Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Crap, i´m writing half sleeping.

You are completely right Zoner, I messed up numbers in my head. 11 Starting warlords and additional 3 from pre-order DLC. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; December 17, 2018 at 02:59 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    So Gongsun Du is confirmed to be in the game, but Liaodong, the majority of his actual territory, is not. Really blue balling me here, CA.

I guess this means Dong Zhuo is going to be FLC.

EDIT: Oh God, increased cav armor and the best cav archers in the game. He's going to be this game's White Huns, isn't he?
    Gongsun Zan has really revealed how weird this map is. They mention in this very blog how he is basically on the frontier vs the northern Barbarians, yet he starts on the edge of the map in the corner with just 1 enemy facing him to the east, everyone else is to the south. Hopefully post launch they will expand the map a bit further north and east.

Meet Zhao Yun, the Controversially Coloured Serpent. CA had mistakenly labelled him as Purple Dragon (although he's generally associated with white), which probably explains why he seems so fond of purple bandanas and cloaks. In reality, although his courtesy name may sound similar to that phrase, it is actually composed of different characters from the Chinese alphabet, so it cannot be really translated to anything. I wonder how they reached that conclusion, because it implies both a knowledge of Chinese vocabulary and a complete unfamiliarity with the spelling. Perhaps they consulted an untrustworthy source, without taking care to verify its testimony. Creative Assembly's original tweet:
    Quote Originally Posted by CA on social media
    Known as the Purple Dragon, Zhao Yun has a steadfast sense of moral duty and will always do what he thinks is right, no matter how dangerous. As a charismatic and skilled warrior, Zhao Yun fights for justice, and will follow none but the most righteous of warlords.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In what concerns the mysterious omission of the tyrant, I suppose Dong Zhuo will be a free DLC. Charging for him and his retinue will upset the customers more than the notorious "Chaos affair" and equally to Sega's and Bethesda's naughty business practices.

Zilong the purple dragon. Who would've guessed.

Now we know why he was so good with infants. He's Chinese Barney.

Iteresting thread. Uhuh.

New Trailer - Hero´s Journey

Well, very pretty in a kind of location/ultra graphics showcase, though it seems that the height the camera was at on the campaign map was triggering the draw distance at the bottom.

Still, it's pretty amusing that the Zhuge Liang trailer drops now, after the whole controversy over calling him "notorious" in the Sima Yi tweet.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

How was calling Zhuge Liang Notorious a controversy? He definitely had some Notoriety, and if we are viewing Notorious as a purely negative word(which was not the intent) then from the perspective of Sima's Wei then yeah, he probably was pretty Notorious.

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    How was calling Zhuge Liang Notorious a controversy? He definitely had some Notoriety, and if we are viewing Notorious as a purely negative word(which was not the intent) then from the perspective of Sima's Wei then yeah, he probably was pretty Notorious.
    Teiba appeared to have mistranslated or misunderstood the meaning of the word. That, and the fact that they also mistranslated the later part of the tweet into saying that Sima Yi beat Zhuge Liang (which I'd argue is strategically correct).

A lot of Chinese forumites were not happy.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    Teiba appeared to have mistranslated or misunderstood the meaning of the word. That, and the fact that they also mistranslated the later part of the tweet into saying that Sima Yi beat Zhuge Liang (which I'd argue is strategically correct).

A lot of Chinese forumites were not happy.
    Is there an actual argument that Sima Yi did not beat Zhuge Liang? No he didn't beat him on the field of battle but if Zhuge Liang made his expeditions and each time returned home unsuccessfully with his objectives not achieved, how is that not a defeat for Zhuge and a victory for Sima? Though I feel like I'm preaching to the Choir here.

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    Is there an actual argument that Sima Yi did not beat Zhuge Liang? No he didn't beat him on the field of battle but if Zhuge Liang made his expeditions and each time returned home unsuccessfully with his objectives not achieved, how is that not a defeat for Zhuge and a victory for Sima? Though I feel like I'm preaching to the Choir here.
    Well I'm a fairly vocal proponent of that view, so I probably qualify for this 'choir'

Sima Yi only held theater command in the fourth and fifth expeditions, so I'll only use these as a sample.

Now, in the fourth expedition, the scoreboard as far as battles go depends on your trust in the secondary sources. Going just by the Sanguozhi, Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi maneuvered about for a while, then Zhuge Liang's supply route got cut by the rain washing out the gallery roads through the Qin Mountains and had to withdraw. HOWEVER, if we apply the annotations to the SGZ account of the fourth campaign, things get messy. The Han Jin Chunqiu and the Jin Shu add a bunch of individual battles that color the story. The Han Jin Chunqiu paints a picture of Zhuge Liang continually winning against Sima Yi's subordinates in open field battle while Sima Yi stays behind, somewhat annoyed that his subordinates aren't listening to him. Meanwhile, the Jin Shu paints this entire affair as part of Sima Yi's plan to slowly choke Zhuge Liang out of Liang Province, reading each situation perfectly before dealing a serious blow as they retreat. Both are biased in opposite directions, with the Han Jin Chunqiu beginning with the hypothesis that Shu should be considered the rightful and righteous heirs of the Han dynasty, while the Jin Shu is the official annals of the state of Jin, for whom Sima Yi is the founding emperor and is obviously stumping for the guy, with a bunch of direct quotes that probably were not actually written down at the time.

The exception is that the SGZ is very clear about the death of Zhang He, who was killed in an ambush chasing the Shu army back through the mountains. The Weilue states that he was ordered to do this by Sima Yi, over Zhang He's protests that a retreating army in good order should not be pursued into their own territory. This is perhaps the great black mark on Sima Yi's record during this campaign, as he should have known better, especially since the exact same thing had happened to Wang Shuang in the third expedition a two years prior. Either way, the undeniable fact is that Zhuge Liang failed to capture any territory and failed to make a significant dent in the Wei defenses. Despite the death of Zhang He, there wasn't any major damage to the ability of Wei to hold the province, and Zhuge Liang almost certainly spent a huge amount of Shu's resources on the expedition, so much so that it took him three years to mount another one.

In the fifth expedition, there were basically no direct engagements between Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang. There were a couple that were handled by Guo Huai on his own authority (with Sima Yi's approval), but there were none that the commanding generals launched against each other on the whole front. The Wei river demarcated the boundary between the armies from the get go and every attempt at attacking across it met with failure. Now, how much one gives credit to Sima Yi for holding the line depends on one's reading of the situation with Emperor Ming (Cao Rui) and Xin Pi. The SGZ states that Sima Yi wanted to attack Zhuge Liang in open battle, but Emperor Ming forbade him from doing so and sent Xin Pi with the imperial scepter to remind the troops of whose orders they should listen to. Now, the Jin Shu recasts this as an act on Sima Yi's part to prevent a repeat of the situation in the fourth campaign, where his subordinates got angry at him restraining them from fighting to the point where he had to let them fight a battle he knew they would lose just to placate them and prevent them from falling into complacency.

Eventually, Zhuge Liang died of either age or stress (which again, the Jin Shu says that Sima Yi predicted), and the Shu army retreated through the passes. They had a brief internal problem due to a power struggle between Yang Yi and Wei Yan, the latter of whom was one of Shu's best field commanders but estranged from Zhuge Liang's inner circle, and he was trying to keep Shu's army in the field by blocking the path of retreat, since he argued that the death of Zhuge Liang shouldn't prevent the campaign from continuing. Eventually, he was killed and the Shu army completed it's retreat, and when Sima Yi advanced cautiously through Zhuge Liang's camp (suspecting a trap) he found out that there was now a saying among the commoners that "a dead Zhuge scares away a living Zhongda" to which he stated that he "could predict the thoughts of the living but not those of the dead." The sayings were probably hearsay (and are another Jin Shu annotation) but they became part of the common discourse around the fifth campaign and another list in the "evidence" that Zhuge Liang beat Sima Yi, even in death. However, ultimately the fact remains that Zhuge Liang failed once again in his attempts to conquer the Wei River valley, likely at the expenditure of a large portion of the Shu treasury, and his factionalism got one of his best field commanders killed in a time where Shu could not afford to be sacrificing good generals.

The usual argument goes that Zhuge Liang didn't actually lose any battles. The failure of the fourth campaign is blamed on Li Yan, who was in charge of the supplies, despite the fact that he had nothing to do with the supply interruption and was only punished for lying about it. The fifth campaign is usually portrayed as Sima Yi being too afraid to come fight him, despite the fact that the onus was on Zhuge Liang as the attacker to actually attack. The likely apocryphal story about an effigy of Zhuge Liang scaring away the Wei army is usually trotted out as "proof" that Zhuge Liang was victorious, even in death, even though even in that case there's no proof that it was his idea. Whether the defensive strategy was Sima Yi's or Emperor Ming's idea, it was undeniably effective and Wei had lost nothing substantial aside from Zhang He, who was replaced quite easily (not to his discredit, but more to the profusion of talented commanders that Wei benefited from). Shu, meanwhile, spend an enormous amount of men and material on the expeditions and lost both Zhuge Liang and Wei Yan, their best administrator and best frontline general respectively. Wei would ultimately win the western front, though under circumstances that paved the way for the Sima coup that established the Jin dynasty.
    Last edited by zoner16; January 11, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Ask me a question!

All the info about all warlords on one page:
    https://academy.totalwar.com/three-k...tSu7PnR4QrjmII

New video wih spy mechanics:

So a few things from the Reddit AMA that accompanied the video:

• If captured, the options you have with a spy are to release, execute, forgive and hire, or send back as a double agent.
    • Spies will only be captured if you attempt an action and don't have enough additional resources for the ensuing dilemma. They can't be found out if they don't take any action. This cost is hidden until you initiate the action, and is increased by reforms and traits that the target faction has.
    • Characters are persistent, and will not vanish from the game unless killed. However, they can vanish from your recruitment pool and go to another faction's recruitment pool if you don't hire them.
    • Characters have salaries that are dependent on a few factors and you still have to pay them even if they're not actively doing something, so buying up everyone in the recruitment pool doesn't come without cost.
    • Capturing generals seems to have made a comeback, and the confirmed options are to attempt to convince them to join you or execute them. Presumably releasing them is an option as well. Nothing has been said if you can just hold onto them or ransom them.
    • If you destroy a faction, all the still alive characters from that faction will go into various recruitment pools. If they like you, they might go to yours. However, if they were satisfied with their faction (which you just destroyed), they'll probably go to your enemies.
    • If you fight an enemy army with a spy of yours in it, the spy will maintain their cover and fight as a regular general. You have to order the spy to defect before the battle, on your turn, if you want them to do so. Spies won't defect on opponents' turns.
    • If you defeat an army with your spy in it and capture them, you can either bring them back into your faction without any problems, or release them back to their faction with their cover still intact.
    • Characters get a satisfaction penalty for not being in the same faction as their friends, and get a satisfaction bonus for being in a different faction from their rivals. So if your spy goes undercover, makes some friends, and then comes back, you'll have an easier time convincing his friends to defect or revolt. However, this presumably cuts both ways, as your spy is now somewhat dissatisfied that their friends are with their old employer.
    • You still have to pay a salary to your spies when they're in another faction. The other faction will also be paying them, though presumably the salary for the position they have in that faction, not yours.
    • A reform can be taken once a year, every spring, and aren't based on a resource. So research rate isn't a thing anymore.
    • The character skill tree is universal, and there isn't a separate skill tree for spies. Spy skills are increased through reforms to your spy administration.
    • You can manipulate the Satisfaction of a character (or all characters) within a faction, but you can't manipulate the Guanxi between characters. So you can't make or break friendships. They can only happen organically.
    • Spy slots increase with faction rank (emperor brings it up to 8), reforms, and some leader traits.
    • Any character can be a spy, but only some characters are willing to spy for any given leader, which is based on chance.
    • AI factions will hire characters based on traits they want and level, so the best spies will be high level characters with traits the AI needs. This will let them climb the highest in the AI's faction. There isn't any "spying skill" that makes them more successful at generic spying.
    • No character renaming.
    • If a faction with active spies is destroyed, the spies can seek a new master while maintaining their cover.
    • Yuan Shao's captains and the "lesser officers" of everyone else aren't full fledged characters and can't spy or be sent to the recruitment pool. However, if they do well in battle, they can be made into full fledged characters who can do the same things as everyone else. I.E. Man of the Hour is back.
    • The more spies you have in a faction, the better your spy network resource will get.
    • Satisfaction can be improved by giving characters high ranking offices, titles (which increase their salary), ancillaries, and by bringing their friends in. Bringing in their rivals decreases it.
    • If you feel suspicious about a character being a spy, you can banish them.
    • There's no longer head to head or co-op multiplayer campaigns. They're now just regular multiplayer campaigns. Alliances can shift during play, so you're allowed to turn on your friends or ally with your enemies.
    • If your spy is in command of an army, a successful military revolt will cause the other generals in the army to disband and return to their faction. They won't come with the defectors. This also means that there is a specific commander of the overall army despite there being multiple officers in it.
    • A spy whose cover has not been blown will not accept being a spy for the faction they are already spying on.
    Ask me a question!

Awesome that Man of the Hour is back. I assume that the Captains and Officers basically function as ways to get full stacks even if you can't afford or find characters.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Does Multiplyaer Campaign let more than 2 players to play or still limited to just 2???

Twitter video on Army revolts, also shows features the first Chinese voice acting, as well as apparently being Classic Mode since the generals have bodyguards. The unit size is also lower than normal, with 120 man infantry units and 30 man cavalry units, this is likely the "Large" unit size as opposed to what we have seen being Huge unit size(presumably). https://twitter.com/i/status/1088089000466935808

Have to say, am a bit disappointed that this is likely Large unit sizes, meaning we have been seeing Huge unit sizes. I was hoping for there to be a unit size with 200 man regiments and 60 man cavalry units atleast. Don't know why they have gone for the pitiful 160/40 when even Shogun 2 had a split of 200/80. Yes the Archers are now 160 instead of 120 but still, I just think only 40 cavalry in a unit is pitiful.

New video about Heroes & Guanxi Let's Play:

Campaign play looks really good, but looking at the battle videos, this will be the worst Total War ever for tactical battle. The quality of animations in this is on the level of Shogun 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFjwvDWQpB8

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Odinarius View Post
    Campaign play looks really good, but looking at the battle videos, this will be the worst Total War ever for tactical battle. The quality of animations in this is on the level of Shogun 1!

How is it possible