Page 84 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3459747576777879808182838485868788899091929394109134 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 3247

Thread: Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Ok Dante, back to our discussion.

I actually think that Corbyn might have missed his chance, at least for now. You'll say ''but he's leading the GE polls!'', yes but the situation is extremely volatile in those and what I look at is momentum. May is dead. She needs a miracle to make a comeback. Farage has a massive momentum. The game changer here is a new Tory leader that can kill two birds with one stone: remove May's toxicity and take Farage's momentum away. None of that is good for Corbyn and that means he, by himself, has little path forward. He is a the Tory's (incompetence) mercy. Why? Because of the fragmentation of the Remain vote. ChUK, LibDem and Greens all take more from a potential Labour vote than a Conservative one. The paradox is that while Remain voters might be more, Tories can run a platform on a Leave stance and win most of it, winning the election, because the Remain side is more fragmentated and divided than the Leave side.

What can Corbyn do? Not much at the moment. He's too far on the left for the economic neoliberal/socially liberal upper class urban dwellers who fear they'd lose out economically because of his policies (and rightfully so I might add).This is similar to the situation Bernie Sanders is right now in the US: he's losing momentum in favour of a more ''moderate'' Biden, partly because the economic situation is not as bad as it was in the aftermath of 2008, thus there's less anxiety about it. The good news for Corbyn is that he'll do good enough for the EP and there aren't immediate GE to handle, so he can sit back and watch. However, the problem remains. The hardcore Remain voters won't side with Corbyn because of his economic policies, and some moderate Remain ones would rather Leave for the same reason. By sidelining economic questions, Farage got a major advantage.

I don't think pushing for a second referendum is good at all. It's damaging to the credibility of democracy to begin with, adds further polarization, even many Remain voters think that way. You have 3 groups of people: Remain-at-all-costs, Remain-that-accept-the-referendum, Leave-at-all-costs. This favours the Leave side, because the vote has already happened. The Leave-at-all-costs side is also more united than the opposite side, which is why I think they are prevalining now.
    I think (Broadly i can see your point and agree with much of it) another factor though for a new Tory leader, that would directly effect Corbyn's chances is who exactly it might be. Indeed a new one can remove May's negative appeal and strike a blow at Farage. However the candidates to do that (and the ones most likely to win by the bookies- Boris for instance) aren't unifying figures for the electorate. The front-bench all come with their own issues, but a so-called 'hard brexiteer' as PM while taking the steam out of Farage, would not make up the ground lost to Corbyn (and the Lib-dems, who i hasten to add isn't quite clear, but i suspect polling-wise its Conservative remainers/Conservatives who disagree with domestic policy and its impact, but who of course will not vote for Labour). A Boris, or Boris-like Tory leader will essentially see the vote share between the Conservatives and Labour remain as now (Not polling-wise, but as it stands), giving at best minority governments to Labour or the Tories. The key here would then be either the Lib-dems (how much vote share have they hiked off from a Boris-led Conservative party, who Tories have said if he or a 'hard brexiteer' takes the reigns they'll oppose/even split from).

Of course there are 20+ candidates all running for Conservative party leader, and as we saw last time, the favourites can suffer quite random disasters or mistakes that propel an odd-ball to the position. But given the Conservative party members favour a Boris-type candidate, its a situation that is foreseeable. Its unlikely for instance a 'remainer' will be PM as things stand (Unless of course the Conservative party in its internal voting makes sure to kick the 'controversial' brexiteers off the ballot prior to party members having a say), and its questionable whether a compromise candidate can really...well compromise.

Corbyn indeed has more variables on his vote share due a wider choice of left wing parties, but i think given the 2017 election his 'core' support doesn't stem from brexit at all, but the domestic case. The current rise of course is brexit-related and Tory meltdown related. However, the lib-dems in current polls at least seem to have gotten their momentum not from Labour supporters, but directly from the Conservatives, so with Lib-dem and Brexit party, and even the remains of UKIP (Who even if they've got very few to no seats (I.e. UKIPs outlook particularly for the latter) as i'd currently expect, will still split the rights vote share in key constituencies) there are equal options that while not taking the Conservatives down radically, might get Labour the minority government (or majority). What's more coalition between two parties (Lib-dems and Labour) is something i could see (Not coalition of course between more than that, it would be far too messy for the Political system, so the so-called 'Progressive alliance' is rather a pipe-dream of the lib-dems).

