Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated July 27, 2018]

I like that Passaris knows that standing his ground would go against his mission and might lead to the same fate the Friend of the hundred and Four met - maybe taking Malva wasa way to get some supplies? After all, he is in enemy territory. His march has been successful so far, hopefully he can take some coastal city or find some allies with a strong navy. And I wonder, since he managed to pierceinto enemy territory and take an entire unguarded cities, if he could have raided the alliance's supply lines and weaken their economy while proceeding his march - something like a chevauchée strategy on a large scale with an entire army. Of course his mission was to distract them. If plundering slowes him down, he might fail this one task.

Can't wait to see how Passaris is going to establish a colony, or if he will encounter some unexpected problems!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    I like that Passaris knows that standing his ground would go against his mission and might lead to the same fate the Friend of the hundred and Four met - maybe taking Malva wasa way to get some supplies? After all, he is in enemy territory. His march has been successful so far, hopefully he can take some coastal city or find some allies with a strong navy. And I wonder, since he managed to pierceinto enemy territory and take an entire unguarded cities, if he could have raided the alliance's supply lines and weaken their economy while proceeding his march - something like a chevauchée strategy on a large scale with an entire army. Of course his mission was to distract them. If plundering slowes him down, he might fail this one task.

Can't wait to see how Passaris is going to establish a colony, or if he will encounter some unexpected problems!
    Thanks for commenting! Yes, taking Malva would have given Passaris supplies and denied supplies to the enemy. Malva is a major food-producing region in this campaign, I saw a Macedonian army suffering attrition after I took Malva and I believe the reason was that I reduced their food supply. It was a shame that there was no way to hold Malva.

Yes, historically raiding supply lines would have been an important part of a mission like this one. The game simulates this in two ways - when the player takes a city which provides supplies that the enemy relies on (like Malva) and when a player's army goes into a 'raiding' stance. You're right that plundering (the raiding stance) slows down an army, which is why Passaris isn't doing that - his survival depends on rapid movement. In a future chapter, we'll find out whether Passaris manages to found a colony and find allies. For now, we're going to see how Mascarada used the situation which Passaris created (when several enemy armies were pulled back from the front line to pursue Passaris).
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 05, 2018 at 06:21 AM.

Chapter 26: The New Iberia

Mascarada did not wait for the outcome of Passaris’s mission before ordering an attack. He took the risk of assuming that Athens, Macedon and Sparta would divert armies from the front line in northern Italy to pursue Passaris as he marched behind enemy lines. As shophet (the equivalent of a consul of Rome) and senior general, Carthage’s strategy was Mascarada’s responsibility. Carthage was at war with an alliance of many nations – the original Triple Alliance powers of Athens, Macedon and the Seleucid Empire, together with the Iceni, Sparta, Media Atropatene, Persia and Sardes. Carthage’s survival would depend on Mascarada’s decisions.

Mascarada could have tried once more to invade Pannonia and Illyria. But Athens, Macedon and Sparta could abandon their pursuit of Passaris and return to destroying Carthage’s armies. Mascarada needed to attack where the enemy was weak, not where they were strong. But where could Carthage attack – and how could they avoid the trap of advancing only to find their armies trapped or falling back, as they had done before?

Mascarada remembered the reports which he had received from Egypt. Carthage’s armies in Egypt had only been expected to delay the armies of the Seleucid Empire while reinforcements arrived, not to defeat their enemies. But the Seleucids had done something which Carthage did not expect. They had sent their armies by sea, not over land. This was a mistake: the rams of Carthage’s warships had sunk many Seleucids and Persians transports. The Seleucids and Persians would rebuild their armies in time, but for now they were vulnerable.

Mascarada made his decision. Carthage’s armies in Egypt would attack the Seleucid Empire in Nabatea and Syria. A secondary objective would be the Persian lands in Arabia. Unlike Carthage’s armies in Italy, with their Libyan swordsmen and Iberian mercenaries, Carthage’s armies in Egypt were traditional forces of hoplites, peltasts and horsemen, with some Egyptian archers. Mascarada was relying on armies which would have been familiar to the generals of his father’s and grandfather’s generations.

Fortunately, hoplites, peltasts, horsemen and archers were very effective against the remaining armies of the Seleucids and Persians. The Seleucids and Persians relied mainly on cavalry and skirmishers. The enemy cavalry were skilled, but Carthage’s hoplites could hold them back, protecting the Egyptian archers. The enemy skirmishers fired swiftly and accurately, but Carthage’s horsemen cut them down. Just as Carthage’s armies in Iberia had employed Iberian mercenaries and adopted Iberian ways of warfare, so Carthage’s armies in Nabatea and Syria acquired new troops and tactics. Syrian archers marched alongside Egyptian bowmen in Carthage’s armies; camel archers rode alongside Carthaginian horsemen.

Carthage’s armies were more effective than Mascarada had dared to hope. Carthaginian armies, used to surviving harsh conditions in north Africa, kept marching onwards. They reduced the Seleucid Empire to a tattered remnant, and then the last Seleucid city fell. The Triple Alliance would fight back hard, but one of the three founding nations of the Triple Alliance was no more.

Last edited by Alwyn; August 05, 2018 at 07:57 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated August 5, 2018]

A good chapter.
    I like how great men find new ways to survive in desperate situations. Hope that Passaris's black sea expiation succeeds.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Ok, I see Passaris has managed to fulfil his objective, at least partly, at least for now. Interesting development of the situation, both with enemy armies (plural) following him, and with the possibility of a new ally. We'll see how this goes.
    Hope we'll get to see Mascarada in action too, I mean, it doesn't do to have one man do the work...or does it?

Well done in getting the Seleucids out of the fight, rebellions notwithstanding, though there are quite a few red dots on this map and not enough white/blue ones..., though Italy's heel seems full of activity.
    Last edited by Darkan; August 05, 2018 at 10:32 AM.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

One down, many more to go ! But as Darkan hinted at, rebellions will be a plenty in such a rapidly conquered region and with only one army in the vicinity to deal with it is going to be a difficult task. Still a great achievement and a strong signal to the Triple Alliance that Carthage is still strong and a force to be reckoned with and that this war is not over. Intrigued to see how this Black sea colony goes as well as the entire side of Passaris' story.

Fantastic stuff here as expected from the mighty Alwyn!

The 'history-book' style and word limitation sets up a nice condensed sequence of important events in your play-through. (Maybe I should adapt this style in the future )

With your conquest of the Seleucid Empire, you are now the leading power in the Levant, and soon to be in Anatolia as well.
    May Baal Hammon, continue to bless you on your conquest of the known world.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hello Alwyn!

It's been a while since I promised to drop by, but I finally have a whole free day (imagine that!) and can now sit down and properly enjoy other people's AARs (it is a refreshing change, to be reading and not writing, maybe that's part of how you manage to read so many AARs eh?). Glad to say it's your turn! As before, I'm sorry I didn't follow this from the start, but I'll act as if I did, and my comments will reflect that, at least until we reach the present. It certainly helps to know this is a critically acclaimed AAR, I know I'm going to enjoy this!

OP: Already an interesting start. 500 words max? Can I read all chapters in one sitting then? Also, Carthage retreating...hmm...don't know how I feel about that. A history style AAR, you say? Been awhile since we had one of those, I think. Great! I love breakdowns and detailed analyses of military tactics as well, it's always fascinated me. One thing I never understood was why flanking had such a big impact. My biggest gripe was the battle of Cannae, the Romans outnumbered the Carthaginians but just because they were flanked they lose? Damn! If you have 80,000 men and you see yourself getting flanked, can't you, you know, turn 20,000 men towards the flank? Then in that sense the men on the flanks aren't getting attacked from the side anymore, and they'd just fight it out as if they were the centre. It will become another slog of attrition, but it's not a "flank" anymore, if you get what I mean. That also eliminates the morale shock problem...if you see the enemy coming and you outnumber them you won't be scared! Anyway I'm rambling, let's go!

Chapter 1: Ahh, the first thing that annoyed me in Rome 2. Slingers beat archers! What blasphemy is this? I find it hard to imagine. Good to see the cavalry being used efficiently, and the eventual commitment of reserves. Great chapter! If they are all like this I'm in for a treat.

Chapter 2: Oookay, so I misread and Chapter 1 is actually chapter 2. And so on.

Chapter 3: Interesting decision making here. I think you outlined the pros and cons rather nicely. Short and sweet.

Chapter 4: Good to see you adapt your campaign conditions into the battle. Lack of funds actually means lack of accuracy...right? I think the People's Army should rest and recuperate, at least the East isn't as hostile as the North and West.

Chapter 5: An apt name, the faithless city. Abandoning your allies is never a good idea, even if it is to save yourself. The ruinous reputation will kill off diplomacy for a much longer time. Thanks for the map, it's very informative and helps me understand the campaign better, especially since I haven't touched Rome 2 since launch.

Chapter 6: As loyal as a Libyan is a good saying, rolls off the tongue rather nicely. Good diplomacy here on your part. I was worried that the Seleucid would attack you, but I guess that fear is alleviated, for now.

Chapter 7: That is also the strategy that I would have taken! Good plan! The Lusitani look rather powerful though, I hope the Carthaginians make it!

Chapter 8: I like your descriptions of the colors the soldiers wear having a greater significance than just identifying them. Attacking the Syracusan(is that how you say it? from the red line I'm guessing not) fleet is a bold move indeed, I would have expected a longer wait and replenishment time, but you're the general! And a rather good one at that, judging by the campaign map.

Chapter 9: Wow, never seen the AI do that in my limited playthroughs as Rome. A great element for storytelling, to be sure! They say Libyans are loyal...but now I wonder about their intellect. Attacking Lilybaeum is crazy with that amount of men.

Chapter 10: Sorry to say this, but the moment I laid eyes on this chapter I was immediately drawn to the map... for my favourite town name in Rome 2...Arse. As I am typing this I wonder if it will get censored. Also good to see new tactics (okay, honestly, they aren't that new, besieging is an art as old as...hmm...any faction in Rome 2 that starts with O? As Loyal as a Libyan, as Old as a...) being explored by Carthage. Besieging definitely helps reduce casualties, if one has the time and a lack of other threats it would be good to keep doing so. A very detailed map, props for that!

Chapter 11: Oh no...what? Defeat! Just as I was about to say this was getting too easy. Now if only Rome's Legion attacked you instead of diverting their efforts. What a story that would have been!

Chapter 12: Ahh, so your army did get annihilated...damn. And another one! Okay, that was something I didn't expect at all. You are keeping me on the edge of my seat here.

Chapter 13: Now that map is interesting. Seems like you're becoming the Caesar Rome needs...they haven't been expanding at all have they

Think I will stop here for now. It's been a great read. Some general comments: I like your writing style, especially your descriptions. All too often I wonder when I write "Am I not giving this aspect of the story the detail it deserves?" But somehow you manage to describe the scene in detail in the least amount of words possible. Great stuff! I especially love the maps that you have crafted, they are very informative.

Please keep up the good work, I'll be back for more!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well it didn't take me long to come back to this!

Chapter 14: So Mascarada wants to be a Hannibal. Very bold indeed. I was expecting him to wait, but I guess you really like taking the initiative

Chapter 15: Interesting note about the blades, was nice to know. By the way did you see those warriors, the Scutarii? They've got curved swords. Curved. Swords. Also nice to see the navy playing a bigger role! The port at Brigantium sounds important.

Chapter 16: I enjoyed reading about Syracuse as a city at the beginning! A change of perspective always offers a fresh viewpoint, and I liked it. That being said, now I'm curious as to what was said to the commander.

Chapter 17: Well, talk about changing perspectives. Once again you manage to describe the current situation in very few words, well done! Rome looks and sounds weaker than I expected her to be, but we shall see what challenges the AI decide to throw your way. Also wondering what you'll do about those corrupt nobles.

Chapter 18: Okay, forget what I said about challenges. You are the challenge for the AI. A very lovely description of the short battle, it now seems the way to Rome is open. *shivers*

Chapter 19: Good lord, Rome a client state of Carthage. Impossible to imagine, but what could have very well been actual history if things had been different. Well done! Not just a great AARtist but a shrewd tactician too.

Chapter 20: Looks like the legendary Spartan hoplites gave the Carthaginians a good run for their money. The Triple Alliance seems to be standing strong at the moment, and now Carthage faces a new enemy. Have they pushed too far? Exposed themselves? What a time to live in for Mascarada.

Chapter 21: Ahh, this is a favourite tactic of mine! I love ravaging enemy lands and cities in Medieval 2 in order to draw their forces away from the main conflict. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but when it works it's amazing. Very good cost to effectiveness ratio.

Chapter 22: That's something that has been left unsaid for too long, I think: Not just win the battle, but preserve the army. Every Total War player ever, I guess. Still, an admirable sentiment, and a great victory should Passaris be able to pull it off. The answer to the messenger is simple of course: Wait til the Athenians march by, then land!

Chapter 23: Okay, forget what I said about the Athenians marching by, too. I am clearly not the commander here I wonder if artillery in Rome is as inaccurate against troops as they are in Medieval 2 or Napoleon. Anyways, a brilliant battle map as always, and I look forward to seeing how this battle turns out. They seem quite evenly matched now.

Chapter 24: The sombre mood of the messenger was a nice touch. Always good to see common footmen reacting to the war. And so that was your plan all along, wasn't it! Found a colony. How Passaris' ambitions have grown, and perhaps, Mascarada will view him as a rival...

Chapter 25: This makes me wonder if Passaris will eventually secede from Carthage, LOL! Also I wonder how many AI armies are actually chasing you, it would be quite hilarious if they sent three of four stacks after you, though that is undoubtedly what you want. Also a good explanation about the plundering stance in Rome 2 in your reply to Darkan, I had forgotten about that.

Chapter 26: So it's the double/dual alliance now eh? Nice work! Never liked the pesky Selucids, but I think that's my Civ 5 showing...they are always stealing my wonders! The map is very interesting though, and it looks as if you're still on the back foot. Sure you've got a lot of land, but army wise it looks a little tough for you.

Oh and we're here! Well, you've managed to get me to binge read this twice now. Don't know what else to say though, everything is great. Perhaps you could put a little more emphasis on the defeats, as despite all the challenges I expected you to face (and you did), it just seems rather smooth sailing. But still, that means the story is alive, and that's a good thing for me!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

I've just caught up! I hope this will be continuing! It is excellent work.

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Thank you, everyone, for your generous and encouraging comments! It's good to be back in AAR writing, for New Town continues today...

Chapter 27
    The Causes of the Roman Uprising
    By Astarte, daughter of Admago

The assassination of Mascarada, Shophet of Carthage, by one of his personal servants created a wave of uncertainty across the republic. To understand the situation, it is necessary to know why Mascarada’s leadership gave the people a feeling of security. After his father’s army was destroyed in a failed attempt to conquer Iberia, Mascarada recruited Iberian mercenaries, enabling him to achieve what his father died trying to do. This is the origin of the traditional saying “only Iberians can conquer Iberia.”

When Rome threatened Carthage with invasion again, Mascarada’s veterans crossed southern Gaul and invaded Italia. By tradition, Carthage’s heavy infantry were trained in the Greek style, with spear and shield. Even after his victories, Mascarada’s leadership would have been questioned if he had broken with tradition completely. He maintained the old custom that warriors from the city of Carthage were trained as hoplites or peltasts. However, he did something new with his warriors from Libya, whose reliability is recognised in the old saying “as loyal as a Libyan”.

Mascarada used his Iberian mercenaries to train Libyan infantry in the use of the sword. Mascarada combined the steadfastness of Libyans with the skilled swordsmanship of Iberians. Iberian and Libyan swordsmen made a decisive difference in the war with Rome. Carthage’s traditional armies of hoplites and peltasts would have struggled against Rome’s legions. But this military innovation was not the only reason why Carthage defeated Rome. Rome’s armies were divided, fighting Carthage in the west and Greek states in the east. The division of Rome’s armies made Mascarada’s victory easier than it would otherwise have been. Even after Rome was occupied and Rome’s Senate withdrew to the city of Karalis on the island of Sardinia, Romans believed that they would have won, if they had fought Carthage alone. For the Romans have a traditional saying, too: “Carthage must be destroyed”.

Author's Note

If you're wondering where the rest of the chapter is, the answer is that New Town's chapters aim to stay within a 500-word limit (like a Tale of the Week entry) - and sometimes I write less than the limit.

As it's been a long time since the last update, this chapter summarises the story so far. This chapter has another purpose, too. As a hardware failure caused the loss of the saved games from my previous Carthage campaign, the continuation of this AAR is based on a new Carthage campaign. The new campaign broadly follows the pattern of the old: Carthage has expanded west and east across Africa, marched into Iberia and subjugated Rome.

However, in this new campaign, the Desert Kingdom factions are harder to defeat (they have better units because of the Desert Kingdoms DLC, which hadn't been released when I defeated them in the previous Carthage campaign). Also, AI factions are more aggressive than before, since the Ancestral update for Rome II. These changes made my new Carthage campaign more enjoyable and challenging than the previous one. Because of these changes, my new Carthage hasn't been quite as successful as the previous one, so far. Before, all of north Africa and all of Iberia were under Carthage's control; in this campaign, control of Africa and Iberia is still disputed.

This chapter, and others which will follow, aim to bridge the gap between the old campaign and the new one. I can't make the new campaign match the old one exactly. For example, in Chapter 27, I changed the location of Rome's last stand, when Carthage subjugated Rome, from Corsica (where it happened in the previous campaign), to Sardinia (where it happened in the new campaign); even so, I hope to make the continuing story broadly consistent with the previous chapters.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 12, 2019]

I am so so happy to see you back at this Alwyn. Your writing is a treat that we get in small doses, and I am overjoyed to see you getting our supply back!

To the story itself, sorry to hear about your hardware issues, but glad your new campaign has given you a new round of fun. I hope this new campaign also has some interesting twists and turns, as your previous one did. Long story short, I will be eagerly looking forward to the coming updates!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Huzzah! Welcome back to the AAR, Alwyn! It stings hearing about another hardware failure, myself being privy to the effects of them all too often, but I'm glad to see you're continuing this. Onward, for Carthage!

I like tougher campaigns, I am eager to see what kind of story you weave about them this time

Content Emeritus

Yay New Town returns!

A nice recap of the AAR so far. Those important passages like "only Iberians can conquer Iberia" and "as loyal as a Libyan" really made me revisit those moments without the need to read those chapters again. Really superb!

I'm intrigued to see how you will handle incorporating this new campaign into the story. I expect it to be nothing but excellent, like everything else you provide!

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey Alwyn how about doing a AAR campaign using WARS OF THE GODS-ANCIENT WARS mod? You will have more fun

Thanks, Kilo11, Swaeft, Turkafinwë and Bran Mac Born!

Kilo11, this campaign is generating twists and turns which I'm enjoying, I hope you'll enjoy them too. Swaeft, I like more challenging campaigns as well. Turkafinwë, I'm enjoying the challenge of creating (somewhat) plausible explanations for why things changed from the situation in the old campaign to the new campaign. Bran Mac Born, I appreciate the skill which goes into your modding work and if anyone would like to see the benefits of the mod you mentioned, I recommend zachman1201's Let's Play Wars of the Gods - Ancient Wars (Sparta) AAR. I also recommend the AARs of the writers who commented on my latest chapter!

Meanwhile, the leaders of Carthage are debating mysterious changes in the tide of events and trying to deduce what happened to an army which seems to have disappeared...

Chapter 28
    The Silence in the East
    By Astarte, daughter of Admago

When Carthage’s defeated armies retreated into Italia pursued by superior numbers of Athenian and Spartan pikemen, hoplites and peltasts, the situation seemed hopeless. Passaris, the strongest strategist among Carthage’s young generals, volunteered to lead his army behind enemy lines to disrupt their advance. He did not plan to return from this mission. Instead, he intended to create a Carthaginian colony on the Black Sea coast, beyond the lands under enemy control. He wanted a new town for the Carthaginian republic, just as the city of Carthage was once a colony.

Passaris hoped to find a defensible city to hold against the Triple Alliance of Athens, Macedon, the Seleucids and their allies. From there, he would seek allies for Carthage, if any could be found. He would raid the settlements of Carthage’s enemies. He wanted to force the Triple Alliance to divide their armies between Carthage on one side and his colony on the other.

The army of Passaris marched swiftly, continuing east until they reached the Black Sea coast and turned north towards the Bosporan Kingdom. The last messenger from Passaris who reached Carthage reported that four Triple Alliance armies were pursuing his single army. After that, there was silence. Spies sent into enemy territory to investigate the fate of the army of Passaris did not return.

In the Library of Carthage, the reason for this silence was debated. Some said that the army of Passaris must have been destroyed. Others said that his mission might have succeeded because the armies of the Triple Alliance fell back from northern Italia, just as Passaris had intended. After Mascarada inflicted heavy defeats on the Celtic tribes who tried to outflank his armies defending Italia, an uneasy quiet on Carthage’s eastern frontier replaced the clash of armies.

At least for now, the Triple Alliance no longer engaged in open war against the Carthaginian republic. However, there is another reason to believe that Passaris succeeded in his mission. If your enemy copies your strategy, this suggests that your strategy was causing difficulties for your enemy. Unfortunately for Carthage, the Triple Alliance did not simply copy the strategy of Passaris, they improved on it.

The army of Passaris had to march across Triple Alliance territory, hoping to form a new colony. Instead of founding a colony, the Triple Alliance supported uprisings by nations which had been conquered by Carthage. In western Iberia, the Lusitani broke away from the Carthaginian republic and formed an independent kingdom. In the port of Karalis, on the island of Sardinia, the exiled Roman Senate declared war on Carthage. In Aethiopia, the people of Kush revived their old kingdom and their warriors marched into Carthage’s lands in Egypt. As Iberia, Aethiopia and Egypt were Carthage’s centres of mining, craftsmanship and trade, the loss of much of these provinces inflicted a heavy blow to Carthage’s economy, as well as forcing the republic to fight three wars at once.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

@Alwyn

Great to see the return of New Town, though sorry to hear the new twists have been cause by needing to start a new campaign. I too have encountered such a situation with Toutatis, and so I'm interested to see how you are handling it. I've also never really tried the colony strategy you describe, but sounds an interesting one, so I shall perhaps try it in one of my future campaigns.

@Bran Mac Born

Have you considered starting an AAR of your own, to showcase your mod? That way you could highlight the improvements you feel it brings, in a work of fiction of your own creation, giving you full creative freedom. You will have more fun Just a thought.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; May 19, 2019 at 11:04 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 19, 2019]

Keeping the length of updates down is a sensible choice. I have thought about that as well. There are two good reasons: 1) You're more motivated to post more and more frequent, so in the end you might even publish more text than if you did long updates; and 2) your readers will also have an easier time reading it.

I have read your last couple of updates and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

This is a nice update Alwyn, and I can see where you are cleverly binding the old campaign to the new. Out of curiosity, did these "rebel" territories actually rebel, or is this your way of accounting for them still be independent factions at war with you in this new campaign? (Feel free to not answer the previous question if you'd prefer not to.)

One thing that is a shame is the loss of the Passaris plot-line. I really liked that twist in the old campaign, and it also created a nice symmetry between your AAR and the actual flow of Punic history. You did a brilliant job quickly concluding it here (with a solid dose of mystery and intrigue to boot!), but I still am a bit sad that that arc is gone now. Hardware crashes should not happen to AAR writers currently in the middle of a campaign!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Like Kilo said you perfectly sew the old campaign into the new one. I too lament the loss of Passaris and his story-line, yet the mystery revolving around it has it's own merits (let the fan-fics begin ). Perhaps we will hear from his exploits one day or another? Who knows .