Thread: fav

Default fav

This is my fav mod. I think I've tried out a few dozen and this is the one I most enjoy. The visuals are fantastic and the factions make sense. Only two or three crashes which is about the same number as vanilla gives me.

As I was so fond of spies and assassins it took a bit to get used to the elevated price, I guess they are tools of the big players.

My first go was as the Seleucids, but it was too easy, I'd rolled over Egypt before Bactria or Parthia had hardly touched any of the upper satrapies. Next tried as Thrace which turned out to be good fun, Macedon came and came with army after army until we were reduced to a tiny kingdom along the Black Sea then finally through attrition the tide turned and Thrace overran Greece and Anatolia, then added the Levant, Egypt and Italy; set between east and west and civilized and barbarian this one of the most interesting factions. My current try is as Britain, even after many years with this game I hardly ever have played as barbarians. At first it seemed too easy as the Celts went down in a blitz across Gaul, but things got more interesting when Rome, Iberia, the Teutons and Macedon all then attacked at once, that's where things are at the moment trying to rush armies to all four fronts, Rome is collapsing but Macedon has nearly a dozen armies heading north-west.

My only complains might be that I'm actually a person who liked wardogs unrealistic or not. The British chariot general might be a little overpowered, not sure I like the headhurlers but haven't got much use of them anyway as have been using heavy infantry and cavalry. Oh, and there are just too many forests and hills in Europe, its hard to ever get a nice pitched battle, I'd have liked a little more clearing. Also the Macedonians build too many non-phalanx troops in my view.

As far as the money issue someone mentioned, I had the same issue with Thrace but finally got money going once invading Greece. With Britain I tried something I've not done often which was to put all taxes to minimum and built farms to grow the cities and once some money came from wrecking the Celts only recruited mercenaries as needed and didn't recruit anyone out of the cities, that eventually paid off richly.

Not sure who to play next, might try Greece or Macedon.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Default Re: fav

Glad to see you enjoy the mod!

Surprised the Seleucids were so easy - I find Parthia to be a nightmare to bring to heel, with their main army of cataphracts and horse archers. Took me a long time to break their backs (especially after they allied with the Baktrians).

I share your sentiments for Thrace; great mix of barbarian and Hellenic.

Unfortunately I removed wardogs along with the other fantasy-esque units (Arcani, Amazons etc). The forest issue is a complication of the RSIII graphics; if I scale it back there'll be too few trees (leaving it overly empty and such); I felt that the current setup left just about enough space for one or two strategic spots on the battlemap.

By the way, I'd recommend Greece. They are hoplite based and allow for a different challenge. Macedon is very similar to the Seleucids/Ptolemies/Baktrians/Epirotes etc.