Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AD: Bugs Thread

Time for your .92B beta update from Egypt. Sorry, I will use the vanilla country names as I can remember the spelling far more easily. The follow questions/observations are in no particular order, just things I noticed or came to mind.

1. You say you added three new provinces, where and what are they called?

2. Should/do global standing affect all players the same? In other words, if I as a muslim faction declare a jihad against Rome and win, does my global standing go up with everyone? Should it go up with muslims, down with catholics, and remain unchanged with orthodox?

3. Should global standing be affected by distance? Do the Scotts really care what I am doing in Egypt to my neighbors as much as the Turks do?

4. Does moving THROUGH an opponents territory but not ending the turn standing in it affect global standing? If so, does this apply to the AI players as well?

5. The loading of saved games, and the initial set up seem to take significantly longer than the .92a version. The progress bar doesn't move at all for a long time, and then suddenly it quickly fills up and you are able to play. It is as if the computer is in some loop looking for information and then decides it cannot find it, lets load what we have.

6. Does Byzantine no longer start with Naples? Does Venice now start with but one city?

7. Speaking of Venice, have you programmed anything special for them so that they are more mercantile in nature other than given them some initial advantages? In other words, once they have grown a little will they just be like everyone else but with significantly greater economic resources or will they stay small but try to manipulate the global economy?

8. In .92a, the Iberian rebel towns were predominantly muslim. Now they are not. Was this intential? I do realise that the regions are partially muslim 35 to 40% so. How does this affect the global standing for both the Moors and the catholic factions for taking these rebel towns?

9. Are the cities of Constantinople and Lund intended to be 'blocker' cities that prevent land passage beyond them? If so, if there a way to let non-military units pass, ie, diplomats? Would that even be desired?

10. Murrakush and Morocco show up on the campaign maps as orange colored dots at the beginning of the game.

11. Are the historical updates given at the beginning of the turn that you have added suppose to happen in the year they did historically or have you added some random factor to allow a little variance? (They are not happening in the exact years mentioned.)

12. Should Afghan javelin men be purchasable in the Jeddah region?

13. Some of the diplomatic missions seem a little too short. They often are only given 5 turns to complete and take a full 4 turns to get there. So, yes you can still do them, but only if you start right away.

14. Is there a way to make gifted military units (ones awarded by the game for completing missions) have a free upkeep? Would this be a desired effect?

15. At the start of the game, Tunis is held by Fatimid rebels. As Egypt (the Fatimids), should I sail over there and take it, how would that affect my global standing?

16. There are noticeably fewer rebel spawnings. As Egypt with large territories, I believe I like this. I also believe you said this was intentional.

17. In .92a, you have large rebel formations in most of the free regions. They are gone in .92b, was this as intended.

18. There are a few grammatical/spelling errors in the custom historical updates, but they do add a lot more appeal to the game.

19. When completing some diplomacy successfully, I sometimes get a verbal message saying the diplomacy was a failure.

20. Does global standing really go down if I win a battle with an overwhelming force? If so, might I ask why?

As Egypt:
    Turn 2 - I ally with the Turks.

Turn 3 - I capture Amman.

Turn 5 - I open trade with the Byzantines. They offer an alliance, I decline.

Turn 6 - Portugal and the Moors ally.

Turn 14 - I have my little empire. Qahirah (should this be al-Qahirah), Al-Iskandariya (should this be little al), al-Kafuh, Asqalan, Dongola, Jeddah, and Amman (I HIGHLY recommend giving Amman a port at Aqaba, the only port in all of Jordan. Otherwise, although expensive, the best strategic move is to convert Amman into a castle and then to convert Asqalan into a city.)

Turn 17 - Regions gained since start of game: Egypt (me) 4, France 1 on turn 17, Spain 1 on turn 13, Byzantine 1 on turn 17, and the Papacy 1 on turn 17.

Turn 18 - a lone Turkish general is walking next to rebel controlled Edessa. The rebels do not molest him.
    Observation - the cities are generally better defended, but still very lightly so. They tend to have 3 units in them instead of just 1 as in previous editions. There are some AI made forts with powerful stacks of units camped on the borders of their countries, but with little strategic value or purpose (no one is at war). On the other hand, rebel cities tend to have larger defenses the longer they are left unconquered.

Turn 19 - a Moorish general had been standing in Morocco at the land bridge for several turns and finally moved to attack Sevilla coinciding with an historical update regarding this invasion. But he could easily have attacked several turns sooner. Was this a scripted event? If so, does scripting it hold back what other options the Moors may have taken?

Also in turn 19, my relations are so-so with the Byzantines and reasonable with the Sicilians, either one will blockade my port and start a war several times over the next few turns. I reload and they do not re-engage.

Turn 28 - it is now 1094. Other than the port wars mentioned above, not another war has happened anywhere on the globe. Territorial gains stand at: Byzantine +2, France +1, Spain +1, Hungary +1, Papacy +2, Moors +1, and Egypt (myself) +4. France is invading rebel held Iberian towns. No territories have rebelled. I have completed the tour of my empire and placed a total of 63 watchtowers so that I can see rebels in my distant desert areas.

I know much of the watchtower/fort information is hard-coded, but there are some significant disadvantage for the Egyptians and the Russians in this regard due to territory sizes in their areas of influence.

Also, does any one know the 'added' value that watchtowers are suppose to give to trade? Would it be possible to increase the watchtower line-of-site range so that fewer are needed on the big map we use? Or lower their cost?

On a similar topic, I would suggest adding the region of Barca to the west of Egypt and breaking up Libya. With the wide expanse of Libya, the Egyptians are forced to move east and north more so than to the west. Eventually, it is easier for them to take on the Turks and then the Byzantines rather than the Moors. This is somewhat non-historical in nature.

I believe the AI needs to be a bit more aggressive and it still seems a bit slow going. But over all I am enjoying the game. I will keep providing updates as I get them.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; January 14, 2007 at 04:24 AM.

1) The fun is in finding them

2) It's global because if you're a warmonger nation everyone is preoccupied.

3) They better do.

4) as in Vanilla

5) there's much more than in 0.92a to elaborate at start

6) yes, historically correct for 1080

7) we're thinking about it

8) they still are

9) Constantinople doesn't have the landbridge anymore. It spoiled the strategical strength of the city. Lund and other cities are in strategical positions where usually a diplomat can pass and an army can't.

10) what's the problem?

11) there is some variance in some historical events (mainly to prevent exploits from the player )

12) They'd be too far from home. But rosters need to be completed revised anyway in the future.

13) I'll have a look at them

14) no and no

15) the same as you conquer any other rebel town

16) brigands you mean. I get rid of them as I've started to replace them with nastier, scripted, things

17) they're not gone, watch carefully

18) most textes comes from wikipedia, maybe some errors can be happened during the copy-past-merge process of some text

19) I never seen it happen *shrugh*

20) Because you're picking on little ones The system is still VERY experimental, I was changing the values last night just to find the right setting.

Default Re: AD 0.92 - Bugs, suggestions and discussion thread

im curious to know how other factions stand (and what others do about it) in vanilla the only factions below mixed were me the timurids and the mongols. other mods i played were similar. it seems like this has potential for all the factions to end up on the low side of the spectrum

ack i just went back to page one...sorry for intruding on the thread
    Last edited by borschwanger; January 14, 2007 at 05:50 AM.

Playing Spain. Year 1101.

Conquered most of the Iberian peninsula (Barcelona and Portuguese territories to go) Corse and Sardinia, Jerusalem and Amman...

Got a bit surprised that El Cid only attacks Valencia once it is in a faction's hand, the "Iudices" at the Isles were quite cool, and the royal titles are very useful, specially for maintining far-away provinces (Jerusalem) in line...

nobility titles are gone... I miss that... And reading the readme I found the rep system a bit though as far as battle odds are concerned... I think your rep should go up with a heroic and down with a crushinhg, nothing else...

no bugs so far... Rep = very untrustworthy... I just can't be peaceful at the beginning...

Economy seems tougher... that's good... harder to expand... Almoravids are proving a hassle, but after I blockaded the straits I only get small invasions...

Quote Originally Posted by Erioluk View Post
    Got a bit surprised that El Cid only attacks Valencia once it is in a faction's hand, the "Iudices" at the Isles were quite cool, and the royal titles are very useful, specially for maintining far-away provinces (Jerusalem) in line...
    Of course, if Valencia is rebel he just substitutes the old ruler.

nobility titles are gone... I miss that... And reading the readme I found the rep system a bit though as far as battle odds are concerned... I think your rep should go up with a heroic and down with a crushinhg, nothing else...
    As I told this is very experimental, we needed a system to "randomize" things a little more with some base of reality nonetheless.

no bugs so far... Rep = very untrustworthy... I just can't be peaceful at the beginning...
    Economy seems tougher... that's good... harder to expand... Almoravids are proving a hassle, but after I blockaded the straits I only get small invasions...
    With that rep I'd be worried by France not Almoravids

im realy injoying this so far, from what im seeing your turning mtw2 into exactly what i wanted it to be.

playing scots turn year 1125, ive taken all of ireland and jerulisum, the english have erected 3 forts along our border with 1 full stack (proably becuase of my very untrustworty rep)
    i was holding jerulium well with my king but i think my idot son planed a rebelion. first 3 uber heritics surrond the city and start preaching heracy outside my city walls, they converty about 50% of the population, then my king dies mysteriously at the age of 57 leaving his disapointing son in charge of the city, his sond loyalty immeadely drops from 3 to 1 and city loyality goes from 120 to 0. i realy dont want to abandon the city after all the money i invested into it but i dont think i have a choice.

no ctds, havent found any glitches other than that texture one.

i love the region titles.

for some reason there are time periods where the pope will not hire any cardionals, ther was a 20 turn period where there were none at all, then i got one elected 2 turns before the pope died. what would happen if there were none elected and the pope died?

have you fixed the following?

a)Venetian Heavy Infantry and Venetian Archers have their armour upgrades the wrong way round

b)Priests trained in a settlement with a Cathedral automatically become Bishops, but this does not happen with Huge Cathedrals(? Maybe only some priests become Bishops)

c)Ballista towers shooting cannonballs, and cannon towers shooting ballistas

d)all units that have the 2handed animation used by Billmen etc are very ineffective in combat as they do not seem to kill anything.

and, I'm not sure, but I think the roads don't show up in the Burgos province.

have you fixed the following?

a)Venetian Heavy Infantry and Venetian Archers have their armour upgrades the wrong way round

b)Priests trained in a settlement with a Cathedral automatically become Bishops, but this does not happen with Huge Cathedrals(? Maybe only some priests become Bishops)

c)Ballista towers shooting cannonballs, and cannon towers shooting ballistas

d)all units that have the 2handed animation used by Billmen etc are very ineffective in combat as they do not seem to kill anything.
    I suppose Darthmod and Orientis files which are included fix those problems

oh, thanks...

Darthmod's Lite 1.2 fixed the Venetian and Ballista tower bugs...

so there's the bishop's (fixed in some other mod... a mistype, aparently) and the 2-handed animations... I'll fix them both for myself..

EDIT: the huge cathedral bug is also fixed...

so it's just the 2-handed bug...

this is possibly the most flawless mod out (and overall the best). Thank you!
    Last edited by Erioluk; January 14, 2007 at 09:18 AM.

so it's just the 2-handed bug...

this is possibly the most flawless mod out (and overall the best). Thank you!
    Thanks

I suppose Darth Vader is waiting for the next patch before messing with all the 2handed units (I'd do the same as refixing all the changed values is hell).

The Darth mod has a 2-hand fixed incorporated in it. He also adjusted stat values on units as part of this.

If you find that you don't like it, Zxiang also has a fix where all he did was replace some missing animation files in vanilla with the correct ones from the demo version.

Regarding #10, the cities of Murrukash and Morrocco showing on the small campaign map in the beginning of the game. No other cities show up on the smaller campaign map.
    Last edited by Treesmasha; January 14, 2007 at 11:35 AM.

that's strange, given that the mod has no "animation" folder... are you sure 2-hand is fixed?

I have a fix (don't know who made it) that works perfectly...

oh, Toledo, definitely doesn't have roads.

I don't know the details, but on the 10/1/06 update to the Darth mod, he "balanced" the 2-handed units. I don't believe he did it through animation changes, but through stat changes.

Zxiang's mod was through animation changes.

that's the one I got...

oh, Toledo, definitely doesn't have roads.
    I'm seeing them in this very moment

hello guys,

Playing with sicily (version 0.92). Great fun.
    Little bugs until a crash during rebel turn and again and again when i load the saved game. but may be you fixed that one.

The little bugs i spoke of :
    1/ my troops, leading by a général win a battle. Nonetheless i got surprisingly a "man of the hour" which is created in a very distant city on a island.
    2/ after building road in callari, i had to build it again.

Thanks for your work. going to download 0.92b.

one more thing... I held for 6 turns both Corse and Sardinia and didn't get the title... also didn't get the Aragonese title, and the French never held Valencia, so their king can't have it...

one more thing... I held for 6 turns both Corse and Sardinia and didn't get the title... also didn't get the Aragonese title, and the French never held Valencia, so their king can't have it...
    For the Aragonese Title you need to own Barcelona and Zaragoza, not Valencia.

About the Sardinia one I just checked the trigger and it is correct, did you get the islands from someone else? Because it's not 5 or 50 years that makes a difference but if the king is dead or not.

Anyway the absence of a lot of angered posts here make me suppose the test campaigns are going well.

If this isn't just an impression of mine I'll release the version in the next weekend to the public.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; January 15, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

i havent found any problems, played to the year 1185
    back on campus now so i want have access to my pc till the weekend.

im curious how to get a beter reputation, i didnt take over any setelments for 30 years, gave donations of wealth to the french, english, and germans so their all on good terms with me and my rep hasn't gone up at all.

I had one CTD... (recoverable) (but I'm using a crack, so I am not quick to blame the mod)

My heir got the Aragonese title... I had Zaragoza as well anyway... Now I assassinated what was left of the portuguese family and captured their 2 provinces. No title either... Will probably show up once the current king dies...

Distance from capital is predictably annoying (though sadly, realistic). Not having much trouble with the Holy Land (6 provinces there)... But after I moved capital from Toledo to Valencia, LISBON started rebelling... it's right next to it... can't really understand...

And I assure you, I have no sign of roads in toledo... can post a screen if you want...

dunno how "modable" growth rates are... But I already have a citadel in the 12th Century... maybe you could set time triggers for unit better units and buildings...
    Last edited by Erioluk; January 15, 2007 at 01:49 PM.