Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: History channels.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: YouTube History Channels

One of my favourite channels - Mark Felton Productions - comes up with some incredible unknown parts of WW2.

Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Default Re: YouTube History Channels

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    I've decided to become a supporter of one of the channels - specifically TimeGhost, who produces World War 2 - as I feel they've done a fabulous amount of work so far and they deserve the support.

www.timeghost.tv

Suggest you guys do the same with your favourite channels
    Good group here. They did WW1 in which I watched episodes here and there. They also did a Between the Wars series which was very goodd.

One of my favourite channels - Mark Felton Productions - comes up with some incredible unknown parts of WW2.

Mark Felton has a good reputation over on the Il2 Stumovik forum as well. I watched some of this videos as well. Good stuff.

Default Re: Kings and Generals, Youtube channel about historical battles

Also - since the threads were merged, can this thread be renamed to something like YouTube History Channels? And maybe, you know... stickied?

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: History channels.

Holy crap this is so bad. Where did they even get their information?

The political details are wrong. The actual video is COMPLETELY wrong.

This was an operation carried out by Shibata Katsuie and Maeda Toshiie, I don't know that Hideyoshi was even involved in this campaign. The actual battle was a short engagement fought in the Tedori River in which Shibata ordered his forces to cross, and were pushed back by Uesugi Kenshin. The Oda armies took maybe 1000 casualties. Nobunaga was not present during the battle because he had been all the way in Kyoto, sending an army under his son Nobutada to put down a rebellion by Matsunaga Hisahide in Yamato province, also making sure that the Mori clan would not push into Settsu.

Nobunaga did eventually go to the north east to reinforce Shibata but by then the battle of Tedori River had already taken place. Nobunaga ordered Shibata to withdraw back into Echizen and Kaga. They still had enough troops to carry out an anti-insurgency campaign against the Ikko Ikki rebels which were doing damage behind Shibata's lines. Now in the campaign Uesugi Kenshin might have had 20,000 to 30,000 men. Shibata likely only had the same amount, I don't see why Shibata would even have 50,000 men, that sounds pretty absurd.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 18, 2020 at 02:33 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Another channel that has come to my attention is Caspian Report. He's normally busy with geopolitical analyses, which I personally find rather insightful, but he also does some historical videos from time to time. Unfortunately, he's not very experienced on the subject and it shows: In his video about the origins of the Taliban, he repeated the long-debunked myth about the toy mines, while in his recent description of the Muslim Brotherhood, he claimed that the president Anwar Sadat was assassinated by the Muslim Brotherhood. In reality, the perpetrators belonged to the Egyptian Islamic Jihad, which was never affiliated with the more moderate Brotherhood. Neither of these mistakes undermines his main points, but they were pretty elementary. Even a cursory glance would have revealed the truth. I really like the guy, I enjoy his style, realistic perspective and quite impartial interpretations (he's a bit biased in favour of Azerbaijan and liberal economics), but he should dedicate more time in properly collecting data for his historical presentations.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post

Holy crap this is so bad. Where did they even get their information?

The political details are wrong. The actual video is COMPLETELY wrong.

This was an operation carried out by Shibata Katsuie and Maeda Toshiie, I don't know that Hideyoshi was even involved in this campaign. The actual battle was a short engagement fought in the Tedori River in which Shibata ordered his forces to cross, and were pushed back by Uesugi Kenshin. The Oda armies took maybe 1000 casualties. Nobunaga was not present during the battle because he had been all the way in Kyoto, sending an army under his son Nobutada to put down a rebellion by Matsunaga Hisahide in Yamato province, also making sure that the Mori clan would not push into Settsu.

Nobunaga did eventually go to the north east to reinforce Shibata but by then the battle of Tedori River had already taken place. Nobunaga ordered Shibata to withdraw back into Echizen and Kaga. They still had enough troops to carry out an anti-insurgency campaign against the Ikko Ikki rebels which were doing damage behind Shibata's lines. Now in the campaign Uesugi Kenshin might have had 20,000 to 30,000 men. Shibata likely only had the same amount, I don't see why Shibata would even have 50,000 men, that sounds pretty absurd.
    So I went and did some research on the 1577 campaign in the Hokuriku region and this is what I found in Shinchokoki.

"On the 8th day of the Eighth Lunar Month, Nobunaga sent an army under Shibata Katsuie into the north. Takikawa Kazumasu, Hashiba Hideyoshi, Niwa Nagahide, Saito Shingo, Ujiie Naomichi, Kanamori Nagachika, Ando Morinari, Inaba Yoshimichi, Fuwa Kawachi no Kami, Maeda Toshiie, Sassa Narimasa, Hara Nagayori, and the Wakasa province warriors invaded Kaga province. They forced the Soe and Tedori Rivers, burnt down the villages of Komatsu, Motoori, Ataka, Togashi and other places, and established their base of operations on that side of the river. There was disagreement between Hashiba Hideyoshi and the commander Shibata Katsuie. Hashiba Hideyoshi broke camp and withdrew without notice, arousing the sovereign's wrath. Nobunaga said "this is a criminal action", to Hideyoshi's distress...

On the 1st day of the Tenth Lunar Month, the lord's son Oda Nobutada departed Azuchi castle to take the field. He spent the night in general Yamaoka Kagetaka's house. The next day he encamped at Makinoshima. On the 3rd day of the Tenth Lunar Month he advanced upon Shigisan castle. He established his headquarters and burned down the entire castle town, then settled in his camp.

Meanwhile the forces sent by Nobunaga to Kaga province laid the crops throughout that province to waste. Shibata Katsuie had Gokozuka fortified and put Sakuma Morimasa in command of that fort. Ordering Daisho temple to be fortified also, so that Shibata Katsuie could station troops in both forts. On the 3rd day of the Tenth Lunar Month Nobunaga's forces withdrew from Kaga province.

On the evening of the 10th day of the Tenth Lunar Month, having assigned the various routes of attack to Sakuma, Hashiba Hideyoshi, Koreto and Korezumi, Oda Nobutada stormed Shigisan castle. The assault took place by night. The defenders put up a fight but to no avail. Their bows broken and their arrows spent, the rebel Matsunaga Hisahide set the castle tower alight and perished in the fire...

On the 23rd day of the Tenth Lunar Month, Hashiba Hideyoshi began a campaign into Harima province in the south west..."

The actual battle at Tedorigawa happened around the 23rd day of the Ninth Lunar Month. Although the defeat is not mentioned in the Shinchokoki, from what I can gather part of the defeat might be attributed to Hideyoshi's insubordination and withdrawal. The forces under Shibata Katsuie were forced to contend with both partisan attacks from the Ikko-Ikki fanatics and the forces under Uesugi Kenshin. The second portion I posted shows that after the engagement Shibata Katsuie was putting down the Ikko-Ikki partisans and fortifying positions along the Tedori River, although he lost Kaga province he was able to hold those two forts. Despite angering Nobunaga, for some reason Nobunaga was willing to transfer Hideyoshi to Yamato province in the campaign against Matsunaga Hisahide. Then about ten days after, Nobunaga sent him to command the campaign against the Mori clan in the south west, where Hideyoshi began reducing Harima province. I found it funny how Nobunaga was angry and scolded Hideyoshi but then immediately sent him off to fight in other fronts. Even before being reassigned, Nobunaga apparently allowed him to attend tea ceremonies in the capital.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 20, 2020 at 04:01 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Kings and Generals, Youtube channel about historical battles

Also - since the threads were merged, can this thread be renamed to something like YouTube History Channels? And maybe, you know... stickied?
    Can't comment on any other of their episodes, but the Greek Civil War one was....bad.

Patrician

A lot of these history channels are really bad.

My 2 favourite ones are WW2 / TimeGhost and Mark Felton. I know that they produce high quality content and very rarely there's something off, usually due to mismatching sources and different interpretations.

Also sometimes I follow Kings & Generals for more detailed look at random battles through medieval period.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I consider Epic History TV to be the best of all these channels, but Oda will probably harshly disagree and then I'll have to go run to my room to cry about it.

I mean, just look at the production quality here, way better than Kings and Generals on average. However, Kings and Generals pumps out an absurdly prolific amount of material, about one video every other day on an enormous variety of subjects spanning across various ages and civilizations. Epic History TV is far more niche in their approach, usually sticking to only a single topic over a large range of videos, like the campaigns of Alexander the Great in the Balkans and the Persian Empire, or the Suez Crisis in the 20th century, or the Napoleonic Wars at the very beginning of the modern period.

Check this one out, Oda. You'll probably trash it to pieces as you often do, but give it a try at least.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'd say Historia Civilis is the best in terms of quantity and quality of information. BazBattles, HistoryMarch and Kings and Generals are quick followups. Special mention Invicta and History Time.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I'd say Historia Civilis is the best in terms of quantity and quality of information. BazBattles, HistoryMarch and Kings and Generals are quick followups. Special mention Invicta and History Time.
    I'd also add SandRhoman History.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Check this one out, Oda. You'll probably trash it to pieces as you often do, but give it a try at least.
    Just watched it. I like the narrator's voice, it was more captivating than the usually over-excited description of the majority of Youtubers. Not an expert on Napoleonic history, but I enjoyed his presentation. My only criticisms are that he omitted the engagements near Lyon and Marshal Augereau's questionable behaviour during the 1814 campaign. Marmont is the archetype of ingratitude and treason, but Augereau's attitude was also rather suspicious, to say the least. One inacurracy I detected is their claim over the enthusiastic welcome the Coalition received in Paris. Unlike royalist Bordeaux, which was very negatively affected by the naval blockade, Paris and especially its more popular neighborhoods largely remained indifferent or even hostile to the Czar and his allies. The foreign soldiers were only greeted cheerfully in the notoriously aristocratic district of Saint-Germain. Saint-Germain and its luxurious mansions were pretty much full of elitist nobles anxious to decorate their hats with white cockades and to publicly express their sympathy towards the Bourbon dynasty.

Patrician

I clicked it for two seconds, saw that it was only a 30 minute video. This is already a problem...
    I'll give it a look maybe when I get home tonight or when I wake up tomorrow morning.

I dont know if already mentioned but recently, i have been kinda hooked on the Shogunate channel.

Goes into the Onin War in particular its politics, and battles. But ranges from the mongol invasions, to the set up to the Sengoku jidai, and the Sengoku jidai itself.

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 10, 2020 at 11:27 PM.

Patrician

^ The thread I did on this was way better.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I clicked it for two seconds, saw that it was only a 30 minute video. This is already a problem...
    I'll give it a look maybe when I get home tonight or when I wake up tomorrow morning.
    They don't do a bunch of exposition explaining the entire Napoleonic War at the beginning, though, they basically jump right into things after briefly mentioning what had previously happened. They also have a bunch of videos leading up to this one, naturally, since it is a long series of theirs. They have at least two of them explaining Napoleon's loss at Leipzig, both the lead up to that battle and the four-day battle itself with the retreat back to France.

As for the infamous Kings and Generals, they finally got around to making a video on the Imjin War, which I'm sure they bungle slightly per usual, but I don't have time to watch the whole thing right away. Sharing it here for posterity, though, and so that I don't forget about it:

Patrician

The two channels I do watch on the regular are Bazbattles and Kings & Generals. Although whenever anyone does something on Asia they always get many or all of the information wrong and it... REALLY TRIGGERS ME!!!

See the above HistoryMarche video for more.

Always like listening to Voices of the Past in the background, it's kinda soothing . Don't know how faithful the videos are to the sources.

Quote Originally Posted by krste View Post
    Always like listening to Voices of the Past in the background, it's kinda soothing . Don't know how faithful the videos are to the sources.
    Quoted for truth and plus rep !!!
    For example, a Chinese scholar's account of the Roman Empire:

And, by contrast, a Roman aristocrat's account of the Chinese Empire:

(Note the difference in tone.)

An absolutely lovely history channel providing excellent readings of primary sources in English translations. Not at all averse, by the way, to the prosaic and the mundane which, after all, is the vast majority of history:

Well worth consideration.
    Last edited by skh1; July 13, 2020 at 05:49 PM.

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence