Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4294445464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1194

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    The Ji was still rather widespread in the Later Han/Jian'an-Zhengshi eras. The references to it in the histories were on par with those to the spear/pike. It's decline was after this period. The style of Ji used in game are still imperial era (though more Former Han), as they have the single head construction. I've seen a couple that looked like general specific weapons in other people's screenshots that were more aligned with the style of the Later Han era.

If anything should be brought up about nonsensical polearms, its' the glaives. You honestly have to dig very hard to find any evidence that glaive-like weapons even existed in this era, never mind used on the battlefield, but the game is crawling with them.
    I actually made a short summary thread on polearms a few years back:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...-ancient-china
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is what Han dynasty Ji unearthed from Western Han tombs look like and that is how ingame look like, this looks completely different from the ones ingame, which has a much thicker blade and a different shape, stereotypical of Warring States Ji.

On top of this, Armoury records unearthed during Han dynasty indicates Ji to make up very small percentage of the overall arsenal. Yes, it is an ancedote, but it is most concrete and quantifiable evidence so far. If you can read Chinese, look up武库永始四年兵车器集簿, it records the content of DongHai commendary armoury in year 13 BC, Ji only accounts for 6634 of the 614 546 polearms. Heres a quick translation:

• Bow & Crossbow
      Crossbow: 537,707 (Imperial Heirloom: 11,181)
      Bow: 77,521
      total: 615,228
    • Projectiles
      Bolts: 11,458,424 (Imperial Heirloom: 34,265)
      Arrows: 1,199,316 (Imperial Heirloom: 511)
      Total: 12,657,740
    • Armor
      Standard Armor: 142,701 (Imperial Heirlooms: 379)
      Iron Thigh Armor: 225 pairs with one unique pair
      Heavy Armor: 63,324
      ?? Normal / Leather Thigh Armor: 563
      Lamellar pieces: 587,299
      Tempered leather: 14 jing (Han dynasty weight unit)
    • Helmet
      Helmet: 98,226 (Imperial Heirloom: 678)
      Horse Armor: 5,330
    • Shield
      Shield: 102,551 (Imperial Heirloom: 2650)
    • Polearms
      Bronze Dagger-Axe: 632 (Imperial Heirloom: 563)
      Spear: 52,555 (Imperial Heirloom: 2377)
      Sha (Trident?): 943 (all of them Imperial Heirloom)
      Pi (Long spear?): 451,222 (Imperial Heirloom: 1421)
      Ji Polearm : 6634
      YoFang : 78,393
      Duan: 24,167
      Total: 614,546
    • Swords & Blades
      Sword: 99,905 (Imperial Heirloom: 4)
      Daggers: 24,804
      Saw Blade?: 30,098
      Saber: 156,135
      Long Saber: 127 (Imperial Heirloom: 232)
      Total: 311,069
    • Battle Axes
      Iron Axes: 1132 (Imperial Heirloom: 136)

This is just the start, every single melee weapon other than the Sabre in game is inaccurate/anachronistic/made up. Funny how they get the general aesthehics of Han dynasty clothing and armour right, but almost every melee weapon is blatantly wrong. They also tend to have utterly nonesensical combinations too: Double axes? Single handed swords but no shield? Giant glaives but no armour? It desperately needs an common sense overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadBuax View Post
    On top of this, Armoury records unearthed during Han dynasty indicates Ji to make up very small percentage of the overall arsenal. Yes, it is an ancedote, but it is most concrete and quantifiable evidence so far. If you can read Chinese, look up武库永始四年兵车器集簿, it records the content of DongHai commendary armoury in year 13 BC, Ji only accounts for 6634 of the 614 546 polearms. Heres a quick translation:
    The Donghai armory records are something that shouldn't be taken as a single authority, at least, not without context. Specifically, you can see several weapons that died out between the date of transcription at the end of Former Han and the start of the Jian'an period. The Pi, usually called a dagger-spear or bladestaff, is probably the most prominent example. It vanishes from record somewhere in the middle of Later Han, yet it's by far the most prevalent melee weapon in the Donghai arsenal. Meanwhile, the Youfang variant of halberd outnumbers the basic spears, despite them being a rather esoteric weapon. Donghai was only one of several arsenals and there were two hundred years of history and major conflicts during the interim, so there's space for changes.

De Crespigny's hypothesis on this is that the Pi (and by extension, the Tan) had at some point started incorporating a second point a la the Ge, essentially fusing the dagger-spear and the dagger-ax, while retaining the single piece construction. Eventually, this weapon merged probably under the Ji (previously a two piece construction of a separate spearhead and dagger-ax) for clarity of names, while the long, thin, single blade of the older Pi just became part of the standard Mao design. The Ji of the Later Han era, also using a combined head construction, probably evolved from this, incorporating the advancements in metallurgy and blacksmithing that made Later Han weapons longer and thinner by design.

The halberds in-game are therefore more of this in-between point where the single piece halberd head had come into being, but still had a lot of Warring States influences and hadn't fully transitioned into its Later Han design. I imagine you could probably find ones like this gathering dust in poorer commandery armories at the time, used for bandit fights and sentry duty.

The halberd shows up consistently as a battlefield weapon throughout the histories of Later Han and the Three Kingdoms era. I don't think it should necessarily take precedence over the spear, but it's days were far from over. If I had to hazard a guess, I would imagine that it's descent into obscurity probably truly started with the fall of Western Jin and the loss of many of the major industrial centers of Han civilization as well as the loss of old Han military doctrines. The influx of non-Han irregular troops during the Sixteen Kingdoms era and the preponderance of heavy cavalry from the north probably then made it's use sub-optimal compared to the spear.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

A few points
    1. Gaming "companies" do not have a dedicated historical research department. They outsource for consultants, but decision making is done in house.
    2. When things are uncertain, they going to choose a aesthetic choice. So, if a weapon "looks better" in game while still keeping with what is understood, then they will choose that option.
    3. With historical titles, the approach is to create something close to authentic at the start date. Because of different possible decisions that could be made, development in certain areas may become less or more. They have to take the "what if" scenarios in account.
    4. The games are meant to be a general idea. They cannot possibly capture of the nuance of the period in a game. they simply do not have that much time to devote to creating such a game.
    5. Reading between the lines, the focus was on Romance. Presenting a romanticized army is consistent with this approach. There is no way they are going to devote the same energy for the "historical" version.

Modding is really the only way bring more historicity to the game. The developers simply do not have the resources to create that much detail while keeping to a time line.

BTW, I do not rite this to discourage. It is just an FYI. Any potential modder would find this discussion very informative. Anyone who is interested in a more historical accurate game should keep their eye out for any modding team and then offer their services and share their knowledge.
    Last edited by PikeStance; May 25, 2019 at 09:56 AM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Thread sticky.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

The diplomacy system alone makes this game a big step forward for Total War. It's very fluid, worth engaging on almost every turn. I just wish there was a way to link the warlord's name to their territory when evaluating offers. Also, is there a way to change the day/night cycle on the camapign map to shorter nights?
    I'm Liu Bei about 12 hours or so into a h/h records campaign, extreme unit sizes. Still learning how all the systems work.

In terms of modding, I'm 100% up for consuming any historical accuracy content.

Woa Woa Woah, old TWC members enjoying a post Rome 2 total war game ,what twisited timeline have I entered?

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I do have to say that the sheer upgrade of the Campaign gameplay shines a lot of focus on just how stagnant TW battles have been.

It does vex me quite a bit that right when Total War games were becoming there prettiest, you couldn't mod maps anymore.
    Last edited by Leonardo; May 26, 2019 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    I do have to say that the sheer upgrade of the Campaign gameplay shines a lot of focus on just how stagnant TW battles have been.
    So true. Retinues just don't make it interesting imo and heroes are a sad joke. I'm hoping CA goes to the 19th Century next and introduces a new system allowing us to manage armies in the tens of thousands.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

^ I'd very much rather they didn't, but I do agree on the tens of thousands bit!

Quote Originally Posted by BreadBuax View Post
    Woa Woa Woah, old TWC members enjoying a post Rome 2 total war game ,what twisited timeline have I entered?
    It gets more twisted. Who would think that CA would have their game praised while PDX would have their game criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    So true. Retinues just don't make it interesting imo and heroes are a sad joke. I'm hoping CA goes to the 19th Century next and introduces a new system allowing us to manage armies in the tens of thousands.
    It would require an enormous amount of resources to run the game. The new game, Grand Tactician, attempted to use several options before resorting to Sprites. (Blog)

Having absolutely no clue about this time period, the game is very good from my perspective. I played a Kong Rong campaign in Romance mode and there is a huge amount of stuff in the game. I don't know that I ever did especially well with his trade monopoly mechanic but the campaign was still a lot of fun. It was pretty difficult too, Yuan Shao picked up a ton of vassals (I think others are reporting this as well) and he was tough to hold back. Matters got even worse when Sun Jian, who was strength ranked 2, declared war on me as well and I spent about 50 turns just trying to fend them all off before eventually being able to turn it around to win it.

Kong Rong died off pretty early for me so his wife ended up Empress

One thing that seemed odd was that after Sun Jian died, his heir peddled off his brother for some farms:

I thought it might have been some elaborate spy ploy but nothing untoward seemed to happen from it, so I guess just getting rid of family competition?

So overall, definitely a big thumbs up from me for a pretty entertaining game. My only gripe would be the UI, which I found pretty hard to come to terms with, spending what felt like a long time looking for things even with the F1 help.

I found the list of historical characters with unique traits for anyone who is interested. Some of the descriptions gave me a laugh.

cai mao -- Competent Sailor -- "Cai Mao is adept of naval combat, and a budding admiral."
    cao ang -- Prince Min -- "Cao Ang's fate is to one day be prince of the House of Cao, be it in life or in death."
    cao cao -- Strategic Mastermind -- "The wily Cao Cao sees opportunity in the hardships of others, skewing things to his advantage."
    cao pi -- Political Animal -- "In war, you can only be killed once, but in politics, many times."""""
    cao ren -- Brave Hunter -- "The skills of a fearless outdoorsman --horse-riding, archery, and hunting --make Cao Ren a valued battlefield ally."
    chen gong -- Master Magistrate -- "Chen Gong knows that even great men are imperfect, and righteousness is often not immediately obvious."
    cheng pu -- Bandit Killer -- 'The General of the Household Who Defeats Bandits' is living proof that bravery can overcome adversity.
    dian wei -- Brute of Unmatched Power -- "Such prowess! This is old Elai again!"""""
    dong zhuo -- Cruel Tyrant -- "Consumed by his hunger for power, Dong Zhuo's despotism knows no bounds."
    fa zheng -- Vindictive Strategist -- "The intelligent and vengeful Fa Zheng should not be crossed, lest you become the target of his deadly schemes."
    gan ning -- Pirate of the Bells -- "Cao Cao may have Zhang Liao, but I have Gan Ning! Thus we are evenly matched."""""
    gao gan -- Loyal Nephew -- "Ever the rebel, Gao Gan's true allegiances shall only die when he does."
    gong du -- Master of the Land -- "Far from being just a heartless bandit, Gong Du is a principled soldier of honour."
    gongsun du -- the Warlike -- "In war, Gongsun Du does what is required of him; he revels in bloodshed and conquest."
    gongsun zan -- The Iron Fist General -- "Defence of the frontiers requires more than just the resources of a warlord, but also a merciless attitude."
    guan yu -- God of War -- "A famed warrior and righteous slayer of all who dare oppose him, Guan Yu's deification is already assured."
    guo jia -- Astute Advisor -- Guo Jia is a confidant of unparalleled foresight --to ignore his counsel is to invite failure and defeat.
    han fu -- Diligent Agriculturalist -- "Using his ability to manage food supplies with tireless efficiency, Han Fu is a most valuable logistician."
    han sui -- Tireless Insurgent -- "Insurrection is in Han Sui's blood. To him, subservience cannot be permanent."
    he man -- The Most Powerful -- "I am He Man, the devil who shoots across the sky! Who dares challenge me\?"""""
    he yi -- Leader of the People -- "With unwavering faith, He Yi inspires others to follow in his righteous footsteps."
    hua xiong -- Fierce Beast -- "With a head shaped like a leopard's and ape-like shoulders, Hua Xiong's ferocity is matched by his appearance."
    huang gai -- Unreadable Warrior -- His outward demeanour belies his real allegiances --Huang Gai truly is the very definition of inscrutability.
    huang shao -- Wielder of the Heavenly Way -- "All uprisings, no matter how widespread, stand little chance of success without strong leadership."
    huang zhong -- of the Ageless Strength -- "The venerable Huang Zhong, to whom age is just a number, is frequently underestimated in battle."
    huang zu -- Ranged Ambusher -- "Huang Zu likes to start offensives on the front foot, from a safe distance and out of sight."
    huangfu song -- Aged General -- "In the brutal business of war, there is no better teacher than experience."
    jia long -- Short-sighted Peacekeeper -- "Jia Long may dedicate much time to forethought, yet still lacks caution now and then."
    jia xu -- The Blade in the Dark -- Decisions made in secret can have the deadliest outcomes.
    jiang wei -- Budding Commander -- "Known for being an expert general despite his inexperience, Jiang Wei has a precocious talent for war."
    kong rong -- Master Scholar -- "Kong Rong claims descent from the great Confucius himself, attested to by his remarkable wit and scholarly fame."
    kong zhou -- Pure Conversationalist -- "A master at the art of Qingtan, Kong Zhou utilises discussion and debate as a means of intellectual self-improvement."
    lady sun -- The Rising Sun -- "As surely as the sun rises, the Lady will always endeavour to get her way."
    li ru -- Vicious Shadow -- Behind every despot's schemes is the intellect of a consummate strategist.
    ling tong -- Daring Errant -- "For some men, war is a chance to prove one's self and seek adventure."
    liu bei -- Virtuous Idealist -- "Despite having come from modest beginnings, the blood of ancient Han emperors flows through Liu Bei's veins."
    liu biao -- Gentleman of the Han -- "A man seldom ruffled, Liu Biao demonstrates his aristocratic pedigree through stable officiality."
    liu dai -- Generous Attendant -- "In spite of the harsh realities of palace life, Liu Dai conducts himself according to his nature: with kindness and benevolence."
    liu xie -- Former Emperor -- "While no longer leading their people, they still strive to bring peace to the land."
    liu yan -- Opportunistic Ruler -- "Some men just want to watch the world burn, while others use the opportunities placed before them."
    liu yao -- Welcoming Magistrate -- "Liu Yao appears to be a 'yes' man, but is nevertheless known for his staunch incorruptibility."
    liu yu -- Prosperous Trader -- Liu Yu's rapport with foreigners and minorities has enabled him to amass considerable wealth from trade.
    liu zhang -- Proponent of Peace -- "A timid and suspicious noble, Liu Zhang displays a willingness to avoid war, even if that means surrender."
    lu bu -- Warrior Without Equal -- "With unpredictable loyalty and unsurpassed martial skill, Lü Bu is the most dangerous warrior beneath the heavens."
    lu fan -- Go Master -- Go is not just an abstract game of strategy --it is a measure of one's aptitude in tactical forethought.
    lu meng -- Late Scholar -- "Despite becoming literate late on in his career, Lü Meng has proved himself a most able scholar."
    lu su -- Charitable Envoy -- "Ever the philanthropic diplomat, Lu Su's affluence empowers his charitable nature."
    lu xun -- Scholar General -- "Equal parts brains and brawn, Lu Xun can oversee both civil and military matters."
    ma chao -- Most-brilliant Warrior -- "With a complexion like jade and eyes like shooting stars, Ma Chao is a warrior truly brilliant in appearance."
    ma dai -- Fraternal Warrior -- There are few things more important to Ma Dai than bloodline and family.
    ma teng -- Protector of the West -- "Ma Teng may treat his friends well, but he remains merciless with the Han's enemies."
    mi zhu -- Dependable Administrator -- "In these interesting times of fluctuating allegiances, the steadfast loyalty of Mi Zhu can always be relied upon."
    pang de -- White Horse General -- "Pang De is an unrelenting force, whose avowed enemies know they must face him sooner or later."
    pang tong -- Fledgling Phoenix -- "Having risen from the ashes of obscurity, the 'Crown of Learned Men' is an advisor of the highest esteem."
    pei yuanshao -- Virtuous Outrider -- "Whether in charge of brigands or soldiers, one must lead by example, always riding at the head of the host."
    shi xie -- King Shi -- "With his long and distinguished record of sophisticated service, Shi Xie is destined for stately eminence."
    sima yi -- Silver Eminence -- "If you cannot fight, defend. If you cannot defend, flee. If you cannot flee, surrender. If you cannot surrender, die!"""""
    sun ce -- The Little Conqueror -- "Sun Ce has been likened to the warrior-kings of old, with an aptitude for military leadership that belies his youth."
    sun jian -- Tiger of Jiangdong -- "Claiming ancestry with the renowned military strategist Sun Tzu, the fearless Sun Jian has war flowing through his veins."
    sun qian -- Upstanding Loyalist -- Sun Qian's word is an unwavering bond.
    sun quan -- Emerald-eyed Administrator -- "Striking looks and a sturdy frame betokens Sun Quan's great nobility, heroism and longevity."
    taishi ci -- of Exceptional Dexterity -- "From horse-riding to archery, Taishi Ci excels in all manner of physical pursuits."
    tao qian -- of the Sincere Jurisdiction -- "Tao Qian may be a highly influential and ambitious figure, but expansionism is not on his personal agenda."
    wang lang -- Ardent Educator -- "A keen imparter of knowledge, even when it is neither wanted nor welcome."
    wang xiu -- The Righteous Hero -- "Never can it be said that Wang Xiu was ever disloyal, dishonourable or unwilling to come to the aid of those he serves."
    wei yan -- Disobedient Tiger -- "For the distrustful Wei Yan, a violent betrayal always simmers below the surface."
    wen chou -- Fierce Firebrand -- "If only Wen Chou were here, I'd have nothing to fear!"""""
    xiahou dun -- Hotheaded Officer -- Those who know Xiahou Dun know not to get on his bad side.
    xiahou dun 2 -- The One-eyed Exile -- "You really don't want to know what he did with his eye after losing it to that arrow..."""""
    xiahou yuan -- Maker of Ways -- "When it comes to military logistics, where there's a will, Xiahou Yuan has a way."
    xu chu -- Tiger Fool -- "Xu Chu is a man of simple thoughts and principles, but an impressive warrior who fights with a bestial rage."
    xu huang -- Guardian of the Gates -- "When assigned to guardianship, Xu Huang is an immovable sentinel, requiring a tremendous effort to bypass."
    xu shu -- Disguised Diplomat -- "His body may be in one place, but his heart is in quite another."
    xun you -- Gentleman Attendant -- "A member of the learned scholar-gentry, Xun You is a profound thinker of great insight."
    xun yu -- Hegemon's Aide -- "Here comes my Zifang!"""""
    yan liang -- Valiant Vanguard -- "A foremost general of considerable military prowess, the gutsy Yan Liang is unmatched among ordinary warriors."
    yu jin -- Enforcer of the Law -- "As an imperious, by-the-book disciplinarian, Yu Jin rules his subordinates with fear and drilled-in obedience."
    yuan shao -- Preeminent Commander -- "Yuan Shao's astuteness, dignity and arrogance are the mark of his ancestors, many of whom served emperors past."
    yuan shu -- Ambitious Powermonger -- Yuan Shu is an ambitious but overconfident individual --time will tell whether such qualities shall trip him or aid his desires.
    yue jin -- The Lion of Yangping -- "What Yue Jin lacks in stature he makes up for in fierceness, fearlessness, and deadliness with his bow."
    zhang chao -- Flowing Calligrapher -- Such graceful skills with ink and brush are the mark a man of great education and scholarly puissance.
    zhang fei -- Drunken Brawler -- "Hold my wine..."""""
    zhang he -- Courageous General -- Zhang He's fearlessness enables him to retain his composure when having to adapt to unfavourable situations.
    zhang kai -- Slayer of Tyrants -- "The unjust rulers of the old regime shall perish."""""
    zhang liao -- The Heavenly Dragon General -- "The model of professionalism and organisation, Zhang Liao has heavenly leadership skills."
    zhang lu -- Celestial Master -- "Just as water penetrates mountains, Zhang Lu always seeks to overcome hardness by his own accord."
    zhang yan -- King of Black Mountain -- "With his scores of followers, the bandit leader known as 'Flying Swallow' wields the influence of a king."
    zhang yang -- Ignored Warlord -- What is the fate of he who is forsaken and unjustly distrusted by his fellow warlords\? Only heaven knows.
    zhao yun -- Light in the Dark -- "In the darkest times of war, the auras of the most resplendent warriors gleam brightest."
    zheng jiang -- Bandit Queen -- "Hell-bent on plunder, Zheng Jiang goes to unspeakable lengths to obtain her loot."
    zhou tai -- Man of Many Scars -- "His scar-riddled skin is a canvas of stories, telling of countless bloody battles past."
    zhou yu -- Melodic Strategist -- "If there is a mistake in the tune, Zhou Yu will look up."""""
    zhuge jin -- Bookish Scholar -- "Having studied history and poetry in years past, Zhuge Jin is a man who appreciates scholarship."
    zhuge liang -- Sleeping Dragon -- "A peerless genius and insightful strategist, there are few situations that Zhuge Liang's astute intellect cannot overcome."

The last one is particularly hilarious.
    Last edited by zoner16; May 31, 2019 at 12:29 AM.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

We got new update 1.1.1
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-...SRd_wtT7T6WOT4
    Highlights

• View any faction’s family tree at any time with the new UI in the Family Tree tab
    • New faction-wide effects from satisfaction to give the mechanic more impact
    • Several improvements to make marriages easier to arrange, especially in the late game

Improved Features

• We’ve added the ability view the family trees for all factions. This feature is accessible from the Family Tree tab, where you’ll find a new menu on the right-hand side
      • Use this feature to work out where to disrupt an inheritance line, check on which factions have marital bonds, or keep an eye on your adopted spy
      • Please note that, as per their playstyle, Yellow Turbans don’t have family trees

• Satisfaction now has more importance. Your court having an overall high or low satisfaction now results in the following faction-wide bonuses or debuffs:
      • High Satisfaction overall: Lower corruption and more supplies
      • Low Satisfaction overall: Slower XP gain, less military supplies, and higher corruption
      • You’ll find your overall satisfaction level in the top left-hand corner, underneath the court and diplomacy icons

• The gender of newborn babies is now accurately weighted to 50/50
      • This should make it easier to continue family lines and to organise marriages in the mid to late game

• You can now arrange marriage for any single members of your court
      • This costs 4000 gold each time and can be performed on any court members, family or not

• There will now be more historical and fewer random characters spawning into the world
    • We’ve made some visual improvements to Sun Ren and Zheng Jian’s face models
    • We’ve updated the offensive word filter for the multiplayer leaderboards and lobby names

Bug Fixes

• You will no longer get an Untrustworthy penalty when protecting vassals
    • AI will not retreat while in Forced March stance
    • You now won’t take attrition damage on the same turn as being besieged
    • Fixed a lock where you could get stuck on the Declaration of War screen when in a coalition
    • The AI are no longer able to attack other factions (and you) while in Forced March
    • To more accurately mirror their historical counterparts, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei will no longer betray their sworn brother, Liu Bei
      • Alongside this, Guan Yu will never betray anyone

• Increased the number of characters the Yellow Turbans factions acquire to prevent them running out in the late game
    • The spouse symbol will no longer appear for divorced characters
    • Mediating peace for your vassal no longer causes you to declare war on the faction instead
    • Female names will no more be bestowed on male characters
    • Fixed a few missing text scenarios
    • Resolved a few factual errors around Kong Rong’s father’s name and age
    • Fixed an audio issue with many hero armour sets not making the right sound when hit
    • Fixed the text implying that the Han will declare independence if you refuse their call for aid
    • Fixed a crash when trying to watch a replay of a battle on a downloaded map when the player who downloaded the map quits the game and then reloads it
    • Stopped downloads of modded maps causing the game to go unresponsive for a long time
    • Fixed an issue where, after downloading a map, players would be split into separate lobbies

Exploit Fixes

• Fixed an exploit allowing more than three generals in multiplayer ranked battles
    • You can no longer exploit the marriage system for income
    • You cannot use the Best Friends reputation for free money
    • Fixed the infinite money through rounding exploit
    • You can no longer buy certain territories and immediately sell them back for more
    • You can no longer continually divorce new spouses and use them to initiate new marriages and generate infinite characters

Plus we got info about possible DLC - Eight Princes (Releases August 8th), there were youtube video, it is no longer working..trying to find copy
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...age_total_war/
    EDIT: well that escalated quickly...

We got Steam page, 8 EU for pre-order
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Eight_Princes/

About This Content

Total War: THREE KINGDOMS – Eight Princes Chapter Pack

• New campaign set 100 years after the Three Kingdoms period began
    • Eight new playable princes with substantially different playstyles…
    • Supported by unique buildings, assignments and court options
    • New elite units: pummel your foe with mighty cataphracts!
    • Shape your faction development with four new alignments: Wealth, Spirit, Might, and Mind
    • Key public order and faction-rank changes to reflect this unique conflict

The year is 291 CE, and a generation has passed since the tumultuous events of the Three Kingdoms period began. Despite the tripartite division of power which brought the conflict to a stalemate, and the brief unification of the kingdoms under the Jin dynasty, civil war is no more than a heartbeat away.

For the Jin is a dynasty divided. Its many ruling princes are hungry for greater power, each with ambitions – and methods – of their own. Eight stand above all others… will they rally to their emperor and empress? Or carve a legacy for themselves that will echo through the ages?

The Eight Princes Chapter Pack is set 100 years after the events of Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, and features a new cast of playable factions led by the foremost princes of the Jin Dynasty. These Eight Princes offer feature substantially different campaign mechanics, focussing their playstyles in fascinating and unique ways

Playable princes

Each of the eight playable princes adhere to the five core character classes of the base game, and have their own sets of campaign mechanics which strongly focus their gameplay style.

Sima Yong: the shrewd defender

Class: Vanguard
    Playstyle focus: defence and infrastructure

Unique units:

• Xianbei Horse Archers (harassers, high rate of fire and mobility)
    • Xianbei Riders (shock cav, excellent charge bonuses)

Sima Yong has a particular focus on defence and infrastructure. All garrisoned armies increase reserves and faction support, and help to decrease construction costs in his settlements. His unique Military Security building chain improves noble support, income from all sources, boosts prestige and provides additional garrisons. His unique Military Supervision assignment further boosts income from all sources, but at the cost of noble support.

Known for his talent at identifying capable people, Sima Yong has an increased chance for Man Of The Hour events triggering after battles.

Sima Jiong: the imperious regent

Class: Commander
    Playstyle focus: centralised government

Unique units:

• Qi Guardsmen (polearm infantry, good vs cav, excellent armour)
    • Qi Crossbowmen (armoured crossbowmen, excellent vs armoured units)

Sima Jiong’s unique resource is Control, which increases noble support and decreases corruption. Control is generated by the faction leader, and through military successes, but is lost through military losses and the assignment of ministers at court. To combat the latter and increase control, Sima Jiong has a unique court action enabling him to cast out powerful characters from ministerial positions.

Sima Jiong’s unique administration building chain generates further control while reducing corruption, and his commanderies have access to a unique Micromanage Commandery assignment, boosting income from all sources and reducing corruption, at the cost of some control.

Sima Yue: the imperial overseer

Class: Sentinel
    Playstyle focus: politics and internal government

Unique units:

• Xu Raiders (assault, shock infantry, good charge)
    • Warriors of Xu (Frontline axe infantry, high health, good missile defence)

Sima Yue’s unique resource, Influence, decreases construction costs and time and increases his faction’s research rate. It is generated through special assignments in his commanderies, and lost through military defeats. It also decays naturally over time.

His unique Labour economic building chain boosts population growth and reduces construction costs. His court also features two unique ministerial positions: the military emissary which reduces recruitment costs and enables the Military Interference assignment, and the Provincial Advisor, which reduces corruption and enables the Provincial Inspection assignment.

Sima Ai: the principled administrator

Class: Champion
    Playstyle focus: internal development

Unique units:

• Infantry of Jing (polearm infantry, anti-cav, good morale and armour)
    • Archers of Jing (excellent ranged damage, high ammunition)

Sima Ai’s unique resource is Reformation, which improves trade influence and research speed, while reducing corruption. Reformation is generated by settlement development, as Sima Ai’s unique Reformed Infrastructure trait means that buildings in commandery capitals influence the increase – and decrease – of Reformation.

To further enhance Reformation, Sima Ai’s faction also has access to two unique commandery assignments. Restructure Administration boosts Reformation gain and any Reformation gains from commandery buildings, while Regulate Markets decreases Reformation, but enhances income from commerce, silk and spices.

Sima Ying: the beloved governor

Class: Strategist
    Playstyle focus: characters

Unique units:

• Qiang Hunters (Horse archers, good skirmishers, good melee, fatigue immunity)
    • Qiang Marauders (shock cavalry, flankers, fatigue immunity, poor defence vs missile)
    • Qiang Raiders (melee cavalry, flankers, fatigue immunity, poor defence vs spears)

Sima Ying’s court differs from all others, as characters who are assigned to any ministerial position grant factionwide effects – a trait normally reserved only for the prime minister, heir and faction leader. Assigning a smart combination of characters to Sima Ying’s court can therefore have a powerful and wide-ranging impact.

Sima Ying also has access to a stronger variant of the Government Support agricultural building chain, which grants extra bonuses to income from peasantry and food production from farms in the same commandery.

Sima Lun: the usurper prince

Class: Commander
    Playstyle focus: espionage and diplomacy

Unique units:

• Xiongnu Cavalry: (Shock cav, excellent charge)
    • Xiongnu Cataphracts (assault, excellent charge, excellent armour)

Sima Lun’s unique faction resource is Subterfuge, and his playstyle is heavily dependent on deception and espionage. Sima Lun has extra spy slot available from the start of the campaign, and generates his unique resource through the actions performed by his spies. Subterfuge can be spent on inciting proxy wars, performing diplomatic deceptions, and increasing the effectiveness of the faction’s undercover network. Subterfuge is also generated Sima Lun’s unique Judiciary administration building chain, which also improves income from family estates.

Sima Liang: the rightful regent

Class: Champion
    Playstyle focus: lawful rule

Unique units:

• Imperial Guards (frontline infantry, excellent defence)

Sima Liang’s faction has a unique government type called Domain, which restricts the number of counties which can be governed without incurring penalties. However, his faction also has access to the unique resource of Jurisdiction, which increases his faction’s maximum domain size, and greatly increases income from the faction leader’s estates, replenishment, and the chance to capture characters. The main source for Jurisdiction is factions who submit to his leadership through a unique Cooperation vassalage treaty. Jurisdiction is also generated through Judiciary administration building chain, which also fights corruption.

Sima Wei: the tempestuous general

Class: Vanguard
    Playstyle focus: aggressive expansion

Unique units:

• Chu Infantry (assault, strong VS infantry)
    • Chu Spearmen (anti-cav, strong VS armoured cav)

Sima Wei’s unique faction resource is Fury, and is generated through military victories and conquest options. Fury reduces unit upkeep, increases replenishment, and impacts the diplomatic attitudes of other factions towards Sima Wei. Fury decays over time, so maintaining military momentum is the key to success with Sima Wei. But he also has some tempting tools to release his Fury and to show his generous side: he has two unique administration assignments – Reward the Nobility, which boosts support from nobles, and Rally Conscripts, which further enhances replenishment.

Sima Wei also has a unique court action – Present Gift – which improves the recipient character’s relationship with him.

Sima Wei’s Conscription military building chain brings higher starting ranks for new recruits, a bonus to seasonal retinue deployment, a boost to replenishment and a reduction in redeployment costs.

Faction advancement

A prince’s faction ranks differ from those of the warlords of the Three Kingdoms period, advancing from minor prince to grand prince, then imperial prince.

You also now have the choice of whether to pursue the emperorship for yourself, or preserve the existing emperor and rule as his regent. Your choice between these two positions is based very closely on the alignments paths you choose to follow throughout the campaign.Alignments

The alignments system grants new choices in how you shape your faction over time. The four alignments – Wealth, Spirit, Might and Mind – all grant different bonuses, and their adoption is driven by a wealth of bespoke new events and dilemmas. As your association with specific alignments grows, you’ll begin to encounter events and dilemmas themed specifically around those alignments.

Your alignments also inform the dilemma you’ll face when you capture the emperor. The outcome of this dilemma in turn defines whether you ascend to the highest faction rank of Emperor or Regent.

Each alignment grants increasing bonuses to aspects of your faction:
    Wealth: Increasing your faction’s alignment with this aspect offers rising bonuses to income, trade and prestige.

• Spirit: Increasing your faction’s alignment with this aspect grants rising bonuses to your faction’s food production, diplomatic relations, noble support and prestige.
    • Might: Increasing your faction’s alignment with Might brings factionwide bonuses to your armies’ campaign movement range, mustering times, retinue upkeep and prestige.
    • Mind: Increasing your faction’s alignment with the Mind boosts character experience gains, your faction’s research rate, available administrator positions and prestige.

Noble Support

The war of the 8 Princes was largely a struggle for supremacy among the nobility. To reflect this, public order is now known as noble support. Low noble support will cause a rebellious noble-led army to spawn.

However, the sources of positive and negative noble support throughout your infrastructure are thematically very different to public order, as the aristocracy’s needs and desires are different to those of the people. Maintaining stability through noble support will depend on different building choices to the Three Kingdoms period. Likewise, unlike public order in the base game, growing commandery populations do not have a negative impact on noble support.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 18, 2019 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Gifs.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

SteamDB got new unknown DLC entry just 20 minutes ago.
    https://steamdb.info/app/779340/dlc/

New blogpost from CA with development stuff: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/develo...pdate-blog-02/
    THREE KINGDOMS

We released our most successful Total War ever this year, with Three Kingdoms selling more copies at launch than any previous title. We were excited to welcome so many new players from China, and incredibly proud and honoured that they thought we’d made such an entertaining game inspired by the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

It was also a proud moment when we realised we had stellar sales in the west as well. A real moment of vindication for the team who worked so hard to embrace a new era and culture, shake up some really fundamental TW systems, and deliver a new gameplay landmark in the series.

We were also excited to touch on a later and fascinating period for our first DLC, Eight Princes, but we’re really aware that players were looking for something else, and so we’re currently working hard on our mid-term, post-launch plans for the game with a view to doing more of what the community is feeding back to us on.

We still like the idea of Chapter Packs that explore other chapters of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, though the next one will be more recognisable to the majority of players. We’re also working on DLC that adds significantly to the main campaign and are continuing to look at how that might develop and grow into some much bigger DLCs over time.

Yes absolutely, the Nanman are coming. Before then over the next year though, we’ll be visiting the era of the Yellow Turban Rebellion and Liang Province rebellion, and then the clash of Cao Cao vs Lü Bu in the central plains. And before that, there’s a free update coming in October.

Certain characters will be getting new, unique artwork for the main campaign, alongside a number of fixes and balances. We’re also aware that changes to how data is organised for 3K are causing some additional problems with mods when we update the game, and we’re looking at ways to solve or reduce this problem.

Details aside, this is really just the beginning for Three Kingdoms. In the long term, we have some very grand plans which will encompass a whole timeline of events, conflicts and characters throughout the period. Nothing‘s set in stone yet; as mentioned, we’re still in the process of taking on board feedback from players around the world. But you can be sure, a few years down the line, that Three Kingdoms will evolve from the great game it is now to something vastly more epic.

New patchnotes for October update
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-...s-patch-1-3-0/

ENGLISH

The 1.3.0 update is the next major update for Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, and fixes a lot of issues raised by the community as well introducing new Legendary characters, multiplayer battle balance fixes, a rework of the Commander Archetype, and adjustments to the unit versus Hero balance in Romance mode.
    HOW TO GET THE UPDATE

This update is offered as an opt-in beta as we continue to work on further fixes and improvements, and includes the previous beta update changes (which can viewed here). To get the update, please follow these instructions:

1. Right-click on Total War: THREE KINGDOMS in your Steam library
    2. Click Properties and click the Betas tab
    3. In the drop-down menu, select the update_1.3.0_beta option
    4. Close the window and your build will automatically update

NEW LEGENDARY CHARACTERS

• Guo Jia, Huang Gai, Jia Xu, Pang Tong are now legendary characters
      • They will appear with unique artwork in campaign and battles
      • They are also now accessible in custom and multiplayer battles
      • Guo Jia and Jia Xu now have unique recruitment events with unique trigger events
        • Guo Jia has a chance to join the player if they currently employ Xun Yu
        • Jia Xu has a chance to join the player’s faction if it is considerably more prestigious than his current faction

GUO JIA

Guo Jia was Cao Cao’s finest strategist. He predicted Sun Ce’s death and helped Cao Cao to conquer the northern territories of China. If it weren’t for his untimely death, it’s possible that Guo Jia would have helped Cao Cao to unite all of China. After the battle of the Red Cliffs, Cao Cao remarked: “If Guo Fengxiao was around, I wouldn’t have ended up like this.”
    HUANG GAI

Huang Gai was an intelligent warrior who played a key role in the Battle of the Red Cliffs. Huang Gai was described as having a stern and serious appearance and was known to be a strong disciplinarian. Every time he went into battle, the men under him would compete fiercely to earn his respect. Huang Gai was unfailingly loyal to the Sun family, and followed them from his early days.
    JIA XU

A deeply cunning figure, Jia Xu came closest to slaying Cao Cao at the Battle of Wancheng. Cao Cao was saved as Dian Wei performed his heroic last stand, and Cao Ang gave his horse to his father, enabling him to escape.
    PANG TONG

Known as the Fledgling Phoenix, Pang Tong is a brilliant military strategist who equals Zhuge Liang. One of his greatest tricks was to persuade Cao Cao to link up his ships at The Battle of the Red Cliffs.
    BUG FIXES

CHARACTERS

• Fix for Huang Zhong’s passive skill Swift Fingers not affecting Huang Zhong
    • Fixed Cheng Pu and Zhu Zhi so the correct Chinese characters are used in their names
    • Corrected the birth years for Jian Yong, Yuan Shao, Huang Gai, Yuan Shu, Wang Yun, Lu Zhi, Guan Ping, Liu Feng
    • He Yi can now equip common grade weapons
    • Lu Ji in the Eight Princes campaign now correctly gets formations
    • Berserk effect of Sun Ce’s Blood Fury now works correctly
    • The background traits for Dian Wei, Lady Sun, Pei Yuanshao, Zhang Kai, and He Man now correctly give resilience
    • Dong Zhuo’s character screen now correctly states he can only equip one-handed swords
    • Ma Teng’s sons Ma Xiu and Ma Tie are now part of his family tree
    • Made improvements to Guan Yu’s face
    • Xun Yu is sick of being beaten up by Zheng Jiang and has joined Han Fu’s faction
    • Xun Yu has gained a fondness for Cao Cao’s faction, making him more likely to appear in his recruitment pool
    • Xun Yu now starts with Guo Jia as an acquaintance
    • Added recruitment event for Yue Jin when playing as Cao Cao

CAMPAIGN

• Huang Shao’s faction ability Instill Heroism now works correctly
    • Fixed an issue that caused the campaign map would appear blank. This fix should apply to existing save games
    • Fixed some errors in the ancillary spawning script
    • Reduced the frequency of Uncommon Talent events spawning
    • Adjusted siege escalation effect values so fewer buildings are damaged the in first turn of siege
    • Fixed an issue where the early mission bonus to peasantry wasn’t being applied correctly
    • Ma Teng’s bonus to shock cavalry damage now applies correctly
    • The Yellow Turban event Enlightened Guidance now trigger correctly
    • Yellow Turban factions no longer lose bonuses for ascending to Emperor immediately
    • Added a bonus to morale to the Fortress item set
    • Constellation item set requires Warblade now instead of two-handed axes
    • Dragon’s Storm item set now requires Waking Dragon instead of Slayer’s Skin, a dummy item
    • Fixed replenishment effect on the Water Clock item
    • Fixed an issue when the faction potential of AI-controlled Cao Cao and Liu Bei could get too high and they would lose their bonuses
    • Changed descriptions for Sima Lun, Sima Jiong, Sima Yong, and Sima Ying’s diplomatic personalities so they no longer refer to characters from the main campaign
    • Improved the display of tax rate and corruption to be much clearer
    • Some Yellow Turban missions will no longer cancel on faction rank-up
    • Fixed an issue where Yellow Turbans could not quit/kick from coalitions or quit/kick from alliances at same time they gained the ability to join them

BATTLE

• Repeating Crossbow firing animations no longer break

MULTIPLAYER BATTLE BALANCE PASS

To address various problems in Ranked Multiplayer, Heroes have seen an overall balance pass. Instead of reducing the effectiveness of abilities, most have simply seen additional counters or more restrictions being added to when their abilities can be used. Alongside this, Heroes can now only be chosen once, further reducing the ability for stronger Hero abilities to be abused through choosing the same Hero two or three times.

• Players can no longer pick a Hero more than once in Ranked Multiplayer
    • Balance pass for Xu Chu and Sima Yi
      • To fix the two main offenders (Xu Chu and Sima Yi), Xu Chu now only buffs nearby Heroes and Sima Yi can now have his map-wide ability more effectively countered
      • Xu Chu’s Condemned Howl now needs Xu Chu to have 20% health left (down from 50%), applies Unbreakable, and no longer decreases armour
      • Stalwart Defender increased melee damage reduction to 80% (up from 50%) but no longer applies to Xu Chu and has a range of 35m
      • Sima Yi’s White Water can no longer be used when hidden, routing, in combat or under fire, allowing the player to more effectively counter his map wide shutdown of enemy abilities
      • Balance pass for all Heroes

• Poison Blade: Added initial wind-up time of 10 seconds. Reduced initial damage by 25%
    • Heart Seeker: Added initial wind-up time of 10 seconds
    • Devastating Roar: Added a 15-second timer to Sun Ce’s Devastating Roar so that it no longer gives -50 morale for the rest of the match
    • Desperate Cry: now usable only when the enemy force is stronger
    • Rage of Lu Bu: Increased cooldown effect to 120 seconds
    • Final Rush: now available only when the vanguard has 50% or less health, and not at the end phase, and now multiplies charge damage by 1.5
    • Cry of the Forest: Increased Cry of the Forest ability to 500% melee and AP damage, now also causes Terror
    • Inward Focus: Increased the active time of Inward Focus to 60 seconds
    • Wildfire: Wildfire has additional charge speed and mass, while the phase times have been reduced
    • Fixed a localisation bug where Mighty Knockback was missing its Y
    • Hail of Arrows: Doubled the damage of Hail of Arrows
    • Rework of multiplayer Hero costs
      • Increased Hero costs for Lu Bu, Sima Yi, Xu Chu, Sun Ce, Gong Du, Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Cao Cao, Ma Teng, Xu Huang, Huang Zhu, Zhang Liao, and Zheng Jiang
      • Decreased costs of Liu Zhang, Tao Qian, Yue Jin, Gan Ning, Kong Rong, Liu Biao, Han Sui, and Zhuge Liang

• Battle duel effects: Morale reduction from duel loss is now -15 (down from 25), morale gain from duel win reduced to +25 (down from +50)
    • Capped melee evasion to always allow a 4% chance to hit (1 in 25 chance on average), stopping passive or continuous buffs from making units invulnerable to melee damage

COMMANDER ARCHETYPE REWORK

In response to community feedback, Commanders now have a more defined purpose and broader unit rosters. Commanders now play a deliberately versatile and generalised role, giving them access to a wide variety of unit choices from all element rosters and a range of formations when commanding an army. This allows them to emulate any Hero Archetype role, but to a lesser extent than specific archetypes.

• Improved Commanders by increasing their versatility:
      • Sabre Infantry, Ji Infantry, Spear Guards, Archers, and Crossbowmen have been added to the Commander’s roster
      • Commanders can now apply formations. In custom and multiplayer battles, these formations apply only to the Commander’s own retinue. In campaigns, these formations only apply if the Commander is commanding the entire army
      • All Commanders now have the Encourage attribute, which is tied to the Nobility skill in campaign
      • Increased morale bonus from the General/Hero version of Encourage to 10 (from 2) to make it higher than the morale bonus given from units with the same attribute

UNIT VERSUS HERO BALANCE

To make Romance mode a more competitive format, we’ve made some changes so that a well-commanded army can counter powerful Heroes. Now, well-positioned spear infantry and shield-walled infantry can dismount Heroes, reducing their mobility. We’ve also made changes to make Heroes more vulnerable to archer fire, adding additional risk to dismounted Heroes.

• Heroes now become dismounted when charging polearm infantry or infantry in a shield wall. They will not be able to use their mount again until the next battle
    • Missile units are now more accurate against Heroes
    • Hero missile deflect reduced.
      • Low-level Hero deflect reduced from 25 to 10
      • Mid-level Hero deflect reduced from 50 to 25
      • Elite-level Hero deflect reduced from 60 to 40

• Slight decrease in accuracy to bows targeting heroes to counter their higher missile vulnerability

MISCELLANEOUS CHANGES

• Spear Guard, Heavy Spear Guard, Infantry of Jing, and Imperial Defenders now have access to the Spear Wall formation
    • Spear Wall and Pike Wall now correctly apply charge reflect, shield wall now applies charge negation versus mounted
    • Perimeter tower damage increased slightly to improve AI ability to defend non-walled settlements and military camps. It now has 100 damage and 500 AP damage (changed from 200 damage and 100 AP damage)
    • Fatigue changes
      • Fatigue reduced in Records mode to 25 from 30
      • Increased fatigue recovery when idle to -25 from -14
      • Increased fatigue recovery when idle in rain to -12 from -6
      • Increased fatigue recovery when idle in snow to -8 from -2
      • Increased fatigue recovery when ready to -22 from -14
      • Increased fatigue recovery while walking to -10 from -1

• Morale:
      • Armies will now take greater losses before they begin to suffer negative morale effects from army destruction

Last edited by Daruwind; September 26, 2019 at 11:56 AM.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Only 4 more legendary characters? That’s just pitifully sad...
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

It would be nicer if they develop the "records mode" to actually be more based on records. I also think if they only going to release DLCs that hang around the 3K period, they are going to piss off the fan base. The sales will fall. You cannot inundate the market that way; ToB should had taught them that lesson.

CA's plans for 3K as of mid-September:

We were excited to touch on a later and fascinating period for our first DLC, Eight Princes, but we’re really aware that players were looking for something else, and so we’re currently working hard on our mid-term, post-launch plans for the game with a view to doing more of what the community is feeding back to us on.

We still like the idea of Chapter Packs that explore other chapters of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, though the next one will be more recognisable to the majority of players. We’re also working on DLC that adds significantly to the main campaign and are continuing to look at how that might develop and grow into some much bigger DLCs over time.
    Yes absolutely, the Nanman are coming. Before then over the next year though, we’ll be visiting the era of the Yellow Turban Rebellion and Liang Province rebellion, and then the clash of Cao Cao vs Lü Bu in the central plains. And before that, there’s a free update coming in October.

Grace just confirmed there will be new DLC this year. :-)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...dlc_this_year/