Thread: DeI Submod Compatibility / Designed Interoperability

Default DeI Submod Compatibility / Designed Interoperability

Do any of you helpful souls know of a resource that shows Submod compatibility / interoperability?

Or at least a group of submods that work together solidly for 1.2.2f?

It's not easy to see which submods over-write each other, which order they should be installed in, and if any/all are compatible with DeI Hardcord/Softcore, and if they have TPY options.

Thank you!

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: DeI Submod Compatibility / Designed Interoperability

As DeI is a complete overhaul you can for the most part expect that if the mod doesnt specifically state that it is compatible, there is a risk it isnt.
    As for the load order. Submods should always be loaded before DeI as they need to overwrite the files of DeI. Load order is controlled in the Rome 2 data folder found in your steamapps -> common -> Rome 2 folder. Mods load in alphabetical order, so simply renaming them will do the trick.
    I also believe that Dresden has written some general rules concerning mod compatibility in the Download Link thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    As DeI is a complete overhaul you can for the most part expect that if the mod doesnt specifically state that it is compatible, there is a risk it isnt.
    As for the load order. Submods should always be loaded before DeI as they need to overwrite the files of DeI. Load order is controlled in the Rome 2 data folder found in your steamapps -> common -> Rome 2 folder. Mods load in alphabetical order, so simply renaming them will do the trick.
    I also believe that Dresden has written some general rules concerning mod compatibility in the Download Link thread
    Ah FlashHeart07, ye of ammo resupply fame! I would love for that mod to work again.

I am looking for DeI submod compatibility. Some specifically state they work together, others don't.

For example, do DV, Cultura Tensio, and De AI Arbitriis work together? How does DeI Hardcore impact them? Should there be a specific load order?

I really like many of the ideas that these submods bring, but perhaps there are elements of each that break each other...I just don't know.

Thanks for any clarification!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Feel free to use the ones I have with exactly the same order-naming and you'll be 99% good to go.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Feel free to use the ones I have with exactly the same order-naming and you'll be 99% good to go.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Omg dude! Thank you!

Any chance that you have a list of the URLs on TWC/Steam for these?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    Ah FlashHeart07, ye of ammo resupply fame! I would love for that mod to work again.

I am looking for DeI submod compatibility. Some specifically state they work together, others don't.

For example, do DV, Cultura Tensio, and De AI Arbitriis work together? How does DeI Hardcore impact them? Should there be a specific load order?

I really like many of the ideas that these submods bring, but perhaps there are elements of each that break each other...I just don't know.

Thanks for any clarification!
    Yeah. The one for the actual battlefield wont work Im afraid. Something with the ability got screwed and neither I nor Dresden can fix it.

Often you can ask the mod creator as they will have insight in the file edits they made.

In the end you also need to be observant. What should the mod do? Does it add this in the game? And if not, does changing the load order help?

Omg dude! Thank you!

Any chance that you have a list of the URLs on TWC/Steam for these?
    You could easily find most of them on STEAM and some of them from our Submods thread.
    I could try to give you the links later I guess.

PS
    You can find most of the mods I'm using in Astrocat's post here for the others you'll have to do a personal search.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 06, 2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    You could easily find most of them on STEAM and some of them from our Submods thread.
    I could try to give you the links later I guess.

PS
    You can find most of the mods I'm using in Astrocat's post here for the others you'll have to do a personal search.
    Thanks again man! I'm guessing that subscribing to the mods via Steam doesn't allow you to choose the load order? Perhaps it's best to just manually add them to the Data folder and unsubscribe or ?

Thanks again man! I'm guessing that subscribing to the mods via Steam doesn't allow you to choose the load order? Perhaps it's best to just manually add them to the Data folder and unsubscribe or ?
    Correct

@Greek Strategos - you renamed several of the mods in your screenshot and some of the other names don't show up in searches...

Many of the links in the post you shared are to Steam; just so any other non-seasoned forum readers understand as well, the process should be:

1) Avoid subscribing to the Steam version and look for the direct download link
    2) Download the files (zip, rar, etc) and extrack the .pack and (if applicable) .png files to the /Data folder
    3) Change the names so they list in an alphabetical order (e.g. you renamed "celt_environment..." to "elt_environment")

FAQ:

- If they have an @ symbol in front of the filename does that mean anything?
    - Some have 2 x @ symbols in front of the filename. What is that for?

I'm sure this is all out there in 100 threads, however I have spent 3 hours trying to look for submod compatibility and there should be a simple resource. Perhaps a Google Sheet would be a good place to start?

FAQ:

I'm sure this is all out there in 100 threads, however I have spent 3 hours trying to look for submod compatibility and there should be a simple resource. Perhaps a Google Sheet would be a good place to start?
    The @ symbol will put the mod first in the order. Adding extra will do the same. So @@@_modname will load before @@_modname, which will load before @_modname

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    The @ symbol will put the mod first in the order. Adding extra will do the same. So @@@_modname will load before @@_modname, which will load before @_modname

So, it is possible to Subscribe via Steam, move the files to a temp folder, unsubscribe, rename the files in load order, copy them to Data?

I believe the @ symbols is just a way of changing the order of your mods. Putting an '@' symbol at the beginning of a mods name moves it to up to the top of the list to be loaded first. Not on my gaming pc and I forget if more '@' symbols move it up or down in the order but you can check that very quickly. Then just add or subtract according to where you need them. That is my understanding, I could be incorrect so confirmation would be appreciated.

I am all for simple resources. Also, I understand and can appreciate the volume of information surrounding DeI. However, I don't know that there is a more readily available solution than to read the entirety of the Sticky: [Download & Installation] Divide et Impera.

It contains a 'Mod Compatibility Information' section which lists:

Divide et Impera includes in itself these mods (in personalized form):
    Hegemonia, TTT, Meaningful Resources, Ancient Colors

*Using camera mods, other script mods, or startpos mods (Turn per year, etc) will break Divide et Impera's various custom systems.

Sub-mods for DeI can be found in this subforum.

Other mods that can be used with DeI:
    - Graphics mods such as GEM, Aztec's lighting and blood mods.
    - Music mods

Mods that are NOT compatible with DeI:
    Startpos mods (TPY, All Factions Playable, other overhauls).
    Script mods (camera mods, etc)
    All mods that change battle dynamics.
    All mods that change campaign dynamics.
    All external unit packs.

and includes a direct link to compatible DeI submods. It seems to make clear the types of mods that can readily work with DeI and directs interested users toward a sub-forum completely dedicated to sub-mods specifically made for DeI. It's a decently long read but shouldn't take up too much time for newcomers and it'll be the vast majority of what they need to know. Reading some of the Sticky: [Resource] DeI Manuals, Guides and FAQ and some of the recent posts in the other stickies wouldn't hurt either.

I'm not sure I see it as necessary for even inter-submod compatibility as any user interested in a submod would navigate to the submod's OP and see the compatibility types listed there. Newcomers should be reading the OP's of any mods they want and through the course of their reading come to understand that certain types of submods are not compatible making clear for newcomers what is going to work and what's not. Plus, there's only a handful of types.

Maybe I have been floating around here for too long and I have a feeling I may be missing your point. More specifically, what compatibility is to be tracked via google spreadsheet?

So, it is possible to Subscribe via Steam, move the files to a temp folder, unsubscribe, rename the files in load order, copy them to Data?
    That would indeed be possible. Ofc you would need to subscribe for the mod again when updates are released. But then you just do the same stuff again.

And if someone tells you to just use the unofficial mod manager because you can find mod conflicts and control load order. Just dont. Many of them are not being updated and you risk messing up the game. Just stick with the official one

@Satansblofish - thanks for the tips. I had a fairly extensive read of those threads before posting, however the main "issues" with forums are that knowledge is scattered all over the place and intermingled with incorrect and out of date info as well, and search is iffy. So double thanks to people like you who accumulate, filter and distill! This whole experience leads me to think a startup is needed to solve the modding, compatibility, load order and troubleshooting. With the rise of Patreon and other ecosystems, modding is going to become a serious business. Just looking at the ratio of threads and posts on forums are a pretty good indication of how essential mods have become.

@FlashHeart07 - Thanks. Yes it's a laborious process to re-subscribe but I bookmarked the Steam URLs into a folder structure in Chrome. The only drawback is that some of the larger mods like the Flora HD are too big for Steam so you have to re-download from slow/free CDNs like Mediafire.

Perhaps there should be a sticky on the Submods forum where people can post and update their collections of tried and tested submod combos and load orders?

@Greek Strategos - you renamed several of the mods in your screenshot and some of the other names don't show up in searches...

Many of the links in the post you shared are to Steam; just so any other non-seasoned forum readers understand as well, the process should be:

1) Avoid subscribing to the Steam version and look for the direct download link
    2) Download the files (zip, rar, etc) and extrack the .pack and (if applicable) .png files to the /Data folder
    3) Change the names so they list in an alphabetical order (e.g. you renamed "celt_environment..." to "elt_environment")

FAQ:

Ι see that most of your questions were answered from my good colleague Flash and other users. If you have any more questions feel free to reach me.
    Cheers