Thread: Pyrrhus of Epirus. Mercenary General, Lovable Rogue and Gentleman.

Default Pyrrhus of Epirus. Mercenary General, Lovable Rogue and Gentleman.

Just a little post to praise DeI and the team behind it.
    I haven't played DeI (or total war for a while, after falling out with both Attila and Warhammer 1)

I recently started a new game last week as Epirus on Hard/Normal.

And it just so happened to be the most epic R2 game I have ever played!

I started out trying to survive in the heel of Italy, barely able to fend of the angry Italians trying to bring retributions towards Pyrrhus for past transgressions.
    Only being able to recruit 1 unit at a time, having to rely on mercs on a dwindling treasury made for some epic 'Pyrrhic' victories at the start.

After only being able to barely grasp Magna Graecia, Pyrrhus went on his epic adventure! Selling his crazily mixed but veteran army around the Mediterranean for gold! ( being unable to seize Rome directly)
    Having such a tiny economy, and having his civilians only able to put up with a particular amount of economic tery meant that the king himself had to traverse the lands looking for worthy foes, gold and glory!
    This was of course, just a way to make ends meet, as stacking a full army and defending the home territories meant a negative income.

It turns out that fighting Carthage in Sicily can be very profitable! Also fighting the Romans for northern tribes, then turning on allies for a huge sum....

Eventually, I managed to get enough in the treasury to take the rest of Rome and then went to invade Africa. Pyrrhus died at the ripe old age of 62, after securing the central Mediterranean.

I think if the man himself was adept as politics as war, he could have achieved as much before he died. His sons are currently fighting the good fight (and against political machinations)

TL;DR : Just started the most fun 'what-if' campaign ever. (And it was completely unintentional!)
    Last edited by NeptuneUK; December 08, 2017 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: Pyrrhus of Epirus. Mercenary General, Lovable Rogue and Gentleman.

Awesome to hear Sounds like a fun campaign!

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Very nice. Enjoy your conquest buddy.

I am also doing a Epirus campaign, and oh man is it interesting, I managed to crush rome in a few turns, defending taras while I had the other general recruit a decent amount of bronze shields and brought them into italy to give to phyrrus. with them he defeated the roman troops in some very decisive battles, while the northern etruscans took Asculum from the romans it gave me time to capture all of southern italy, and then take Roma itself. and then some intense wars happened with my battered army, after taking samium it was pretty decently depleted, but my etruscan allies were attacked from first the ligurians then the venti, I fought long and hard and managed to vassalize the ligurians by force, then the etruscans beat back the Veniti. from then I conquered sicily, and the islands, went to spain and from spain captured all the carthaginian colonies, and went across gibraltar and began liberating every carthaginian city, as I knew I couldn't hold them for long. now north africa is all defensive allies of mine, and I have just conquered all of Hellas, and am starting my conquest of Thrace. Phyrrus died long ago, but his heir Alexander II shall become the next Megas Alexandros!!!
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Epyrus delendus est!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Epyrus delendus est!
    Ah I see you're a man of culture as well...

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Ah I see you're a man of culture as well...
    Ah, well, dunno, i'm not sure if the declination is correct either