Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chapter Four: Prophecies and Potions (1973)

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Chapter Four: Prophecies and Potions (1973)

Glenn held Penelope as long as she needed, her face buried in his arm as her body shook. At least she was allowing herself to cry now. He did not want to think of what would happen if she tried to control her emotions this time. When she had composed herself and pulled away, he let her, and when she walked briskly out of the room he did not follow. He knew better than that. Instead, he watched her go for a moment, hoping that she could somehow find it within her to move past such a tragedy, then he strode away again, briefly stopping to inform Mathis, as one of his closest friends in the Ministry, of his intended destination and why he would need some time.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glenn returned to the Ministry late in day the evening after his first meeting with the wolf in his uncle's cabin in the woods. He had finally eaten, digging into a steak which he took much rarer than we would once have preferred, but regardless still looked weak and haunted as he flushed himself in and swept through the halls, quickly to the more adept potions masters, who he had taken a sample of liquid to several days before. He stopped the first man he saw. "Any progress on that drop?" he asked, in a deep if somewhat breathless and hurried tone. They would know what he meant, it was hard to forget him, or what the most pressing challenge facing the Ministry at this moment was.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    With a flick of his wand they each fold into small paper air planes and speed off to find their intended recipients. With that Mathis heads back towards the office himself and gathers getting ready to meet with the rest of the team. They begin to trickle in one at a time, until everyone, but Penelope was there. He would need to speak to her privately, maybe she needed some time off.

"We have lead on this investigation," he began once they had all gathered, "However we will no longer be working in the Ministry, we need to find a place off site to base our investigation. I want to employee a Fidlious Charm that I am secret keeper of to keep the location secure. The ministry isn't secure anymore we need somewhere else to keep anyone else from interfering with the evidence."
    Selma listened to Mathis' briefting while she smoked a cigarette, a common habit of the Aurors of those times.

"And what's the evidence? Do we even know what they stole? What can be so important that they broke into the Ministry and got rid of any witnesses?"

Kunstler suspected there was a mole within the ranks of the Aurors. Firstly the ambush at Tutshill and now this. It couldn't be a coincidence.

OOC: I'll retcon Glenn's departure for his trip to the woods to after this discussion - he'll tell both Mathis and Penelope what his plans are when the meeting concludes

Glenn turned to the newest member of the team. "A prophecy from about 40 years ago, concerning a certain Gellert Grindelwald," he said, "at least according to the Curator I spoke to." He offered a slight shrug, "As for why it might be so important, that's our job to figure out."

Some time later, a Ministry Potion Analyzer returned the results from the liquid spilled on the floor:it was polyjuice potion.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

A man came in, "The sample found was polyjuice potion."

Mathis considers this, "So someone must of used Polyjuice to trick the enchantments into thing they were Grindwald." Mathis begins pausing to look at the others, "The old wizard must have had a few uninvited guests recently, because last I heard he was till securely locked away. Someone should go an visit the old Wizard and find out."

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Thinking it over now Edmund replied "Grindewald is a slippery old devil, I remember the stories my father has told from when he headed the Auror Department. I volunteer for this assignment, I would like the chance to see the man that caused so much destruction. Additionally I believe my father may be able to shed some light on how to deal with him."

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Glenn drummed his hands on the table anxiously, he felt restless, needed to move, but some questions were still unanswered. "Would Polyjuice potion really be enough to trick the enchantments on the prophecy? And what about once it wore off? Is there any way to know for certain the guise taken was that of Grindlewald?" His mind was racing, he was not within his area of expertise when it came to potions, but it seemed far-fetched to think that it would work as such, as well as quite a jump to merely assume Grindelwald's was the guise taken. Yet, what Mathis said did make sense - if the intruders were willing to simply murder everyone who got in their way, what other use would they have had for polyjuice potion? They had clearly not disguised themselves to try and sneak past Ministry defenses. In addition to these concerns, Glenn had his own problem to deal with. The full moon was not too far away, even if he hadn't checked a calendar, he could... feel it. He realized his discomfort was showing on his face, and quickly reigned it in.

"That will be easy enough, seeing as he's still locked away in prison." Penelope added. "Be careful, Edmund. In the meantime what are the rest of us to do? The whole thing seems like a bloody goose chase." She felt tired, but strangely determined to persist. "We ought to interview the night guards as well. That might shed more light on things. After all, it isn't as if we had no personnel on duty."

Mathis nods, "Selma accompany Edmund, even if it is an easy task I want two people on it." He felt it was safer that way. "As for the rest we need to find a new location to base out of, and we need to interveiw security. Anyone got a roster of who was on duty? Cleaning staff as well they might have seen something." He wasn't sure of that it felt sloppy, and whoever had done this did not seem sloppy.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

"Have you all considered the possibility that the Deatheaters may have infiltrated the Ministry?" Selma said, in a quiet, worried, voice. "How do we know that everyone working here can be trusted?"

Selma gave voice to somthing that had worried him as well. It was part of why he wanted a base outside the ministry building, "It is possible. I don't want anyone moving on their own until we have a safe place." The other possibility was somehow worse the death eaters had shown no hesitation using the unforgivable curses, and some in the ministry could be under those effects.

Penelope ran through the options in her head. There were plenty of old, abandoned locations they could use to set up as a headquarters. "That sounds...doable." Penelope said at last. "There is no doubt the Ministry has been infiltrated. No sign of forced entry and they were able to steal at will. It is a woeful lack of security."

ooc:

The Grindewald interview should probably advance in its own thread so I can moderate it. In the meantime, Mathis can interview some security wizards (Jasper, Fred, Learned respectively) and Penelope will go searching for a location to use with Glenn or Glenn can help interview wizards..

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Taking a scratch of paper from a nearby table, Edmund writes out an address and hands it to Selma.

8 Downing St
    Westminster, London

"Mathis is right that the ministry isn't safe anymore, meet me at this address in the morning, we can take an international portkey to Germany, and from there to Nurmengard." Looking back to the group now "Now if that is all, I have to pay a visit to my father."

As and afterthought Edmund looks to Penelope "You might want to look at Devon and Cornwall, the Druids build fortifications in the caves there that are... quite impressive."

With that he departs for the day.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

With everything settled Mathis pauses before going to interview the security officers himself. "Everyone stay safe. These people have already shown they have no qualms killing aurors." Mathis leaves to go speak to Jasper one of the Wizards on duty that night.

Penelope paused, and wearily headed for the door...

Glenn looked about the room briefly and then caught up to Penelope. "Not too long now until the full moon," he commented quietly as they swept out of the room. As they continued down the hall, he continued to elaborate about a cabin he knew of, and what he felt compelled to do.

Penelope nodded darkly, understanding. "Well then I will make some arrangements." She replied. "Take your medicine, and we will hope for the best." Everything she had been told about this condition informed her that the first few months were always the worst, even the first few years. The cycles became more regular, less intense, and more manageable, but they would never fully stop. There was no cure, only ways to manage the symptoms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12