A big factor for the Conservatives is Scotland. It essentially allowed them to have a minority government by gaining MP's there. The question of course is if they can hold their new seats (Which is unclear given current controversies, and also the simple fact that the Conservatives were voted in potentially because during 2017, Labour, the traditional party of 'Unionists' in Scotland had been written off as dead under Corbyn. So if you wanted to protect the Union from the SNP, you'd essentially only have Conservatives to turn to who had the power to ensure that- this time around, the shoes on the other foot and brexit might feature more prominently- If you want to remain in the EU, but don't want to leave the UK- Labour makes the most sense, despite being rather complicated in being mostly-leave, and a second referendum in certain cases).

Indeed, i think though the issue is that the 'moderate' element in British politics is absent still, Biden if i'm right is essentially running on 'back to old securities and some social reform'- This is the Lib-dems and Change UK, but their vote share currently is not holding up, and it looks like Change UK through their failure to even have the bravery to challenge the other parties in bi-elections might just die out. The Lib-dems though have also sucked in voters from the Conservatives and even without momentum, Farage will become a 'UKIP mark 2' which does effect the vote share potential of the Conservatives, even if it gets them no seats. This i would add is me still assuming an early-snap election within current conditions. 2022, I think we'll be back to 2010 with the Lib-dems essentially slightly large at the expense of Conservatives, Labour going back to its 'core' share and the same with the Conservatives, so it being a case of 'who forms a coalition with Clegg 2.0 first)- its a long-shot guess though. It depends to what extent brexit or post-brexit is utilized as a political football and what a post-brexit Tory party does for A) leader and B) about the domestic economy- theoretically speaking, all they need to do is co-opt the basis of Corbyn's platform- reject austerity and release the spending flood-gates to schools, NHS, local councils, Universal credit, infrastructure and actually create an industrial strategy that has levels of state intervention- that they would do this is just today they are renationalizing probation officers (Baby steps, but its huge ideologically showing that 'One Nation' Tory roaring back to life). The question is if they could expand this to other areas (Unsure honestly ).

Farage by having to economic platform indeed is doing well by being so streamlined- one message, but this won't cut it at a GE (Though reading back, apologies as it might be you were exactly talking about the EP elections and not a GE, i'm still in morning mode!). Its an element that will have major impact at any GE, even a snap one- what will he do about the domestic scenario. Otherwise he's in danger of the Tories mistake in 2017, to make a snap election about brexit, while Corbyn campaigns solely on the domestic. To highlight for instance from July 2018-

The overall importance of the UK controlling its own laws held true for both Conservative and Labour Leave voters. Issues such as pressure on public services, housing or jobs and wages came much lower down in ranking (7th and 8th).Economic growth is most important for the whole population – not sovereignty
    There is however no overall majority for Hard Brexit outcomes, given the UK Government’s own assessments that Hard Brexit would adversely affect economic growth.
    Remain voters favour strong economic growth over control, trade deals and immigration by very large margins (77% vs 23%; 79% vs 21%; 84% vs 16% respectively). So, although a majority of Leave voters do prioritise Hard Brexit, the closeness of the referendum result meant this does not translate into a majority in the country as a whole.
    The top ranked priority overall was ensuring that the UK has strong economic growth, with a majority of people believing this was more important than the UK having control over its laws and regulations (54% vs 46%), being able to strike trade deals outside the EU (59% vs 41%), and reducing immigration (66% to 34%).
    https://ukandeu.ac.uk/new-polling-re...-the-priority/

