Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Princes, Kings and Heroes

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Princes, Kings and Heroes

riadach
    In the end I've added 4 Irish factions covering O'Neill, O'Connell, O'Brien and McCarthy. I'm still working out final locations so some things may change. I still need to cross check the locations you mentioned for the O'Brien's so I put in two place holders as Ennis and Scarriff for the moment. De Clare will start holding Limerick plus their other English and Welsh lands
    So far the other Anglo Normans holding lands that are in place are deBurgh and Fitgerald (as I said previously they're the main two anglo Normans)) plus the King he get Dublin, Mortimer gets Trim, De Valence gets Wexford, Bigod has Carlow. Main debate I'm struggling with is whether to add the Butlers and also sorting out some lands For Delacy (this is sort of tied to trying to work out what happened with some of the deBraose lands as they won't be represented).

The Butlers were definitely on the up at this stage, the earldoms though that they and the fitzgeralds later held were compiled in the 14th century. I think at this stage de lacy's power would have have collapsed at this stage, due to subdivisions etc. If you have an Irish map then at this stage, De Burghs would have held county galway, and mayo, as well as down and antrim, and a strip of coastline along the north of derry that included derry city. The Butlers would have held Kilkenny, as well as north Tipperary their capital being Kilkenny city. The MacCarthy's West cork, their capital being Bantry. The O Brien's all of clare, and would have had their capital in Ennis. The The Fitzgeralds would have held Kildare, as well as North Kerry and a good bit of Limerick. Limerick city would have been in royal hands, but considering Thomas De Clare was given command of the military of Ireland by royal charter, it is reasonable to leave it with them. Cork would be under royal charter too, so it should remain in the kings hands. Ó Neill would be in charge of Tyrone, Derry (except for that narrow northern strip), and had suzerainity over Fermanagh and Armagh. Donegal could be in rebel hands as they were rebellious vassals. O'Connor would have held Roscommon and most of sligo.

As for delacey, I think the Mortimers inherited most of their lands. Have you representatives of the Marshalls in leinster at all? It's looking brilliant though.

I've got an old map showing Ireland in 1315 but its a little confusing in places as it shows some of the subdivisions on the land with names in brackets but its a bit unclear if it means they have them or had them. I can't create all the places exactly as it starts to create too many provinces and I'm already pretty close on that.. however my intention is to get one map with a lot of provinces and then create a second campaign with a reduction in provinces. The Butlers are a debate (I have one faction left) so they're going to miss the final vote and I'll probably split the central lands for balance. I'm trying to achieve a minimum of 3 regions for balance. Regions wont match historical boundaries as that may look nice but generally doesn't help the AI too much so its a bit of a trade off.

Similarly for the O'Briens from a balance point of view they may get Athenry as a third province.

Thanks for the additional info though its a great help. I'm mostly working on banners and want to get the strat models sorted out at the moment. Really need strat models which are in chain not full plate armour.

Quite looking forward to seeing this, i think its now a toss up for me between this and Two Crowns. Which ever offers the most fun, RP elements i think may sucker me in
    V

Valentine
    Thanks but its still quite a way out. The periods are slightly different though as Two crowns is more around the War of the roses where as this is set earlier. So they're likely to give different .. but in some ways similar flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    I've got an old map showing Ireland in 1315 but its a little confusing in places as it shows some of the subdivisions on the land with names in brackets but its a bit unclear if it means they have them or had them. I can't create all the places exactly as it starts to create too many provinces and I'm already pretty close on that.. however my intention is to get one map with a lot of provinces and then create a second campaign with a reduction in provinces. The Butlers are a debate (I have one faction left) so they're going to miss the final vote and I'll probably split the central lands for balance. I'm trying to achieve a minimum of 3 regions for balance. Regions wont match historical boundaries as that may look nice but generally doesn't help the AI too much so its a bit of a trade off.

Similarly for the O'Briens from a balance point of view they may get Athenry as a third province.

Thanks for the additional info though its a great help. I'm mostly working on banners and want to get the strat models sorted out at the moment. Really need strat models which are in chain not full plate armour.
    Hmmm. Are you making the Aran Islands a province? They would have been under O Briain control at this stage. Would make a nice extra province.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey Wilddog

your mod looks to be going really well!

I've been keeping uptodate with your progress and have decided to change my mod slightly so that it now fits in between your and NagatsukaShumi's "Two Crowns"!

What I mean by that is mine will still start at 1258, but go until 1450...but will now not include extra Irish factions, and will concentarte on these years from the Scottish POV.

keep up the good work mate!

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver
    What I mean by that is mine will still start at 1258, but go until 1450...but will now not include extra Irish factions, and will concentarte on these years from the Scottish POV.
    So essentially you are saying your now overlapping both the mods but finishing before the end of final phase of the 30 years wars? Thought you were starting to do that but for some reason thought you were concentrating on a later period. Anyway good luck with your mod as its covering quite a time period.

@riadach
    Do you have any info on banners for the O'Briens and the McCarthy? I'm still intending on using a red hand and an oak tree for the O'Neill and O'Connor's.

MacCarthaigh's i think was a stag, and the Ui Bhriain frequently refer to an onchu which could be either a leopard (as standish o'grady translates it) or merely a vicious dog.

BruceAlmighty's Avatar Civis

Hi, I'm most definetly going to watch your mod, sounds awsome, and i love the huge map size , will you be introuducing new units or just use the TW 2 and kingdoms ones?

@riadach
    Thanks for that. I'll knock up a standard for them based on that.

@BruceAlmighty
    There won't be anything that different on the units but there is likely to be a few different units and some reskining. Depends how much time I put into that. Essentially the period only covers to the introduction of half plate/partial plate Armour so the usual unit rosters need to be reduced first and the shields had started to adopt to a more heater shaped design (for the anglo Norman units) rather than the big teardrop ones.There will also be some changes on resources and strat level models... and definitely no full plate captains/generals at either strat map or battle map levels.

Ref: look um about Willium wallace and his defeat due to english longbowmen, something ti di with metcalf and a new way to fire arrows (fron the ear, not the chest).

Could be a new tech thingy advancement XD

I was asking about this on another thread, but what about a kalmar union type event for Ireland?

Also, considering the amount of vassals england will have, will they already be placed as vassals in the campaign? You could have diplomats(perhaps call them crown officials) by every vassal capital so you can instruct them to attack certain factions, give tribute, map information, or rebate some tax. In most cases, relations could be outstanding, making them open to accepting your demands, except on northern borders where they would be a little strained.

BruceAlmighty's Avatar Civis

wilddog, do you have an ETA on the first release for this mod? If you need testers i'm willing to help, i can't wait for this mod!

Goodluck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    That, sir, is a hell of a map.

Just registering interest
    Holy crap, I'll second that!
    That map is a monster! In a good way.. can't wait to get my hands on it.

WANT

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    I've been slowly working on the symbols for this mod and although I'll probably redo a couple of them here's a screen shot of most of them.

They are for the following factions :-
    House of Fitzgerald
    House of De Lacy
    House of De Clare
    Earl of Cornwall
    O'Neill
    House of De Valence
    Earl of Lancaster
    Royal House of Plantagenet
    House of Percy
    France
    House of de Warenne
    Gwynedd
    House of Mortimer
    House of De Vere
    House of Fitzalen
    O'Connor
    Royal House of Canmore
    House of Comyn
    House of Bruce
    House of Balliol
    House of De Bohun
    House of Beauchamp
    House of De Burgh
    House of Bigod

This mod is still a long way off but is slowly progressing.
    If this starts in 1258 then in theory we should have the Principality of Gwynedd, or (Royal) House of Cunedda, rather than just Gwynedd.

Or Royal House of Gwynedd if you want to recognize the historic right of the Welsh Kings who only got themselves downgraded to Princes during the relatively recent reign of Henry II (Owain Gwynedd et al.)

As far as I recall, Llewelyn ab Iorwerth was of the House of Cunedda.
    Last edited by Trajan; October 12, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: merged double

No real ETA yet. Was hoping to aim for Christmas (this year) but more likley it will go on till Easter. I need to catch up on some real work but I am still putting quite a few hours into it (World cup got in the way also).

Hopefully Makanyane will finally be able to help (she got seduced to the dark side and has been working on the End of days and its sequel Lycan rising which is entering its beta testing phase).

Quote Originally Posted by XantheKnight
    If this starts in 1258 then in theory we should have the Principality of Gwynedd, or (Royal) House of Cunedda, rather than just Gwynedd.

Or Royal House of Gwynedd if you want to recognize the historic right of the Welsh Kings who only got themselves downgraded to Princes during the relatively recent reign of Henry II (Owain Gwynedd et al.)

As far as I recall, Llewelyn ab Iorwerth was of the House of Cunedda.
    It is still planned to start in 1280 as it says and not 1258 so this is set after the treaty of Aberconwy.

As far as names go I haven't decided the naming yet. Essentially its Llywelyn ap Gruffydd we're talking of here (not his dead grandfather). So yes there's various alternatives including house of Aberffraw. The indecision is a little bit tied to his brother Dafydd who I'm currently planning to start as a rebel leader.

Well thing have been slowly progressing with a few tweaks and then some more work around resources and strat level models. Now starting to get into the family trees. I was fiddling around with the white cliffs of dover (I don't normally add cliffs but decided I will add a few - actually Makanyane asked me to do it).

Anyway thought I'd post a little shot from part of the Comyn lands in the north for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderOfTheCrown View Post
    about the first and still one of the best war games ever called... "Defender Of The Crown" on commodore64, for those who remember that one ages back then!
    ohh sweeeet memorys

OK not a major thing for most but this was a bit of a bugbear for me. I finally cracked that black rectangle issue that keep appearing (see mountains by dead sea in main campaign). Anyway I can now safely say that this map will not have any of those.

Here's a shot of part of the map I showed above but this time after the offending TGA had been corrected. I circled the 2 places in the original map although there was also a third one in far left bottom corner of the previous screen shot. My map had quite a few of these previously so finally removing the cause is great