Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KINGDOM OF FRANCE (REVAMP)

Default KINGDOM OF FRANCE (REVAMP)

Kingdom of France
    (ROSTER EXTENSION/ REVAMP)
    The original thread of the French faction description and preview is on the link below. Made by warman222.

(http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gdom-of-France)

Strengths : Has access to more varied heavy cavalry from mid to late tiers. Can train from light melee to heavy melee units, spears, polearms, voulges, pikes. Elite professionals with named companies but limited recruitement pool. Good all around.

Weaknesses : Lacks light cavalry units but can recruit only in later tiers. Has access to pikemen but not professional and must rely on mercenaries on nearby regions.

A very big help from Zsimmortal for providing me the informations I need for this faction.
    Also the guidance from other team members and the people from MK 1212 AD discord server.

Tier 1

Missile Units

Arbalestriers Leves
    (Levy Crossbowmen)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Archers

Arbalestriers

Melee Units

Piquichins
    (Long Spear armed Men)

Pietons Leves
    (Levy Spearmen)

Ribauds
    (Light armed volunteer shock troops)

Sergents (Axe)

(Sergeant Axemen Tier 1 only)

Guisarmiers des Communes
    (Communal Billmen)

Sergents
    (Sergeants)

D. Chevaliers
    (Foot Knights)

Sergent d'Armes
    (Sergeant at Arms, Elite capped unit)

Cavalry Units

Arbalestriers Montes
    (Mounted Crossbowmen)

Sergent Montes
    (Mounted Sergeants)

Cliens
    (Junior/Lesser Knights)

Chevaliers
    (Knights)

Roi de France
    (King and King's Bodyguards)
    Last edited by banskie100; December 03, 2017 at 08:23 AM.

Default Re: KINGDOM OF FRANCE (REVAMP)

Tier 2

Missile Units

Arbalestrier Leves

Archers

Arbalestriers

Melee Units

Piquichins

Pietons Leves

Ribauds

Voulgiers Leves

Voulgiers des Communes

Pavoisiers des Communes

Sergents

D. Chevaliers

Sergent d'Armes

Cavalry Units

Arbalestriers a cheval

Sergents a cheval

Cliens

Chevaliers

Gens d'Armes

Roi de France
    Last edited by banskie100; December 03, 2017 at 08:07 AM.

Tier 3

Missile Units

Franc-Archers

Franc-Archers
    (Crossbowmen Variant)
    Same unit but armed with crossbows, no pic ATM

Arbalestriers

Couleuvriniers

Garde Ecossaise
    (Longbowmen)

3e Compagnie

Melee Units

Piquiers

Pavoisiers Leves

Ribauds

Voulgiers Leves
    no pic ATM

Pavoisiers des Communes

Hallebardiers des Communes

Sergents

Garde Ecossaise (Halberdiers)

D. Chevaliers

Cavalry Units

Arbalestriers a Cheval

Sergents a Cheval

Coutiliers

Chevaliers

Gens d'Armes

Gentilshommes a bec de corbin

Roi de France

Last edited by banskie100; December 03, 2017 at 09:40 AM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Nice crown on the king. Is that new?

​~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

claymore833's Avatar Civis

Tier 3 when
    The Pike & Musket mod is active again in 2016, check the PMTW Sub Forum now!

updated tier 2 and 3

Congrats for your solid, very nice looking work ! I have some suggestions and questions regarding this roster however, needless to say that it is just my opinion. First, the aesthetics : imo the Scottish guard, both archers and hallebardiers, could look even better with the new greaves that some of your t3 knights actually use, judging by this XVth century picture they correspond almost completely with the ones that were worn by these men.

Another point, that could be a sensitive one, is the use of these "daemonic" shields by your t3 mounted and dismounted sergents. I don't want to be petty, besides Fawn_Rescuer has already made some great skins, but honestly they look strange, at best.
    My questions : what do you mean exactly by "capped"? Three units, ten units ? It is pretty obvious that the t3 gendarmes outmatch the knights but what about the t2 gendarmes and the t1 sergents d'armes ? It seems they are 90 per unit when dismounted.
    What do you mean also by "must rely on mercenaries on nearby regions"? Is the french recruitment pool limited by the borders of the actual France, and through which ones if not so ? Will there be special bonds between the french monarchy and mercenaries from Switzerland in the game ?
    Thank you for your attention, that's all for now !

