Thread: Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Brexit - Time to scrap it and start again?

Well for better or worse it looks like Brexit is happening.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Well for better or worse it looks like Brexit is happening.
    T was always the most likely thing. Still think it's an incredibly stupid thing to do, but there comes a point where you have to say "if you really insist on inflicting that on yourself, so be it". Perhaps if what you say is true, that the working class has helped brought this about, then it's a small consolation they're the ones who are going to suffer most because of it (and they will). Glad I'm not British myself though and glad to be forewarned if ever some moron tries to pull such a stunt in my country.
    Last edited by Muizer; December 13, 2019 at 02:59 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Think fun just started... Johnson won election with slogan "get Brexit done". Now he must get it done..and next January deadline is just Withdrawal act. Then there will be all future arrangements, trade deals etc. Plus now when Johnson has full responsibility, what will happen if the future is not as sunny and green paradise as Johnson tried to paint it? Like deal with USA

Plus Scotland and Ireland?

There is planty of fun ahead. And this is end for Corbyn. Next election are far away so doesn´t matter if he resign in week or month or two...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    T was always the most likely thing. Still think it's an incredibly stupid thing to do, but there comes a point where you have to say "if you really insist on inflicting that on yourself, so be it". Perhaps if what you say is true, that the working class has helped brought this about, then it's a small consolation they're the ones who are going to suffer most because of it (and they will). Glad I'm not British myself though and glad to be forewarned if ever some moron tries to pull such a stunt in my country.
    Cope.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Cope.
    and /thread

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

more like /britain
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Think fun just started... Johnson won election with slogan "get Brexit done". Now he must get it done..and next January deadline is just Withdrawal act. Then there will be all future arrangements, trade deals etc. Plus now when Johnson has full responsibility, what will happen if the future is not as sunny and green paradise as Johnson tried to paint it? Like deal with USA
    I love Europeans on here. It's almost like the UK has to act like an independent country. Crazy!
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post

Plus Scotland and Ireland?

There is planty of fun ahead.
    The thing is, with a majority this large and with radical remain elements purged from the party, plus with the opposition at its lowest ebb in decades, there won't be all that much 'fun' at all. The future arrangements/trade deals will take a long time to negotiate, but preliminary arrangements and a transition period can be put in place before then so there won't be any major cliff edge. And the negotiation process will not be under the same scrutiny or time pressure, nor will there be any notable political pressure on Johnson, since the pressure points (DUP arrangement, slim majority giving prominence to ERG, the Tory Remain fringe, the Brexit Party threat, the Speaker's role in directing a hung parliament) have all been totally neutralised. Johnson can go ahead and do whatever he wants and nothing can realistically stop him. He now has 5 years to play with, and by the end of that time any initial shocks caused by our departure next year will have been absorbed. Brexit will no longer take up a huge amount of political capital, so Boris can largely delegate it to somebody like Dominic Raab and carry on with other things.

Our economy will enjoy a bit of a boost now simply due to the uncertainty ending. Meanwhile continental Europe and the USA are going to go through some pretty major crises over the next 5 years, due to their own economic and political problems, and these may spill over into the British economy somewhat, which is going to muddy the waters for anyone trying to claim Brexit has adversely affected Britain. Northern Ireland may see an uptick in Sectarian conflict but we're not quite at the point where there will be a realistic Republican resurgence - most Catholics in Northern Ireland want to calm things down, not restart the Troubles.

Scotland meanwhile will be a different matter. Expect to see fireworks north of the border, with gigantic demonstrations and civil disobedience. If a referendum date is announced and the referendum doesn't happen, we may well see a Catalonia-style situation.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    more like /britain
    more like /labour and even more cope

and ofc as one would expect, the salt

People love democracy till their side loses

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...erendum-brexit

BTW: missing any news how Britain is doing in current pandemic. Still leaving, still no extension, still no changes under Boris yeay?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'd be half surprised if it turned out that Russia did not have anything to do with supporting the pro-brexiters.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Indefinitely Banned

Hold onto your potatoes, Brexiteers, it's gonna be a No Deal Brexit and they're going to go in raw.

"It just so happens that making the British prime minister happy isn't the vocation of sovereign leaders of the 27 member states that chose to remain in the EU." - @EmmanuelMacron
    , French President
    Source: https://twitter.com/dw_europe/status...15916358922240

Please try not to lynch Nigel Farage.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-blow-23066620

Optimistic scenarios speak about -11.3 recession in UK, the worst in 300 years. If you add the fact that Biden supports EU on the Irish border issue and the fact that Scottish and Welsh nationalists have secured their position as first parties in their area(which makes a future independence quite probable)then things are not looking good

I suspect Biden and Pelosi are pandering on the Irish border issue because they are Catholics. It’s frankly none of the US’ concern what the people of the UK choose to do in their own country. The US should be supporting the UK politically and economically, now more than ever. Instead it seems the Biden Admin will return to Obama’s hostility toward Brexit. Such scorn for our closest ally is shameful, especially while trying to woo the EU even though France and Germany are openly antagonistic or at a minimum uncooperative toward US interests half the time.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    I suspect Biden and Pelosi are pandering on the Irish border issue because they are Catholics. It’s frankly none of the US’ concern what the people of the UK choose to do in their own country. The US should be supporting the UK politically and economically, now more than ever. Instead it seems the Biden Admin will return to Obama’s hostility toward Brexit. Such scorn for our closest ally is shameful, especially while trying to woo the EU even though France and Germany are openly antagonistic or at a minimum uncooperative toward US interests half the time.
    One would imagine that UK proposers of "leaving" EU would think about such possibility and would account for it in all strategies ahead. Or at least for how long that Brexit situation is going on.. We have pandemics, possible new economic crisis, nobody is even caring about Brexit at moment and UK may be at best way to lose at least Scotland and become irrelevant country. More dependant country for USA the better... If we were in Total War game, I would suspect Uk player changed difficulty to legendary

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It was predicted in Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post

Comrade Data knows what's what.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post

4 more years ...

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Two different US administrations spent a lot of political capital on the the peace talks over northern Ireland that the US leaders would have some interest in UK possibly breaking the results cannot be reduced to pandering. I won't say Brexit is pure stupid but the way the UK has pursued it puts it close. Also form a US perspective it was rather more in US interests to convince the UK to stay in Europe.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.