Thread: Is it possible to make other rulers visible for at least one turn in each era?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Is it possible to make other rulers visible for at least one turn in each era?

A lot people are aware of that the player will always have a disadvantage against the AI in the first turn in each era including The Vikings campaign and what I refer to is about the agents.

In vanilla the player cannot drop an emissary or a princess on any faction leader except for those faction leaders that are visible in the first turn for each era, but the AI can and therefore the player will need to spend extra time to find a faction leader on the campaign map.

For example, yesterday I began a new campaign with the English and this time I picked the high era.

In the first turn (1205) I cannot drop my princess on the Russian leader, so I need to go to the Moscowy province then drop my princess on the Russian leader. However, that takes at least three turns and by then it's too late, because when my princess can propose an alliance the Russians already got a faction heir and my princess is married to the Russian heir. Which I didn't want to happen and I wonder if it's possible or not.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Libertus

Default Re: Is it possible to make other rulers visible for at least one turn in each era?

Yes, you can reveal the whole map by typing .matteosartori. (the full-stops are required) whilst you are viewing the campaign map. You don't see full details, but the faction leaders can be found and become 'droppable' for your agents, including princesses.

Or run the game in developer mode (some call it cheat mode ) by adding -ian to the Target line in your desktop shortcut, then instead of typing .matteosartori. you can just type the letter G (for God Mode - see all units and provinces), which will also toggle it back as well.

Default Re: Is it possible to make other rulers visible for at least one turn in each era?

Does a console exist in MTW and if it does what console commands can be used in-game?

Can this be included in a mod or does it only work when using the console in-game?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Libertus

There's not a console as such, but there are various commands that can be typed in whilst you're on the campaign map. I can't recall the full list, cos the only two I'm ever tempted to use are .matteosartori. and .unfreeze. which causes a male heir to be born next turn - useful for a rathy skinny family tree ~D

There's a lot more stuff available in developer mode (for obvious reasons....) including switching between factions and getting heaps of money.

These all work in mods as well as the vanilla game.

I see. I didn't know that about the console.

And the developer mode can be enabled by using the -ian in a shortcut like this and using it in-game will disable the developer mode. Correct?

Medieval_TW.exe -ian

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I see. I didn't know that about the console.

And the developer mode can be enabled by using the -ian in a shortcut like this and using it in-game will disable the developer mode. Correct?

Medieval_TW.exe -ian
    Nearly... the -ian switch needs to go outside the quote marks in the shortcut target. However it's not that which toggles, but the 'G' command in game - makes the map visible/invisible, so to speak. Once you launch in developer mode, you're in it.

Just to get it right. You mean the 'G' key has a similar function as the 'Shift' key in-game to see the status e.g loyalty of a province. When I hold down the 'Shift' key I can see all mine provinces in colours like this.

green -100% or more
    yellow - 80% up 99% I think
    red - 79% or less (potential risk for rebellion)

Libertus

No, the G key does the same as .matteosartori. does in normal mode - it lifts the 'fog of war' on the campmap.

I see. Well, I just tried the .matteosartori in-game and it doesn't seem to work. If it matters I use the Steam version.

Libertus

I see. Well, I just tried the .matteosartori in-game and it doesn't seem to work. If it matters I use the Steam version.
    It might just be a typo here, but did you inclue the final full stop?

As for Steam, I don't know, I have never tried it - my tech is a bit retro...

What do you mean by "the final full stop"?

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Here is what you do....

You create a shortcut from your MTW1-EXE (makes no difference what version). Then you open up the properties of that shortcut. And... Where it says "?:\?\?\Medieval_TW.EXE". Add -ian and the end result will be: "?:\?\?\Medieval_TW.EXE -ian". Once you get there, it will work - assuming you start the game by using this new shortcut you just created. Now, forget the "mattablabla" - just use the G-key - it will create the same effect,
    but its a lot easier to use.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; December 10, 2017 at 05:04 PM.

Libertus

"?:\?\?\Medieval_TW.EXE -ian"
    Not quite: it's "?:\?\?\Medieval_TW.EXE" -ian

The -ian needs to be outside the quote marks

Merry Xmas Mac...

Well that depends on the OS, I suppose. In W7 pro (64bit) it should look like what I outlined (in previous post).
    I have no doubts that it will look, or be different on some other OS. No matter... The gist of it, should still come
    thru, don't you think?

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Merry Xmas Mac...

Well that depends on the OS, I suppose. In W7 pro (64bit) it should look like what I outlined (in previous post).
    I have no doubts that it will look, or be different on some other OS. No matter... The gist of it, should still come
    thru, don't you think?

- A
    Nope, it won't work and I just test it myself on Win7. Mac is correct the "-ian" must be after and outside of the "Medieval_TW.exe" shortcut.

Ach... You finally got it to work, didn't you?!? Your post certainly suggests it. If so - then "mission accomplished", I would say. After all, that was your actual problem here, was it not?

As for the details, I am not saying that you are wrong, but see for yourself...

- A

That could work too, but what I meant was this.

"<path>\Medieval_TW.exe" -ian (which I now use in Win7, but tomorrow I'll try your suggestion since I'm too tired right now)

However, while that works for the Steam version the screenshot feature in Steam does NOT work, because the Total War launcher aren't used hence for disabling the screenshot feature in Steam.

Don't bother man, as that is/was the very thing that I too had in mind - all along here - although that was evidently misunderstood.

- A

Nope, it won't work and I just test it myself on Win7. Mac is correct the "-ian" must be after and outside of the "Medieval_TW.exe" shortcut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Ach... You finally got it to work, didn't you?!? Your post certainly suggests it. If so - then "mission accomplished", I would say. After all, that was your actual problem here, was it not?

<snip>

- A
    I think I found a solution and that's not related to the shortcut for MTW, at least when launching MTW from Steam. Anyway, this is what I found and below is one line that will launch MTW from Steam.

launcher.log
    Code:
    E:\Creative Assembly\steamapps\common\Total War Medieval 1 Gold/Medieval_TW.exe 1
    Before you do anything, make sure you backup the launcher.log file. Just in case something goes wrong.

Now, open the launcher.log file in Notepad in Windows and add the "-ian" switch after ".exe " (note the extra space after .exe and I think it's necessary), but before the "1" in that line like this.

launcher.log
    Code:
    E:\Creative Assembly\steamapps\common\Total War Medieval 1 Gold/Medieval_TW.exe -ian 1
    Save the changes and launch MTW from Steam.

Doing that might be was it's required to enable a cheat mode by pressing the 'G' key in-game on the campaign map at the same time also allow the screenshot feature in Steam to be present.

I haven't test it yet, but I think it should work.