Page 161 of 163 FirstFirst ... 61111136151152153154155156157158159160161162163 LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3247

Thread: Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?

Interesting point, look like North Ireland was sacrificed from UK point of view. NI will remain part of custom union and have access to full single market.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Until this thing is signed off by all parties involved I don't think it's prudent to say we are done just yet. Irrespective of the contents of the deal that is. There is a lot of bureaucracy involved here and it is unusual for the EU to announce a deal without parliamentary scrutiny. I expect there will be some discussion at least there. By the time all this is done, hopefully there will be enough clarity about what the deal entails. For now I feel cautiously optimistic, that this is a decent deal for the EU all things considered. At least in the face of the inevitability of Brexit.

Then of course we'll have to to wait and see how long it will take Boris to threaten to break whatever deal he signed off to if sth doesn't go his way. ;D
    Last edited by Alastor; December 25, 2020 at 11:26 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Looks to me like the Anglos want Northern Ireland to be their little tax haven/EU access port.

It's only a matter of time before northern ireland is subsumed back into the irish, especially if the anglos misbehave when it comes to EU interests, eg Nordstrem pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    I hear the UK is looking for a supplier of discount coal?
    I was thinking more sun, roos and didgeridoos.

Indefinitely Banned

Regarding UK wanting to form a EU style commonwealth alliance, it'll never work because there was already an anglo centred alliance called the British Commonwealth and that too failed due to infighting, when south africa refused to give up apartheid and when rhodesia got blacked.

Secondly, the market of the CANZUK amounts to...~100mln or a huwhite indonesia, so CANZUK would have about the same amount of pull as indonesia.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Interesting point, look like North Ireland was sacrificed from UK point of view. NI will remain part of custom union and have access to full single market.
    As much as many in the UK don't want it, I always figured there would be different rules for NI.

Quote Originally Posted by pchalk View Post
    As much as many in the UK don't want it, I always figured there would be different rules for NI.
    I´m from czech, middle europe so only external commenter but in my eyes any similar step is one more step closer to united Ireland. NI and Scotland development, that will be interesting to follow...

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

I´m from czech, middle europe so only external commenter but in my eyes any similar step is one more step closer to united Ireland. NI and Scotland development, that will be interesting to follow...
    I am also an outsider .

You are right, there is certainly the risk of that. I think it could go either way. We will see.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Until this thing is signed off by all parties involved I don't think it's prudent to say we are done just yet. Irrespective of the contents of the deal that is. There is a lot of bureaucracy involved here and it is unusual for the EU to announce a deal without parliamentary scrutiny. I expect there will be some discussion at least there. By the time all this is done, hopefully there will be enough clarity about what the deal entails. For now I feel cautiously optimistic, that this is a decent deal for the EU all things considered. At least in the face of the inevitability of Brexit.
    Don't know about other industries, financial services are breaking regardless of the final terms and accounts are already being moved.

The process is irreversible I presume, they could say goodbye to London as the EU financial center.

Indefinitely Banned

Germany's Frankfurt is gearing up to take over from London as Europe's finance capital; there won't be a "singapore on the Thames" because both the EU and China will ensure the UK never becomes the finance capital it so desperately wants to cling onto.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

NI and Scotland development, that will be interesting to follow...
    Indeed.Well, post-Brexit UK always welcome back in EU.

A deal to end the Brexit delusions | Financial Times

After four and a half painful years, we have reached the end of the beginning of Brexit. We have a deal. It is, inevitably, a damaging deal for the British economy compared with remaining inside the EU.

Some delusions have already disappeared. Brexiters told the country that it would be easy to secure an excellent free trade agreement with the EU, because it held “all the cards”. In fact, it has proved quite hard to do so and the UK has had to make difficult concessions since 2016, notably over the money it owed the EU, the Irish border, and EU demands for a “level playing field”.

These delusions were buttressed by others. Among them was the idea that the UK and the EU would negotiate as “sovereign equals”. Yes, the EU and UK are equally sovereign. But they are not equally powerful. The UK economy is less than 20 per cent of the EU’s. Forty-six per cent of UK merchandise exports went to the EU in 2019, while only 15 per cent of EU merchandise exports (excluding its internal trade) went to the UK.

The economic relationship between the EU and UK is rather like Canada’s with the US. As Jonathan Portes of King’s College London points out, the trade deal imposed on Canada and Mexico by the US is quite intrusive.
    In defence, education, housing, health, regional development, public investment and welfare, the UK already largely had control. But British people are about to lose valuable opportunities to do business or live, study and work in the EU. They will not “take back control” over their lives, but lose it.

Even where control will be regained, in theory, the reality may shock Leavers. Consider immigration. In the 12 months ending June 2016 (the month of the referendum), net immigration from EU plus non-EU sources was 355,000 (with net emigration by British people ignored). In the 12 months ending March 2020, net immigration was 374,000. Net immigration from the EU collapsed from 189,000 to 58,000. But that from the rest of the world — always notionally under UK control — exploded, from 166,000 to 316,000.

Mr Johnson promised that the UK will “prosper mightily” even without a deal. But virtually all economists agree that the UK will be significantly poorer in the long run, even under this sort of deal, than if it had remained a member.

Even the survival of the UK is in doubt. Scotland and Northern Ireland may both leave the Union, the former to join the EU, arguing that it, too, wants “to take back control”, and the latter to join Ireland and so the EU, too. England may then have a border with the EU on the Irish Sea and the Tweed.

Brexit is, in many ways, the English equivalent of Donald Trump’s promise to “make America great again”. A big difference is that, unlike Mr Trump’s time as US president, Brexit is forever. It seems almost certain to damage the country’s prosperity and influence permanently.
    --
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

With far worse terms of course

Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?
    Well, apparently not, it seems.

It makes me incredibly happy to see that the efforts to cancel the Will of the British People were nullified.

And try they most certainly did. Comic internet polls, which claimed to be superior to democratic referenda, ridiculous rallies, mass media lies, all sorts of delays, and yet the Will of the People held firm. I salute the British People.

Dissolve the EU, release the peoples of Europe.
    Last edited by ioannis76; December 29, 2020 at 06:10 AM.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post

It makes me incredibly happy to see that the efforts to cancel the Will of the British People were nullified.

And try they most certainly did. Comic internet polls, which claimed to be superior to democratic referenda, ridiculous rallies, mass media lies, all sorts of delays, and yet the Will of the People held firm. I salute the British People.

Well that´s democracy a I hope it will work well for UK, EU for all

However 51% britons seems to think it was wrong to vote leave opposing 41% agreeing with that. Yougov stats, that´s little better than "some internet polls". Funny thing is, in Czech a few years ago question of Czechit was also quite popular, you know what? Support for it now is way way way down. Seems Uk example is not the best.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...britons-think-

EDIT:
    Anyway we have to wait to see what future has for all of us but despite calling this moment whatever, victory or loss, time won´t stop. Future of NI, Scotland...it will take time before we know all caveats but i´m starting to see comments saying UK is lossing more than gaining while in many aspects we have basically status quo. And with any diversion from EU laws and rules it will be harder and harder, this current agreement is setting so many commities to discuss and negotiate stuff over and over...

My ex-gf moved to live in London, working in EU finance company. You know what? Majority of company is being transffered into Netherland and it seems that UK empoyees won´t be able to work/travel as easily inside EU so they plan to hire EU workers and let UK people go.... Happy Christmas :/
    Last edited by Daruwind; December 29, 2020 at 08:04 AM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Let's face the harsh reality, it was always like this- one foot in and one foot out. Yes Minister explains Brexit -Why Britain joined the European Union.

Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

The UK rejected an offer of visa-free tours by UK musicians to EU countries,because of Priti Patel's insistence that EU bands and musicians should not have free movement. It's further proof that Brexit is ideologically -driven and is anti-business and anti-consumer. What possible detriment would the UK suffer if the Skorpions, Boney M or Enigma wanted to make a few bob on tour here? Other countries like the US have no such issues. Ridiculous.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1784600.html

Quote Originally Posted by pchalk View Post
    Can't get Percy Pigs for example.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1784813.html

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post

It's alright for you, you aren't paying for it unlike the poor people whose will is causing chaos.

Businesses are struggling to export goods, even within the UK. Costs and delays are such that some have given up.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...box=1610263915
    Last edited by mongrel; January 10, 2021 at 06:48 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Britains fishing industry is collapsing post-Brexit even though they were promised sovereignity over 'our fish'. Reasons? We export most of our catch and red tape and delay means that our exports are costlier and less fresh than those provided by EU competitors. The price of fish for the domestic market is falling, leaving boats laid off as it becomes uneconomic to continue.

It seems to have come as a surprise . Not sure why because:

Fishing Minister is from Banbury, Oxfordshire, nowhere near the sea, let alone a fishing business.
    No experience of fishing industry whatsoever
    Despite 4 ½ years of Brexit negotiations, she has confessed that she was too busy to read 14 pages of final deal, having organised nativity trail (during the pandemic ffs).

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19...al/?ref=twtrec

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ng-term-damage

Now here is a lady who said she's glad she's spending £40k in preparation for Brexit, it's worth it for her grandkids she says.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...yren-shellfish

Post -Brexit, she complains that despite this administrative burden , sorry investment , her £50k consignment of shellfish is in dire peril due to red tape.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...er/ar-BB1cKeV7

So competition time - what word best describes this businesswoman?
    Last edited by mongrel; January 14, 2021 at 11:15 AM.

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    So competition time - what word best describes this businesswoman?
    I guess at least her motives for voting leave were unshellfish
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

So basically UK fishing industry is now killed? I thought that fishing were small hill that Boris pick up to defend because it was just PR and non issue in global scale. Something that can be shown as victory despite being totally meaningless...but now?

So basically UK fishing industry is now killed? I thought that fishing were small hill that Boris pick up to defend because it was just PR and non issue in global scale. Something that can be shown as victory despite being totally meaningless...but now?
    Yes unless the Government gets a grip on the process and compensates for losses (at taxpayer expense). I guess someone needs telling that if the price of a product goes up, the quality cannot drop, half-dead and totally deceased shellfish are of no use to continental restaurants.

Hearing the same about pork exports now. Apprently not enough vets. As it takes 3 years to train them and we can't just hire EU vets without red tape and costs , I'm curioius how this can be sorted without delays and costs.

https://meatmanagement.com/brexit-br...sure-says-npa/
    Last edited by mongrel; January 15, 2021 at 11:50 AM.