Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 328434445464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1194

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Hope we'll hear about preload announcement during stream tonorrow.

My pc is ready!!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    As for overhauls, well, this just got announced (at 4:20):

Dunno if it's going to be historical focused or not, but with a name like Dresden's attached, I would hope so.
    You bet
    I'll probably join him too, if there's a healthy user interest ofc, compared to the almost non-existent TOB's thread traffic.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 19, 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Who pays full price for this stuff-wait 6 months when they patch it and there are some mods and get it on sale 50-75% off. I would never buy a CA game full price ever. Or any game full price ever-waste of money.
    Forgive me, but I feel I must point out two fatal flaws in this course of action.

1. If nobody buys the game when it comes out, then how are the modders supposed to create the mods you are relying on to "improve" the game?

2. If nobody buys the game when it comes out, then said game is a financial disaster and is unlikely to get additional funding to pay for the patching. It can also have knock on effects on future titles, either their budget, or if they are made at all.

Everybody has to do what's right for them. And I like a good deal as much as the next person. But if it weren't for the players who like to play the game when it first comes out, and are willing to pay a higher price for their entertainment (though in Total War's case, that "high price" isn't really much compared to the content and gametime it represents,) the "wait 6 months and buy it 50-75% off" players, well they wouldn't have any games to play at all.

As for Three Kingdoms, I'm not really sure what to make of it to be honest. We shall see.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    You bet
    I'll probably join him too, if there's a healthy user interest ofc, compared to the almost non-existent TOB's thread traffic.
    I'd certainly be interested, full stop. Hell, I'd be interested in working on it if it's mean to be a historical overhaul. Dunno when they're gonna start recruiting, but we'll see.

Historical accuracy will probably make it a fairly easy sell for the 3K history community, who have been fairly iffy on some of the Romance compromises. Going by the subreddit, there's certainly an interest in a DEI like experience for 3K from the average TW fan as well.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    What is the so called "Historical" in this up-coming Game? Flying Chinese Superheroes like on the Old Martial Arts Movies from the 20th Century?
    I'd certainly be interested, full stop. Hell, I'd be interested in working on it if it's mean to be a historical overhaul. Dunno when they're gonna start recruiting, but we'll see.

Historical accuracy will probably make it a fairly easy sell for the 3K history community, who have been fairly iffy on some of the Romance compromises. Going by the subreddit, there's certainly an interest in a DEI like experience for 3K from the average TW fan as well.
    Absolutely
    If you're still interested after the game's release, just reach me and we could talk with Dresden and Venris about it.

Late game look. NGParadox is more of a Paradox and ROTK player, so more into grand strategy types.

It looks promising. Reminds me of the Shogun 2 endgame (but diplomacy still works), which I think is what they're going for.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Absolutely
    If you're still interested after the game's release, just reach me and we could talk with Dresden and Venris about it.
    If there's a population mod then it will be the first mod I play in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    If there's a population mod then it will be the first mod I play in 5 years.
    Not 100% sure about a Pop mod, but I think it's quite possible.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Not 100% sure about a Pop mod, but I think it's quite possible.
    There should be some sort of pop mod. Currently there's single generic pop in the game. Could be divided into categories like nobility, merchant and farmers etc. Unit recruitments/mustering rate can be tied to this. Possibly can be scripted some draft to turn farmers and merchants into militias quickly etc.

There should be some sort of pop mod. Currently there's single generic pop in the game. Could be divided into categories like nobility, merchant and farmers etc. Unit recruitments/mustering rate can be tied to this. Possibly can be scripted some draft to turn farmers and merchants into militias quickly etc.
    Division by class probably wouldn't work as well. Despite the Confucian ideal, the differences between the non-noble classes weren't really that meaningful from a government standpoint, and the number of nobles was usually tiny compared to the number of non-nobles. Different classes also usually didn't divide between different unit types. While nobles and others of well off means often stocked the officer ranks, the chance of an entire unit being nobility was pretty minuscule, since most nobles would rather stay off the battlefield and live the scholar-bureaucrat dream.

Division by ethnicity might make a lot more sense. Tension between the Han and its ethnic minorities was a huge issue, especially on the frontier and the areas that were actively being settled. Each one had its own customs and quirks and contributed their own fighting styles.
    Ask me a question!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Division by class probably wouldn't work as well. Despite the Confucian ideal, the differences between the non-noble classes weren't really that meaningful from a government standpoint, and the number of nobles was usually tiny compared to the number of non-nobles. Different classes also usually didn't divide between different unit types. While nobles and others of well off means often stocked the officer ranks, the chance of an entire unit being nobility was pretty minuscule, since most nobles would rather stay off the battlefield and live the scholar-bureaucrat dream.

Division by ethnicity might make a lot more sense. Tension between the Han and its ethnic minorities was a huge issue, especially on the frontier and the areas that were actively being settled. Each one had its own customs and quirks and contributed their own fighting styles.
    That's pretty good. In fact I've been thinking about something with thise lines but figure out I dont know much about other ethnics during that period.

Were there many ethnics resides in the major cities of the Han Empire or those were mainly in the north and south or west?

That's pretty good. In fact I've been thinking about something with thise lines but figure out I dont know much about other ethnics during that period.

Were there many ethnics resides in the major cities of the Han Empire or those were mainly in the north and south or west?
    Well for the most part, those near the center of Han civilization would've been Han, though this is something that would change quite a lot with migrations and wars, much as it eventually did in the lands of the Roman Empire. One of the greatest legacies of the era is the colonization of southeast China by Han settlers as the wars in the north and center pushed them further beyond the Yangtze.

So at the start of the game, minorities would be on the perimeter, but as land changes hands and the situation evolves, there would probably be quite a lot of movement in various directions.
    Ask me a question!

Well, everything's doable when a campaign's mechanic isn't hardcoded

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Well, everything's doable when a campaign's mechanic isn't hardcoded
    Should be as moddable at least as Attila. Population is being done via scripting as far as I know. If the GUI can be edited then it should be no problem I think.

Assembly Kit should be out soon, hopefully within a month after game goes live (which is around 32 houra time?).

Watching just some of the youtubers, many are making a big deal of playing "tall." However, I have always played "tall." I rarely declare war on faction and expanding only when the opportunity present itself. Plus ETW, you can choose an alternative to to total conquest as well.

Should be as moddable at least as Attila. Population is being done via scripting as far as I know. If the GUI can be edited then it should be no problem I think.

Assembly Kit should be out soon, hopefully within a month after game goes live (which is around 32 houra time?).
    Indeed. It's the same as Rome 2 and Attila (via script). Hopefully, GUI will be moddable. They have promised full Modding tool access this time. Let's hope they'll deliver.

I agree, it is cynical, however CA has over the years warrant such cynicism.

I haven't played a great deal yet, but I have to admit, from an artistic perspective, it is a beautifully crafted game. The UI is pretty intuitive as well. Things are easy to find.

Definitely interested in a historical overhaul mod, in fact, I wouldn’t start a proper playthrough without it and more content update. The first playthrough is the most memorable and the barebone release content simply wouldn’t do.

I would be more than happy to provide translations(for sources in literary Chinese) as well as any relevant historical sources, the inaccuracies are many, the glaring of which are the weapons, which are totally wrong most of the time.
    the mainstay unit: ‘Ji Militia’ uses anachronistic Warring States Ji in an era when Ji is already in heavy decline as a weapon.
    Maybe the idea is to make the setting fell distinct by giving the men fancy polearms, but the simple Spear/Pike has and always will be the primary weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadBuax View Post
    Definitely interested in a historical overhaul mod, in fact, I wouldn’t start a proper playthrough without it and more content update. The first playthrough is the most memorable and the barebone release content simply wouldn’t do.

I would be more than happy to provide translations(for sources in literary Chinese) as well as any relevant historical sources, the inaccuracies are many, the glaring of which are the weapons, which are totally wrong most of the time.
    the mainstay unit: ‘Ji Militia’ uses anachronistic Warring States Ji in an era when Ji is already in heavy decline as a weapon.
    Maybe the idea is to make the setting fell distinct by giving the men fancy polearms, but the simple Spear/Pike has and always will be the primary weapon.
    The Ji was still rather widespread in the Later Han/Jian'an-Zhengshi eras. The references to it in the histories were on par with those to the spear/pike. It's decline was after this period. The style of Ji used in game are still imperial era (though more Former Han), as they have the single head construction. I've seen a couple that looked like general specific weapons in other people's screenshots that were more aligned with the style of the Later Han era.

If anything should be brought up about nonsensical polearms, its' the glaives. You honestly have to dig very hard to find any evidence that glaive-like weapons even existed in this era, never mind used on the battlefield, but the game is crawling with them.
    Ask me a question!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    Why are you like this.
    The above is nothing to what CA really deserves.