Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated March 4, 2018]

Thank you, Johnadiw26, Admiral Van Tromp (I like your connection between Mascarada and Faramir. Also, I don't blame you for praising pro-active Libya. The Libyan Kingdom is like a loyal, undervalued younger brother for proud Carthage!), Caillagh, Tigellinus, NorseThing (good idea, I'll see if I can write an article on making maps) and Welsh Dragon!

Chapter 10: The Reforms of Hiempsal

When an army from Syracuse approached the Libyan colony at Lilybaeum, no Carthaginians marched to help defend the city. After the defeat of Carthaginian army at Tingis in the west, many prominent families in Carthage mourned the loss of their husbands and sons. Some said that the defeat at Tingis was a sign that the gods were angry at the failure of Carthage, the Faithless City, to march to the aid of Libya.

The defeat at Tingis had other consequences. Money and men were poured into the Carthaginian armies at Tingis. Mascarada, son of Hiempsal, wanted to repay the Libyans for their loyalty. Libyan spearmen were expected to hold the line with only a shield and spear – they lacked armour. However, Hiempsal was stubborn and reluctant to adopt new ways – and he was the senior general.

Mascarada asked his father for guidance, observing that he lacked experience of battle. He asked Hiempsal about the importance of the Libyan spearmen who fought in the front rank. By seeking his father’s advice, Mascarada learned much about leading men – and persuaded his father to equip the Libyan spearmen with armour. To recognise their bravery, they were now known as Libyan hoplites.

This was just the beginning of the reforms for which Hiempsal received the credit. When the armies of Carthage went on the offensive in Iberia, they used new tactics. Instead of sending men to die attempting to storm the walls of Kartuba and Ebora, Carthage’s armies besieged the cities, bombarding the defenders with artillery. A Carthaginian fleet, sent to raid the port of Olisipo, landed its Sacred Band marines who defeated the garrison with the help of ballistae fired from the decks of the fleet’s penteres. The lost cities of Qart Hadasht, Ibossim, Karalis and Lilybaeum had not been regained, but Carthage acquired lands in Iberia.

While Hiempsal’s reforms transformed the armies of Carthage in the west, their armies in central Carthaginian lands had not yet adopted the new equipment and tactics. An army from Syracuse landed and took Lepcis from Libya. Rome, an ally of Syracuse, sent their First Legion to threaten Cyrene. A Carthaginian army, Dido’s Faithful, marching to liberate Lepcis, encountered the army from Syracuse marching towards them.

Dido’s Faithful formed a defensive line in the shelter of trees, knowing that the army of Syracuse had a strong skirmish line of slingers. The right flank of Carthage came under severe pressure, first from the javelins of Tarantine cavalry and then from the hoplites of Syracuse.

At first, the warriors on Carthage’s right flank fell back before this attack. Then the counter-attack came.

Libyan spearmen charged bravely to fill the gap in the Carthaginian line, protecting the Egyptian archers behind them. When the infantry of Syracuse charged the main line of Carthage, the Carthaginian cavalry saw an opportunity to charge the enemy skirmishers.

The army from Syracuse was broken, but Rome’s First Legion would soon be ready to land.
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated March 11, 2018]

Interesting update!

Nice to see your advances in Iberia (and good choice on connecting the victories to Mascarada).

The battle scene was well done! I hope you are met with the same success against Rome.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Nice one! It seems Carthage is on the offensive in Iberia and on the defensive in the Eastern provinces. An interesting two front conflict and I'm sure resources are scarce for both, thugh the map does suggest things are easier in the West. Rome though...will have a lot of resources. Hopefully it's not a situation where you'll have to decide between the two fronts, like before. Keep it up!
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Thanks, Admiral Van Tromp and Darkan! Carthage's forces would struggle against Roman infantry, particularly while Carthage's resources are being spent on a war against the Celtiberian Confederation in Iberia. Things are easier in the west, or at least they seem easier...

Chapter 11: The Army of Ierehei

Instead of landing at Cyrene as expected, Rome’s First Legion sailed away to the north. When the news arrived that Rome and Athens were at war, Carthage’s leaders concluded that this new conflict explained the change of Rome’s strategy. Did this retreat mean that Rome was starting to fear the strength of Carthage or that Romans didn’t see Carthage as a threat? A third possibility was that Rome had decided that Athens was an easier target, after the success of Carthage and Libya in repelling many attacks from Syracuse.

Money and soldiers continued to pour into Carthage’s armies in Iberia. The Friends of the Hundred and Four, an army which had been almost destroyed at Tingis, were re-built by their new general, Ierehei. While Mascarada’s army, the Walls of Byrsa, besieged Quart Hadasht, Ierehei led the Friends of the Hundred and Four north along Iberia’s eastern coast.

Ierehei’s army entered lands belonging to the Edetani, allies of the Celtiberian Confederation, and seized the lightly defended city of Arse. When a Celtiberian force approached, Ierehei’s army adopted a defensive position in the city’s market. The market had only two entrances wide enough for a company of soldiers to use. One entrance was wide, the other narrow. Ierehei sent hoplites to wall off both entrances.

When the Celtiberian force approached, the Carthaginians were not afraid. This Celtiberian force had fewer soldiers. The Carthaginians expected their enemy to make a quick attack and then retreat.

Ierehei sent his Numidian horseman and Carthaginian spear cavalry beyond the protective wall of hoplites. The Numidian horsemen intended to use their javelins to harass the enemy as they retreated; the spear cavalry would protect the Numidian riders. But the enemy did not retreat. They approached the narrower of the two entrances to the market and began a fierce attack on the hoplites defending that entrance.

Then the vanguard of another Celtiberian force was seen in the distance. The Carthaginian cavalry reported that the approaching force outnumbered the defenders.

The Carthaginian riders did their best to harass the larger Celtiberian army as it approached. But the Celtiberians had a strong cavalry contingent of their own, which charged the Carthaginian riders, holding them in place while Celtiberian spear infantry charged. The surviving Carthaginian horsemen fled, seeking safety behind the spears of the hoplites.

Now the enemy’s strategy was clear. The first Celtiberian force was a scouting party. These scouts had taken the opportunity to close the Carthaginians’ escape route, the narrower entrance to the market. The larger army charged the hoplites defending the wide entrance. The hoplites could see that they were badly outnumbered.

Now, the Carthaginian defenders had no way out. When Ierehei heard loud cries from the narrow entrance, he saw that only a few hoplites were holding out there. The enemy had broken through – and, for Ierehei’s army, there was no escape.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated March 18, 2018]

Another good update! Rome's Athenian preoccupations are good news, it seems. Perhaps even an opportunity for something more than some respite in the East?

I look forward to finding out the consequences of Ierehei's grim fate... (The battle was very well done, by the way. I'd say my expectations of its result throughout the description coincided with what the Carthaginians soldiers were feeling in each moment).

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Is this the end for the Friends of the Hundred-and-Four?

The stout defenders of Carthage who heroically fought battle after battle after battle?

I hope not!

Fantastically done, Alwyn!

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Is it as bad as I imagine? If the Friends fall now, Carthage will surely lose momentum. It's a good thing Rome is focused elsewhere, but as the saying goes "there's no smoke without fire". From the tactical pic though I imagine the Friends will be victorious, albeit with heavy casualties.
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Carthage may not be Iberia for long. The battle seems to be a trap devised by a clever commander. The Celtiberian's may be on the move. A carefully planned move. With Rome distracted by a new war further east and this Carthaginian pending defeat, there could be a new force in the Med. Needless to say, I await the next episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    Rome's Athenian preoccupations are good news, it seems. Perhaps even an opportunity for something more than some respite in the East?

I look forward to finding out the consequences of Ierehei's grim fate... (The battle was very well done, by the way. I'd say my expectations of its result throughout the description coincided with what the Carthaginians soldiers were feeling in each moment).
    Thanks! Yes, this could be a chance to take the initiative in the east while Rome is distracted fighting Athens - unless Carthage's leaders become preoccupied with the west, as they did after the defeat at Tingis. I'm happy to hear that your expectations coincided with that Carthage's soldiers felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Is this the end for the Friends of the Hundred-and-Four?

Fantastically done, Alwyn!
    Thank you! Sadly, the Friends had no way out from the trap here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Is it as bad as I imagine? If the Friends fall now, Carthage will surely lose momentum. It's a good thing Rome is focused elsewhere, but as the saying goes "there's no smoke without fire". From the tactical pic though I imagine the Friends will be victorious, albeit with heavy casualties.
    Thanks, Darkan. It's even worse than you imagine! The Friends weren't only defeated, they were destroyed. I think I need to be clearer about which side is which in my pictures, readers might not realise that the warriors in grey or white are Carthaginians and the soldiers in yellow and red are Celtiberians.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Carthage may not be Iberia for long. The battle seems to be a trap devised by a clever commander. The Celtiberian's may be on the move. A carefully planned move. With Rome distracted by a new war further east and this Carthaginian pending defeat, there could be a new force in the Med. Needless to say, I await the next episode!
    Thank you, yes, my reaction too was that the way the two AI armies reacted felt like a clever trap. The Celtiberians are on the move, as are their allies, as you'll see in the next episode...
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 25, 2018 at 07:07 AM.

Chapter 12: Mascarada’s Mistake

After the annihilation of the Friends of the Hundred and Four (one of Carthage’s armies), an emissary from the Edetani offered peace. Hiempsal, shophet of Carthage, pondered this proposal. Once, Hiempsal’s son Mascarada had sought his father’s advice. Now, Hiempsal asked his son for counsel. Mascarada’s advice was simple: the Edetani were allies of the Celtiberian Confederation, Carthage’s main enemy in the west. The Edetani could not be trusted. The Edetani must be trying to buy time to re-build their forces. Hiempsal took his son’s advice and refused the emissary’s offer.

The Edetani emissary had not needed to travel far. Despite the destruction of the Friends of the Hundred and Four, other Carthaginian armies had advanced deeply into Celtiberian territory, taking the northern city of Numantia. But the destruction of one of their armies created a gap in Carthage’s advance – and into this gap marched Celtiberian swordsmen and spearmen.

Hiempsal led the veterans of the People’s Army out from Numantia to meet them. His scouts reported that the Celtiberian force was much smaller than the People’s Army. As the two armies converged, his scouts had more news: beyond the Celtiberian force was a larger Edetani army, marching to reinforce the enemy. Realising that he was outnumbered, Hiempsal hoped to reach a ridge-line of hills east of Numantia for a strong defensive position. But his ballistae moved slowly and he could not leave them behind, they would be needed to force the enemy to attack his defensive position.

When Hiempsal’s troops eventually approached the ridge-line, the small Celtiberian force already occupied the summit. Hiempsal hoped to push the Celtiberians back before the Edetani could arrive.

A yellow and red line of Celtiberians struck hard against the People’s Army. They must have known that they couldn’t win, but they fought bravely.

The People’s Army took the ridge, but too many of them fell.

The larger Edetani army swept up to the ridge-line like an irresistible wave. There were so many of them! Now it was the turn of the Carthaginians to fight bravely, but without hope.

Hiempsal rode back and forth, encouraging his thin line of hoplites. They fought desperately, trying to be the unbreakable wall which Hiempsal needed them to be. But the Carthaginians were tired and had lost many men, while the Edetani were fresh and at full strength.

When the news reached Mascarada of the destruction of the People’s Army and of the death of his father, he realised his mistake. If only he had advised his father to accept the Edetani offer of peace! He could have prevented the Edetani attack which had broken his father’s army. His father could still be alive. Mascarada cursed the terrible choice which he had made, and wished that he could go back and give his father different advice. If only … but there was no going back. Mascarada had to keep going somehow, to be the general his father would have wanted him to be.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated March 25, 2018]

Talk about Hubris and Nemesis...

Mascarada's victories must have gotten to his head. Once, he was too cautious for his father and now he doomed him to disaster.

Your western front isn't looking too good.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Well written. Things are indeed going from bad to worse. I have to agree with Admiral Van Tromp, Mascarada judged things without much consideration and I fear he'll now be overwhelmed by events. Regarding your tactical pictures, those tags help, as I always imagined red as being the enemy. Well done, but hopefully you'll have a change in situation, else New Town will turn into a terrible tale.
    DuckDuckGo

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Sorry I haven't caught up for a while Alwyn, but it's good to see things haven't gotten any easier for Carthage in my absence . I really like the way this has developed, with the overconfidence of Mascarada leading to disaster... he really seems destined to bring chaos to the Empire of Carthage with his decision making. Disappointing to see how rough this campaign is going, but it makes for excellent writing on your part!

Mascarada was in error, but not for declining the offer of a cessation of war. It was to attack the high ground with a disorganized force. Even being in the weaker force was not the problem. Even having a tactical loss was not the problem. But to attack and thus to destroy an army and not achieve the strategic objective! That is a problem that no senior general can allow to pass without at least learning from the mistakes. Can Mascarada be such a general?

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    Talk about Hubris and Nemesis...

Mascarada's victories must have gotten to his head. Once, he was too cautious for his father and now he doomed him to disaster.

Your western front isn't looking too good.
    Well said! Yes, a general whose father once saw him as too cautious has encouraged his father to over-stretch Carthage's forces. You're right, after the destruction of two veteran armies, Carthage's western front is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Well written. Things are indeed going from bad to worse. I have to agree with Admiral Van Tromp, Mascarada judged things without much consideration and I fear he'll now be overwhelmed by events. Regarding your tactical pictures, those tags help, as I always imagined red as being the enemy. Well done, but hopefully you'll have a change in situation, else New Town will turn into a terrible tale.
    Thanks! That's helpful, I should have realised that people would think that red meant the enemy in the tactical maps, I'll add tags in future. Yes, unless Mascarada can turn things around, Carthage's campaign in Iberia will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    Sorry I haven't caught up for a while Alwyn, but it's good to see things haven't gotten any easier for Carthage in my absence . I really like the way this has developed, with the overconfidence of Mascarada leading to disaster... he really seems destined to bring chaos to the Empire of Carthage with his decision making. Disappointing to see how rough this campaign is going, but it makes for excellent writing on your part!
    Thanks for your kind comment! Yes, Mascarada's decision-making didn't turn out well! I'm enjoying the challenge which he faces in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Mascarada was in error, but not for declining the offer of a cessation of war. It was to attack the high ground with a disorganized force. Even being in the weaker force was not the problem. Even having a tactical loss was not the problem. But to attack and thus to destroy an army and not achieve the strategic objective! That is a problem that no senior general can allow to pass without at least learning from the mistakes. Can Mascarada be such a general?
    Thanks for a thought-provoking comment! Your point about the need to achieve the strategic objective is a helpful one, which I thought about as I wrote the next chapter - as you said, the question is whether Mascarada can be such a general.

Chapter 13: Only Iberians …

Carthage had sent two veteran armies into Iberia, the Friends of the Hundred and Four and the People’s Army. Both armies were lured into attacking a smaller force, only to find themselves under attack from a larger army. Both armies were shattered, leaving only a few survivors. As well as veteran soldiers, Carthage lost experienced generals, including Hiempsal, shophet of Carthage (the equivalent of a consul of Rome).

Mascarada found himself in command of what remained of Carthage’s forces in Iberia. He had raised a new army, the Walls of Byrsa – named for the oldest part of the city of Carthage. The Walls had besieged Qart Hadasht ('New Town'). This city was a colony of Carthage in his grandfather’s time, Mascarada’s army took it back. The leaders of Carthage celebrated, awarding Mascarada the title of shophet.

A Carthaginian fleet patrolled the west coast near Olisipo, a port captured by the fleet’s marines. Another Carthaginian army, the Sacred Company, landed in Iberia and sent a messenger to Mascarada, asking for orders. Dazed by the loss of his father and two armies, Mascarada considered his options. None seemed attractive. He could withdraw from Iberia, but this would allow the Celtiberians to re-take southern Iberia and threaten Carthaginian cities on the African coast. He could defend Carthage’s existing land in Iberia, holding a line between Qart Hadasht in the east and Olisipo in the west. But this would be a very long defensive line for his two armies and one fleet to hold. He could march north, to re-take Numantia. He longed to go north and avenge his father’s death. But why would his inexperienced soldiers succeed where two armies of veterans had failed?

Mascarada wandered from campfire to campfire in the camp of the Walls of Byrsa, listening to his men. Some talked of how they longed to see a wife or a lover and wondered if they would see them soon, if Carthage’s armies fell back to Africa. Some spoke approvingly of Mascarada’s caution. His patient siege of Qart Hadasht had avoided his army falling into a Celtiberian trap. Mascarada heard none of his men sounding hopeful - or expecting victory.

Mascarada met Elishat, his cousin, who had been sent to govern Qart Hadasht.

“Are the rumours true? Did the Mangonids in Egypt threaten to break away from Carthage?” he asked.

“It’s true,” said Elishat. “That’s why I was sent to Alexandria. If I had not recommended an edict allowing them provincial autonomy, they would have seceded.”

“But how could they have remained independent?” he asked.

“Surely you haven’t forgotten how our grandfathers conquered Egypt?” said Elishat. “They allied with a dissident family who were enemies of the Pharaoh. The dissidents provided mercenary archers to swell our ranks. The Mangonids could have quickly recruited mercenaries and seized control of western Carthage.”

Mascarada spoke with confidence for the first time in days. “Now I know what I must do. Only Iberians can conquer Iberia!”

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 7, 2018]

I'm liking the gradual focus on Mascarada. With Rome 2's long time-span, I hope you still have time to continue developing him before old age takes its toll.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

I'm very much enjoying it also! Carthage is really taking a beating! I hope they can regain their strength and conquer Iberia!

Vengeance for the dead.

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

I am also becoming a fan of Mascarada. There is something eternal in any region belonging to the people of that region. Of course in the time frame, only nobility can rule with approval of other nobles so that is a bit of conflict. I wonder how a Carthaginian general such as Mascarada can resolve this conflict within. The best the game system can do is to recruit mercenaries locally and hope a new general can arise among the captains.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I love the history book style very much and even though we don't know very much about the characters present I still feel attached to them. After a glorious push into Iberia will Carthage not have stretched its border too thin especially now with the loss of two veteran armies. Time will tell I guess.