Thread: Money?

Default Money?

I started a short normal/normal Roman campaign. I immediately boosted my taxes and built roads.

But I am into deficit spending, and I don't see a way out.

Help! (I know I could send the army home, but we are at war.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-12-12 20-37-57 Money.jpg  

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Money?

It's early days by the looks of it and nothing to worry about. Start conquering, it's the best way forward. High taxes are fine early game but lower them later and micromanage your settlements correctly(Ports, Roads, Traders, mines, population growth, certain shrines & normal taxes) this helps create Governors with positive traits, which pays dividends in the long term

Additional info: It can also depend on how efficient your armies are too, if you have overly expensive units that really don't perform cost effectively, then you're wasting money, the trick is to build armies that can handle almost any situation reasonably well, not armies that can handle any one type of enemy composition like a beast, but armies that you can auto resolve without fear of certain units getting wiped out, and strong enough that you can win against the odds when fighting manually, combining these strategies will help keep a strong grip on your economy, it has often served me well
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; December 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo & update
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Rome has a very large military buildup at the start (due to the war with Pyrrhus); simply conquer or disband one of your armies. It's the best strategy for Rome in my opinion

I had a money problem too as Rome, but my economy quickly stabilized after taking the rest of Italy and parts of Sicily. To reduce debt during the first few turns ramp up your taxes on all starting cities and move that army in Rome down to beat down Pyrrhus, after that it's pretty easy to get rid of the Epirots in Italy. Currently sitting at a decent income w/ my Roman campaign now, turtling up and building my economy. Like Saul said, start conquering a few provinces and your money troubles will go away.

Edit: Added some pictures for context.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pyrrhus gone = Tarentum & Croton for Rome

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My army upkeep expenditure is about the same as yours, so that shouldn't be that big of a problem for you later on. Make some gains and continue building your economy and you should be fine. I was in the red too in the beginning, just takes some time to get out of it. Also should note I'm playing a H/M campaign.
    Last edited by TheCataphract; December 17, 2017 at 02:51 PM.

...and I thought I was the only one who had a Heroic Victory in that part of Italy.

Same generals as well. Hat's off to you!

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

@TheCataphract; under control & looking good laddie
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; December 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Default High taxes

In Vanilla RTW, high taxes were a necessity if there is a governor in the city, otherwise he would become corrupt (under normal tax, or low tax).

Did this mod change it, so that it is possible to have normal taxes without getting the governor corrupt?

^I never noticed that before! I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Wikus's Avatar Laetus

alas money is alittle slow starting out with The Teutonic Tribes. I've taken over several cities across Germania as well as Gaul so far. My question is about whether I am activating the script in-game correctly or not. I am double clicking as suggested and the advisor portrait recedes but I cannot tell due to factions being somewhat idle/not conquering neighboring independent states and what not.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

Just tried this. Going on massive negative income with all factions. Worst affected are Bactria and Parthia.