Since the majority of the electorate from all sides are domestically-concerned, its not enough at a GE to not have coherent policies and make this a central piece of their platform. Labour's strategy has been currently trying to essentially 'avoid'/cut through (depending on your interpretation) the brexit debate and reach out to voters on this issue, its still an important one as perception and reality in the media and among voters have this as a daily issue. Farage unless he has his planning spot on, could (as in fairness a new party might) fall to the Tory fiasco of 2017- try and make it all about brexit, rush the economic and domestic policy- so that you either choose one that is unpopular (if Farage keeps to a very libertarian agenda, he might not though, he is pragmatic) or one that has a lot of holes in it, or can be 'spun' as having a lot of holes in it (I.e. Dementia tax for the Tories in 2017- it wasn't necessarily the 'mad' idea Labour and co made it out to be... but it was flawed and able to be exaggerated effectively). So for me, its a definite that until Farage unveils his domestic platform (which he said he'll do following the European Elections), he's too much of an unknown to comment effectively on his GE impact (which has as you've pointed out indeed a lot of other issues as well for him).

Beyond i will say as a certainty, that unveiling an economic platform will see a decrease in current support levels (When you have Anne Widdicombe and George Galloway as both supporting you, your going to have issues keeping your voting group united ), which was Farage is sensibly holding the manfifesto and domestic platform until after (https://www.indy100.com/article/nige...ifesto-8883971) the EU elections, so it doesn't divide his party, as he will have to work to campaign and rebuild support (if he can at all- a Liberatarian/Manifesto similar to when he was UKIP leader did not and does not go down well).

In regards to the second referendum question- i've posted a bit on this in the 'long post', but just to summarize- Yes their will be damage to credibility of democracy, but the Westminster system does not rely on that to function, it merely requires the support of certain small key groups, and apathy. Brexit just isn't a 'big enough' issue for if Parliament decide to hold a second referendum, their to be much change- Violence actively generates support for the government (even an unpopular one), and nor are their enough brexiteers willing to go that far (Indeed quite fairly a lot have stated they simply would never vote in a GE again- which suits Westminister system to a T as its designed to arguably function better with fewer active voters). The key fact to bear in mind throughout all this is that the Leave vote won the last referendum by mobilizing around 3 million voters who had never engaged politically before, Remain had discounted them due to this- but Leave extraordinarily (and its a very commendable and politically savvy feat). A second referendum (or indeed for Farage a GE- an added factor) its not a sure-fire thing they'll continue to turn out and vote, especially if the one time they voted, was ignored/discounted. Even if they do, the other parties and 'remain' have been shown not only do these people exist, but they need to target them. So the advantage is no longer there- its also partly why those pushing a second referendum, i'm not buying the arguments of 'democracy', but its a pure Power Politics play as they believe its highly likely they'll win. However because of the factions involved (and the indeed the Leave faction of 'hard brexiteers' while currently more coherent, are not a majority- so a Second Referendum would indeed cause issues- not to mention the question would most likely be May's deal vs Status quo (and maybe vs WTO- but that splits leavers potentially for the government) by being a binary choice, likewise a GE with its added layers of domestic complication would also see this voting group fracture (going back to why Farage sensibly keeps the domestic off the agenda for now)- so it'll suit the EP elections indeed, but i'm not sure the extent to which it might hold up.

Again though, this is just my current thoughts, subject to change . I think though the long-ball i would throw is that currently, providing brexit is 'done' one way or another by the summer- it will still remain political football that has polarized an electorate in an unfavourable way for those who carried it out. Farage i can't see once the domestic agenda is put forward maintaining his momentum (Unless the Conservatives decides they no longer themselves deserve to exist- though even then, depending on platform, but if Farage continues his traditional economic platform, it will not get anywhere ala UKIP). Corbyn will go back to his 'base' (which will be large than the Conservatives due to natural voting shifts, though these 'young voters' who are pro-EU might go over to the lib-dems potentially if the UK's post-brexit relationship can be spun as political football) vote share, the Conservatives depending on leader and policies may have seen further losses to the lib-dems (as they are now seeing), but i can't see Farage having the momentum he currently does to this point, it'll essentially cease and the real fight will begin upon his domestic take (and depending on if the Tories indeed come up with a leader who can take him on). So i can see a Minority Labour government, or coalition potential as we had in 2010. The circle is complete . That's all subject to change, but just where i'm thinking long-term.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

I share your prediction regarding the ultimate result, a Labour minority government with perhaps the tentative support of Libdems ( lessons learned from Cameron era, I doubt if such a tight coalition will arise again).

