Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Eagles Download & Instructions

Default Rise of the Eagles Download & Instructions

Rise of the Eagles Alpha 3.0

Download: HERE

How to install: simply drag the main folder inside your main MTW2 installation ...\mods\RotE and you're done.

What's new in 3.0: a ton of content. Literally, I'd be more brief if I told you what is not there anymore. Which is, a colossal amount of bugs that have been fixed.

- New factions
    - Completely revamped gameplay from the ground-up
    - Rebalancing of each and every unit after extensive testing and months of simulations
    - "Square formation" (schiltrom) has now been implemented for all foot soldiers excluding light infantrymen, and it has a specific workaround that makes it very similar to the real counterpart
    - All bonuses have been arranged again and their descriptions altered to fit the period
    - Rock-Paper-Scissors battle mechanics akin to Shogun 2, where each unit has a purpose and a suitable counter for every situation and its weaknesses are always specific

New factions include:

Bavaria
    A moderately powerful kingdom, balanced all around, has a unit for every situation. Its main weakness however, is precisely this: Bavaria doesnt excel in anything particular. It's a jack-of-all-trades slightly weaker in every aspect compared to the major factions.

Landwehr
    Light Infantry
    Fusiliers
    Grenadiers
    Lifeguard Fusiliers
    Lifeguard Grenadiers
    Hussars
    Dragoons
    Cuirassiers
    Uhlans
    Chevaux-Legers
    Artillery
    Generals Staff

Wurttemberg
    The finest German soldiers in the world were born here. Wurttemberg is a great secondary power with a strong military tradition and stubbornly courageous soldiers. During Napoleonic times, their spirit of camaraderie was at its peak under Napoleon's eagles and later they would support the flame of nationalism in Germany. This is a faction with particularly good morale and excellent elite troops.

Landwehr
    Jager
    Light Infantry
    Fusiliers
    Grenadiers
    Guard Grenadiers
    Chevaux-Legers
    Dragoons
    Horse Grenadiers
    Lifeguard Grenadiers
    Artillery
    Generals Staff

Kingdom of Italy & Kingdom of Naples
    The Napoleonic kingdom of italy and Naples were two of the major factions in central Italy that would later favour the italian unification or, by contrast, completely ruin its premise. In the case of the Kingdom of Italy, although they kept the Austrians at bay for all the Napoleonic Wars and the government had a chance to keep its territories under italian control, the nobility destabilized what little remained of the former kingodm, waiting anxiously to return to their former positions of power that the Austrians would, in their minds, grant them once again. Little did they know that this move would cost them all their previous freedoms and another 40 years of harsh foreign domination. In the case of Naples instead, the opposite happened, however, the aid that Joachim Murat, former king of Naples, provided Napoleon with, was too little too late.

Both kingdoms have essentially the same strenghts and weaknesses, however Naples has generally unwilling men and less discipline among its ranks, while the Kingdom of northern Italy is a more fine example of chivalry. They excel in cavalry tactics in forests and hilly terrain and their elite troops have great morale.

Militia
    Voltigeurs
    Chasseurs
    Fusiliers
    Grenadiers
    Velite Chasseurs
    Velite Grenadiers
    Neapolitan Royal Guard Grenadiers
    Neapolitan Lancers
    Chevaux-Legers
    Chasseurs-a-Cheval
    Dragoons
    Royal Guard Dragoons
    Cuirassiers
    Artillery
    Generals Staff

Russian Empire
    At this point in time Alexander I's Empire has a very strong reputation and its the only force capable of stopping Napoleon's advance, however, after Friedland and Eylau many doubted the miracle would happen anytime soon. But the Russian soldier was no force to mess around with: stoic, imposing, almost unnervingly oblivious to death and pain, an entire regiment of those tortured souls taken away from serfdom, when not voluntarily seeking service among the higher ranks from nobility, would discourage any army in Europe with its sheer presence.
    The Russians have a greater morale than any other faction and a tremendous bonus in snowy battlefieds (+8), they generally suffer less attrition in forests and can withstand more direct assaults from the enemy than any other beside the French. Their melee attack bonus is also the highest in the game, and their artillery has an exceedingly long range. The Cossacks are as quick as regular lancers and can withdraw faster. However, for all the bonuses those men get, they are not invincible. Upon contact, their light cavalry loses momentum rather quickly, forcing deep penetrations at crucial points in the battle; the range and quality of their muskets, alongside with the questionable accuracy of the men, makes them less effective at range than most other factions, especially at shorter distances against cavalry where they can miss an entire line even after firing a solid volley.

Opolchenie (Militia)
    Jager
    Mounted Jager
    Light Infantry
    Musketeers
    Grenadiers
    Lifeguard Grenadiers
    Hussars
    Dragoons
    Cuirassiers
    Lifeguard Cuirassiers
    Cossack Cavalry
    Lifeguard Cossacks
    Artillery
    Generals Staff

HOW DOES SQUARE FORMATION WORK?

The old schiltrom ability has been used to simulate square formation. Apart from the nature of the shape of the formation itself, which is round, there is no great difference: I've given the "short pike" ability to all foot soldiers' secondary weapons - which is, in this case, the bayonet - so that when cavalry charges, you can:

1 - form square
    2 - wait for cavalry to be in range and shoot a volley or two
    3 - when engaged in close range combat, switch to your melee attack and target the cavalrymen assaulting your unit

With this simple method, units in formation will still get their bonus against cavalry and will refrain from shooting, while at the same time attacking the enemy. Very straightforward. However, you'll need to micro manage your units a bit, because if you dont tell them to use "melee attack" when in formation, there is a tendency for them to do nothing and \ or try to shoot.
    Aside from this unpleasant side effect, it works as intended.

Why is iconic unit XXX not in the mod?

I'm aware that some of the most iconic \ elite units are not in yet, like French Carabiniers for example. However, you must keep in mind that I've used up 150 unit slots out of 500 allowed already, so I'm trying to save up space for the factions yet to be implemented. With a fixed budget one can work better, hopefully I'll have enough slots to fill in the gaps, if not, you'll have to live with it for the time being.

What's next?

I'll finish the Italian peninsula's factions - Papal States, Sicily and Sardinia\Savoy, then I'll proceed to the Ottoman Empire. Once those 4 are done, I'll release the next version.

Where's the Campaign Map?

I would love to answer that question. I have done the basic layout, the cities are set in place, the names of the regions - and the regions themselves - are awaiting testing. However, I'm not confident releasing a campaign without all of the factions already in. So you'll have to wait a bit more.
    Last edited by Sirlion; January 01, 2018 at 09:37 PM.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Rise of the Eagles Download & Instructions

This is AMAZING! I'm glad you are taking your time to develop the best mod you know you can make. I didn't even know you were including schiltrom/square formation (I had tested it myself a bit but failed), but that is awesome! Thank you for your hard work on this, and I can't wait for the future releases

Awesome work that you have done! Courage and keep it up. I like seeing this period and its style of battles in the M2TW.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Can't launch the mod,maybe missed mount.txt?

I did not modify the mounts at all, only the appearance. The user above your post could run it perfectly as screenshots indicate, so the problem must be on your end. Look for errors in RotE\logs if there are any.
    My Mods and Projects

- Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures

The cavalry works correctly. Perhaps the problem of don't start the mod, is the directory name; I had change "RotE_Alpha3" to RotE (When you unzip the RAR file, it creates that folder name)

P.S: Another reason could be that you don't use the Medieval II on Steam and the BAT file needs to be modified.

Code:
    cd ..\..
    start medieval2.exe @mods\rote\Configuration.cfg
    Last edited by Miguel_80; January 04, 2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Edited

Oh! I see,now it works

Nice work!, I mean great work!

Bernardius's Avatar Decanus
    SACRUM IMPERIUM ROMANUM NATIONES GERMANICAE

Great hopefully the campaigne will come soon! Napoleon TW lacks the modding possibility of the map which is a great pity!

Keep the good work going!! THANK YOU!
    EB II is finally out! ...NOW!!!...

Unglaublich gut. Love this so much.
    Med 2 is the best game, now with my most loved real timeframe. (Herr der Ringe ist noch besser)
    Please continue. You have a new big fan. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    The cavalry works correctly. Perhaps the problem of don't start the mod, is the directory name; I had change "RotE_Alpha3" to RotE (When you unzip the RAR file, it creates that folder name)

P.S: Another reason could be that you don't use the Medieval II on Steam and the BAT file needs to be modified.

Code:
    cd ..\..
    I'm afraid I'm also suffering this, but I'm not a modder and I have no clue as to how to change or add the Start Line. I'll have to wait for fix.

Hey Sirlion, I'm having a problem when launching the mod, instead of opening RotE it goes directly into Vanilla M2TW and I am following the install instructions to the letter. Any ideas on what could be wrong? (my other Mods like SSHIP, Last Kingdom and TATW open just fine).

Those of you that have been having the same issue, are you playing from a non-Steam copy? If so, please follow Miguel_80's recommendation. Otherwise the mod wont start. I'm aware that there are other mods providing a .bat file for non-Steam copies, I'll add one just in case if this method works. I apologize but I dont have an old CD copy anymore so I cannot test it.
    My Mods and Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm afraid I'm also suffering this, but I'm not a modder and I have no clue as to how to change or add the Start Line. I'll have to wait for fix.
    It's that simple. Correct folder and correct modfolder name:

...\Medieval II Total War\mods\RotE

Correct code in the .BAT file for Steam version:
    Code:
    cd ..\..
    Correct code in the .BAT file for DVD version:
    Code:
    cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\rote\Configuration.cfg

Thanks.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Good Work Nice
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

I want add myself to these people who salute and encourage you... really happy for see a project as this, hope you hold the line, =)

greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    It's that simple. Correct folder and correct modfolder name:

...\Medieval II Total War\mods\RotE

Correct code in the .BAT file for Steam version:
    Code:
    cd ..\..
    Correct code in the .BAT file for DVD version:
    Code:
    cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\rote\Configuration.cfg
    I can't play this mods. Mods is exits and I only see have two faction is France and England I had Configuration into kingdoms.exe

Specify better the type of error. If you have run the mod, What is the problem exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by mcnimitzpeters View Post
    I can't play this mods. Mods is exits and I only see have two faction is France and England I had Configuration into kingdoms.exe
    If you see France and England it means you are trying to run the campaign. The campaign is not finished yet. This release uses custom battles only.
    My Mods and Projects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast