Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

Default Re: Tutorial: How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

My guess for the characters is that their names aren't in the names list they need to be in. I forget the name of the file, but they need to be listed there for their names to show up. I am having the same trouble with the expanded.txt and the sm_factions so if someone can help us out that would be great.

Vorge

Did you like my post? If so + rep please

Ali_the_English's Avatar Tiro
    I live in Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, England

The names files that need to be edited are called descr_names and names.txt
    It may be necessary to unpack or download the names.txt file.
    Currently working on Dominion of the Sword

Problem with some of those factions is they have no where to move, ireland would be stuck on that island with 5 crappy provinces, england is really only big enough for the two factions already on it.

If anything the factions to add would be some in the areas where things just get dominated by a few big powers... areas like germany or the magyar area or the middle east.

Hello all, new to modding here. I attempted to add the normans as an irish faction in TLR, however i have run into some problems. Iv followed this tutorial to the best, which i believe is perfect. My problem is that the normans die right at the start of the game. Not only that, everything in rome dies as well for no reason, and the papal states take over the city i gave the normans. I am not sure at all what is going on, any help would be appreciated, thanks. -Leon

Milos98's Avatar Semisalis

Looks like you have a problem in descr strat. Have you checked your log file?
    Regards, Milos98

Yes i have and it says absolutely nothing. Something along the lines of, "beginning mtw2 log file date" That is of course if i was looking at the correct file.
    I can post what i added tomorrow morning as i am on my laptop right now. Im 100% sure though that i did everything properly. I even used what the tutorial had (this is my 1st ever attempt to mod), such as armies, leader, his wife, except for of course the (x,y). -Leon

Have you deleted the map.rwm file?
    Regards, Milos98

Ummm, i dont think the tutorial mentioned that. As i never ran the unpacker. I worked from the files the mod came with. But i can give it a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion, -Leon

Dragon Tex's Avatar Foederatus

If I'm not mistakened, the file in there to begin with. Check "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\base" and you should see it if you have M2TW installed in that dir. Also, did you give them a settlement? I'm thinking if they die to start off with, it's because they don't have a settlement. You will also need to know the x y of that settlement and do a search in your descr strat file because there will be rebels in that settlement, just delete that line. PM me if you need further help.
    Last edited by Dragon Tex; July 13, 2007 at 03:50 AM.

Ill check it tomorrow, also im not sure what you mean by check if i have MTW2 installed in that directory. I did give them the settlement, gave them 1. I deleted it from the rebels, put the proper (x,y), and copied over the characters and armies that where put here by the tutorial. I copied them since it was my 1st attempt i wanted to make sure i had the basics done properly.
    Also, for some weird reason, the pope gets the city and everything in rome dies. Not sure how or why either. Thanks again, -Leon

Dragon Tex's Avatar Foederatus

It's the default dir you installed your game to.

My guess is you haven't taken the city away from the Rebels or whatever faction originally had them. I had this error early on when following this tutorial too. Make sure to get rid of the city AND the garisson from the rebels.

Well i have searched by the (x,y), however i do not turn up anything. I also already deleted the entries from the rebels. Even now that i just checked for entries in the descr_strat file, i only find the town under the normans, and nothing about rebels.
    P.S.
    Here is the code and the way i wrote it. I copied the code from the tutorial concerning the characters as was my 1st try i wanted to get the basics down. I simply changed it from Duke William to NE Bodyguard, as the game wouldnt even load the campaign otherwise. Oh, and i attempting to run it with TLR mod, and it does not make use of the norman faction.
    Code:
    character	Robin, named character, male, leader, age 40, x 79, y 279
    traits GoodCommander 2 , Intelligent 2, VictorVirtue 3
    army
    unit		NE Bodyguard				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character_record		Cecilia, 	female, age 36, alive, never_a_leader

relative 	Robin, 	Cecilia,	end

faction	normans, trader henry
    denari	10000
    denari_kings_purse	5000
    settlement
    {
    	level town
    	region Wexford_Province

year_founded 0
    	population 1750
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator england
    	building
    	{
    		type core_building wooden_pallisade
    	}
    	building
    	{
    	  type hinterland_square town_square
      }
    }

The mod your using doesn't use the normans? Are you sure of it. Also. The reason all the romans die automatically is that somehow you altered them just slightly. Maybe 1 to many enters or something like that. To help you out with your code. You need the characters and armies under the part about cities. I'm not sure if this is exactly how you have it in your descr_strat, if so then the game might not be recognizing Robin as part of your faction.

Vorge

Yes i am sure, i checked under....which file....not sure. But the one that contains the names of factions such as "(normans)normans". It was left at normans, thus the name was not changed so the faction cannot be included. It is also not in the strat file, i added them myself. Ill give your suggestion a go and let you know how it turns out, thanks. -Leon
    EDIT:
    Im looknig at the way the strat file for the mod is set up. The layout is similar to my own, city entries are below characters.
    Upon further testing, it appears the game does not recognize the name Robin. I moved over 1 of the characters from a different faction, sure enough the normans were not detroyed. Only problem is any other characters that had relation to the 1 i took also came.
    I added a direct copy of the english name list and renamed it for the normans. I suppose it did not work. Is there anything else i could do for the game to try to recognize the name? Or could i just steal a character and the game will run ok? Thanks again.
    Last edited by invictus; July 13, 2007 at 06:06 PM.

I am wondering why when I play my normans faction that none of my units can move out of york?The city is surronded by the faded red circles like it is besiged but nobody is surronding it.

Edit:I actually discovered that aparently some rebels were hidden around the settlement.So I fought and killed them.Then I could move just fine.But,I also noticed before I killed the rebels that when my cities garrision was full and I recruited an extra unit it imediatly became a rebel.
    Last edited by Samuel the Great; July 21, 2007 at 03:54 PM.

Hi
    i Have a problem and are wondering if you can help
    i have done the first bit of the tutorial abd wen i go to the
    campaign faction select i have a 2 england banners 1 saying normans but wen i clik normans it says i encounterd a problem and quits the game
    please help im new to mod this is my first mod that i could see working

EDIT: plus i cant find the buildings folder
    Last edited by selenius4tsd; August 20, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

First of all you should look at your log file.
    When you added the settlement in descr_strat, have you deleted the rebel entry for that settlement? ( Two factions cannot share settlement)
    Regards, Milos98

Hello,
    First, Let me thank You for this wonderful tutorial that everyone can use.

I've Tried what you did.. But i had many troubles.. So checking the Log.. Fixing them again.. Check the log etc.. Couple of Crashes and going back to the menu.. I fixed them all.
    Now , i can start my game, And play the country i created.
    I used the Saxons, and I created a new Country in Marseilles, with 2 spies, 1 priest, 3 more generals!..

Now my only problem:
    I have edited the expanded.txt and fixed the names.. Yet, i am always getting The same name of the Saxons.. no matter what i do. I have edited the Name outside the } into Templar Knights Order..

I have edited the Description of the campaign and i am getting No description
    I have edited the symbol RPG into white and red only.. still i am getting the same flag..

Can anyone help? Please.. Very appreciated!

Anyone? .. Everyone ?
    No one can help me with that.. I mean, it is a small issue compared to the Big work you guys did in the Game!

tx..