Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roman army better looking in Empire Divided - simple suggestions

Default Roman army better looking in Empire Divided - simple suggestions

Hello CA,

I have a request for some cosmetic changes.

These changes only apply to items that are already ready and will be enough to move them from Rome 2 and Attila to Empire Divided.

I calculated that transferring these items would take less than an hour of work.

Just copy the textures and models from Attila and Rome 2, and add their names to the text files of the Empire Divided units.

Each of these points is a few minutes of work. All points - it's less than an hour. My request to update all points, or at least a few of them.

I saw that you made correct Roman pattern symbol from Dura Europos. Great.

However, there is a bad form of scutum.
    All the units which have scutum, they have scutum semicircular. They should have a rectangular scutum. The semi-circular scutum came out of use in the 2nd century AD. Rectangular has come out of use in the second half of the 3rd century AD, so during the game time.
    Correct scutum form is in Rome 2 to copy/paste.

Empire Divided scutum (nice pattern, wrong form - semicircular)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Correct form (rectangular) of 3rd century scutum:

Correct form (rectangular) of 3rd century scutum:

However, units cards have correct form (rectangular):

Only in-game version should be to fix. Imperial Romans from Rome 2 campaign have it.

There are too many Roman ridge helmets 'Burgh Castle' type. It has almost every Roman unit. There are 2-3 times more ridge (Burgh Castle) helmet than 3rd century helmets (Niederbieber) per unit.

I think they should be less proportionate to the helmets of the 3rd century AD because:

a) The oldest Roman ridge helmet found helmet is dated 280 AD. They became popular at the beginning of the 4th century AD after the Empire Divided game period.

b) Roman ridge helmets were introduced for economic reasons. The most elite units and generals in the game will be better with more trradical, decorated helmets (Niederbieber, Heddernheim and Guisborough).

Roman ridge helmet

The same example is with Deir-El Medineh spangenhelm. It is used by Praetorins, Evocati, generals and officer in Empire Divided. But like ridge helmets - this spangenhelm was popular after beginning of 4th century:

I suggest use these helmets for elite units and generals (3 helmets are in Empire Divided but should be more):

Guisborough (It's in game as general/officer helmets, but should be more than ridge and spangenhelm):

Heddernheim type 1

Niederbieber-Friedberg

In-game examples.

Herculiani (only few soldiers have Niederbieber, but most have 'golden' Burgh Castle)

Praetorians (nobody Niederbieber, but all have Burgh Castle ridge helmets and Deir-El Medineh spangenhelm)

Evocati (nobody Niederbieber, but all have Burgh Castle ridge helmets and Deir-El Medineh spangenhelm)

Ioviani (only few soldiers have Niederbieber, but most have 'golden' Burgh Castle and Intercisa helmets)

http://oi68.tinypic.com/105nm09.jpg
    [IMG]http://oi68.tinypic.com/105nm09.jpg[/IMG
    ]

Legionaries (only few soldiers have Niederbieber, but most have 'golden' Burgh Castle)

Equites scutarii (only few soldiers have Heddernheim, but most have Burgh Castle)

It would be better to promote new helmets made for this DLC than those transferred from the Attila.

Ridge Burgh Castle helmets have wrong 2 crests (from 3 all in game):
    - iron crest like Intercisa (wrong)
    - horsebkack like Niederbieber (wrong)
    - third picture shown correct crest to ridge

Small technical bug - Equites Scutarii has Heddernheim wiith crest added from Intercisa. It looks very weird:

I see in movies that you made great Imperial Italic H, but only few units of Gallic Empire have it. Like Aurelian faction - more units have ridge helmets.
    This helmet was popular in all Roman armies. You could add them more instead ridge helmets.

Bronze version was used, too:

In Dura Europos shown Roman chainmail helmet from 3rd century.
    This helmet is actually in Attila - faction Himyar (two infantry units have it).

In Attila is was based on Palmyran warrior from this plate:

It will be great to see it for all Roman factions, especially Palmyra.

So it's only to copy/paste from Attila.

I see that only emperors have greaves. Soldiers don't have greaves.

Roman units should have it, especially guards and heavy infantry.

In Attila there are these greaves:

Examples of 3rd century

Only few cavalry units use squamata. They have top or down pteruges:

They should have top and down pteruges per one squmata. Correct model to copy/paste is in Attila:

Put it for infantry units. too. Examples:

In the game some barbarian units have nice golden (bronze) chainmail. It will be great to add it to some Roman infantry. It will be more various.

Nice figures with squamata, golden squamata pteruges, greaves and chainmail helmet:

It's a small technical bug. Some units wearing lorica hamata and lorica squamata lost their belts.
    So their texture has holes and you can see tunics instead of belts:

These units should get belts.

In 2nd-3rd centuries AD legionaries wore short beards. Not all soldiers, but it was popular.

In Palmyra legionaries are some short beards. It's Greek body from Rome 2. Could you add it for Aurelian and Gallic Romans, too?
    Greek bodies are good - some of them have beards, some not.
    Could you add it for Aurelian and Gallic Romans, too?

Aurelian and his guards:

Only Herculiani and Ioviani have tunic patterns from the 3rd century.

You could add tunic from this age for another units. This design:

is in Attila:

Simple to copy/paste.

These points were about Roman army looking. I have one suggestion to changing helmets for barbarian factions like Celts and Germans.

Celts (Caledonians) have Germanic spangenhelmets and what is very weird - Niederstotzingen helmet. This helmet was copied from Attila - Longbeards Pack. This helmet was used around 7th century and never in British Islands.

I suggest to use other helmet - Meyrick Helmet:

It was used by Briton factions in Rome 2 grand campaign. So it's in game files.

It is better to use from 4 reasons:
    - there will be a difference of armor between Celts and Germans. Actually in Empire Divided they have only other tunic and shields but the same helmets.
    - Celtic army will be more various, specific;
    - this Meyrick helmet is closer to the time of Empire Divided than Rome 2 grand campaign (where it was used), because it is used in 1st-2nd century AD, So there are 300-400 years after grand campaign and 100 years before Empire Divided;
    - Meyrick helmet is closer to time of this DLC than Niederstotzingen which is few hundreds later and didn't use by Celts. Mayerick is typical Celtic helmets.

With the new patch I would like to ask for the availability of the Imperial-Gallic helmet of this type:

It is in the game files since the release of Rome 2, but wasn't added to the game. People use it in mods. This is a characteristic helmet of Roman army. It would be good to see him in the Roman campaign of Emperor Augustus and Roman roster in Custom Battles/Multiplayer.

Each of these points is a few minutes of work. All points - it's less than an hour. My request to update all points, or at least a few of them.

Regards,
    G. B. "Roman reenactor".

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Roman army better looking in Empire Divided - simple suggestions

You will have to rely on modders.
    They can do these modifcations (shall not be too difficult AFAIK).

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Great info mate.

The more I read on TWC the more I think that CA is purposely messing things up. They don't even have to hire a historian. One team member could simply surf through TWC for 20 minutes and correct everything.

They would never get all People to agree to their work, preferences are too different.

Better to have an easy access for modding projects.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

>implying CA are gunna do anything but copy across random shield designs from Attila then distribute them at random across all the units, then make one new shield for low tier infantry as fan service
    Hell, the part that irritates me the most is the way the shields have been distributed at complete random. I've seen Pedites Domestici, Comitatenses and limitanei spears shields all mixed in together in the one unit. the Equites have the same shields as the Imperial Dromedarii, mixed in with a bunch of other randomly chosen shield patterns. It's very lazy. Honestly even using just one of them would look better. Eg. Cohors all have the Comitatenses star pattern, Legio have the Domestici ones or something like that.
    Thank the gods for the modding community. Because don't get me wrong, the new features do look very nice and I'm keen to see the 3rd century crisis being shown in an official TW campaign.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Agree completely with the OP, esp. regarding the Niederbieber helmet which should be by far the most common one at this time.

In the meantime, is there anyone who can change this so the units wearing the Niederbieber on the units cards also only wears types of these in battle?
    “Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.” - Horace 65 BC

The funny thing is that Eastern heavy infantry have those rectangular shields. That's one thing that I'd like to see for the Romans. The rest I don't care much.
    "We will bring Rome to them not because of the strength of our legions, but because we are right"

"The Romans had left marble and stone, brick and glory."

Hi Guys. I am currently working on Aurelian forces reskin. However because it my first mod I am playing only with rome 2 texture assets(and there a bit IMHO), nothing more. Lets call it an provisional mod for ED until a proper modders will recreate roman roster. Ye those mix and mach of helms and CA lazyness pushed me to do that

Quote Originally Posted by sanbourne View Post
    The funny thing is that Eastern heavy infantry have those rectangular shields. That's one thing that I'd like to see for the Romans. The rest I don't care much.
    Which one I did not notice it ?
    Last edited by Mac101; December 02, 2017 at 05:24 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202120749_1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	349676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202120811_1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	551.6 KB 
ID:	349677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202120826_1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	616.6 KB 
ID:	349678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202120839_1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	607.1 KB 
ID:	349679

What I have done so far. I am on the ropes with giving scutum to the legs as it was being phased out by the end of 3rd century. I will also give spaha to all infantry
    Last edited by Mac101; December 02, 2017 at 06:19 AM.

Looking excellent so far. I was slightly annoyed that the standard issue Roman Legionaries looked prettymuch identical to the Cohors. Well done. Upload to the workshop soon?
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Looking excellent so far. I was slightly annoyed that the standard issue Roman Legionaries looked prettymuch identical to the Cohors. Well done. Upload to the workshop soon?
    I will upload it tomorrow or Monday as I have few units to go through and its my first mod so I am a bit slogish

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Roman legionaries would probably all have been spear infantry by this period with a longer sword being a secondary weapon.

Also the use of the oval shield would be more appropriate. The rectangular scutum would be ok for the early 3rd century but probably not the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    First five units are on the workshop Named:
    Aurelian army more historical look v0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mac101 View Post
    Which one I did not notice it ?
    I don't remember any specific unit. But I know both Armenia and the Sassanid have them (at least). Both spear and sword infantry.
    "We will bring Rome to them not because of the strength of our legions, but because we are right"

"The Romans had left marble and stone, brick and glory."

Awesome. Not to be picky, but will you eventually change the unit cards to fit the remodeled units? Mainly the shields shown in the unit cards don't fit any more. But that is an extremely minor nitpick, nice work

I'd appreciate it if anyone could make a mod that simply gives the Aurelian legionaries the Niederbieber & Heddernheim helmets (in all their types) as depicted on the unit cards and nothing else, I'm fine with the shields as they are, just tired of seeing Roman heavy infantry running around with cavalry helmets and 4th century cheap helmets.
    “Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.” - Horace 65 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Sir. Cunningham View Post
    I'd appreciate it if anyone could make a mod that simply gives the Aurelian legionaries the Niederbieber & Heddernheim helmets (in all their types) as depicted on the unit cards and nothing else, I'm fine with the shields as they are, just tired of seeing Roman heavy infantry running around with cavalry helmets and 4th century cheap helmets.
    You know, Niederbieber and Heddernheim helmets were cavalry helmets in the first, do not you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    You know, Niederbieber and Heddernheim helmets were cavalry helmets in the first, do not you?
    I know the Heddernheim was ALSO used as a cavalry helmet, but then without the reinforcing crossbar on top, the Niederbieber however was simply an evolution of the common gallic style helmet that offered improved protection. These two were the most common helmet types amongst legionary infantry during the mid 3rd to mid 4th century, with the crossbar when meant for infantry and without it when meant for cavalry.

What's really annoying is seeing Aurelian infantry running around with what looks like Germanic Spangenhelm.

Now if only I could figure out how to mod it myself then I'd just be on my merry way, but it seems many of the tutorial threads are unmaintained (no pictures showing etc.).
    Last edited by Sir. Cunningham; December 05, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

I know the Heddernheim was ALSO used as a cavalry helmet, but then without the reinforcing crossbar on top, the Niederbieber however was simply an evolution of the common gallic style helmet that offered improved protection.
    Cavalry Niederbieber could have crossbars either (there was great a diversity of designs) and the Niederbieber, I would hardly call a simple evolution. It was rather a revolution what happened in the late 2nd / early 3rd century wherein the Roman army, legions and auxiliaries alike, did change dramatically.

A very good book about this I can recommend you is:
    https://www.amazon.com/Legions-Crisi...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Otherwise I agree wholeheartely, I would like to have almost only the typical Imperial 3rd century AD helmets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast