The Sung Document written detailing the discovery of "Mu-Lan-Pi" (suggested by some to be California) by Muslim sailors
    1179 – Third Council of the Lateran condemned Waldensians and Cathars as heretics, institutes a reformation of clerical life, and creates the first "ghettos" for Jews.
    1180 – None
    1181 – None
    1182 – Windmills (A text like the one from vanilla about windmills technologic advances in Western Europe)
    1183 – None
    1184 – Papal bull ad aboldendam issued against several European heretical groups: the Cathars, the Waldensians, the Patarines and the Humiliati, theoretically the formation of the Great “Holy” inquisition
    1185 – None
    1186 – None
    1187 – Compass in Europe
    1188 – None
    1189 – None
    1190 – "On the Harmony of Religions and Philosophy" (ar. Kitab fasl al-maqal) first published.
    1191 – About compass (Similar to the vanilla text about it)
    1192 – None
    1193 – Nalanda, India’s greatest Buddhist University, sacked and burned
    1194 – None
    1195 – None
    1196 – About Anti-Semitism at Europe at this time, tells about atrocities committed and etc…
    1197 – The Great Georgian poet, Shota Rustaveli finishes his major poem, the Vepkhistqaosani (The Knight in the Panther's Skin) (Tell here a little about Rustaveli’s life and this poem which was really magnific)
    1198 – The Ordo domus Sanctæ Mariæ Theutonicorum Ierosolimitanorum also known as Teutonic Order is officially transformed in a military order based on the model of the Knights Templar and the Hospitaller Knights, after this they are also known as Teutonic Knights. (Tell more here about the Teutonic Knights history, it’s meant to be a big and interesting text)
    1199 – Abu al-Walid Muhammad Ibn Ahmad Ibn Rushd known in Europe as Averroes dies. (Tell here about the history of his life, his works and his importance to both Islamic and Christian philosophies and sciences, this text has to be big due to his importance and the extension of his works). (Averroes is most famous for his translations and commentaries of Aristotle's works, which had been mostly forgotten in the West, talk about it in this text). Tahafut al-tahafut, in which he defended Aristotelian philosophy against al-Ghazali's claims in Tahafut al-falasifa was an important work of him too but wasn’t well received by the wider Islamic audience. (Talk about Averroism here too).
    1200 – Leonardo Fibonacci published Liber Abaci, introducing the Arabian zero to Europe
    1201 – Major earthquake kills 1.1 million people in Upper Egypt and Syria (Eastern Mediterranean) (Show this as a disaster of Epic proportions with huge impact in the cities of these regions) (NC)
    1202 – Founding of the Fratres miliciæ Christi de Livonia (Livonian Brothers of the Sword) (tell more about this order here)
    1203 – About Wheelbarrows (Similar to the vanilla text about it)
    1204 – Moshe ben Maimon known also as Moses Maimonides dies in Fostat, Egypt his works on Jewish law and culture, philosophy and principally in medicine were of great importance. His major opus, the Mishneh Torah, a code of Jewish law is considered one of the most important works about Judaism. (Talk here about his life and his works, focusing on the Medicine part)
    1205 – Ibn Ismail Ibn al-Razzaz Al-Jazari great inventions (Talk here about his inventions, his life and his major work Al-Jami Bain Al-Ilm Wal-Amal Al-Nafi Fi Sinat'at Al-Hiyal)
    1206 – Buddhism declines in India
    1207 – (About the Nibelungenlied and its great success through Medieval Europe) (NC) (maybe should be in another year)
    1208 – None
    1209 – The Franciscans are founded
    1210 – None
    1211 – Gottfried von Strassburg writes his epic poem Tristan about 1210 (NC)
    1212 – None
    1213 – None
    1214 – None
    1215 – The Emperor of Jin China surrenders to the Mongols under Genghis Khan who have been besieging Beijing for a year, Beijing sacked. He pays a huge ransom and then abandons Northern China, heading for Kaifeng (here the description of the Mongolic devastation of China will be too)
    1216 – The newly founded Dominican Order recognized as an Order by the Pope
    1217 – Genghis Khan destroys Kara-Khitai; this absorbs many other nomadic tribes into the Mongol fold such as the Tartars, Kipchaks, Kazaks, Kyrgiz, Qarluq, and Naimans. Many of the Muslims are harshly repressed, forcing them to convert to either Buddhism or Nestorian Christianity. (A remember of the mighty Mongol threat here)
    1218 – Some year close to this one: Mongol Invasions (provisory placed in this year) (CORE EVENT) (Invasion of both hordes??)
