Thread: Advice on beating the Phalanx

Default Advice on beating the Phalanx

Hi guys I need a bit of help on defeating the Phalanx as Rome. First a bit of background, I just had kicked Epirus out of Italy a day established a puppet government over them. But only a few turns after that Syracuse declared war on me and I've been struggling to defeat their Phalanxes. I had the same problem when facing Epirus but eventually just either ambushed their armies or outnumbered them. Whenever I fought a Phalanx it just seems to push through my lines even when facing my own Triarii, rarely taking equivalent damage even when surrounded. In short an I missing some way to defeat these units with less losses or is it just because I'm playing on legendary?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Advice on beating the Phalanx

Legendary gives enemy units very large bonuses so their levies will have higher stats or similar to your elites. Also new patch will bring some few rebalances to hoplites and pikes.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Ok thank you Kam, I just had never had a Phalanx unit literally push my units out of the way even when playing legendary before.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

That is happening in base game too. Nothing can be done about it.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Ok thank you for these quick replies Kam

antred's Avatar Senator

IMO one should never expect plausible results when playing on legendary.

If you want a very hard challenge, the recommendation is "Very Hard", and then in campaign you enter game settings -> pull the "Battle Difficulty" slider to Normal (or hard, which does give hard coded bonuses to AI troops on the battle map).

Personally, I'd recommend a combination of Hard/Hard with the additional official submod "Hardcore noCAI". It gives the best experience in my humble opinion.

Lol true, I just have never seen that happen before

Ritterlichvon, I could but I'm usually too stubborn to do that, and will usually fight a battle numerous times to win
    ill have to. Heck out that mod

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

For roleplaying purposes go H/H and just handicap yourself to oblivion. It's the only way to play this game. TW series is not suitable for 'challenge'. If you care to play a challenging game I'd recommend Ultimate General: Civil War.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Advice on beating the Phalanx ???
    Be the phalanx

Waidizss, CA just need some to come up with a way so that their difficulties makes the AI smarter and not give them heavy bonuses
    Greek Strategos, true but then I'd be playing a Greek

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Advice on beating the Phalanx ???
    Be the phalanx
    +1

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Unleash hell! Do not repent!
    Warfare grants us no lament
    Let your weapons slash and tear
    This is no place for fear

Charge with force! Break their ranks!
    No remorse, crush their flanks!

Pulverize their human wall!
    We shall destroy!

Think that's what you're looking for
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

I can spot a viking in you.....if you catch my drift

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

[Update] Waidizss I did what you said and turned it down to hard, I was able to crush the army that previously steamrolled me
    now im feeling good about conquering Sicily in the name of the Res Publica ROMA INVICTA
    also gonna be trying out the Italian axemen to see how they fare against the Hoplites