Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your Tricks, Strategies and Ideas

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus
    SJ, MM, Republic of the Banana (Philippines)

Default Re: share your Tricks and Shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by sgthunter View Post
    This is what I always do when im fighting on a thin street. Usualy only the 1st rows of the units are fighting so what I do is select my unit and order them to run trough the enemy. Once they are half way trough i click attack and 80% of the soliders are now in the fight.

Its more realistic if you ask me, In real life they didnt just let the 1st row fight, they clashed together and it was a total mess
    That's a nice trick, I tried it, and it works so much better, although your initial losses are higher than normal, still it does tend to work very well.

How can I get the TEMPLAR GUILD! I have played with England several times but always get the HOSPITALERS. Is ther e a special way of doing things to get them????

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

First off, unless you do edit the export_descr_guilds.txt, you can only have either a Templars Chapter House guild or a St. Johns Chapter House guild, not both. To get the Templars guild, you have to first destroy every St. Johns Chapter House guild that you have. Next, to get the Templars guild in a specific city/castle, you have to build up points for it. For every Crusade army created, it's 25 points. If the governor's chivalry is 5 or Greater, then that's 5 points per turn. You'll need 100 points to get the guild. For full info, check out this guide.

Here's some more information to follow up on that guild topic
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77577

"Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue...but if you can you should only do things you love" - Bruce Dickinson
    -Member of S.I.N.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere SOG View Post
    I have noticed that when a missile unit is set to f'ire at will', they tend to shoot at different enemy units depending on how close they are(from the same unit). Seen unit of arquebusiers, surrounded, fire off in all directions.

not usefull when you have limited units but quite usefull when you have a large number of them and you don't want to press pause in order to micromanage everything at every second(well, i don't pause anyway).

Something I just noticed last night: If you engage in a night fight as the attacker you will see torchlight circles where the enemy units are going to be deployed.
    Seems like an unfair advantage to me but at least it eliminates the aggravation of the enemy setting up in a far corner or the very back of their area and forcing you to reset formations to match.
    This may have been mentioned before but I didn't see it.

- Send one of your bishop, priest to Jerusalem region - he will gain the "Knight Of The Crusades" retinue.

- Need more young generals with up to 3 chivalry points ? recruit 2 or 3 Templar Knights/ Hospitaller and hunt small rebel armies with them after a clear victory almost every time a new young general will join your ranks.

regards

After a Battle or two when you get a unit down to like 1-5 men don't merge them with the others or retrain them. use them as security guards to hold simple positions to avoid the neutral and allied factions from wandering through your lands. This also helps rival agents from crossing bridges. Since I have recently played as Milan and Venice I have used these small bands to block the bridges that run north and south near Milan, Venice, etc. They also block narrow passages between the mountains. Also enemies don't even bother with them and won't attack unless they are in the way. By doing this you can secure trade resources by placeing a merchant with them or just place them on good resources so the others won't have a good selection to choose from. Doing this will save you florin because their upkeep cost is like 5-10 florin per turn which is money well spent in my opinion. Oh, also you need 8 units to crusade or to temporarily crusade and get the benefit another army does the work. I keep these little bands on hand to help me reach 8 units. After a few crusades you will have little bands of men that have 9 experience.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongGuy View Post
    - Send one of your bishop, priest to Jerusalem region - he will gain the "Knight Of The Crusades" retinue.
    Do you use any mod, cause I've sent loads of priests to Jerusalem, but never got the Knight of the crusades retinue, what does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by bchelmo View Post
    After a few crusades you will have little bands of men that have 9 experience.
    Units that have 9 experience are definitely worth retraining, even if they are just spear militia.
    There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

How are you, sir? I can speak English very well! I learn it from a book!
    Manuel, Fawlty Towers

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

[quote=Gurbebio;1561201]Do you use any mod, cause I've sent loads of priests to Jerusalem, but never got the Knight of the crusades retinue, what does it do?

I simply add them to the crusading army and it will make them knights after a couple of turns regardless if they are in juruselame or not
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

chris_uk_83's Avatar Physicist

I'd love to read the guild guides but the links to them seem to be dead. Is it just my computer not following the links or are they really dead?

Great tips by the way.

Gurbebio,

well actually ... i don't know if it works for priests however almost every new bishop which i sent down to Jerusalem received the "Knight Of The Crusades" retinue after some turns. He was trained in a city with a master theologian's guild, maybe its also an important fact, i don't know all the triggers but generally i think agents created in a city with their concrete guild "learn" faster and gain more retinues.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

if you want to avoid desertion use the ship and by the way
    when u reach the Jerusalem and before u sieging
    pick other generals who are in the city and make them as crusading army too because that will make their army experienced and also a chivalry to the generals also u can get money for that from the stupid pope(you have to do this in one term other wise all will be desert)

looks like I got the last laugh
    I eat because I'm Unhappy
    I'm Unhappy because I eat; It's a Vicious Cycle

To the very southwest of the map, in Africa, you'll see three highly valuable trade resources (gold and ebony). However, there's also a black, unexplored area at the lower border of the map there. If you send a merchant into the blackness it'll reveal five additional gold and ebony resources.

When I start a new game, I always make eight or so merchants and ship them all down to the southwestern border of the map to collect (along with a few of my youngest and most promising priests, who'll convert the Moors in the area).

[quote=Schattenjäger;1564365]To the very southwest of the map, in Africa, you'll see three highly valuable trade resources (gold and ebony). However, there's also a black, unexplored area at the lower border of the map there. If you send a merchant into the blackness it'll reveal five additional gold and ebony resources.

I have got to try that!!

Units that have 9 experience are definitely worth retraining, even if they are just spear militia.[/quote]

You are right, retrain them when they get to 7-9 experience then you will have some pimped up boys and you paid a minimal upkeep cost while they "crusaded" their way to the top.

I searched the thread (keyword: 'spy'), and found nothing on this, so...

When your turn is over and the game is cycling through the AI nations, sometimes you see your own garrison unit cards for a city flash flash on-screen for a moment in the UI - they vanish again after that particular nation's turn is over.

I think this means that AI nation has a spy in that city, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone?

certain way to get the masons guild

first upgrade a castle to a citadel then convert it to a city and bingo you vill get the masons guild offer

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    I don't know if anyone noticed yet, but your wall-towers only become fully functional if you have a unit assigned to each tower.
    for example: If you want the 2 front towers and two side towers on the walls to shoot, you better have 4 units reinforcing the walls.
    Yeah I don't get why that is now, it seemed to make more sense that all the towers just shot anyway. I mean surely there's some dumb peasant or man who can pretend to shoot a bow from a secure tower. . . Oh well that's just me but I would put the tower thing back to auto >.> <.<
    The pleasure about a dream is that it's a fantasy. If it ever came real then it wasn't a dream.