    1219 – None
    1220 – Trial by ordeal abolished in England
    1221 – None
    1222 – None
    1223 – Franciscan Rule is approved by the Pope
    1224 – None
    1225 – None
    1226 – Francis of Assisi, who would latter become saint dies.
    1227 – The Mighty Genghis Khan Dies being succeeded by his son Ogedei (Make a great alarm about it as a sign of hope for the peoples attacked by his Mongols) (Tell here about the history of his life, Make a huge and cool text)
    1228 – Francis of Assisi, founder of the Franciscan order, Canonized
    1229 – University of Paris strike of 1229
    1230 – None
    1231 – Carmina Burana, a great collection of poetries and songs
    1232 – Abu al-Hassan Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Muhammad better known as Ali 'izz al-Din Ibn al- Athir al-Jazari completes his major opus, the al-Kamil fi at-Tarikh, about the history of the world, his work will become one of the bases of the Islamic historiography
    1233 – Mustansiriya University founded in Baghdad
    1234 – Sung and Mongolian armies occupied Caizhou. Collapse of the Jin Dynasty (1115-1234)
    1235 – Canonization of Saint Dominic
    1236 – General inquisition in France
    1237 – The Mongols invade Russia (some kind of local introduction) (NC)
    1238 – The Livonian Brothers of the Sword are incorporated in the Teutonic Order
    1239 – None
    1240 – None
    1241 – The Khagan Ogedei, ruler of the Mongol Empire, dies. A period of Regency begins (Making the Mongol invasions in Central Asia and western Europe Weaker) (Tell about his life here)
    1242 – The Great Icelandic historian, poet and politician, Snorri Sturluson, dies (Talk here about his life and his works giving emphasis to Prose Edda and History of the Norse Kings)
    1243 – None
    1244 – None
    1245 – None
    1246 – None
    1247 – Guyuk Khan becomes Khagan of the Mongol Empire after the five years of Regency that succeeded Ogedei Khan’s death; the regent was Töregene Khatun, Ogedei Khan’s widow. One year after, at 1248, Guyuk dies.
    1248 – Abu Muhammad Abdallah Ibn Ahmad Ibn al-Baitar Dhiya al-Din al-Malaqi dies at Damascus. He was the greatest botanist and pharmacist of his time. In 1219 he left Málaga to travel in the Islamic world to collect plants. He travelled from the northern coast of Africa as far as Anatolia. The major stations he visited include Bugia, Constantinople, Tunis, Tripoli, Barqa and Adalia. Ibn Al-Baitar’s major contribution to science was Kitab al-Jami fi al-Adwiya al-Mufrada. His second major work was Kitab al-Mlughni fi al-Adwiya al-Mufrada which is an encyclopedia of medicine. (Tell here about his life and works)
    1249 –Roger Bacon publishes a major scientific work, including writings of convex lens spectacles for treating long-sightedness and the first publication of the formula for gunpowder in the western world.
    1250 – Five Years after leaving Lyon at 1245 with a mission assembled by the pope to deliver a message to the Mongol court suggesting (amongst other things) that the Mongols convert to Christianity and three years after returning to Europe from Mongolia with a message from Guyuk Khan to the Pope were he refuses the invitation to become Christian and demands that the Pope and the rulers of Europe should come to him and swear allegiance, Giovanni da Pian Del Carpine ,a former Franciscan friar and archbishop of Antivari in Dalmatia, finishes his works Historia Mongalorum quos nos Tartaros appellamus and Liber Tartarorum. This treatise is divided into eight ample chapters on the country, climate, manners, religion, character, history, policy and tactics of the Mongols, and on the best way of opposing them, followed by a single (ninth) chapter on the regions passed through in his journey. In his work Giovanni present four name lists: of the nations conquered by the Mongols; of the nations which had up to 1247 successfully resisted; of the Mongol princes; and of the witnesses to the truth of his narrative, including various merchants trading in Kiev whom he had met. One of Giovanni's more innovative recommendations in his work is the development of light cavalry to combat Mongol tactics, a wise leader should think about doing it soon.
    1251 – Möngke Khan is elected as the fourth great Khan of the Mongol Empire, after a period of three years of regency by Guyuk Khan’s widow, Oghul Ghaimish.
    1252 – Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bull Ad exstirpanda, which authorizes the torture of heretics in the Medieval Inquisition. Torture quickly gains widespread usage across Catholic Europe. (Introduction to the Inquisition horrors)
    1253 – Matthew Paris writes Historia Anglorum, a work on English history
    1254 – None
    1255 – The Flemish Franciscan missionary William of Rubruck presents to his king his report about his travel to Mongolia, the Itinerarium fratris Willielmi de Rubruquis de ordine fratrum Minorum, Galli, Anno gratia 1253 ad partes Orientales.
    William and his party set out from Europe in May, 1253 on a missionary journey to convert the Tartars. They went eastwards and traversed Cumania; nine days after crossing the Don they met the ruler of the Kipchak Khanate. The Khan sent William on to his father, Batu Khan (OBS: maybe his name should not be here), at Sarai, near the Volga. Batu refused conversion to Christianity and sent the ambassadors on to the Khagan Möngke. They reached Karakorum at Easter, 1254. After residing there for some time they returned home, without having achieved their goal, reaching William’s king court at the spring of 1255.
    In his report, William describes the peculiarities of the Far East, makes many geographical and anthropological observations and proves to be a good observer, and an excellent writer. He asked and answered many questions along the way and did not take folk tale and fable as truth. William's report is divided into 40 chapters. Chapters 1 - 10 relate general observations about the Mongols and their customs. Chapters 11 - 40 give an account of the course and the events of William's voyage.
    William of Rubruck's report is undoubtedly much more informative and accurate than the reports done previously by Giovanni da Pian del Carpine in 1250, Ascelin in 1248 and André de Longjumeau in 1251, the Europeans who travelled from Europe to Mongolia as ambassadors and missionaries before William.
    1256 – The Pope issues a papal bull Licet ecclesiae catholicae constituting the Augustinian monastic order at Lecceto Monastery (In this year a volcano located close to Medina entered in eruption)
    1257 – Matthew Paris, English historian, personally interviews the King of England for a week straight while compiling his major work of English history, Chronica Majora
    **1258 –One of the largest volcanic eruptions of the Holocene epoch occurs, possibly from a tropical location such as El Chichón, Mexico or Quilotoa, Ecuador. Observed effects of the eruption include the following anecdotal accounts: dry fog in France; lunar eclipses in England; severe winter in Europe; a "harsh" spring in Northern Iceland; famine in England, Western Germany, France, and Northern Italy; and pestilence in London, parts of France, Austria, Iraq, Syria, and South-East Turkey.
    1259 – German musical theorist Franco of Cologne publishes Ars Cantus Mensurabilis, in which he advances a new theory of musical notation in which the length of a musical note is denoted by the shape of that note, a system still used today. (NC)
    1260 – Jacobus de Voragine compiles his work, the Golden Legend, a late medieval best-seller
    *1261 – The history of the Þiðrekssaga achieves popularity in Scandinavia. (Tell more about this history here)
    1262 – Pope bans the movement of Flagellants
    1263 – None
    1264 – Five years after the Death of Möngke Khan at the legendary Fishing Village, in China, Kublai Khan capture his brother Ariq Boke, who has declared himself Khagan along with Kublai in 1260, winning the civil war and becoming the Great Khagan of the Mongol Empire. Kublai formally divide the Mongol Empire in four khanates, each ruled by a separate khan and overseen by the Great Khan, the Golden Horde, the Il-Khanate, the Chagatai Khanate and the Great Khanate (Tell a little more about Kublai here, emphasize that he is highly enamored of the Chinese culture)
    1265 – None
    1266 – None
    1267 – Roger Bacon completes his work Opus Majus and sends it to the Pope, who had requested it be written; the work contains wide-ranging discussion of mathematics, optics, alchemy, astronomy, astrology, and other topics, and includes what some believe to be the first description of a magnifying glass. Bacon also completes Opus Minus, a summary of Opus Majus, later in the same year
    1268 – An earthquake in Cilicia kills an estimated 60,000 people
    1269 – None
    1270 – Witelo translates Alhazen's 200-year-old treatise on optics, Kitab al-Manazir, from Arabic into Latin, bringing the work to European academic circles for the first time
    1271 – None
    1272 – The works of the Great Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn al-Hasan al-Tūsī also known as Nasīr al-Dīn al-Tūsī. (Talk here about his life, his teachings and his works giving emphasis to the Zij-i ilkhaniwhich contains tables that accurately calculates the positions of the planets)
    1273 – The Great Sufi Mawlānā Jalāl-ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī dies at Konya, Anatolia. His major work, the Masnavi-I Ma'navi will become one of the major works of Islam and acclaimed by many as second only to the Qur’an (Tell here more about Rumi life and more about his works) some months latter his followers establish the Sufi order of the Whirling Dervishes in the city of Konya
    1274 – The six-year long battle of Xiangyang ends as commander of the Song Dynasty's forces surrender to Kublai Khan. The battle is the first in which firearms are used in combat
    1275 – Thomas Aquinas, later saint, dies (?)
    1276 – None
    1277 – None
    1278 – The earliest known written copy of the Avesta, a collection of ancient sacred Persian Zoroastrian texts previously passed down orally, is produced
    1279 – Al-Razi's important medical writings are translated into Latin by Faraj ben Salim some 350 years after Al-Razi's death
    1280 – Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi completes his work Nihayat al-idrak fi dirayat al-aflak, the part of it in which the possibility of heliocentrism is discussed is not given importance by most scholars
    1281 – Abu-l ‘Abbas Ahmad ibn Khallikan major work, the Wafayat al-Ayan is highly propagated among the Muslim scholarship. (Talk more here about ibn Khallikan and some of his works, giving emphasis to the Wafayat al-Ayan)
    1282 – The technology of watermarks is introduced by paper manufacturers of Bologna (NC)
    1283 – The Libro de los juegos, an early European treatise on board games (including chess, dice, and a version of backgammon), is commissioned by King Alfonso X of Castile between 1251 and 1283
    1284 – None
    1285 – Jean de Meun translates Vegetius' 4th century military treatise De Re Militari from Latin into French
    1286 – The Catholicon, a religious Latin dictionary, is completed by John Balbi of Genoa
    1287 – First Eyeglasses (Very similar to the vanilla text about it)
    1288 – Ala-al-din abu Al-Hassan Ali ibn Abi-Hazm al-Qarshi al-Dimashqi known as Ibn al-Nafis dies. He discovered the circulatory system, expanding upon the work done by the earlier Persian physician, Ibn Sina, also known as Avicenna ( talk here about his life and his works, giving emphasis to the Al-Shamil fi al-Tibb a big encyclopedia that was leaved incomplete because of his death)
    1289 – Franciscan friars begin missionary work in China
    1290 – The Local Ruler of Portucale decrees that Portuguese be the official language of Portucale
    1291 – Discovery of Gunpowder (1291-1299) (provisory placed here) (CORE EVENT)
    1292 – None
    1293 – None
    1294 –The last Khagan of the Mongol Empire, Kublai Khan, dies. This allows the four khanates of the Mongol Empire to formally become independent; they had already been moving toward independence during Kublai's reign. (Talk here about all the great things that happened at Kublai Khan Administration and about his foundation of the Yuan Dinasty of China at 1271)(Put his biography here too)(This text is to be Big and cool)
    1295 – None
    1296 – None
    1297 – None
    1298 – Three years after his return to Italy from his travels to China, while in prison in Genoa, Marco Polo dictates his Travels to a local writer. (A fascinating description of his travels here)
    1299 – None
    1300 – None
    1301 – About the new clock mechanism (Similar to vanilla event talking about it)
    1302 – None
    1303 – None
    1304 – None
    1305 – None
    1306 – Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi completes the Durrat al-taj li-ghurratt al-Dubaj who would become he most famous work
    1307 – Per Abad writes the codex of the Cantar de mio Cid
    1308 – None
    1309 – About Sawmills (Similar to the vanilla text about it) (not sure it should be set in this year)
    1310 – None
    1311 – Lots of heresy accusations against the Knights Templar, lots of order members are even arrested, this is a mark of the decline of Templars influence, reputation and power, the situation just seems to get worse and worse for them since 1305
    1312 – None
    1313 – None
    1314 – The Mappa Mundi is made. It showed Jerusalem at the centre, as decreed in the Bible
    1315 – Ball Play denounced (The vanilla text about the banishing of “football at London”)
    1316 – None
    1317 – None
    1318 – None
    1319 – None
    1320 – None
    1321 – Dante Alighieri’s death, The Divine Comedy, his greatest work, is the central epic poem of Italian literature, a culmination of the medieval world-view of the afterlife; it established the Tuscan dialect in which it is written as the Italian standard. (Talk here about Dante and his writings)
    1322 – None
    1323 – Pharos of Alexandria Lighthouse (one of the Seven Wonders of the World) is severely damaged by a series of earthquakes
    1324 – Publication of Defensor pacis by Marsilius of Padua
    1325 – None
    1326 – Aradia de Toscano, is initiated into a Dianic cult of Italian Witchcraft (Stregheria), and discovers through a vision that she is the human incarnation of the goddess Aradia. Known as La Bella Pelegrina amongst the outlaws near Lake Nemi, she becomes the leader of a religious anarchist movement. (Talk about witchcraft at this time in here too)
    1327 – None
    1328 – None
    1329 – Abu Al-fida' Isma'il Ibn Kathir 'imad Ad-din known in West as Abulfeda finishes his Opus majora, the Tarikhu 'l-mukhtasar fi Akhbari 'l-basha'also known as Tarikh Abul Fida, an history book that tells the history of humanity from the creation of the world until 1329 called
    1330 – Ethiopian Emperor, Amda Seyon I, begins his campaigns against the Muslims living in the southern provinces of Ethiopia, seeking to stop the spread of Islam and to spread Ethiopian Christianity (NC)
    1331 – Maximus Planudes dies. (Tell here about his life, his works and his translation of Greek texts to Latin (give emphasis to it)
    1332 – None
    1333 – None
    1334 – The first recorded outbreak of the Black Death occurred in Hubei (retrate this as a description of a great plague happened in a far land that killed many people)
    1335 – Talk about the great mechanic clock of Milan (Similar to the Vanilla text about it)
    1336 – None
    1337 – The Great Mansa Musa, leader of Mali makes his pilgrimage to Mecca
    1338 – None
    1339 – None
    1340 – None
    1341 – Petrarch is crowned poet laureate in Rome, the first man since antiquity to be given this honor (here a description about Petrarch and his works)
    1342 – None
    1343 – The Pope issues his Bull Unigenitus, defining the doctrine of "The Treasury of Merits" or "The Treasury of the Church" as the basis for the issuance of indulgences by the Catholic Church. (Talk here about the indulgences)
    1344 – None
    1345 – Miracle of the Host (talk about it and about the repercussion of miracles like this in Christian Europe)
    1346 – None
    1347 – The Black Death ravages Europe (1347 – 1351) (Separe it in many events as done in vanilla)(CORE EVENT)
    1348 – Papal bull protecting Jews against popular aggression during the Black Death epidemic, it was not totally respected by the population
    1349 – The Pope publishes a papal bull that condemns the Flagellants once more
    1350 – None
    1351 – None
    1352 – None
    1352 – None
    1353 – Giovanni Boccaccio finishes his opus major, The Decameron
    1354 – None
    1355 – Published the Rihla, the amazing history of the travels of Abu Abdullah Muhammad Ibn Battuta who travelled almost the entirety of the known Islamic world, going as far as China. This book was dictated by Ibn Battuta to a scholar named Ibn Juzayy, whom he had met while in Granada. This account, recorded by Ibn Juzayy and interspersed with the latter's own comments, is the primary source of information for his adventures. (Tell here about Ibn Battuta life and about his travels, this is to be a big, cool and amazing text)
    1356 – The Basel earthquake of 1356, also known as the Great Basel Earthquake, is the most significant seismological event to have occurred in Central Europe in recorded history
    1357 – First recorded public exhibition of the Shroud of Turin (Talk about this Relic)
    1358 – The majority of the Great Pyramid of Giza's limestone casing stones is removed to build fortresses and mosques in the nearby city of Cairo, leaving the first of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World in the step-stone condition in which it remains today
    1359 – None
    1360 – None
    1361 – None
    1362 – The "Grote Mandrenke" storm tide strikes Holland, England, Germany and Denmark destroying the city of Rungholt in Nordfriesland, Germany
    1363 – None
    1364 – None
    1365 – None
    1366 – None
    1367 – None
    1368 – Hongwu (also known as Zhu Yuanzhang) establishes the Ming Dynasty in China after the disintegration the Mongol Yuan Dynasty. Work begins on the current Great Wall of China
    1369 – None
    1370 – Steel Crossbow first used as a weapon of war (NC)
    1371 – None
    1372 – Talk here about medieval playing cards (principally in Spain)
    1373 – None
    1374 – The great Petrarch Dies
    1375 – The illness dancing mania begins in Aix-la-Chapelle, possibly due to ergotism (talk about some other medieval diseases here too)
    1376 – Al-Jurjani returns to Shiraz from Constantinople to become a teacher
    1377 – None
    1378 – Appearance of Halley's Comet
    1379 – None
    1380 – None
    1381 – None
    1382 – None
    1383 – None
    1384 – None
    1385 – None
    1386 – None
    1387 – None
    1388 – The completion of the Wycliffe Bible by John Purvey and the beginning of prosecution of Wycliffe's followers, known as the Lollards (talk here all about Wyclif teachings, works and expectation of reforms in the church and talk about some consequences of his teachings too)
    1389 – None
    1390 – The Kingdom of Kaffa is established in present day Ethiopia (Tells a little more about Africa at south to Nubia)
    1391 – None
    1392 – None
    1393 – None
    1394 – None
    1395 – None
    1396 – None
    1397 – The Canterbury Tales (talks about the Canterbury tales, finished few years before)
    1398 – None
    1399 – None
    1400 – Jean Froissart completes his Chronicles detailing the events of the 14th Century in France
    1401 – None
    1402 – Great Comet of 1402 sighted
    1403 – None
    1404 – None
    1405 – Publication of Bellifortis by Konrad Kyeser
    1406 – Abū Zayd ‘Abdu r-Rahman bin Muhammad bin Khaldūn al-Hadramī, more known as Ibn Khaldun, dies. (Tell here about his life and his works, giving an especial attention to the Muqaddimah and to the Kitābu l-ʕibār, the history of the world, this text have to be huge, cool and informative)
    1407 – Early feminist Christine de Pizan writes The Book of the City of Ladies (talk about it as weird)
    1408 – The Yongle Encyclopedia is completed (Talk about how powerfull could a state located more westwards from China could be possessing the knowledge contained in it)
    1409 – None
    1410 – None
    1411 – None
    1412 – None
    1413 – None
    1414 – None
    1415 – The Pope condemns the writings of John Wycliffe and asks Jan Hus to recant in public his heresy; after his denial, he is tried for heresy, excommunicated then sentenced to be burned at the stake (here also a description of the life of Hus and a description of his movement and its consequences)
    1416 – None
    1417 – None
    1418 – None
    1419 – None
    1420 – None
    1421 – St. Elizabeth flood, the coastal area near Dordrecht in Holland was flooded due to extremely high tide of the North Sea. 72 villages were drowned, killing about 10,000 people
    1422 – None
    1423 – None
    1424 – None
    1425 – None
    1426 – None
    1427 – Diogo de Silves, Portuguese navigator, discovers seven islands of the Azores archipelago (Tell here about the adventures of Iberians in the Eastern Half of the Atlantic Ocean)
    1428 – None
    1429 – None
    1430 – None
    1431 – Talk here about the systematic chasing of Witches and give example of some of them, Like Joan of Arc, burned in this year
    1432 – None
    1433 – The Ming Dynasty in China disbands their navy, altering the balance of power in the Indian Ocean; this measure makes the hegemony over the Indic Ocean an easier Accomplishment to reach for any faction who tries it (NC)
    1434 – None
    1435 – None
    1436 – None
    1437 – Mīrzā Mohammad Taragai bin Shāhrukh Zij-i-Sultani star catalogue is published (talk more about Mīrzā Mohammad Taragai bin Shāhrukh and his works here too)
    1438 – None
    1439 – None
    1440 – None
    1441 – Two Ethiopians attend an ecclesiastical council, as part of the negotiations concerning a possible union of Coptic and Roman Catholic Christianity
    1442 – The Genial painter Jan van Eyck dies. (Tell more here about his life, innovations and works)
    1443 – None
    1444 – Founding of the Laurentian Library
    1445 – None
    1446 – None
    1447 – None
    1448 – None
    1449 – None
    1450 – The World is Round (1450 –1482) (Provisory place) (CORE EVENT)
    1451 – Nicholas of Cusa invents concave lens spectacles to treat myopia (NC)
    1452 – None
    1453 – None
    1454 – None
    1455 – Johann Gutenberg prints the Holy Bible with movable type printing press, technology he has invented two years ago (Here will be told lots of things about Gutenberg and his printings)
    1456 – None
    1457 – None
    1458 – None
    1459 – None
    1460 – None
    1461 – None
    1462 – None
    1463 – None
    1464 – Nicholas of Cusa dies (Tell here about his life and works, giving attention to the De Docta Ignorantia)
    1465 – None
    1466 – None
    1467 – Circa this year, polyalphabetic cipher invented by Leone Battista Alberti (talk here about Leone Battista Alberti life and achievements)
    1468 – None
    1469 – About abundant number African slaves traded (maybe should be set later)
    1470 – None
    1471 – None
    1472 – Janus Pannonius, the brilliant Hungarian humanist, dies. (Tell here about his life and works)
    1473 – None
    1474 – None
    1475 – A new kind of business take place at Constantinople, Kiva Han, the world's first coffee house, opened by a Turkish habitant
    1476 – George Sphrantzes finishes his work Chronicle, containing the history of the Rulers of Byzantium from 1258-1476
    1477 – None
    1478 – None
    1479 – About a new kind of game who is getting more and more popular, the Chess
    1480 – Leonardo da Vinci invents the parachute
    1481 – Jan Długosz finishes his work about the history of southern Europe from 965 to 1480, the Annales seu cronici incliti regni Poloniae, and dies in the same year. (Tell more here about his life and his works)
    1482 – None
    1483 – None
    1484 – None
    1485 –Nur ad-Din Abd ar-Rahman Jami completes his major poetic work, the Haft Awrang (Tell more here about Jami and his works)
    1486 – None
    1487 – Publication of the witch-hunter manual Malleus Maleficarum
    1488 – None
    1489 – Typhus sweeps through Spain, its first appearance in Europe
    1490 – Leonardo da Vinci develops an oil lamp: the flame was enclosed in a glass tube placed inside a water-filled glass globe
    1491 – Catholic missionaries arrive in the African kingdom of Kongo
    1492 – A Rock fell from the sky in a wheat field near the village of Ensisheim in Alsace making a huge destruction to its landing site, the panic got even bigger when news coming trough merchants from China tells about a huge rock that fell from the sky about two years ago killing thousands, this facts just seem to confirm the old theories that the apocalypse will happen at this year due to its been the year 7000 of the Byzantine calendar from the date of creation. Almost everyone who listen this horrible things fear for their lives, principally Christians
    1493 – Jewish Pentateuch first printed with Gutenberg’s printing press
    1494 – Tirant Lo Blanc by Joanot Martorell and Martí Joan De Galba, published four years ago, makes lots of success throughout Europe and the Mediterranean (Tells here about the history of the romance)
    1495 – None
    1496 – Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine
    1497 – About the lots of Sailors and Adventurers who travels at the Atlantic and even the Indic Ocean (probably this event should be set some years earlier)
    1498 – None
    1499 – None
    1500 – None
    1501 – Amerigo Vespucci maps the two stars, Alpha Centauri and Beta Centauri as well as the stars of the constellation Crux, which were below the horizon in Europe (talk a bit more about Amerigo here)
    1502 – In Italy, Asher Lämmlein declares the Jewish Messiah would arrive in the next six months, resulting in the "year of penance” mostly at Italy
    1503 –One year before, in Germany, Peter Henlein of Nuremberg used iron parts and coiled springs to build a portable timepiece, it is fastly becoming popular throughout Europe (checar pra ver se ta certim)
    1504 – In Florence, Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolò Machiavelli become involved in a scheme to divert the Arno River that was a major failure due to the failure of Colombino’s, the project foreman, to follow da Vinci’s design / Michelangelo's sculpture of David is erected (at Florence)
    1505 – Raphael paints one year before "The Marriage of the Virgin" (exemplifies some major principles of High Renaissance art). (1504 and 1505 needs to be worked with attention)
    1506 – None
    1507 – Martin Waldseemüller publishes his world map, naming the new continent America in honour of Amerigo Vespucci
    1508 – Leonardo da Vinci completes the Mona Lisa
    ***1509 – Constantinople earthquake, referred to as The Lesser Judgment Day by some contemporaries kills 10,000 people
    *1510 – Erasmus of Rotterdam publishes his most famous work, In Praise of Folly
    **1511 – Peter Henlein builds the first pocketwatch
    1512 – Copernicus writes Commentariolus and moves the sun to the center of the solar system
    1513 – The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, painted by Michelangelo Buonarroti, is exhibited to the public for the first time (originally it happened at November 1512)
    1514 – None
    1515 – Thomas More publishes Utopia
    1516 – Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam publishes a new Latin translation of the New Testament
    1517 – Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther posts his 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Castle Church
