Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: AD: Bugs Thread

Default Re: AD 0.92 - Bugs, suggestions and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Treesmasha View Post
    Regarding the CTD: I was using Orientiss's mod in AD.91 just fine. You mentioned you made a slight correction/change to it. You might look there first. Just a thought.
    It's not that one, believe me. You can see the change I made on Orientis own thread as he posted it for his users.

Regarding victory conditions I agree on you on everything. MTW2 basic victory conditions are silly at best. For example my usual gameplay style is to develop my regions the best I can, I try to aim to "quality" instead than "quantity".

We gladly accept suggestions on them and we'll try to change them, problems are just the hardcoded limits of the engine of course.

First thing we achieved is that with the inclusion of the "capitol" region of every faction in, the AI seems to protect them a little better at least but the actual ones are FAR from the definitive thing.

@Munkpetersen

Yes it will be public when CTDs will happen no more and the gameplay will be a little more stabilized.

Then i will wait before starting a new campaign

Looking very much to an even better version of your mod than before.

I definitely play in much the same way, regarding quality not quantity. But I usually do try to conquer a few regions in my early game. If I play with England, I won't wait til the birth of Edward I to subjugate Wales, or if playing as Scotland, 200 years to subjugate Galloway.

I understand what you mean now though, about the rebels representing smaller principalities, which makes alot more sense. Though, what about examples such as Napoli rebelling against the Byzantines in my game as Sicily and then my reputation becoming untrustworthy after I capture it?

A good idea, and this is something I've seen with another mod, might be to change the faction name of the rebels, to "Independents" or some such, which would be less confusing, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri Zhivago View Post
    A good idea, and this is something I've seen with another mod, might be to change the faction name of the rebels, to "Independents" or some such, which would be less confusing, perhaps.
    Hmmm... "Lesser Factions" could do the trick?

That's got the right ring to it.

I am in year 1100 in my Hungary campaign. No CTD. I took 3 rebel settlement, reputation go down. I did allied with HRE im first turn.
    Turks are in alliance with Pope and some other catholics (sicilians, i think).
    There was jihad to Constantinople. When egiptians army came to almost empty city (only two or tree units inside), i was little bit sceptical. But then from nicea came two full stack of bisantines and made it short. Great.
    When I went crusade to urshalim, in one mountain pass crossed me turkish army with two stacks turkish. They don“t seems passive.
    Rebels took my capital, I mus reconquered it. Make this reputation decrase..?
    Robels seems, by me, more active as in 0.91.

Can Hungary have much resources, probabli in northern and eastern regions?

rebels are passive against AI factions and slightly more active against the player. But we're improving them

I got a CTD now in my Hungary campaign, in Bisantines turn, in 1099/1100. When reload, still the same CTD.

Can it have something with this events from log?

06:47:06.500 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/047.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    06:47:06.500 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/047.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    Last edited by vladyka jan; January 11, 2007 at 12:04 AM.

Unluckily that's not the problem, but the new version at least doesn't have unrecoverable CTDs (alas the savegames usually continues without problems).

This is the problem when you're messing with names and we changed ALL the names for ALL the factions (except Mongols and Timurids which were the only not ridicolous).

To be honest there are lot of weird names for Rus'. I think later I will give you a list of names that should be ermoved.

Default Reaching turn 100 with the frenchies

Immediately when beginning the play with France, i sent all available troops to take Bruges, which was afterwards my main money provider. At the same time, my princess could seduce the english general in Rouen, leaving that town almost defenseless. I took it (that was my only agression without being attacked before) and installed a fort at the end ot the Eurotunnel (the "bridge" crossing the Channel). Locked in their island, the brits were inefficient to developp, all the more most of their settlements were forts. Maybe those enable troops recruitment, but they are of no use without producing money. A few years later, after subjugating the neighbouring rebel places, invading England was a piece of cake. I immediately turned most of these forts to towns.

At first i agreed to capture that brit general by seduction, but later found less nice to see such treasons by so many of my generals. They are lots of more or less lovely princesses chasing all around the map. Generals are numerous, but their loyalty if often very small.

Another surprise was to discover so many ambushed rebel troops. I wonder if those are also reducing the traffic on the neighbouring roads, and then how to detect them without permanently exploring each corner of the map.

One of those hiden bandits was El Cid, who destroyed a somewhat weak army i sent to take poorly defended Valencia. I sent by sea another force which grabed the fort, which was then sieged by El Cid. But he did not attack, perhaps because his army was not fitted for that, being mostly made with missile launchers. He was finally crush by a rescue army of mine.

Germans and Moors attacked me, firstly with ridiculousy small forces, then with larger armies. After completely slaugering those, i quickly took some of their places, until faced with threads from the Pope or strong unrests in moslem settlements. I was forced to wait and let my ennemies time to rebuild their forces till they attacked me again. Battle, routing, seizing of a couple of places and another obligation for waiting a while, and the same again...

After being forced to rout and to loose places without anymore valid forces, Germans and Moors both used to ask for ceasefires. But both negociated as if they were victorious, demanding heavy tributes and refusing even to draw the game. Maybe IA needs a more accurate balance here.

With the new shape of the game, i find that the calculation of the ransoms for prisoners is no more fitted. It is now far too low, far away of the real price of those soldiers who thus would be immediately returned into action.

In my game a german crusade sized Jerusalem on 1094 (turn 30) and lost it by revolt in 1102 (turn 44). IRL the crusade led by frenchmen took the town in 1099 and Saladin retook it in 1187. Antioch was taken by Milanese in 1121 (turn 84) and surprisingly abandonned by them in 1128 (turn 98).

I found all families very inactive. Except of those attacks against me, 3 crusades and around as many jihads, only a small number of conflicts arose during the first decades of the play. Most ended quickly without real winner. There was no more wars after around 40 turns (20 years). Many rebel settlements remain untouched (larger part of Italy, east half of north africa and Lybia, Arabia, Kazakstan...).

But now on turn 100 it seems that some families wake up! I just received 2 notes about new conflicts. Let's see how they will turn...

Three times House of Estriddsssen gave me some money "as a proof of goodwill by the England." But they declined my offer for an alliance. :hmmm:

Germans began with a very large empire. They seems to get huge incomes, even after loosing half of their places. Yet those places were not so highly developped when i took them.

I never suffer any computer issue until now.

At the present time, i find that new way to play more enjoyable as expected. Some points still need adjustments, firsly the aggressiveness of IA (but if HRE is allowed to be more aggressiv, its power must be accordingly lowered, otherwise it would quickly destroy the whole world).

I consider that the author of such a big work (and those who help it) deserves a large encouragement and a warm thanks for the pleasure he gives to all of us.
    Last edited by Resdulac; January 12, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Just a small remark about the names of german and french merchants:

In the present version of Anno Domini, many of those merchants bear names with the particle "von" or "de".

Yet IRL this particle pointed out noblemen. And before the XIX° century, noblemen in Germany and France were not allowed to act as merchants.

Thus no merchant of those countries could bear such a particle.

Quote Originally Posted by Resdulac View Post
    Generals are numerous, but their loyalty if often very small.
    Welcome in middle-age times mate

Just a small remark about the names of german and french merchants:

In the present version of Anno Domini, many of those merchants bear names with the particle "von" or "de".

Yet IRL this particle pointed out noblemen. And before the XIX° century, noblemen in Germany and France were not allowed to act as merchants.

Thus no merchant of those countries could bear such a particle.
    Nothing we can do about it as the names are just in a common list for every faction. Just use your imagination and think that actually the merchant you meet is the "lackey" of a noble wanting to raise money for his army (not so far from real actually).

Anyway it seems your campaign is enjoyable, we're well aware the new system needs some more balancing and we hope the royal titles we're working on will help us to achieve it.

About the ransom we'll look into it (it's not one of the priority in the list though) but you can also think that killing the prisoners would decrease your standing in a very dangerous way. Maybe you can release them as a real chivalrous knight would do .

Btw, Milan probably didn't abandon Jerusalem, more probable they were "expelled" by a rebellion. Anyway we're changin victory conditions to see if we can push the AI to defend some settlements in a smarter way.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; January 12, 2007 at 10:03 AM.

I'll post my story as well, as I seem to be having the same enjoyable experience as Resdulac. As the Scots, I quickly sent out hired help (diplomats ) and got buddy-buddy with Capet and Estriddsssen . I sent my amazing Scots around Ireland, conquering as I went but there's quite a few 'heroic battle' markers around that isle now (Thanks to the new rebels wandering ). I noticed that there is some conflict around the Iberian peninsula, which makes me excited for later on.

After a while, the Pope called a crusade against Jersusalem (forgot the new name). I marched my troops off (but sacked Burges along the way, which made my rep as low as it could go) and then continued on to my destination.

While I was marching towards the Middle East, my troops finished the conquest of Ireland and I also managed to kill off a particularly annoying merchant from Capet. The guy kept on taking my silver in Ireland, so I boxed him in with the shore on one side, and mercenaries and such on the other...then I moved in and he couldn't go anywhere, so he died. Exploit, perhaps, but it was funny

I sacked Jerusalem after a hard fight and then had a huge army of all mercenaries plus my full stack of Scots (I saved up for this moment), so I went up to Acre (Akka?) and south to Gaza.

Then I did the dumbest thing ever, and accidentally deleted the mod (thought it was DLV in my sleep-deprived state)

I'm too disheartened to start again, so I'll wait for the next release. But I had great fun, no CTD's to speak of.

On a sidenote, in the future with releases, are you going to put the sound files in the final version? (So Scots sound like Scots etc). I'd do it myself but can't figure out how to.

Great work, I'm really enjoying it!

The sound files would take a CD-size download... you just have to copy the vanilla ones in the AD folder.

After the 1.0 version anyway we won't use the mod dir but a direct overwrite of the vanilla dir so this won't be a problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    Btw, Milan probably didn't abandon Jerusalem, more probable they were "expelled" by a rebellion.
    I checked this point with my savegames. I had a spy in that town. Most of the Milanese army left Antiochus without any threat around. They went to the ford of the nearby river and stood here. Only a general and a unit of lancers stayed in the town. Evidently riots burst in next turn.

Milanese never had any priest or church here. I have seen in the towns i conquered in Morocco that to bring peace in placees peviously held by moslems its essential to quicly send some priests and to build a chapel.
    Maybe you can release them [the prisoners] as a real chivalrous knight would do .
    IRL, real prisoners were unarmed, sweared to stay neutral for a while and were released in a friendly place distant from the field of battle. Usualy they were freed after some time, only when their victor found they are no more a threat. In a parallel way, time needed to collect the ransom was left to the families of the prisoners.

In M2TW, if ranson cant be payed immediately, prisoners are killed. But if the ransom is payed, they return immediately to the fight and reinforce the closest hostile army. I find its not fair.

I checked this point with my savegames. I had a spy in that town. Most of the Milanese army left Antiochus without any threat around. They went to the ford of the nearby river and stood here. Only a general and a unit of lancers stayed in the town. Evidently riots burst in next turn.
    Not the smartest move by AI but it does have a sense with the commands I gave. Unluckily they cannot take in account ALL the factors, but I always hated when AI stayed garrisoned in towns ready to be happily slaughtered.

So far so good, love this mod,
    im playing as scotland, year 1100, ive taken over 1/3rd of ireland, english have taken over southren england and now there playing sadistic mind games with me. they have marched a full stack up to edenboro and are now up and down my boarder not actualy going across my boarder.

i know the second i move my tropps they will pouce on me, so at the moment were at a stale mate, i cant raize another army due to funding, and neither can england. Im hoping the french do something but english seam to have their castle on the main land well garasioned.

ive been watching the turks throw a jehad on this town and they have been launching assult after assult with 2 generals only, widdleing down the town little bit by little bit for the past 20 turns.

love the new historical events.
    no ctds at all

only possible glitch ive noticed so far is i recruited some mounted sergants in france on the way to jerolsuim on a crusade and the icon and picture for them is that of peasents.

Quote Originally Posted by Alatar98 View Post
    only possible glitch ive noticed so far is i recruited some mounted sergants in france on the way to jerolsuim on a crusade and the icon and picture for them is that of peasents.
    CA put mounted sergeants in the rebel (and mercenary conseguently) roster but they forgot to make their unit cards.

We'll fix it when we'll put under revision all the rosters.

they also appearently dont have a scotish texture when on the battle field. unless their suspose to look like t1000's