As regards Brexit, I'd put money on revocation and a commission on how the policy could, if ever be implemented. If no-deal was ever viable, the argument would have been put to Parliament by now.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I share your prediction regarding the ultimate result, a Labour minority government with perhaps the tentative support of Libdems ( lessons learned from Cameron era, I doubt if such a tight coalition will arise again).

As regards Brexit, I'd put money on revocation and a commission on how the policy could, if ever be implemented. If no-deal was ever viable, the argument would have been put to Parliament by now.
    Indeed, i think the lib-dems have been burned before and will be hesitant to do a governing coalition, confidence and supply all the way. There are those who could see an SNP-Labour coalition, however i think that under-emphasizes massively the fundamental unionist vs independence divide (Interestingly there is a very interesting and strong case for 'Labour' being the last truly 'Union- based' party in the UK with policies aimed at trying to appeal to all the counties of the UK. The Conservatives for the past few decades have relied on essentially a predominantly 'English vote' and English appeal, and have a very different ideological conception of the UK historically than Labour), only such coalition would require a second referendum demand...and then that's the coalition dissolved as politically they'll be on opposite sides trying to snipe the other apart.

Brexit i suspect that is indeed one likely option. May today has committed to leaving with two months- the offer being 'my deal, or no brexit, or No-deal brexit'. The issue of course there is that there are two very vocal groups who are more than happy with 'no-deal brexit' or 'No brexit at all', so as a threat, its rather sub-par. This also i think highlights that the talks with Labour have (perhaps inevitably given Labour have all to gain from not helping the Conservatives out, and May will not budge on her deal) gone nowhere. May lost political capital among her supporters (or what little remained of it) for no return, barring some radical change in the coming days. So essentially we're still at square one (and talk about forcing a decision through Parliament has essentially died off, Parliament are no longer seeking to control the process, i think descriptions of the government as essentially being 'non functional' have been fully realized on the lack of anything currently.

Damn your walls of texts. I had written a reply but I got logged off and now it's lost. Short version, I agree with most of what you say.

I'm just going to add this new poll:

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

I don´t see so much into Uk home politics but still even with all of this, is there any possibility for short term conclusion to brexit question? I mean with no offence that even if Farage got success in EU election, even if May is soon gone..

(https://www.theguardian.com/politics...exit-bill-vote
    not sure if it was here already, so we are heading for yet another vote on her deal and if it is fail, she should announce her departure... )

but even with new leader and everything i simply don´t see that situation will quickly change in UK. One part of me would love to see Farage getting PM and trying to implement his slogans. Really it would be hillarious...and terrifying at the same time...but that would require a lot what if and GE. I don´t know honestly, I can easily imagine current stalemate running into next GE term - 2022.

Anyway, I think we are forgetting that actual pressure might come from EU27. They would love to hear anything from UK. Current situation is like UK will ask for extension after extension because Uk is discussing serious stuff at home. But it is leaving the rest of EU in darkness, uncertainty. I see how EU prefer current situation but is it acceptable in long term to just extend after extension the deadline? Because all it takes is some kind of crisis or external problems which will translate into one state blocking extension or negotiations. Look how Macron was playing due to his problems with yellow vests.
    Last edited by Daruwind; May 17, 2019 at 03:41 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

If by short term you mean a few months no, if you mean by the end of the year, I'd say yes.

Damn your walls of texts. I had written a reply but I got logged off and now it's lost. Short version, I agree with most of what you say.

I'm just going to add this new poll:
    Haha don't worry mate, in that post i literally had the same problem...actually just face planted on my keyboard. So i feel your pain acutely and sympathise .

Well it would appear indeed that the unity aspect is holding spot on as you said for the brexit party. I'm suprised at the Conservative and Remain Lib-dem numbers compared to Labour and Remain, though to be fair my polling data was from a few days prior so maybe there has been a significant shift. It's interesting though as it highlights exactly why Labour need to play this as a 'domestic' (As essentially their EU elections manifesto is a mini-GE one about post-brexit policy) and continue to balance between Remain and Leave.

Just to provide some juicy new stuff:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1558085517

MPs could be offered the opportunity to vote on a second referendum and a no-deal Brexit in a series of “indicative votes” in the first week of June, according to a document leaked from cross-party talks.And the Government has offered to give Tory MPs a free vote on the Final Say option if Jeremy Corbyn will do the same for Labour.
    The document obtained by The Independent also suggests MPs could be offered a yes/no vote on June 5 on a new target date for Brexit of July 31 as well as on a compromise package agreed between the Government and Labour on issues like workers’ rights and participation in EU agencies.

But crucially, the paper indicates that the two sides have not agreed on post-Brexit customs arrangements. It proposes a separate series of “elimination ballots” on a range of four options, from Labour’s favoured comprehensive customs union with a UK say to a looser arrangement allowing Britain to forge its own deals elsewhere in the world.
    Results from the four indicative votes and the elimination ballots are unlikely to be known in time to shape the drafting of Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement Bill, due to go before the Commons in the week of June 3, says the document. But under the indicative votes plan, MPs’ preferences would be reflected in draft Government amendments to the legislation.
    It is unclear whether the document has been signed off by both sides in the cross-party talks between the Government and Labour, which have failed to secure a compromise deal over more than six weeks since the failure of Ms May’s third attempt to get her Brexit deal through Parliament. The document appears to be an offer from the Government side.
    Be prepared all for the 'No deal' and 'Remain/Second Referendum' options to once more be rejected in all likelihood. But it seems cross-party talks have essentially failed and its Parliament who will probably be doing the voting.

A caveat to this is Jeremy Corbyn was just on air stating that the talks are over, being the first one to get it in before May. So the above might not see the light of day, though this would mean we do essentially go back to Parliament having a series of votes (With May's deal in there of course ). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...HBUz-dZs0mbcOY
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; May 17, 2019 at 04:59 AM.

Here's what I think will happen in the next weeks:
    -you'll participate in the EP elections, Farage will get a great result; some polls give him at 35% now, considering that some parties will not make it to the minimum thresold, that might as well translate to 40% of the UK seats (in theory);
    -these will not be converted into actual seats for MPs; you'll be leaving the EU before the end of the year because noone in Brussels wants to see Farage with those numbers;
    -it'll be used by the Conservatives to oust Theresa May; I think Bojo will take over from there;
    -Prime Minister Bojo will try to get a better deal;
    -He'll fail;

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Here's what I think will happen in the next weeks:
    -you'll participate in the EP elections, Farage will get a great result; some polls give him at 35% now, considering that some parties will not make it to the minimum thresold, that might as well translate to 40% of the UK seats (in theory);
    -these will not be converted into actual seats for MPs; you'll be leaving the EU before the end of the year because noone in Brussels wants to see Farage with those numbers;
    -it'll be used by the Conservatives to oust Theresa May; I think Bojo will take over from there;
    -He'll fail;
    First I have enjoyed reading your posts here for the past few days. Keep it up.

Anything that winds Dante up for yet another wall of text post.

Interesting possibility. I do not think I would put money on such a long short prediction though. We will know soon enough. I wold like to see any ending to this mess and yours may be less painful than most alternatives.

-He'll fail;
    In theory a dead duck could get a better deal at this point, if only because inaction is in its own way a threat of no deal.

Whether Bojo will get a deal that is enough better is how much he is willing or even able to actually do anything different. Even if Boris actually has the balls to use no deal as it was supposed to there's still the risk the party revolt pushing them below the 51% in parliament; so far May hasnt even been willing to risk testing if enough the wets would choose party loyalty over the forlorn hope of remain winning out in the end.
    Pity the man with no country or home, revile the one who forsakes his own.

The latest I'm getting:
    -Bojo well ahead of anyone else to replace Theresa May
    -Brexit party down in GE polls (13%), still leading big in EP ones

Also: British working class voting preference.
    Brexit party 41% Labour 17% Lib Dem 11% Conservative 9%
    Thank god Ann Pettifor guarenteed to me that it wasn't a working class revolt.

edit: new GE poll

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/s...28139721478147

Labour 29%, Brexit Party 24%.

So, within the same day Brexit could get as low as 13% or as high as 24% in the general election. What did I say about volatility?
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; May 18, 2019 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    First I have enjoyed reading your posts here for the past few days. Keep it up.