    1518 – None
    1519 – Martin Luther joins the debate regarding papal authority against John Eck at Leipzig and Martin Luther questions the infallibility of papal decrees
    1520 – Mannerism, artistic form, appears in Italy and spreads
    1521 – Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull Decet Romanum Pontificem, after this Luther disappears for a year - he is rumored to be murdered but really is hiding (talk in here about the fact that Luther has burned a copy of The Book of Cannon Law (see Canon Law) and his copy of the Papal bull Exsurge Domine in the previous year)
    1522 – The Vittoria, one of the surviving ships of Ferdinand Magellan's expedition, returns to Sanlucar de Barrameda in Spain, becoming the first known ship to circumnavigate the world
    1523 – None
    1524 – Bubonic Plague spreads in southern France, this is a minor stroke, nothing devastator
    1525 – The Swiss Anabaptist Movement was born when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and about a dozen others baptized each other in the home of Manz's mother on Neustadt-Gasse, Zurich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union ( More weakening to the church, first Luther and now this!) (NC)
    1526 – None
    1527 – None
    1528 – Bubonic plague breaks out in England/ Fourth major outbreak of the sweating sickness in England. This time the disease also spreads to northern Europe. (Merge both events in only one text)
    1529 – A flood engulfs Rome
    1530 – End of the Game

Ignore the notes between () and other things like symbols and abreviations in the list, I've made them for myself to remember how I want some descriptions to be.

Hope it helps!

Good luck with your mod,
    MaximianusBR
    Last edited by CaesarBR; July 31, 2007 at 08:12 PM.

technishn08's Avatar Decanus

Hey guys--

I just thought that I would try to throw in my two cents here. Fist of all, I rather think that the Byzantine Empire should have the option to train gunpowder units. But hear me out. Historically (at least during the last throws of the Empire), right before the final seige of Constantinopolis (lol thats what we call it in Italy), a Dutch cannon-maker went to Constantine XII, and offered to install enormous cannons on the Theodosian Wall. Constantine XII dismissed this cannon-maker who then went to the Turks and made the cannons for them. These cannons were the ones that leveled the walls. There is some speculation as to why in hell Constantine XII would deny such an offer. The original theory was that the last Byzantine emperor did not believe in change (just like his predecesors), and that "What worked for their grandfathers would work for them." However, research shows that the Theodosian walls did in fact have small "anti-infantry" guns on them to destroy small seige weapons. So why did Constantine refuse the offer? The new idea is that the Byzantine engineers (some of the best in the world) did some math and figured that the 1000-year old walls would be destroyed by the recoil created by the cannons, and even if the tried to strap them down, the cannons would go flying back into the city after every shot. Another idea is that the Byzantines could simply not afford them! Because of this I think that the Byzantine Empire should have the option of training gunpowder units, but maybe there could be some kind of condition, like they have to have a certain amount of money at a certain time or whatever (I don't even know if this is possible lol). It would be fun; playing as the Byzantines is a real drag especially when you see the world evolve without you. Besides, isn't the point of Total War games to re-shape history?

P.S., I based this info, on a my Roman History class (I'm currently an exchange student in Italy--its great!), so there is no website... Sorry about that.
    Is it not worthy of tears that, when the number of worlds is infinite, we have not yet become lords of a single one?-Alexander the Great

Icon10 Re: Historical Events - Help needed.

Yay a chance to contriblute!

well one of the most important events in English history is the invention of the concept of Magna Carta-No one is above the law. This was dreamed up by King John in a meadow in between Winsor and Staines on 15 June 1215. This document limited the kings power and gave a bit to his Barons. To see a translation of the original document use this URL: http://www.bl.uk/treasures/magnacarta/translation.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast