Thread: Will overclocking my modern computer be beneficial with Europa Barbarorum II?

20886432's Avatar Laetus

Icon5 Will overclocking my modern computer be beneficial with Europa Barbarorum II?

I am wondering if my hardware is too modern for overclocking to provide a benefit with this game.

My system uses: OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit ; GPU - GeForce GTX 780 (vanilla) ; CPU - Intel Core i5-4440 @3.10 GHz (x4) ; RAM - 16 GBs DDR3 ; Storage - SSD 238GB ; Display - 27" IPS 1440P Quad HD. (I use the Steam version incase that matters.)

Default Re: Will overclocking my modern computer be beneficial with Europa Barbarorum II?

3GHz is plenty (multiple cores are irrelevant, as an old game it only uses a single one). The problem is memory, by default the game only uses 2GB of RAM, regardless of how much you actually have.

Default Re: Will overclocking my modern computer be beneficial with Europa Barbarorum II?

Yes, it is always good to OC CPU, turns will take a few seconds less. But the game runs on a single core so if you overclock your quad CPU effect will be 4x smaller as in other modern games running on multicore CPUs.

GPU - depends if you use graphics enhancements or if you disabled 2d sprites on the battle units (when the unit is far away), I don't think you will see any benefits from overclocking in the vanilla game on your GPU.

OC'd my i5 3570k which runs at stock 3,4ghz to 4,2ghz and i think game runs smoother in bigger fights with like 3k vs 5k in taxing enviroments. I just had to upgrade intel stock cooler first to this Hyper 212 EVO.

Besides that, id recommend looking into large address aware type of software to unlock more than just 2gb as mentioned above, it has legal rammifications due tinkering with .exe or something, so make up your own mind on that, but the benefits are worth it. It is very fast and easy process to do.

Then if you also want to add bit of eyecandy, which mostly taxes just GPU, id recommend checking these two out:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15370851
    (i also added bit of sharpening besides those, and adjusted the values to please my eye)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-draw-distance

Did both of those and game looks now considerably prettier up close. If you want examples check screenshot topic as i have recently uploaded pics there with those on.