Thread: Tips for Sparta?

Default Tips for Sparta?

I like playing as Sparta but my main problem is I end up losing Heraclea and Kythera. I try and build up as many naval forces as possible in Kythera but I am attacked endlessly buy at least 3 other factions who have better naval capabilities than Sparta. The same goes for Heraclea, typically my forces there are small and I am attacked by 3 other factions.

What areas should I focus on?

Default Re: Tips for Sparta?

I would build a full naval garrison stack (and possibly a barracks if possible) in Kythera. Forget Heraclea.
    You will lose it but in time you will reconquer. Sparta is a bit of a slow starter and don't forget...Historically speaking, Sparta lost Heraclea too and the Thebans recaptured it until Sparta was ready to take it back.
    Make sure to read the manual, this mod is like no other (which is what makes it so great). Do not waste time spending money on buildings until middle/late game (unless it's food). Recruit units ASAP both army and navy.

Should I just sit put and build up or should I attack? Should I take Olmypia or try and get Argos to attack me prior to 420 bc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Rogered View Post
    Should I just sit put and build up or should I attack? Should I take Olmypia or try and get Argos to attack me prior to 420 bc?
    Every campaign will play out differently so it it is hard to say. I would not worry about Argos until you get a notification (or if they do actually attack). Focus on Southern Greece in the Pelopponesus. You can take Elis, Mantinea, Akaian League 1 by 1. If possible get them to declare war on you as always - maintain good relations with Korinthos and Thebes.

Do not forget your special homoioi units are unique. If you lose them - they are gone forever. One thing I love about this mod is the love I have for my soldiers - you really feel for them and are determined to not lose them.

In battle, keep your hoplites together. I find Issus formation works well. Always maintain your line but collapse an enemy flank (or 2) with your hoplites/skirmishers.

Skirmish as much as possible before engaging your phalanx (keep you units off skirmish mode so they do not retreat).

Sparta is not very innovative and have no cavalry until late game...so recruit mercenary cav. Use them to remove light skirmisher units (do not charge in against hoplites unless it is a weakened unit on a rear charge).

If possible use skirmishers to shoot enemies in the back and go into mele mode and chase broken units on the retreat with skirmishers and cav.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Also...Barracks can be key. Do not build too many or you lose recruitment capacity but you need them in cities vulnerable to naval attacks (Kythera, Pylos, etc.).

If you do find yourself in a naval battle. Ensure ships are on ram mode and double team enemy ships.

If you need to see some tactics in real time skim through my weak channel.

https://youtu.be/5gDRTEMnSqE

This is my current Argos campaign.
    There are some other great lets play videos that show brilliant tactics on you tube.

Thank you for the advice it is appreciated.

One more question. To get other factions to declare war on you, do you simply impede on their lands to anger them? Some times Argos will declare war on me out of nowhere (before 420 bc) when I have done nothing to them lol.

Thank you for the advice it is appreciated.

One more question. To get other factions to declare war on you, do you simply impede on their lands to anger them? Some times Argos will declare war on me out of nowhere (before 420 bc) when I have done nothing to them lol.
    If there are no diplomatic penalties you see...if Elis, Mantinea, and Akaian league are not military allies with other large factions do what you want with them. Even then Korinthos, Thebes would probably take your side anyway.
    Try to make diplomatic pacts early on.

Raiding in ones territory with a stack or 2 will certainly help get someone to declare war on you.

Sorry for not responding earlier. I did not see any new message notification.
    Anyway it seems than I am not needed because Sportfriend here demonstrated not only a keen strategic mind but knowledge of the game mechanics as well. Could not have said it better myself.
    + rep mate