Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Houserules

Default Re: Houserules

I can relate ;-)

When do you guys start implementing houserules into your playthroughs? Is it from Turn 1 or when your faction is no longer in danger to preserve the challenge? I'm saying that since playing in Greece region appears to be not conductive towards historicity of the events - because of how Total War works you will want to play off the other two sides against each other while you pick up the pieces and their cities. Like when I played as Makedon I ended up fighting Pyrrhos when he dropped the siege of Sparta {even though KH was bad at reinforcing it} and even though I could have easily slain him, I chose not to until he pretty much decided to kill himself on my troops. And then KH mustered an army that actually took Corinth from me, and now they have two actually strong fullstacks while I'm in debt and can't recruit more troops since Makedonia's starting situation is that bad. Gotta give props to the AI for actually being capable to assemble a strong army on it's own at all, but it makes me think I overdid it and should have been just trying to win at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    When do you guys start implementing houserules into your playthroughs? Is it from Turn 1 or when your faction is no longer in danger to preserve the challenge? I'm saying that since playing in Greece region appears to be not conductive towards historicity of the events - because of how Total War works you will want to play off the other two sides against each other while you pick up the pieces and their cities. Like when I played as Makedon I ended up fighting Pyrrhos when he dropped the siege of Sparta {even though KH was bad at reinforcing it} and even though I could have easily slain him, I chose not to until he pretty much decided to kill himself on my troops. And then KH mustered an army that actually took Corinth from me, and now they have two actually strong fullstacks while I'm in debt and can't recruit more troops since Makedonia's starting situation is that bad. Gotta give props to the AI for actually being capable to assemble a strong army on it's own at all, but it makes me think I overdid it and should have been just trying to win at all costs.
    I would start from the beginning, if you have the choice. That being said, you can start now, if you haven't done so already.

Some interesting RP'ing gamestyles here on display. Im partially envious how you can play with such strict and historical oriented houserules, as id have trouble keeping in line with such and would give in to the temptation to have it easier and more efficient.

I suppose it comes down to how people approach games and what kind of experience they are after, maybe its all the MMOs and competitive scene that has "ruined me" but for me it's challenge and trying to overcome myself and improving as player that im often after. Even RP games like Pillars of Eternity and such i tend to minmax and crank the difficulty as high as possible, while trying to come up with as efficient as possible builds. So in EB II i also just crank up difficulty to VH/VH instead and take most of my enjoyment from there for going against the odds and challenge.

But i do also to some extend RP and slow myself down and avoid the most blatant abuse of AI. For example i feel dirty just grabbing settlements AI has left without guarding by sneak attack (especially amphibious ones). And at times i do ceasefires that benefit enemy more than me rather than keep on steamrolling until all wiped out. I also might keep some AI Kingdom as my pet of sorts and support em and help em rather than just conquer easily as mine.

Also RP'ing by sending some general to capital to get some title (or general status), then building up fairly balanced stack (not too OP) for him and sending him on campaign, rather than just using resources and turns to maximum efficiency and keeping on going with constant pressure with help of mercs and so on. It also takes away from the flavour of the faction you play, if you don't occasionally spend time to gather up your main core units from your own lands, but rather just churn out local units and mercs on borders of your Empire. Id feel dirty for example using 100% non-roman army and going around invading with that as the romans.

Too aggressive expansion right in beginning can lead to being sorta "done" already with your game in 50-100 turns (especially as easier factions), as you achieved such superiority towards your neighbours that challenge is mostly gone, and just instead steady grind ahead. So peaceful times of focusing on building and letting your neighbours also strenghten up lets the AI give you better challenge, and is sort of satisfying too in Sim City/Civ sort of "build nice cities" kind of way.

All the traits and ancillaries are kinda addictive to collect, so at times i just rather send my generals to become "better people" in my education centers rather than using em to the their max gamey potential. Though at times im bit annoyed how the game forces me to send my conquering heroes back to capital to keep their general stars or get some titles, becomes at times too much of a hassle and micromanagement. Too bad there is no button for that which would for example freeze your character unable to move for 4 turns in your current city and simulate him going back to capital for titles and some political play and all that.

Anyways im tempted by the idea of trying one campaign sometime with RP focus and houserules, but im not sure if it would go too much against my "nature" and habitual preferences, to be anymore enjoyable. I guess i want the Alexander the Great conquering experience, rather than some hellenistic Diadokhoi/successor empire King's role of trying just hold on to those areas post-Alexander with no ambitions of expanding even further beyond known horizons. It's good EB II can provide for both styles of gameplay. As much as im into expanding unrealistically using game mechanics to my advance, i still take my time occasionally to stop and smell the roses and read the area descriptions of my newly conquered areas and enjoy all the flavour like that added to the game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123