Thread: This mod is really good

Decanus

Default This mod is really good

Just felt the need to come here and say that. I mostly play Divide et Impera or Europa Barbarorum 2 as my main focus is Macedonian pike phalanxes and shock cavalry. However, on a whim I decided to find a historical mod for Wrath of Sparta (no way was I sticking with Vanilla, yuck) and try out the Peloponnesian War. Found this mod, looked at the previews and manual and..........wow, there is a lot, lot of great work here.

I'm slowly working my way through the first few turns of an Athenai campaign and it's really fascinating. The diplomacy has me cautious. The unit caps have me cautious. The awesome naval improvements do allow me to feel bold on occasion, however. So far it's a really great experience.

That's all really. Keep up the good work. Glad I was able to find this mod without too much trouble.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: This mod is really good

It's actually the best mod for this time period. Devs are great too and you could clearly see the fruits of their passion and time invested on this from the first turns.

Decanus

I had my first big field battle against the Spartan full stack that spawns via script. For a game universe where there are only hoplites, no swords, no falxes (have yet to fight Thracians......), no shock cavalry or catatanks, and relatively limited missile options.............that combat was surprisingly dynamic. I expected the hoplite-on-hoplite action to be boring, but it really wasn't. I did bring a decent amount of light troops and cavalry to keep myself awake, but it was clever use of the hoplite abilities that pulled me through against those nasty Spartans.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Geffalrus View Post
    I had my first big field battle against the Spartan full stack that spawns via script. For a game universe where there are only hoplites, no swords, no falxes (have yet to fight Thracians......), no shock cavalry or catatanks, and relatively limited missile options.............that combat was surprisingly dynamic. I expected the hoplite-on-hoplite action to be boring, but it really wasn't. I did bring a decent amount of light troops and cavalry to keep myself awake, but it was clever use of the hoplite abilities that pulled me through against those nasty Spartans.
    You intrigued me to continue my Corinthian campaign with Hellenika.

Quote Originally Posted by Geffalrus View Post
    Just felt the need to come here and say that. I mostly play Divide et Impera or Europa Barbarorum 2 as my main focus is Macedonian pike phalanxes and shock cavalry. However, on a whim I decided to find a historical mod for Wrath of Sparta (no way was I sticking with Vanilla, yuck) and try out the Peloponnesian War. Found this mod, looked at the previews and manual and..........wow, there is a lot, lot of great work here.

I'm slowly working my way through the first few turns of an Athenai campaign and it's really fascinating. The diplomacy has me cautious. The unit caps have me cautious. The awesome naval improvements do allow me to feel bold on occasion, however. So far it's a really great experience.

That's all really. Keep up the good work. Glad I was able to find this mod without too much trouble.
    If you ask me this is the best mod for Rome 2 overall.
    If ONLY we could edit the map and add Sicily and Southern Italy [emoji22]

You outlined many aspects about what makes this mod so great. It forces you to play differently from any other TW game.

Most TW games are a slow start but once you survive and build up...you steam roll everything.

Hellenika campaign gets harder.
    I try not to lose ANY unique caps but its not so easy especially the heavy cavalry

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Decanus

Honestly, I'd kind of like to see this map and mod translated into the War of the Diadochi period. I love this scenario, and the map is pretty well balanced. My only limitation at the moment is that my personal preference is to play Athens and maybe Thebes.......not so much Corinth, Sparta, or Persia. That's just my personal feelings in general, nothing to do with the mod.

I've always been a big fan of the Diadochi period, and I think that setting could pair decently well with a lot of what the team did here. Playable factions could be fairly diverse, theoretically. Young Pyrrhus in Epirus, Demetrius the Besieger, Sparta, Cassander in Macedon proper, Lysimachus in Thrace, maybe an allied (with Demetrius) Antigonus the One Eyed faction in the Asia Minor area, Rhodes, and then perhaps the Aetolian and Achaean Leagues as playable factions (something only possible in RTR 7, I believe).

It's just an idea. I'm no modder, and I have little time. But that's what I'd put on my wish list........

Guys first of all thanks for your remarks.
    I had many dreams for more mods on this map. Macedonian dominance, Spartan revolt during Alexander's quest in the east, Macedonian wars much later etc..
    Unfortunately life has it s own plans and most of the main modding participants in this team are awfully preoccupied with RL work, families etc.
    I believe that by the time we are all gathered and available
    Rome 3 will be launched...
    My heart pounds fast every time I think of modding but my body does not follow anymore. I return home almost every day after a tough day that stats at 8 am and finished almost at 22:30 only to find myself fall asleep in the couch.. that's why I sometimes fail to answer back quickly the messages here in TWC.
    I will keep this dreams though and who knows..
    Cheers to all

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    Guys first of all thanks for your remarks.
    I had many dreams for more mods on this map. Macedonian dominance, Spartan revolt during Alexander's quest in the east, Macedonian wars much later etc..
    Unfortunately life has it s own plans and most of the main modding participants in this team are awfully preoccupied with RL work, families etc.
    I believe that by the time we are all gathered and available
    Rome 3 will be launched...
    My heart pounds fast every time I think of modding but my body does not follow anymore. I return home almost every day after a tough day that stats at 8 am and finished almost at 22:30 only to find myself fall asleep in the couch.. that's why I sometimes fail to answer back quickly the messages here in TWC.
    I will keep this dreams though and who knows..
    Cheers to all
    No need to justify it Phal. You and your team made a masterpiece here that I have literally put days into playing. [emoji23]

We all have RL concerns which must take priority. Thanks for putting in so much of your free time for our enjoyment.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Decanus

No worries Phal. I come up with ideas for making my own board games all the time. Rarely am I able to dedicate the time to making them. Ideas are fun to have and share, but actually making things is hard.

Sorry for my english, I speak spanish and I'm using the google translator.

I want to congratulate the creator of this mod for his great work, it is one of the best mods I've tried. The historical immersion that he gets is admirable. Despite not knowing english the mod has hooked me.

Truly an excellent work. Thank you for doing it.

Sorry for my english, I speak spanish and I'm using the google translator.

I want to congratulate the creator of this mod for his great work, it is one of the best mods I've tried. The historical immersion that he gets is admirable. Despite not knowing english the mod has hooked me.

Truly an excellent work. Thank you for doing it.

I have uploaded the same message twice and I do not know how to remove one. Sorry.