Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

Default Re: How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

Hi I’m wondering how I can add, let’s say a faction from the mod ROTK to the vanilla campaign or one from the americas/British isle/crusades. I’ve been trying to look around on YouTube, googled it and here on the twcenter, the closest thing I’ve found to adding factions is this thread, any help would be appreciated

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Use this tutorial and then supplement the new faction entries from the TATW mod. There is a detailed tutorial in that form as well about transferring existing units from one mod to another.

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

So i downloaded the peninsula italica mod, and i noticed there was like 5-6 factions not actually implemented into the game, so i decided id put them in for my own personal pleasure. I put a rhaeti faction in just fine, but whenever i edit export_descr_buildings the game crashes and fails to load. All I did was literally ctrl f to replace lines with a similar gaul faction [boii] with the rhaeti. So every line that read
    recruit_pool "NE Trebuchet" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { boii,
    for instance, became

recruit_pool "NE Trebuchet" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { boii, rhaeti
    except it insta crashes the game. i even manually went in and added the lines to ensure there wasnt some error, but i still get the crash. This mod uses an AOR system, is that where the error might lie? I'm not fully editing what i ought to be doing? Seems like i followed the guide 100% correctly.

edit: holy is twc laggy now a days. what happened???
    edit2: to be clear the game doesnt crash and the faction works until i attempt to edit descr buildings.

edit3: another problem is a separate faction [which already had its units put into this mod it just had no cities] constantly has its family members die. If i get a new son from adoption, he dies literally that very turn. Anyone got a clue? lol
    Last edited by Squiggle; April 13, 2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Blog Entries

EDB - the above format is incomplete, as such it's difficult to ascertain what might be wrong. It should look like this:

recruit_pool "NE Trebuchet" 1 0.4 3 0 requires factions { boii, rhaeti, }

Try running this EDB checker for picking up basic errors.

Dying - your faction is missing an assigned bodyguard unit, I call it the 'harakiri' bug.

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Alright, I fixed the formatting issue i spoke of earlier, but how do i assign a bodyguard unit to this faction? The king already has one, so im guessing this is a weird formatting mistake where it was assigned only partially?
    Last edited by Squiggle; April 14, 2019 at 01:57 PM.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Blog Entries

It's an EDU ability (general_unit) that gets assigned to the unit the faction uses as default bodyguard - at coming of age and adoptions. Without it the character coming of age will die immediately. It's described in my tutorial.

I am a total noob at modding, only recently have I got the adding a character to work, and not every time. I started at that point to eventually get to this point, of adding an entire faction. What I want to do is add my family into Stainless Steel 6.4, I want to add specific banner, set characters and a family tree. I hope to get into deeper stuff with it after that, such as specific photos for family members etc., but want to start small first.
    Will this manual work for me? I plan to start my first attempt tonight, just wanted to ask before I did in-case anyone can tell me it'd be a waste of time or need something more specific. Thanks for the instructions!

Blog Entries

For family trees have a look here. Creating portraits is described here.

Thank you for the links! Will this manual work for adding factions to Stainless Steel? I only ask again because I see in the tutorial it says it does not apply to Kingdoms

when I'm adding the faction name to playable factions do I substitute what I want the faction to be called instead of Normans/Saxons? Since they're not an extension of SS?

Blog Entries

Where did you see that the tutorial here says it's not for kingdoms? That could be in connection with the existing factions?

Adding new factions is described here.

I am not sure if SS still has slots left, the max is 31 factions in the descr_sm_faction file.

thanks for baring with me, I really appreciate the help! Would you recommend that, on SS, I replace an existing faction instead of creating a new one? The first page says this

How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

In many respects it is easier to add a new faction this way than from complete scratch - both factions are already half-implemented into the game. Bare in mind that using these two will only open up so many new faction slots; if you want to add more than two, you will need to follow the other tutorial. Also, this tutorial does not apply for Kingdoms.

Blog Entries

Replacing (cloning) an existing but unused faction is the easiest introduction to creating a faction. Check the factions in descr_sm_factions against the factions entered in descr_strat, you may find one that is not used yet - that's when you can follow this tutorial.
    Otherwise check if the descr_sm_factions hasn't got 31 factions yet and follow my tutorial.

About kingdoms - it must be related to 'you can't do this with the kingdoms campaigns, eg crusades' - because there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to do this with an updated version of the game.

FYI to anyone doing this currently. This may have been talked about, but something I just discovered as, I have just begun doing this... All of my folders in the data/text file that have been unpacked have to be set to "Read Only" after I edit them, everytime. Not sure why, but if they aren't it doesn't seem to do any of the changes I make. (Windows 10)

Blog Entries

You misunderstand the principle - the TXT files in the data\text folder are not used by the game, they are used by the game to create the STRING.BIN files from which the game then reads.
    Occasionally this doesn't happen automatically for weird reasons, all you have to do then is to delete the STRING.BIN file of which you have edited the TXT file.
    Do take note - Steam does not generate new STRING.BIN files from battle, strat, shared and tooltips TXT files, only the disk version does.

That said - none of the files in the data\text folder will be read if you haven't set the game's CFG file to do so - something that isn't mentioned in this tutorial as it is not required.

May I recommend that you install my Bare Geomod set up and then edit files in there?

Hi,
    this didn't properly work for me even though I followed each step to the detail. I am able to add saxons to the campaign, give them a settlement and play as them, but am not able to change anything else. Any changes like changing the faction color, culture and religion in the descr_sm_factions file are not present in the actual campaign. Same goes for changes in the export_descr_building text files and changing names in the descr_names and names.txt.string.bin files.
    I also tried reinstalling the game and only swapping the colors of an existing nation (Spain) - didn't work either.
    Does it have to do anything with the fact I am using the steam version of the game? (I suppose it does considering the post above) If so, how should I approach this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

It takes some jumping through hoops to get the game to read edited files. Make your life easier by installing my modding setup and do your editing (and playing\testing) in there. And if you need to unpack some files because they are not present then do it this way.