Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loin cloths for the gaestaoi

Default Loin cloths for the gaestaoi

Hey anyway how I can get the lloin cloths patch for 2.3 the one on moddb doesnt seem to work thanks.

Default Re: Loin cloths for the gaestaoi

I'm not sure if anyone has done alternative models/textures for the naked units.

Are you shy, or just plain envious?

I would rather not look at some body's you know what whilst I am playing. seriously that weird.

Is there anyway I could possibly take that variant mesh out via the edu or something? thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_destroyer View Post
    I would rather not look at some body's you know what whilst I am playing. seriously that weird.
    You don't have too zoom in, you know. Naked combatants are historically accurate for that time period.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

It's history. Deal with it
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

*proceeds to remove them from game by him self*

Quote Originally Posted by Star_destroyer View Post
    Is there anyway I could possibly take that variant mesh out via the edu or something? thanks for any help.
    No, that's not how it works. This is a modeldb change you're looking at, but without an alternative model/texture to replace the existing one with, there's nothing you can do about it.

Your masculinity is that fragile, huh?

Perhaps it's more of a distraction than anything else? Although nearly-naked men running around in loin cloths would probably also be fairly distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Naked combatants are historically accurate for that time period.
    is that truly certain, though? the only thing we have that could be considered a contemporary source claiming it is polybius in the histories talking about telamon. unless there are other documents i've missed?

Quote Originally Posted by hlidskjalf View Post
    is that truly certain, though? the only thing we have that could be considered a contemporary source claiming it is polybius in the histories talking about telamon. unless there are other documents i've missed?
    I have no doubt of it. Even nowadays some combatants in African wars go to battle only with a rifle without clothes. For societies with so much interest in personal bravery as Celts, it would be great way to show off and to fight unrestrained. Also, when a person in clothes is hit by a melee weapon on an arrow, pieces of clothes gets pushed deep into a wound and it would be more difficult to clean it and it would slow down healing. With medicine and hygiene in ancient armies, I would say getting a festering wound could be a problem. Only thing I would wear to the battle in ancient times would be a proper armor. Only reason for clothes in battle I can see is a climate. Hmm, I think I might be a barbarian.

Makes me kinda wanna try a gag campaign where as soon as possible I replace every unit in my armies with the naked men. What do you guys think?

Oh, and by the way, don't listen to the condescending people in this thread. This thread is entirely okay. There is a loincloth patch, but it's only for original Europa Barbarorum that's for Rome Total War. You're out of luck otherwise.
    Last edited by nvm; December 29, 2017 at 07:18 AM.

That's because it's a complete waste of our modelling team's time and energy coming up with alternative models and textures just because some people might be uncomfortable with the reality of how some cultures chose to fight. This is a mod for adults who can approach the topic with maturity, if you can't handle context-appropriate nakedness, there's plenty of other mods out there.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    I have no doubt of it. Even nowadays some combatants in African wars go to battle only with a rifle without clothes. For societies with so much interest in personal bravery as Celts, it would be great way to show off and to fight unrestrained. Also, when a person in clothes is hit by a melee weapon on an arrow, pieces of clothes gets pushed deep into a wound and it would be more difficult to clean it and it would slow down healing. With medicine and hygiene in ancient armies, I would say getting a festering wound could be a problem. Only thing I would wear to the battle in ancient times would be a proper armor. Only reason for clothes in battle I can see is a climate. Hmm, I think I might be a barbarian.
    haha. i'm just saying it's good habit to differentiate conjecture from historical fact, especially when the naked gaul is a pretty common trope in depictions of antiquity.

but, yes, i also would like to be a barbarian.

Only thing I would wear to the battle in ancient times would be a proper armor. Only reason for clothes in battle I can see is a climate.
    polybius also said that the simple cloak was enough protection against the pila. which is strange to imagine, but.

polybius also said that the simple cloak was enough protection against the pila. which is strange to imagine, but.
    That's a proof. They were using mythril cloaks. I knew it.

But it is strange to imagine pila failing against cloak indeed. Like it makes pilum slide to the side of a body or something? Why on earth would anyone use pilum if it cant be used against simple cloak? Was it a tool against naked dudes? At least I know why some of nude warriors are wearing cloaks.

this is what the translation i've read claims:

But when the javelineers advanced, as is their usage, from the ranks of the Roman legions and began to hurl their javelins in well-aimed volleys, the Celts in the rear ranks indeed were well protected by their trousers and cloaks
    so it doesn't clarify pilum or otherwise. maybe the cloaks were made of boiled wool and extremely dense? in any case i believe the principal function of the pilum is to disable shields

actually, does anyone know if pila were around by telamon in 225BCE?
    Last edited by hlidskjalf; December 29, 2017 at 08:03 PM.

this is what the translation i've read claims:

so it doesn't clarify pilum or otherwise. maybe the cloaks were made of boiled wool and extremely dense? in any case i believe the principal function of the pilum is to disable shields

actually, does anyone know if pila were around by telamon in 225BCE?
    I think I read a description of one of their units what they wrapped cloaks around their chest in a thick layer. If they were from some dense material, I think that might help against lighter javelins in this case. But still, I consider light clothes of some units as a health risk. You need also wash clothes from dirt and blood after battle, and repair it. That seems like a too much unnecessary trouble, there are enough problems during campaign. If I was a general I would want to get soldiers to get healed and ready as soon as possible after a battle so I would encourage them to put clothes away if they don't have any advantage. Hmm, I think I am a barbarian. So maybe you are asking the wrong question. Do we have reliable evidence that all combatants in other lighter units fought in clothes? They should be naked unless it is confirmed.

Is there a mod to make their junk just a bit smaller? I feel threatened and emasculated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast