Thread: Palmyra faction first impressions

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Default Palmyra faction first impressions

Hi guys, So after some some playtime with Palmyra faction I wanted to share my first impressions with you and hope for some feedback.
    Good performing units

- Hamian archers - best bow type + armour + anti-cav spear with 30 bonus? Talk about sweet combo.

- Cataphracts - very nice charge bonus and not very expensive. Early lancarii compliment anvil made of cohors very nicely. - chariots - mow down those levies! General always chariot/cataphracts.

- merc Syrian elephants from Antioch province - they are literally BEAST. Help so much in early fights with Galatia as they mow down those roman levies (and ur eco should be fine with so many rich regions, especially after conquering Egypt)

Underperforming

- horse archers - camel archers no parthian shot + bad bow. armoured horse archers are a joke: crap bow, unneeded armour, low manouverability and can merely beat skirmishers in melee + no decent auxiliary HA in vicinity (only steppes). Seriously, horse archers are meant to run around, why give em armour?

- legionnaries & cohors - get killed by all sword units, even roman levies. Only as anvil, cant do much on stand-alone basis. Far behind vanilla hoplites (which could just stand in phalanx and be an unmovable block of 160 guys) in terms of usability in battle.They should get phalanx as you research a tech called "greek military traditions"? CA please ...

Decent all around melee cav, and havent used much pikemen yet but i guess they perform just as well as any other pikemen.

What do you think?

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Palmyra faction first impressions

In my opinion, Palmyra faction is very interesting for myself and I have conquested the same area so far what Attila's Eastern Roman Empire has. I have noticed too that their legionnaries & cohors are like meh... for me and they don't have proper sword units like Aurelian's Rome and Gallic Rome has.

Also plus with this faction, when you control Egypt + Turkey landscape and when you upgrade your buildings. You will have nice money income.

I pretty much use the pikes/spearman...few swords to flank or just cav. After struggling with Galatia early on campaign has been pretty easy and am over 5k per turn now..so far Sassanids just sitting on my borders. Phew!

I prefer my cav with high melee defense so havent used the cataphracts much.

I only miss some sword units for Palmyra.
    "We will bring Rome to them not because of the strength of our legions, but because we are right"

"The Romans had left marble and stone, brick and glory."