Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated February 3, 2018]

Thanks, Welsh Dragon, Quintus, Tigellinus, mad orc and Caillagh! Yes, the situation of Carthage's capital does look bleak and the Seleucids are dangerous. Caullagh mentioned the importance of treating your allies well; as the next chapter shows, Carthage is luckier in this respect than, perhaps, they deserve....

Chapter 6: As Loyal as a Libyan

Some historians argue that the complete change in Carthage’s military strategy in the early 2nd century BC was caused by a change of mind – others say it was a change of heart. During the previous century, Carthage’s largest armies had gone east. Their commanders had become wealthy by conquering Egypt and the African kingdoms of Blemmyes and Meroe. Carthage had many enemies in the west; only the most loyal and least ambitious generals remained there.

The Treaty of Alexandria is widely seen as the turning point in Carthage’s strategy. The western lands of Carthage were falling. Enemy armies encroached closer and closer to the capital. These events could explain a change of mind among Carthage’s leaders: they realised that they could not defeat powerful enemies in the west and east simultaneously. At Alexandria, Carthage welcomed an ambassador from the Seleucid Empire with gifts of gold from Aksum and jewellery displaying the enamel-work of the craftsmen of Meroe. Carthage and the Seleucids had fought a common enemy – Egypt. Now, they needed to fight other foes, not each other. The representatives of the Seleucids and Carthage swore oaths to their gods that their nations would remain at peace.

This treaty meant that Carthage’s eastern border was secure. Her armies could begin to march westwards, to regain the lands which had been lost. They marched from Meroe which is far – too far – from the city of Carthage. When a large army from Syracuse arrived on the African coast south of Carthage, the people of Carthage’s capital – the Faithless City - expected defeat.

It was not a Carthaginian army which saved the capital. The kingdom of Libya, a client state of Carthage, had developed a sophisticated army. When Carthage’s armies marched through Libya, Libya offered them levy troops. Before, they had offered javelin-men. Now, they offered hoplites and horsemen. Libya’s army could not win against the invaders, but they fought bravely, inflicting heavy losses on the invaders before falling back. After this battle, the army from Syracuse was not strong enough to capture Carthage’s capital. The invaders turned south, threatening the Libyan kingdom.

Before, the Carthaginian people had seen their Libyan client kingdom as a useful ally, nothing more. Now, the Carthaginians had a change of heart; the Libyan kingdom were the saviours of the Faithless City. After this brave action, Carthaginians used a new proverb to describe those who had saved their capital – ‘as loyal as a Libyan’.

The first of Carthage’s armies to reach Libya on their westward march was called Dido’s Faithful, named after the first queen of Carthage. When their scouts found the invading army, the general saw his chance to repay the loyal Libyans for saving Carthage’s capital. But two Libyan cities were in danger. Lepcis was in the path of the army from Syracuse, while Macomades was threatened by a horde of escaped slaves. The Carthaginian army could reach one city in time, but not both.

Last edited by Alwyn; September 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated February 10, 2018]

Totally love this!!!! Awesome stuff Alwyn!

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated February 3, 2018]

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The first of Carthage’s armies to reach Libya on their westward march was called Dido’s Faithful, named after the first queen of Carthage. When their scouts found the invading army, the general saw his chance to repay the loyal Libyans for saving Carthage’s capital. But two Libyan cities were in danger. Lepcis was in the path of the army from Syracuse, while Macomades was threatened by a horde of escaped slaves. The Carthaginian army could reach one city in time, but not both.
    I love it in campaigns when you are faced with a choice like that.

This story continues to go from strength to strength. I love the way in the latest chapter you've essentially created a new expression that has evolved from the events of this time in the timeline of your AAR. Definitely one to bookmark.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; February 11, 2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Well I would choose after which of the towns I wanted to have and let the enemy storm it just to seize it afterwards^^

Oh and I loved the paragraph about the treaty with the Seleucids

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Loving it, Alwyn! Carthage is a fantastic nation to do an AAR of!

Which city will be saved and which will fall?

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Thank you, San Felipe (that's kind of you), Welsh Dragon (yes I enjoy such choices, too), Quintus (that's good advice!) and Tigellinus (I agree!). If any readers of my AAR have not discovered The Loremaster of Teclis by San Felipe (and his other AARs), Toutatis Favours the Brave by Welsh Dragon, A Conquest of the Stars by Tigellinus or Imperial Splendour: Rise of the Republic (an Empire Total War mod by a team including Quintus Hortensius Hortalus), then I recommend checking them out.

Chapter 7: The Key to the West

When the Carthaginian army known as Dido’s Faithful marched to confront the invading army from Syracuse, the invaders retreated. This allowed Dido’s Faithful to march east, to suppress the uprising of escaped slaves which threatened the Libyan city of Macomades.

More Carthaginian armies arrived on their long march west. The invading army from Syracuse was surrounded and destroyed. But there was another threat which these armies could not defend against: a Roman fleet passed Macomades and approached the port of Cyrene.

Cyrene was an important stopping point for sea trade between the city of Carthage and the Seleucid Empire. A small group of Carthaginian ships patrolled the waters around Cyrene, keeping trading ships safe from pirates. But these patrol ships were a coast-guard, not a navy. They had no chance against Roman warships. The arrival of Carthage’s armies secured her western lands for now, but this Roman raid reminded Carthage of the vulnerability of her long coastline and her lack of a navy.

Could Carthage take the fight to their enemies? Even if a navy was built, the constant threat of Masaesyli raids would require Carthage’s armies to remain at home. Carthage could ignore the raiders, go north and attack Roman territory. But Rome was powerful, controlling most of Italy. Even if Carthage could have landed an army in Italy, they would be caught in between Rome and Syracuse. Perhaps Carthage could take Sicily from Syracuse. But this would be futile, because Syracuse’s lands were close to Roman territory. Rome could quickly invade a Sicilian city held by Carthage – which would only make Rome stronger.

If Carthage went west and attacked the Lusitani, the result would be similar. The Lusitani were powerful, controlling much of Iberia. If Carthage attacked Lusitani strongholds in Iberia, they would be caught in between the Lusitani and the Masaesyli. However, Carthage’s generals realised that, in the west, there was a difference. Syracuse was close to Roman territory, so any attack on Syracuse could face a rapid Roman response. But the Masaesyli city of Migdol was far from the Iberian lands of the Lusitani. The rebel cities on the north-west African coast provided a useful buffer between Carthage and the Lusitani. This meant that, if Carthage took Migdol, then the Lusitani would not be able to take advantage of the situation.

Carthage’s generals realised that the key to the west was Migdol. Dido’s Faithful remained in the Libyan kingdom, to help the loyal Libyans defend against attacks from Syracuse. Most other Carthaginian armies guarded the western border against Masaesyli raids. Meanwhile, the People’s Army marched west to Migdol. The Masaesyli warriors were lightly armed and armoured, superbly equipped for hit and run raids – but not for pitched battles. When the cavalry of the People’s Army charged the Masaesyli line at Migdol and saw the Masaesyli infantry turn and flee, the horsemen of Carthage realised that the key to the west would soon be theirs.

Last edited by Alwyn; February 20, 2018 at 02:30 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated February 18, 2018]

Great update! Good to see that things are looking up for Carthage and that a sound tactical plan is being put in place! Carthage rides for Migdol.

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

P.S: I will reply to the PM! Just moved into Residence today, so a little pushed for time!

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

So if I'm correct the goal is to secure Africa, then fight the Lusitani and then finally take care of Syracuse and Rome?
    Btw. The strategy of the Certhagian Generals is as simple as great, just take out the weakest spot.

And loved to read this update too! I'm corious to see what happens next!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I'm curious too, Quintus Hortensius Hortalus!

Thank you, Tigellinus, Quintus and Caillagh! Yes, Quintus, that is Carthage's plan, although any plan can be changed by unexpected events. Yes, Carthage's strategy is, generally, to attack on one front at a time (even if regions are lost on another front) and to attack the weakest enemy. Carthage doesn't always attack the weakest enemy. Syracuse is weaker than the Lusitani, but Carthage will probably strike the Lusitani first, because Syracuse is so close to Roman territory - however, unexpected events might change that...

Chapter 8: The Colour of Courage

In the 19th century novel The Red Badge of Courage, the colour red represents bravery, the willingness to shed blood for your nation. In the 20th century, American soldiers who were wounded or killed in action began to receive the Purple Heart: purple became the colour for heroes. When the People’s Army of Carthage captured the city of Migdol, they found a rich supply of rare and valuable purple dye. This purple dye was used by leading families of Carthage to display their wealth. But it soon acquired another purpose.

For two generations, Carthage’s armies had gone east in search of lands and wealth. In the west, Carthage had fallen back, again and again, as their enemies advanced. Treaties with the Seleucids had secured Carthage’s eastern border. Now, instead of marching east, Carthage’s principal armies went west, taking back lands which their parents and grandparents had lost. Capturing Migdol cut off the supplies for Masaesyli raiders. Without these raids, Carthage’s armies could march north, to restore order to African coastal regions which had fallen to rebels and banditry. The principal armies of Carthage fought hard to take the ports of Tingis and Iol, which had once belonged to Carthage’s lost colony, Nova Carthago.

Carthage’s rule in Africa was secure, but her principal armies lost many warriors at Tingis and Iol, so they would not be ready to fight major battles for some time. Carthage’s coastline was long and her ports were vulnerable to powerful enemies across the sea: the Lusitani, Syracuse and Rome.

Carthage had learned from her enemy, Syracuse. Syracuse had survived not only through military strength but by the ingenuity of inventors such as Archimedes. Carthage used the wealth generated by the gold mines of Aksum and the craftsmen of Meroe and Migdol to pay for libraries in her chief cities of Carthage, Cyrene and Alexandria. Scholars watched, and children laughed and cheered, as warships struck each other with experimental rams. Other crews learned to fire a ballista, or to leap from one ship to another carrying a spear and shield. Carthage was building a navy.

North-west of Carthage, a fleet from Syracuse encountered the new Carthaginian warships. The ships of Carthage included several assault dieres, crewed by Libyan spearmen, which rammed their enemies with devastating effect. Light artillery penteres carried ballistae: they focused their fire on a single enemy vessel, doing heavy damage.

At the centre of Carthage’s fleet were the bravest of their hoplites, the Sacred Band. Two centuries before, at the Battle of the Crimissus, a Sacred Band had fought to the last man against Syracuse. Now, a new Sacred Band fought Syracuse again, as the marines of Carthage.

This new Sacred Band wore purple tunics – the colour of courage. With their new ships and brave marines, Carthage’s fleet prevailed. But Rome’s Fourth Legion and Third Fleet had sailed and were seen near Sicily – and no-one in Carthage knew what they planned to do.

Last edited by Alwyn; February 25, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated February 25, 2018]

A great AAR so far. Hopefully Carthage can restore its fallen empire and then send an expeditionary force to the Italian Peninsula. Who knows, Rome may control it, but the Samnites and Etruscans might just help the "liberators". Just please remember to not kill Archimedes. Keep up the good work!
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

I haven't read an AAR in a while and the ToTW limits give New Town an approachable appearance. Of course, if it forced you to cut the text too much, there would be diminishment. However, the writing is very good and the story thrives in these snippets.

I agree with Caillagh and Axis: you used the javelinemen's role very well in the fist chapter. The Lybian intervention was a fun twist and lead to an engaging dilema (it was almost a shame that the army from Syracuse retreated, it reduced the drama ). The eight chapter was very good. I liked your use of the meanings of the colour purple and enjoyed the description of the navy's development, particularly the passage about the scholars and children.

The maps are clear and useful, helping to define the conflicts in the 1st and 3rd parts, the desperate situation in the 5th and the strategic decision in the 7th.

I look forward to more! +rep!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I somehow have not commented on this AAR. I do not know why. I have been reading each installment. Well the red badge of courage gives me an excuse to comment here. I liked how you worked it in and dealt with the purple color of courage (purple heart) and tied this to your AAR. A great post in a great AAR thread.

Thank you, Darkan, Admiral Van Tromp and NorseThing!

Darkan, yes, Carthage hopes eventually to send a force to Italy, but I would have no hope of holding Italian cities against Rome at this stage. I am trying not to repeat Hannibal's error of taking lands which I can't hold. (I'll remember what you said about Archimides!).

Admiral Van Tromp, yes, the Libyan intervention was a turning point. Previously, I planned that the Carthaginians would abandon their home city and migrate east - but that would have meant abandoning the Libyan Kingdom to the enemy, which would have felt dishonourable after Libya was so loyal.

NorseThing, I'm glad that you liked the connection to the Purple Heart! The capture of Migdol, a source of purple dye, coinciding with the introduction of Sacred Band marines who wear purple, seemed like a good opportunity to make that connection.

I encourage readers of my AAR to discover the writings of Darkan, Admiral Van Tromp and NorseThing - their signatures all provide links.

Chapter 9: The Sons of Hiempsal

Rome’s Fourth Legion landed in Sicily and made camp there. It seemed that Rome’s intention was to turn Sicily into a defensive bastion, securing their southern border against Carthage while other legions marched into Gaul. But Rome’s next moves suggested that they might attack. They made alliances with Syracuse and the Lusitani. Rome’s Fifth and First Legions were seen near Sicily. Was Sicily a defensive bastion for Rome, or a staging area to assemble armies for an invasion of Carthage? No-one in Carthage knew.

An army from the Libyan Kingdom marched to help defend the city of Carthage against any Roman attack. Once more, the Libyans honoured their allegiance to Carthage. This Libyan force crossed the sea to liberate Lilybaeum from Syracuse.

Many young men of Carthage wanted to follow. “The Libyans are loyal to us”, they said, “shouldn’t we be loyal to Libya, in return?” But the Hundred and Four, a council of leaders who watched over the armies of Carthage, warned that any expedition to Sicily would be doomed to defeat.

The young men who had wanted to go to Sicily went west instead, to join a new army at Tingis. In the west, the Lusitani made allies of their own, forming a Celtiberian Confederation. At Tingis, the nearest city in Africa to Iberia, the People’s Army were training men to replace their heavy losses. Hiempsal was general of the People’s Army, shophet of Carthage (the equivalent of a consul of Rome) and head of the powerful Barcid family. He appointed his eldest son, Sadith, to command a new army. Hiempsal was proud of Sadith’s ambition and courage. He was less pleased with his younger son, Mascarada, who he saw as too cautious. Hiempsal sent his younger son to command a small force which guarded the city of Migdol in the south, far from the front line.

So many sons of powerful families joined Sadith's army that it became known as the Friends of the Hundred and Four. They looked forward to going on the offensive against the Celtiberians. But, before they were ready, a well-trained, fast-moving force of Celtiberians crossed the sea and attacked Sadith’s new army.

Sadith marched his hoplites into a wood, for protection from slingers and javelins. He sent Libyan spearman running on his left to outflank the enemy and disrupt the enemy’s formation. Enemy swordsmen and spearmen turned to pursue the Libyan spearmen, allowing Sadith’s javelin-men to hurl their weapons into the backs of the enemy. The Libyan spearman ran fast, but they were caught in between the enemy’s infantry and cavalry. Sadith watched helplessly as his spearmen were cut down. The enemies who cut down his spearmen charged into the left flank of his hoplites.

Sadith led his bodyguard in a desperate charge, but it was not enough. When a few survivors reached Tingis, they reported that Sadith was dead and that his army was broken.
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 04, 2018 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated March 4, 2018]

A new AAR from Alwyn, definitely subscribe!
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

Good chapter! Sorry to take Carthage away from the spotlight, but Lybia's proactivity is impressive!

I wonder what effects will Sadith's demise have. Perhaps a chance for his brother to prove his worth?

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Ooh, nice LotR reference, Admiral Van Tromp!

I was thinking it sounded a bit like Aesop's fable of The Tortoise and the Hare - maybe being more cautious could be something Mascarada could use to his advantage.

Still enjoying this immensely, Alwyn!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Another great update. I wonder if you should include in your bundle of help for new writers a short article about making map pictures for AAR's. These are great additions and should be a critical factor to consider when writing any AAR.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Another great update. I wonder if you should include in your bundle of help for new writers a short article about making map pictures for AAR's. These are great additions and should be a critical factor to consider when writing any AAR.
    I've got to agree. Alwyn these maps are fantastic and add a lot to the story.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.