Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Time is Now for LOTR Total war

Default The Time is Now for LOTR Total war

"Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir of J.R.R. Tolkien, resigned from the Tolkien Estate. And his departure changes everything.....With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin,”

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Christopher Tolkien has retired and the rights of the Tolkien estate are up for grabs. Perfect time for CA to make a Lord of the Rings total war. Or, to work with Warner Bros to make a LOTR total war. They have worked together before.

SEGA PARTNERS WITH WARNER BROS.
    https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/sega-partners-warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-co-publish-“-matrix-online”

Why Lord of the Rings Total war?

Tolkien carries the largest fantasy fan base of all time only expanded by the movies that could be brought into the total war series. A match made in haven. As someone who has not played a total war game since empire, this would get me back into total war. Lord of the Rings is the best selling fantasy book of all time. The Hobbit is the third best fantasy seller. Besides the Bible, LOTR is the third best selling book of all time, the Hobbit is 8th on the all time list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-selling_books
    https://jamesclear.com/best-books/best-selling

The world created by Tolkien would fit perfect for the next fantasy total war game. Lord of the Rings provides what Total war needs.

- Large fan base already present
    - Multiple diverse factions with both challenges and bonuses for each
    - Hugh map of Middle Earth with diverse terrain and battle maps
    - Large numbers of diverse units and forces for epic battles
    - Large castles for epic siege battles
    - Hero's of legend with special abilities
    -Agents, spies, assassins, diplomats etc
    - Battle over land, sea and air
    - Economy and trade
    -Exspansions and DLC could be done on the first and second ages

It is not surprising that the most awarded, most downloaded , mod ever made for a total war game is the third age mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Age-Total-War

It shows the poetical for what a CA done Lord of the Rings total war would be, it would simply be the "One game to rule them all"

However there is an irrefutable reason CA needs to make middle earth total war. Tolkien was from England, CA is based in England. Tolkien made LOTR so England could have its own fantasy [like the Norse epics]. Therefore , out of sheer duty and patriotism, CA must know make the video game for England. Or else CA have no right to be called Brits.

contact Games Workshop let them know you want the game to happen.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Contact-Us
    Last edited by twc01; April 04, 2018 at 03:23 PM.
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.”
    Malcolm maggeridge

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: The Time is Now for LOTR Total war

As long as TW: Warhammer lives there won't be a LOTR: Total War

CA took an already big departure from their style by going full fantasy with Warhammer, the next entries have to be Historical by default.

If LOTR: Total War ever becomes a reality (Which i highly doubt will ever happen) we won't be seeing it for at least another 3 years or so. Christopher's stubborn and close minded policies only died recently. There is a lot of Pre-Production, Conceptual and Elaboration work to be done before starting to work in definitive assets.

IMHO C.A. just have to release a game with deeper -and better- Modding options and resources... like Bannerlord.

Give us an almost-fully moddable new generation engine to work with and the fans will do the rest haha
    Last edited by Maenor; January 20, 2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenor View Post
    As long as TW: Warhammer lives there won't be a LOTR: Total War

CA took an already big departure from their style by going full fantasy with Warhammer, the next entries have to be Historical by default.

If LOTR: Total War ever becomes a reality (Which i highly doubt will ever happen) we won't be seeing it for at least another 3 years or so. Christopher's stubborn and close minded policies only died recently. There is a lot of Pre-Production, Conceptual and Elaboration work to be done before starting to work in definitive assets.

IMHO C.A. just have to release a game with deeper -and better- Modding options and resources... like Bannerlord.

Give us an almost-fully moddable new generation engine to work with and the fans will do the rest haha

CA is doing only one more warhammer as i understand it and if like the last, more of an expansion it only took one year to produce the last if i am correct. But they always start development of the next game while working on the current. Yes historical was just announced, but that is a separate team than fantasy. I agree on the modding aspect. I also would agree the game would take time, but i say lets get it started. Its a win win from my perspective for us and for ca.
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.”
    Malcolm maggeridge

Quote Originally Posted by Maenor View Post
    IIRC Warhammer was their original plan though, so fantasy isn't necessarily something they'd shy away from.
    I think the problems lie elsewhere:
    1) How to position themselves vis-à-vis the movie trilogy - use its designs and other content? That means brand recognition, but also additional royalties to be paid to the people behind the films. Or come up with an independent design? That's pretty difficult and touches upon the second issue.
    2) How to position themselves to the already existing Tolkien-themed TW mods such as this one, since these mods have come up with great concepts around the TW game mechanics that would be difficult not to copy or imitate in some way. Again, a problem of credit.
    3) Which age of Middle-earth to settle on? The best option would be a set of campaigns à la Medieval II Kingdoms, IMO.

I'd rather have both. A LotR-based TW game with lots of modding potential. Preferably with some of the people behind the existing Tolkien-themed mods on board.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Only have something to add to the point 2: From a legal perspective the EULA had modders to agree that they don't have a claim to copyrights over their own work, that claim would belong to the publisher SEGA. A modder would not need to be given a dime if the game developers wanted to use their work in the game. But yeah, copycat developers probably would not go unnoticed; if they just made it plain obvious that they have copied much what their fan community have worked on hard over the years, well, it damn sure gives bad vibes over the community and leaves a stigma of bad public image to be dealt with.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Hmm, do you honestly think vanilla LOTR:TW can be even close to standards set by TA:TW?

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Honestly, new total wars are utter . The perfect game would be TA / DAC with some better graphics and QOL changes. But the new engine is really bad
    The words of a banished king "I swear revenge"
    Filled with anger aflamed our hearts
    Full of hate full of pride
    We screamed for revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Æsir View Post
    Hmm, do you honestly think vanilla LOTR:TW can be even close to standards set by TA:TW?
    The best would be for tatw to mod the newer twlotr vanilla.
    Malcolm maggeridge

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Only have something to add to the point 2: From a legal perspective the EULA had modders to agree that they don't have a claim to copyrights over their own work, that claim would belong to the publisher SEGA. A modder would not need to be given a dime if the game developers wanted to use their work in the game. But yeah, copycat developers probably would not go unnoticed; if they just made it plain obvious that they have copied much what their fan community have worked on hard over the years, well, it damn sure gives bad vibes over the community and leaves a stigma of bad public image to be dealt with.
    Thanks for clearing that up. IMO some of the content of the existing mods is too good not to use. Maybe if they explicitly credited the mod teams, it'd be recognition enough for many modders.

There are some key areas where a newer engine could improve on the M2TW engine. Aside from the graphical bling and other stuff usually associated with progress, I'm thinking about
    a) functional secondary or even tertiary melee weapon sets (so you can have realistic pikemen, and also elite cavalry with appropriate weapons for different occasions, e.g. lance/sword/mace)
    b) flying units (already implemented in Warhammer TW)
    c) a better AI on all fronts
    d) an expansion of the damn province limit, regardless of how provinces are defined (this concerns TATW less than it does historical realism mods, but still...)
    e) an expansion of limits for building trees etc.
    f) custom-made settlements for key locations that will take less effort to mod (should one find issue with the vanilla version)

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. IMO some of the content of the existing mods is too good not to use. Maybe if they explicitly credited the mod teams, it'd be recognition enough for many modders.

There are some key areas where a newer engine could improve on the M2TW engine. Aside from the graphical bling and other stuff usually associated with progress, I'm thinking about
    a) functional secondary or even tertiary melee weapon sets (so you can have realistic pikemen, and also elite cavalry with appropriate weapons for different occasions, e.g. lance/sword/mace)
    b) flying units (already implemented in Warhammer TW)
    c) a better AI on all fronts
    d) an expansion of the damn province limit, regardless of how provinces are defined (this concerns TATW less than it does historical realism mods, but still...)
    e) an expansion of limits for building trees etc.
    f) custom-made settlements for key locations that will take less effort to mod (should one find issue with the vanilla version)

etc.
    Off the top of my head I would add campaign multiplayer [ i would buy for this reason alone] . Hotseat mode. Pathfinder issues solved. the ability to have various unit engage like ents vs trolls and oliphants. Females like galadrial. upgrade graphics and a wider audience. Use of the palatir. Heroes special abilities on battle and campaign map. More units and more in depth campaign map [maybe old Forrest and tom bombidil? and from ca's perspective, a hell of allot of money.
    Malcolm maggeridge

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

do you think vanilla LOTR:TW can be close to standards set by TA:TW?
    What's important is that at last they release a game at least as modable than Med2TW. But it's impossible as CA wants to sell DLCs.
    We're doomed to old Med2.

My dream is a Medieval 3 TotalWar released at GOG', fully modded here or at NexusMod'.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Games Workshop, owner of the rights of Warhammer Fantasy and WH40k, already has a wonderful tabletop game for the Lord of the Rings, the 25 mm range of minatures they produce is AWESOME, and I see no actual reason for which CA/SEGA should not produce a PC game based on the work already done by Games Workshop with Tolkien's masterpiece. All in all, they are all Britons, they just need to find an agreement between them (IMO they already have it)!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Games Workshop, owner of the rights of Warhammer Fantasy and WH40k, already has a wonderful tabletop game for the Lord of the Rings, the 25 mm range of minatures they produce is AWESOME, and I see no actual reason for which CA/SEGA should not produce a PC game based on the work already done by Games Workshop with Tolkien's masterpiece. All in all, they are all Britons, they just need to find an agreement between them (IMO they already have it)!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

looks cool.
    Malcolm maggeridge

Here is their contact info for CA, send an email tell them we want lotr.

https://www.creative-assembly.com/contact
    Malcolm maggeridge

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't know, I actually love M2TW battles. My last TW game was Attila because I don't care about Warhammer, but battles in Attile are quite bad compared to M2TW. I don't even know why, but something makes the battles feel strange and uninteresting ever since Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    I don't know, I actually love M2TW battles. My last TW game was Attila because I don't care about Warhammer, but battles in Attile are quite bad compared to M2TW. I don't even know why, but something makes the battles feel strange and uninteresting ever since Shogun 2.

I agree, its since empire imo, battles are to fast and not based on strategy.

I know, why not ca hire the modders from third age to lead the new ca lotr game? well we are allowed to dream aren't we?

For future reference: Please edit your first post, instead of posting twice within the same minute
    Last edited by Veteraan; January 23, 2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Malcolm maggeridge

Money rules and if there is money in it for CA and Sega i am sure they will look at the prospect of LOTR TW, Be nice if it comes off but third age has already done a fantastic job.Only the engines limitations stop it being better

Exspansions and DLC could be done on the first and second ages
    Malcolm maggeridge

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Tolkien was from South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Hengest View Post
    Tolkien was from South Africa.

lol correct you are. But he moved while very young and considered himself a brit. That is what we all remember him for/as. His english father was stationed in s africa and died so his family moved back.
    Malcolm maggeridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast