Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: a worrying development in modding

Default Re: a worrying development in modding

Quote Originally Posted by ♔PikeStance♔ View Post
    Actually no. The minute you publish it becomes public domain. You have protection via this site, but that does not exclude anyone downloading it and claiming it as their own.
    dunno what you mean because if taken literally it doesnt make sense

anyway, the point was that just because the end result is very similar doesnt mean it was copied

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

In my opinion (and Speaking generally on the topic) , Money should stay out of modding. It will only continue to go downhill if it becomes the expectation that you pay them to work on their mod. Lootboxes and E-sports has already done alot of damage to our games.. only we can change this fashion...

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Magister View Post
    There is an aspect about this entire debate that I have not seen too commonly in the discussion, save for being vaguely referenced by Caligula on the first page, in regard to competition. I consider it highly important to consider:

Many aspiring modders, myself included, often turn to their peers, fellow modders and artists within the community for assistance, support, and even team coordination. TWcenter itself has always highly favored this behavior by having enough forums for any modder to get the help he/she needs, or to ask for the assistance of others. What I believe many misunderstand is that when money becomes involved in the process of modding, polite teamwork and a sense of community goes right out the window. Instead of a modder viewing their community as a place to ask questions and receive help, their community becomes competition, and every single person modding the same game becomes competition. This is business logic, and the foundations of Capitalism as we know it. Competition in the business world drives quality and evolution, yet in the modding world, competition actually stifles quality. Why? Because modders who are aspiring and learning will have no further space to grow when larger modders who have worked on their mods for years begin asking for money for their content. They would offer no assistance of any time to newer modders just starting out in the great world of modding. After all, it is human nature to put down competition, and destroy perceived threats. Money would undoubtedly take preeminence over the sense of community.

It is human nature to put an end to competition, and when this comes into play with modding, the community will suffer from a decline in mods. Fewer new generation modders will bother with modding, unable to rely on their more experienced peers and their modding community as a whole becoming a rabble of modders aggressively competing for the money of the game's fans and players. When the number of mods declines, the number of players interested in the game declines likewise, and the game looses whatever community was built around it.

I understand the desire to be compensated for a hobby which consumes lots of time. However, personally, I consider playing the game itself to be a hobby on the same level as modding the game, and for many modders, modding the game becomes more fun than actually playing it. Should one expect compensation for merely playing a game? A person will spend just as much time playing a game and becoming skilled at it as they will modding, learning from peers, and becoming a talented modder. Donations are a different matter. Tools used for modding can indeed be expensive, yet putting the mod behind a paywall outright does no good. If a modder places their mod behind a paywall only for the sake of "being compensated for their time", they should take a look at the bigger picture, and consider the skills they are learning while they mod. With that said, donations are often unnecessary for the same reasons.

The files of many games, old, and new are written in a still widely used programming language, such as C++ or C#, if one becomes skilled enough with either of those languages, they can take those skills to a professional workplace and make many times more money programming than they will forcing fans of a game to pay for their mods. That is the bigger picture. Modding pays for itself in many different ways. Not only in terms of skill and technical acumen, but also in terms of who you will get to know while you associate with peers in modding and ingrain yourself into a community. A modder who seeks money for their mods is wasting the skills they have learned from others and while modding the game for enjoyment. Just about anything you do in modding, from creating models to programming an AI has a job equivalent in the professional world.

Let's also not forget that when money becomes involved, the number of legalities involved increases exponentially. You would have to create every bit of content in your mod from scratch, with no support, but rivalry from other modders, and no nicely organized free tutorials to assist you, if you were to release a successful mod in a community where mods require money to download and play. Otherwise, you would risk lawsuits, and other legal issues from corporations and individual.

If I have said anything in this post that is blatantly false, foolish, or ignorant, I invite whoever knows better to rebuke my opinion on the matter with hard evidence. I ask for but one example where a modding community with paid mods thrives more than a modding community with free mods. I am legitimately curious as to whether or not there are any cases where paid mods have fostered a thriving, friendly, and evolving gaming community.
    Right to the point.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I am against paying mods. But, i don't have any problem giving voluntary by the community or fans a donation. Without that the mod has any influence of receiving money. The moddders just continue they're work, without thinking about receiving money for developing it.

I think modders should be free to do whatever they see fit with their mod, if they want to charge money for the mod that's their decision, though if they do that they should also be ready to defend their work against copyright claims, then it's up to us the consumer to judge if the mod is worth the money or not

best would be if situation remained more or less as it is now, free mods with donations and patreon

some keep mentioning lootboxes and practices but let's not forget that the reason these things are popular is not entirely the publisher's fault, it's the consumer's aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    I think modders should be free to do whatever they see fit with their mod, if they want to charge money for the mod that's their decision, though if they do that they should also be ready to defend their work against copyright claims, then it's up to us the consumer to judge if the mod is worth the money or not

best would be if situation remained more or less as it is now, free mods with donations and patreon

some keep mentioning lootboxes and practices but let's not forget that the reason these things are popular is not entirely the publisher's fault, it's the consumer's aswell
    Donations are all you can legally ask for.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Since CA\SEGA retain the right to whatever you create (it's a contested point, I know, but it remains) you cannot sell your work, eg only give access if money is received. Asking for donations is fine however from that point of view.

TWC at present does not permit asking for donations by third parties because of the legal can of worms that comes with it.

I know Paradox has been unbashful taking modding work. One such example is Mass Transit for Cities Skylines which contained several ideas used in Mods. I do not believe they made any attempt to block the previous mods.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567