@minnesinger:
    1. Merci! Well, I'll leave it as it is because I am done making changes and it will be the final look.
    2. I think that shield's look is okay for me.
    3. Capped units, the unit recruitement limitation will depend upon to a team member's decision who is making the campaign now.
    4. What I mean is the French pike units is not so reliable even though they have one. Historically, they depended on Swiss mercenaries to do their job.

Yep, as expected... Another nearly flawless roster. Divers, elaborate and fancy-looking... especially these cav units and dismounted knights! Everything you need for some glorious french gameplays. Great job, banskie!
    Last edited by Heisenburrg; December 04, 2017 at 03:33 PM.

Aye banskie really outdid himself here.

Wonderful units! Especially the knights. Excellent work

Quote Originally Posted by banskie100 View Post
    @minnesinger:
    1. Merci! Well, I'll leave it as it is because I am done making changes and it will be the final look.
    2. I think that shield's look is okay for me.
    3. Capped units, the unit recruitement limitation will depend upon to a team member's decision who is making the campaign now.
    4. What I mean is the French pike units is not so reliable even though they have one. Historically, they depended on Swiss mercenaries to do their job.
    Ah ... Too bad. Understandable though, and already great how it is.
    Will you keep Joan of Arc ?

Conghrats on completing the roster! As always your knightly and royal guard units look absolutely amazing. Those officers on the Scots' Guard are just stunning!

One criticism I do have is the very widespread use of mail on some of the on-knightly tier 1 units. The tier 1 units of most other Western European rosters are much more lightly armored and it seems strange for a faction that is not exactly infantry focused to have infantry that is so much more heavily armored.

I am also skeptical about the inclusion of pikemen. Pikes are already way too ubiquitous among Western European rosters and for a knight focused faction that as you said relied mostly on Swiss mercenaries for its pikemen to have pike units seems odd to me.

Can someone provide me evidence about French and English using pavises? I would realy appreaciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    Can someone provide me evidence about French and English using pavises? I would realy appreaciate it.
    They show up in French miniatures, like these for example :

Beyond that, there are specifically named troops which indicate that it was used (so-called Pavisarii, or Pavessiers/Pavisiers/Pavesiers).

Can you tell me if other 'western' ('catholic') factions all used them? Are there some exceptions? I guess only scandinavia and scotland not used them? not sure about spain. Any help is welcomed. Sorry if I am asking this in wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    Can you tell me if other 'western' ('catholic') factions all used them? Are there some exceptions? I guess only scandinavia and scotland not used them? not sure about spain. Any help is welcomed. Sorry if I am asking this in wrong thread
    I'm not too knowledgeable about other regions quite honestly. It was quite popular in the Holy Roman Empire and adjacent areas (Italy, France, Flanders, Hungary, etc.), that's as much as I can tell.

Probably not as popular in the Iberian Peninsula as in other areas, but still definitely used both in pitched battles and sieges. Also widely used at sea to equip everything from tall ships, through galleys, to even small row boats.

One of my main discussions with the Portuguese roster creator was the fact that there were no pavises on it. At the time I couldn't safely demonstrate its use outside sieges and somewhat towards the late period, now I can safely say that they were used in the high period as well, and in pitched battles. So probably something the team should consider changing.

Also, why do some factions have the "right" to use native names (which I'm definitely "for") while others do not?
    Last edited by Sarcasm_pt; April 25, 2018 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm_pt View Post
    Also, why do some factions have the "right" to use native names (which I'm definitely "for") while others do not?
    It's up to the faction creator, not a right per se.

Hence the quotation marks.

Maybe some uniformity in that sense is in order? Could be kinda cool to even have pronunciation guides in the unit descriptions and everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast