Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guides for BATTLES

Default Re: Guides for BATTLES

Just found it there, and thought it's good to know this stuff for the battles:

Armor:
    In general, fully effective against all attacks (at any direction), except:
    - Half effective against armor-piercing missiles (crossbow, longbow, gunpowder)
    - Half effective against armor-crushing melee (axes and maces)

Shield
    Effectiveness depends on direction of attack:
    - Against front: full effectiveness
    - Against side (left and right): half effectiveness
    - Against rear: zero effectiveness
    Exceptions:
    - Zero effectiveness against gunpowder (any direction)
    Unlike armor, shields do not have decreased effectiveness against armor piercing missiles (crossbow, longbow) or armor-crushing melee (axe and mace)

So basically, against crossbows/longbows, shield is better than armor. However, against musketeers, armor is better than shield.
    Shield is better than armor when fighting axemen.

Defense skill
    Applies only to melee attacks from the front, but always at full effectiveness against melee at the front.

Total base defense is armor + shield + defense skill as modified by the direction and damage type

Each armor upgrade adds +2.5 (approximately) to the base armor amount. So a unit with 10 base armor with a gold (x3) armor upgrade has approximately 17.5 armor.

to bypass the shield, which is carried in the left hand?

The shield is equally effective for left and right. The myth that shields don't work on the right side comes from RTW, in which it really didn't work for the right side. However, the game engine was modified in M2TW such that shields work on left and right equally.

Furthermore, units with shields stats but have shields that are worn on the back (such as pavisse crossbowmen and Giltine's chosen) behave the same way. This means that the pavisse crossbow's shield has no effect against missiles that hit the unit from the rear even though the shield is graphically worn on the back.

Also it was discussed on Discord about shields:

Shield for missiles is 50% from both side and 0% from behind.

AP+Gun = -75% shield and -75% armour
    Gun alone = -0% armour and -50% shield
    AP alone = -50% shield and -50% armour
    Last edited by Macaras; May 14, 2023 at 12:12 PM.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

In my case, it is not the Mongol horse archers that I use with my Fatimid campaign, but the Turkish archers and the Fari archers.
    If there are enough of them, you can completely disrupt the enemy by surrounding them to weaken them. I have used this tactic several times against Crusader armies or even against the armored horsemen of the Byzantines. I guarantee you that the tactic is quite functional !

Do Cuman and Mongol archers have the same abilities as Turkish archers in the game ? I haven't tested it yet.

Even if you have a unit less or two from your enemy, they demolish you. I cannot beat Serbians no matter what I do. They always seem to win, they have stronger units, and my archers are nothing close to even mediocre.
    It's like they cannot hit them. Now, I have created an entire army, my finances are -30.000 and I am hitting one of their two cities to be absolutely sure I will succeed. Also, their units always go to the map and find one of my unit and attack, while
    others never come for help or something. I don't know how this mechanic works.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by asapas View Post
    Even if you have a unit less or two from your enemy, they demolish you. I cannot beat Serbians no matter what I do. They always seem to win, they have stronger units, and my archers are nothing close to even mediocre.
    It's like they cannot hit them. Now, I have created an entire army, my finances are -30.000 and I am hitting one of their two cities to be absolutely sure I will succeed. Also, their units always go to the map and find one of my unit and attack, while
    others never come for help or something. I don't know how this mechanic works.
    however it is, upload your save!

How can I do this??

How can I do this??
    in folder /saves there's your save file. Upload it to any public site, eg. mega.nz or google drive.

for whatever reason, I can't read it.

come on, you're keeping so many very expensive units that you have to go bust.
    attacking more than 1 settlement at one time shouldn't be possible - and you're on two
    for the Byzantines, a very large faction, there're various obstacles for any initial expansion. you should think about order home, not attacking anybody else

Ok, however the initial question of why I cannot beat Serbians is not answered. I don't really understand why I cannot with this massive army win them.
    Every time they are on top in battles. My arrows never hit them and they have heavy units which destroy mine. Perhaps I need heavy units as well, but I don't know.

Even my mounted archers cannot do any damage to them. My question is battle oriented, not a campaign one

Ok, however the initial question of why I cannot beat Serbians is not answered. I don't really understand why I cannot with this massive army win them.
    Every time they are on top in battles. My arrows never hit them and they have heavy units which destroy mine. Perhaps I need heavy units as well, but I don't know.
    Even my mounted archers cannot do any damage to them. My question is battle oriented, not a campaign one
    Yes, you need heavy units. The Romans have plenty, don't they?
    The other way around, as Serbia, should be more difficult. And as Hungary - very difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12