Anything that winds Dante up for yet another wall of text post.

Interesting possibility. I do not think I would put money on such a long short prediction though. We will know soon enough. I wold like to see any ending to this mess and yours may be less painful than most alternatives.
    Haha one day i'll come up with a way of being cuttingly concise! Though it should be noted, i reserve my walls of texts for those i like, you should know, you get enough of them

The latest I'm getting:
    -Bojo well ahead of anyone else to replace Theresa May
    -Brexit party down in GE polls (13%), still leading big in EP ones

Also: British working class voting preference.
    Brexit party 41% Labour 17% Lib Dem 11% Conservative 9%
    Thank god Ann Pettifor guarenteed to me that it wasn't a working class revolt.

edit: new GE poll

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/s...28139721478147

Labour 29%, Brexit Party 24%.

So, within the same day Brexit could get as low as 13% or as high as 24% in the general election. What did I say about volatility?
    Volatile indeed. I suspect without the EP elections in the way it'll settle down, but its fascinating to see how the samples are returning very different results for Westminster voting intentions.

On Bojo, i think if makes it through the closed MP voting and to the wider membership vote in the 3rd round i think isn't it, when its opened up? I can't recall currently, but if he does that- he's leader. He enjoys a lot of support from the membership, the question is is he'll even make it through the lines of his fellow MP's to be placed on the paper . Given how much a lot of Conservative MP dislike him (even brexiteers) and are aware that his presence on the ballot paper would scupper their own chances its going to be a highly entertaining bloodbath, game of thrones style among the Conservatives.

So May offered possibly second referendum. However there are probably some hidden caveats. But looks like another May´s U-turn....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...deal-live-news
    May's 'New Brexit Deal' speech - Snap summary and analysis

Theresa May gave her speech the title “New Brexit Deal” and in it she identified 10 ways in which she was changing her Brexit offer to MPs.

Most of these simply reiterated concessions that have already been announced, at various points, over the last six months. See 3.51pm for a summary of what was already on the table. Perhaps the language on workers’ rights is a bit stronger - today May proposed a workers’ rights bill that “guarantees workers’ rights will be no less favourable than in the EU” - but essentially items 1-7 on her 10-point list (see 4.43pm), and item 10 were already in the bag.
    But what May said about a second referendum (see 4.59pm) and about customs (see 5.04pm) was new. Here are some thoughts.
    1) May has offered MPs a vote on a second referendum - which, in symbolic terms, is quite significant. Until now she firmly resisted the idea the idea that the government might schedule a vote on this, and last week, when cross-party talks broke down, May implied one reason was because Labour was insisting on a second referendum.
    2) But, in practical terms, this offer means much less than it sounds. During the EU withdrawal agreement bill’s passage, someone was bound to table an amendment calling for a second referendum, and so all (or almost all) May is doing is timetabling a vote that would have happened anyway. She has not promised Tory MPs a free vote on this.

3) May has also promised to legislate for a referendum if MPs vote for one. The two do not necessarily go together; it was easy to imagine MPs voting for a second referendum, but the government then holding up the legislation required to make it happen.
    4) But May did not explain how she would stop a future Conservative leader blocking second referendum legislation, or repealing it. (A new Tory leader should be in office before the autumn, and it is unlikely the Brexit bill would be law by then, even if it passed its second reading. Labour has already said such a bill would need more time.) Given how pro-Brexit the Conservative party membership is, it is hard to imagine anyone getting elected as leader if they sound keen on implementing a second referendum.
    5) May’s customs offer is much narrower than her second referendum one. She is not proposing a government vote on a permanent customs union, which is what Labour wants, even though she is proposing a vote on a second referendum. Why? Presumably because, while May must be reasonably confident that the Commons will vote against a second referendum, she must be worried that MPs would back a permanent customs union. (As with the second referendum, there will probably be a vote on this anyway, because Labour would table an amendment. But May is only committing to accept the result if MPs vote for the temporary customs union idea she mentioned in her speech.)

6) May seems to have resolved the question about whether to hold indicative votes before the second reading vote on the bill, or after (assuming it gets defeated) by deciding to hold the indicative votes within the bill. The referendum vote offer and the customs union vote offer seem all that is left of her indicative votes plan.
    May’s argument to Labour MPs that, if they want a second referendum, they need to vote for her bill is a plausible one. It is a case that Nick Boles MPs was making powerfully at the end of last week. But, with opposition to her deal already so entrenched, it feels as if she may have left it too late.

Last edited by Daruwind; May 21, 2019 at 11:45 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/timothy_stanley/...507137024?s=21

Well, this is big news.

Despite previously saying the result of the referendum must be respected, Brexit means Brexit, and ruling out a second referendum only last October, she has done yet another U-turn. Surely she has ended the Tory Party at this point.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Brexit Party will smash them.

The most stupidest party in existence! No wonder Gerrad Batten said that the aim was to make a second referendum.

They've just handed Nigel Farage the biggest election victory in history.

Did these people not know what will happen to them in the general election?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Whose's running the Govt? Brexit was won in name only.

Forget the stupid talks, Labour wanted a second ref - they didn't get it - now they're having a second ref? TF is going on in that house of clowns!

Whoever is their campaign strategy advisory or any person....just because you want remain to win....

23rd May!
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; May 21, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

I told you Farage is big winner! Sadly Even with his clown-like style, slogans for kindergarden, he will rock at least EU election...

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Then? The only reason this will have any impact is now Farage has connections to US President. Americans will be watching with interest, and then once EU elections are over - they'll invite him to Fox news.

It's all planned! EU elections will make Farage the 'trump' of British Politics. Whole Conservative Party will soon flock to Brexit after EU elections.

What the Govt is doing????????????????????

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post

Well, this is big news.

Despite previously saying the result of the referendum must be respected, Brexit means Brexit, and ruling out a second referendum only last October, she has done yet another U-turn. Surely she has ended the Tory Party at this point.
    Or another legit interpretation:

Doing finally her patriotic duty and subordinate party business (Brexit) beyond the welfare of the nation.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

In what way is Brexit ‘party business’?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post

Well, this is big news.

I was actually astounded on this. It really is the mother of all U-turns from May, its not even like she can justify it arguing that a minority government with no stable majority needs to make compromises, thus she's going to send it back to the people...that argument would have worked in the months after the 2017 GE when it became clear Parliament was too factionated to pave a way forward and that compromise was indeed needed... but to have a solid position for the past 2 years that is implacably both against any compromise (The red lines, and her consistent refusal to meet any party, or indeed internal Tory party factions half-way), means this is just essentially a climb-down.

That would matter...if May had any political capital to use, if for instance she was hoping to remain PM and stand at the next GE, of course without that pressure, she can now pretty much do as she pleases, i'm assuming the hope is that since a Second Referendum did not gather a clear majority during the last indicative votes, and that she's guaranteeing to Labour that workers rights and protections will be protected and pegged at minimum to the EU's regulations, that she can either get Labour on board to vote through her deal and vote down a second referendum, or at least get on board enough Labour MP's to be satisfied to provider their support in throwing out a second Referendum.

The question too of course, is if May gets her deal through, and if she stands down as her party expects (The Jury is still out, as she managed to face down the 1922 committee last week over the issue and avoid giving any solid dates), then how does Labour and the other parties ensure they get their vote and that the government listen to it? I can see a hard-brexiteers candidate (though its not at all assured the Conservatives will let one be PM) just ignoring it all. But yeah, just when you think a course is set, May does something surprising and just... weird. But then i guess i keep forgetting, this is a PM no longer constrained by trying to maintain and secure their position as PM or indeed within the party for the future. A lot of the typical 'checking' forces on her, even exerted by hostile factions within her party no longer really have any power over her, in terms of legacy it's clear that her 'legacy' isn't now going to be the long term (in a way the Conservatives have shot themselves in the foot by making it clear she will not have their support post-withdrawal agreement), it simply is the withdrawal agreement, thus by narrowing the scope for her legacy, they have essentially made her potentially quite the power-house ironically. She can make all the concessions she needs to other parties to rally their support and formulate a 'near future' plan to whatever she wants (Similar to the Corn laws repeal struggle in some ways).