Thread: Updating a Music mod for personal use?

PFC_Church's Avatar Foederatus

Icon1 Updating a Music mod for personal use?

So, there was this mod called, Authentic Ancient World: Roma Surrectum II Music Pack , and the creator has since left it dead for at least 2 years now. I LOVED this music pack. however since the updates about 2 or 3 years ago, it hasnt worked since. when the mod is installed, it simply disables ALL music.
    Now, I dont know much about modding, however, all I want to do is to get this music pack working for MY OWN PERSONAL USE. I will not be uploading it or anything to steam or where ever. I'm aware I'd need the creator's permission, and due the the lack of response on their end, thats not possible.
    So, How can I take this mod, and fix it? Or is there a way I can get a similar music pack? I used to play Roma Surrectum 2 back in the day as well, if they have that same music pack (I'd imagine so?) How would I go about modding into my game?
    Please give a good response and not just redirect me to the modding tutorial page (unless of course you give me a good starting idea of what I'd need to do then by all means). Do I need the mod files? (I can download them from steam) Do I need to contact anyone and ask them for more files?
    I've heard its difficult to change ot mod the music in Rome 2, but I dont actually know.
    Thank you
    Last edited by PFC_Church; January 01, 2018 at 02:27 PM.

Default Re: Updating a Music mod for personal use?

Well,

Firstly to answer to your main question is, No. You cannot update a music pack unless you are the creator, as all the paths etc and source music are stored locally, What you get as the end result mod is simply a converted version so the game will read it.
    Secondly, Roma Serrectum never updated itself after patch 17, thus that is the reason it does not work, fixing it is literally just repacking it from the updated wwise version.

In regards to you creating your own music mod using their music, Since it has no support anymore i personally would not see an issue with it as long as you credit them (assuming they created the work). I would suggest heading to Mackles Guide Make sure that you read everything, though Mackles guide is in a way outdated, youd have to learn all the rest of it yourself (it is possible, i taught myself, twice!). Of course you would need to get your hands on all the Roma Serrectum music files and make sure they are converted to wav before you could import them.

There are many music mods out there, I have one which i think you would enjoy as it has a similar sound though i prefer my own (obviously). Check out the Epic Music mod here

Heres a preview of it, to see if its your cup of tea.

If you plan on making your own mod, make sure you follow mackles guide, if you have any questions after that feel free to PM me, but make sure you read through the posts replies to make sure it hasnt already been covered!
    Last edited by Tyso3; January 02, 2018 at 07:26 PM.

PFC_Church's Avatar Foederatus

So how would "fix" this mod by opening it in a tool program and then just convert/repack it then? using wwise? I wasnt even thinking of reuploading it un less I was given consent by the mod owner and would obviously give credit. I just wanted it for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC_Church View Post
    So how would "fix" this mod by opening it in a tool program and then just convert/repack it then? using wwise? I wasnt even thinking of reuploading it un less I was given consent by the mod owner and would obviously give credit. I just wanted it for myself.
    As i said in my reply, you cannot edit someone elses mod, ever. As you do not have the paths or source files.

You would have to create the mod again from the ground up.