Thread: What shoul a typical legion consist?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default What shoul a typical legion consist?

To be honest, I'm never the 'more is better' tuoe of player so having so many choices units playing Aurelian is too overwhelming for me. I can understand fifference between levies and legionaries but what's the different (besides stats and visual) between riman legionaries and cohorts?

What's the suggested full legion for this period based on existing units?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

FERRDO's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: What shoul a typical legion consist?

In this time period, I rather enjoy the diverse nature of the roster. You have a vast and aging empire whose military is constantly evolving and being influenced.

I started out the DLC trying to give Aurelian the typical Principate heavy infantry main body with 10 or so heavy infantry units with light amounts of cavalry, but I've been transitioning that to more cavalry units. This is historically accurate for the period as well, with a greater importance being placed on mounted versus foot. Also Aurelianus himself was a cavalry officer so you can roleplay it that way.

Right now, new legions I'm levying are around 50/50 - 60/50 infantry-cavalry.