Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Default Re: New Historical total war era announcement coming on Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Pεsan View Post
    Can we try to be reasonable with this one and not scare everyone new away with boundless amounts of bile until the discussion forums are left a wasteland? For the good of the forum and all.
    Are we really that scary...

All things considered though, one has to wonder if they'll incorporate some sort of fantasy hero/dynasty warrior esque elements from Warhammer into this title, despite being their next "historical" release. From what I've been reading today about the 3 Kingdoms, it seems somewhat fabled as far as Chinese history goes. Granted I'm extremely light on any knowledge pertaining to this time period.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    Very disappointing. Melee is fun, but there are fans of gunpowder age also.
    Maybe they'll do what they did with Shogun II and jump eras in their DLC and we'll see a Boxer Rebellion/Opium Wars DLC
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

I really loved this an announcement by The Creative Assembly. I agree with early posts here, that we have seen Europe many many... times and now we jump to a new area, China. Another thing, what I like very much. It is a first historical total war game, that uses the 64-bit engine as I have new PC high-end build. China era is also my favorite as I have traveled and lived in China and have a big interest in their history and culture.

Also, this new historical era can offer more DLC chances (There are many historical events in China), even bring a gunpowder and first world change's technology.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; January 10, 2018 at 01:31 PM.

Isn't Britannia being released in 64 bit unless you mean "major" title?

The trailer reminds me of this movie.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Maybe they'll do what they did with Shogun II and jump eras in their DLC and we'll see a Boxer Rebellion/Opium Wars DLC
    The Mongol invasions seem like a probable scenario.

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

what a disapointment

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I honest to god would have hated and not bought another european total war. I say it a lot but it's true, I'm sick of the map and the units and the most fun I've ever had with TW since Medieval II was Warhammer II. I was never, ever going to buy Thrones of Britannia or the Roman DLC, and I would have absolutely loathed a Victoria or Pike and Shot era game.

China is not my first pick, but it's a good enough pick to make me want it.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    The Mongol invasions seem like a probable scenario.
    I think 1,000 years between the two time frames might be a bit vast for DLC potential.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    I honest to god would have hated and not bought another european total war. I say it a lot but it's true, I'm sick of the map and the units and the most fun I've ever had with TW since Medieval II was Warhammer II. I was never, ever going to buy Thrones of Britannia or the Roman DLC, and I would have absolutely loathed a Victoria or Pike and Shot era game.

China is not my first pick, but it's a good enough pick to make me want it.
    Just curious, but if Europe isn't your cup of tea, and East Asia isn't your first pick... What other major historical conflict are they suppose to touch on outside those geographic areas? American Civil War?
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Just curious, but if Europe isn't your cup of tea, and East Asia isn't your first pick... What other major historical conflict are they suppose to touch on outside those geographic areas? American Civil War?
    It isn't my cup of tea, no. Don't want to sound like I hate european history, I just care veeeery little for it. I'm fine with whoever does, but we've had seven games. Honestly dude? I would have settled for any non-european setting, 4 years ago I remember complaining a lot about how modders just kept remaking the same mods under different rulers, Roma Surrectum, Europa Barbarum, stainless steel, realism tw, etc. and god knows how many other "settings" that only differed from the main title in that they were just more historical, and this was when one could make entirely new maps.

Gah, sorry for the tangent, I am just very happy with this news, but my personal picks would have been thusly:

Aztec Total War
    Inca Total War
    India Total War
    China total war

Any period would have been fine so long as the focus on the region was there.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    I think 1,000 years between the two time frames might be a bit vast for DLC potential.
    Perhaps on paper, but in praxis a Dschinghis campaign dlc would pander to an extremely wide non-chinese audience and would therefore encourage many people who are otherwise not that interested in the core campaign to buy the game. And if it's not Dschinghis I could still see a Tang campaign settled in the 7th and 8th century.

Quite disappointed, I was hoping they wouldn't do China. Not hating, just not my personal preference, but there's still MODS for older TW and Sagas to keep me entertained. Will still try this out eventually. I'm am curious to see what they do with a new engine though and how the battles turn out.

Was hoping for a Victoria Total war personally.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Finally a Total War game in China, being extremely happy about this! I am interested in Chinese history and culture, will be living there for a short while soon. After seeing the series on YouTube, I have anticipated for a good Three Kingdoms based game for a long time. It's been my view that the period would fit Total War extremely well and now it is happening. Wonderful news to me

When I get my computer fixed I will say more but right now I will just say thank God for CA doing something diffrent for once and going for a previously untouched setting in total war.

So in summery Oriental Empires with real time battles

Loking forward to it. I just hope the campaign mechanics are as good as the battles in this historical title
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; January 10, 2018 at 03:38 PM.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    All things considered though, one has to wonder if they'll incorporate some sort of fantasy hero/dynasty warrior esque elements from Warhammer into this title, despite being their next "historical" release. From what I've been reading today about the 3 Kingdoms, it seems somewhat fabled as far as Chinese history goes. Granted I'm extremely light on any knowledge pertaining to this time period.
    A Chinese perspective on history differs from a modern Western one. In many respects it is similar to the Victorians, in tending to view historic figures with a certain romantic framework. Whereas Europeans today, often look to see historical figures in a more critical and realistic context, to the extent of purposely deconstructing any heroic imagery that has developed around them. The Three Kingdoms period is a good example of this. A famous fourteenth century novel, "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms", described the Three Kingdoms period as one of romance, heroism and chivalry, and in many respects this is how it is still perceived in popular culture. But it was not romantic for those who lived it, being one of the most bloody periods in China's history.

I'm thinking then that with a Chinese market in mind and the introduction video, the Total War game will probably lean more heavily on this imagery and build upon the development of the central characters as action heroes instead of gritty realism than has previously be done before, but I could be wrong. However, providing it doesn't turn into something akin to those Chinese action movies and strategic battles remain the core focus. A Total War developed on Chinese history is welcomed and provides a good context for an entirely new game.

Remember that China was the home of the great strategist Sun Tzu it is fitting that Total War base a campaign on the place of his birth, if not the time.
    Last edited by caratacus; January 10, 2018 at 03:57 PM.

Yeah, that is something i'm not looking foward too but understand. I don't mind personally if there is a bit of a fantastical element to it, but I'd rather it be kept to a minimal and be largely aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Perhaps on paper, but in praxis a Dschinghis campaign dlc would pander to an extremely wide non-chinese audience and would therefore encourage many people who are otherwise not that interested in the core campaign to buy the game. And if it's not Dschinghis I could still see a Tang campaign settled in the 7th and 8th century.
    I predict the expansion is going to focus on the Warring States; it's closer to the fall of Han (meaning less must be spent on graphical details), and is quite a memorable name. Genghis Khan is quite memorable as well, but it's a millennium apart, and, well, during Temudjin's life most of the action was outside China proper. He only completed the conquest of Xia in life, altough Jin was soon to fall. But I'd love that as well, starting getting the command of the Khamag, uniting the five Khanliqs, and how everything from there is tied to quite personal events (like the campaign against Khwarazmian Empire was sparked due to the arrogance of the governor of Otrar, Inalchuq, who sacked the caravans Mongols sent westward, or how the mongols attacked Xi Liao because Kushluq fled there and usurped the kingdom).

I also enjoy more when you can interact with different cultures, which isn't quite possible in the Three Kingdoms Era. We'll probably see Wu Huan mercenaries (fighting for Yuan Shao), the Di on the west frontier, and the Yue peoples of the south, but that's most of it for the initial map I bet.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

It looks like the predictions I've been posting several times on this forum are coming true. The Warhammer era of Total War has and is going to irreparably change the artistic and design philosophy of the development studio. The trailer is throwing up all sorts of redflags, one being the clear indications that it will be hero-oriented combat, moving away from the more 'battle simulator' gameplay. It also appears as if they've let their artistic license meander away quite a bit, it feels like there will be a lot of fantastical depictions and art-styles in this one. I imagine the special abilities buttons will be implemented galore too, to the expense of the maneuvering gameplay focus that older titles did so uniquely well. This is a regrettable change of path for the studio for those of us who dream of a battle simulator game that at least tries to be historical and realistic. I'll still give them the chance to prove me wrong, but at this point I'd wager I'm correct.
    Last edited by Evan MF; January 10, 2018 at 04:45 PM.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Yeah, that is something i'm not looking foward too but understand. I don't mind personally if there is a bit of a fantastical element to it, but I'd rather it be kept to a minimal and be largely aesthetic.
    As a fan of history and having almost no interest in Warhammer (never played), I think I'll prefer this following a slightly fantastical/heroic theme. Magic and excessive rpg are turn offs but if it's not presented 100% historially accurately then the suspension of belief isn't quite as damaged when it doesn't feel accurate. If we're getting lords and heroes in battle, like Warhammer, I don't feel as bad when battles are blobby slaughterfests like Attila.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Ugh but I think we saw this coming a mile away. Not an exciting direction for the historical franchise IMO. At least Rome 2 got some love with the last patch and we have the awesome modding support from DEI.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    It looks like the predictions I've been posting several times on this forum are coming true. The Warhammer era of Total War has and is going to irreparably change the artistic and design philosophy of the development studio. The trailer is throwing up all sorts of redflags, one being the clear indications that it will be hero-oriented combat, moving away from the more 'battle simulator' gameplay. It also appears as if they've let their artistic license meander away quite a bit, it feels like there will be a lot of fantastical depictions and art-styles in this one. I imagine the special abilities buttons will be implemented galore too, to the expense of the maneuvering gameplay focus that older titles did so uniquely well. This is a regrettable change of path for the studio for those of us who dream of a battle simulator game that at least tries to be historical and realistic. I'll still give them the chance to prove me wrong, but at this point I'd wager I'm correct.
    Yup. Have said and thought the same thing many times the past few months. Historical titles from here on out will basically be Warhammer with some light historical overlays - i.e. a focus on developing your "hero" and their skills as they mow down legions of non-hero enemies. It's a totally different direction for the franchise.