Thread: Tales After the Crusade - a collection of shorter tales

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Tales After the Crusade - a collection of shorter tales

Tales After the Crusade

by NorseThing

Chapter 2.2 The Norman Conquest of Italy

Still 1100 A. D.

from the previous episode:

The next few months are filled with dockside activity. Preparations are now begining in earnest to load provisions and all manner of supplies onto the fleet while it is safe within the Palermo's harbor.

Today, the modest Palermo garrison has assembled on the docks with banners and flags. Three companies of infantry and three companies of cavalry are now prepared to embark. They begin the process of boarding the transports by marching forward. These are well trained and experienced units. If not all battle hardened, they at least know how to drill in good order.

We now continue with The Norman Conquest of Italy:

The stone castle will be in a dangerous positon for some time after the experienced garrison leaves. There will still be a minimal garrison, but they will all be recent recruits and will need training and experience to safely protect the center of the Sicilian kingdom. Soon the fleet sails off towards Syracuse as ordered by the king.

Admiral Serlo was on the fleet's flag ship tending to the details of such an important journey. The admiral is a young nobleman full of promise but unproven at the age of 29. This will be his first great task to actually command an invasion fleet. He has thoughts of the great King William of England and of course his ancestral home in Normandy. Odo, the Bishop of Bayeaux had died close to Palermo while sailing on Crusade to Jerusalem as a part of the Norman army. Adm. Serlo knows that he and truly any Norman could not measure up favorably in comparison to such great legends of his Norman heritage. But perhaps as the fleet sails from Palermo, maybe the spirit of Odo and even William will be with us.

The fleet drops anchor off of Syracuse. This is not the safest anchorage for this or any fleet. The Syracuse garrision now prepares to board various designated ships within the fleet. This garrison is a bit weaker than the Palermo garrison. However the Muslim Archers are truly a step up from the Levy Archers in the Palermo garrison. The Urban Militia lack the experience of their castle comrades. Just like in Palermo there has been advanced planning for a company of new recruits to make a minimal garrison after the fleet pulls anchor.

There is a substantial minority of Arabs that have remained in Syracuse and the surrounding county after the Norman nobility replaced the Arab nobility. The recruitment of the archers is a natural result. Actually almost a third of the county is still of the Islamic faith unlike in Greater Sicilia where the Islamic faith is diminishing due to the presence of Cardinal Niccolo di Palermo as well as the clergy working within the castle chapel.

Time is precious since the fleet is most vulnerable when at anchor. Loading troops and additional supplies takes time, but to rush matters could make for mistakes later in the journey when there is no nearby support. Adm. Serlo now at least has the support with the small town of Syracuse even if it is lacking the most basic dock facilities of Palermo and Naples.

Much to the admiral's surprise, it appears that the Governor of Syracuse is boarding with the garrison! Roberto de Conversano is only 28 and has not established any interest in military affairs. Yet he is boarding the fleet! Roberto does not board the flag ship, but one of the designated transports with the troops. More time will now be wasted. A noble and an enterage with additional cavalry as a bodyguard takes time to settle. This was not planned by Admiral Serlo. This also concerns the Admiral for other reasons as well. Has he been intentionally slighted? Has the Admiral lost the confidence of the king himself? Is Roberto simply inserting himself for personal glory?

Eventually the troops are settled by cramming the decks for the short journey accross the open Mediteranean Sea towards the Adriatic Sea. The supplies are stowed and secured in the holds. The problem of Roberto will need to resolve itself at a later date. The fleet now proceeds off towards the castle at Bari. Bari may only be a wooden castle, but it is stategic due to it's location at the joining of the Adriatic Sea with the Central Mediteranean Sea.

The fleet is now entering dangerous waters as it sails closer to County Apulia lands. The castle occupants will know the goings and comings between the two seas. To be seen by the defenders of the Castle is of course obvious. The powerful Venician fleet is rumored on patrol. On what terms are the nobles of Apulia with Venice? The Greeks are also just across the Adriatic. Any signal from Bari to an ally of Bari could lead to disaster. These empires are officially neutral, but the memories of the Crusade are still stirring emotions.

Let's back up in time for a moment. There were rumors of more than one Sicilian attempt to breach the safety of the high walls surrounding Constantinople during the Crusade. These were not open military confrontations, but more of subterfuge with the dark arts of spies and assasins. The Sicilians were present with the Norman Crusading force. The rumor was that this subterfuge was the work of Sicily and only Sicily. So perhaps the Sicilians were not present just as Crusaders.

The vulnerablity of the Greek Emperor may have been on many Norman adventurers mind as well. Some of the Normans had hoped that the Greek Emperor would lead the Crusade. The Emperor chose to resupply these men and wish them well as they moved on. But that was several years ago. They were rumors and were never really recorded in the chronicles at the time.

Let's return to today with the Sicilian fleet. What were the intentions of the Greeks and the Venicians today while the Sicilian fleet moved closer to the Adriatic Sea and the wooden castle at Bari?

While the fleet was moving, events were taking place in Naples as well. An envoy from the Pope had arrived seeking to establish some mutually profitable trade relationships with the new Sicilian masters of Naples. Romoaldo and the garrison had already yet left for Bari.

He was pleased that the Papal envoy had arrived. It was not a complete surprise. Romoaldo had heard that this might happen, so he had left instructions with the captain of the newly recruited replacement garrison. The envoy was treated with respect, but Romoaldo had a counter offer ready and in the hands of the captain. In addition to trade, the captain proposed that Rome join forces in an alliance with Sicily. "We can also give our soldiers mutual permission to treat Rome and Sicily as a single empire as military defense requires of close allies."

Much to Romoaldo's surprise, he quickly heard that the counter proposal was accepted. Not accepted with enthusiasm however. But accepted none the less. Much of this surprise was due to no promise of money toward the Papal expenses. Romoaldo thought it was common knowledge that all dealings with the Pope were easier when money also changed hands. Did Rome know of the fleet heading towards Bari Castle? Were the Sicilians falling into a trap to serve the Popes interests more than King Ruggero's interests?

This could be a great diplomatic victory for King Ruggero's noble House of d'Altavilla and for all of Sicily. Romoaldo was only a part of the House by marriage. Since his wife Princess Emma had not added to the family with a new generation, his postion was not secure. He hoped the king would recognize his part in this treaty, but only if this was not a mistake. Maybe he should have entrusted Emma with the offer? That would have been the safer path.

An unstated and necessary part of such an alliance would to be to support the clergy. This was done by authorizing the immediate construction of small churches in the settlements lacking such houses of worship. This was meant both to strengthen the bonds with Rome and to also lessen the residual Muslim influence on the Sicilian peasant population. Even Cardinal Niccolo di Palermo began a series of sermons. The sermons seemed to focus more on biblical violence than on redemption though. The parish priests as well as the local lesser nobles were impressed. A new Papal alliance, new church construstion, and even the Cardinal teaching the people from many church pulpits... Even the 'independant' counties near to Naples have christian support of faith of less than 4 of 5 within their population. Certainly this would be a great concern with the Pope and the entire clergy of the church. Was this a sign of a new future Crusade they wondered? What were higher powers planning?

Meanwhile the fleet was continuing across the central Mediteranean Sea moving ever closer to unknown danger. Admiral Serlo led the point of the fleet with his flagship. Close on the port side there is cheering and a loud ruckus aboard one of the transport ships. Much to the Admiral's surprise it appears that the King himself is with the fleet. Now cheers are being heard from every ship. The King is present with the fleet! Rex Sicilian himself. The sailors are smarter in their duties. The ships are now moving faster and with greater efficiency. The King is with the fleet!

-- to be continued --

Last edited by NorseThing; December 28, 2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: punctuation

Good updates.I wonder what will happen to the faithless counties near Naples.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

At the risk of echoing some feedback you gave me not too long ago - I really enjoy the borrowing of little tidbits from history to add some depth to your stories. The very diverse Muslim, Greek and Catholic population can make for a very interesting setting. It was a very brief period of time, but Sicily as both a county and a kingdom under the Hauteville dynasty (a little over 100 years between initial Norman conquest and when the last Hauteville king, William III was usurped and control passed to the Holy Roman Empire) all three cultures merged and flourished and it is absolutely fascinating to read about. I would highly recommend it if you have the time.

As for where this tale may go next, it will be very interesting to see how the presence of the King affects the voyage of the mighty Sicilian fleet, and what his plans might be! Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    At the risk of echoing some feedback you gave me not too long ago - I really enjoy the borrowing of little tidbits from history to add some depth to your stories. The very diverse Muslim, Greek and Catholic population can make for a very interesting setting. It was a very brief period of time, but Sicily as both a county and a kingdom under the Hauteville dynasty (a little over 100 years between initial Norman conquest and when the last Hauteville king, William III was usurped and control passed to the Holy Roman Empire) all three cultures merged and flourished and it is absolutely fascinating to read about. I would highly recommend it if you have the time.

As for where this tale may go next, it will be very interesting to see how the presence of the King affects the voyage of the mighty Sicilian fleet, and what his plans might be! Looking forward to it!
    I admit that my comments to you were a bit of my own preferences as well. That is why my comments about the bits of history were made.

We will both be surprised for the next episodes. Unlike the last tale, I am writing this one as I go instead of keeping a few episodes in the can awaiting regular release dates. I had done the game play and did not know the king was with the fleet. I noticed a character trait announcement and decided to go with the 'mistake'. This is all an experiment in character development. See my blog post for more complete discussion.
    Last edited by NorseThing; December 31, 2017 at 09:27 PM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like the way you're including details to explain why decisions are being made - why the alliance is important to Romoaldo, for instance. I'm looking forward to seeing how the character development turns out, especially since you're writing this as you go.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Great update! I particularly enjoyed the way that you show us the reactions of your characters to each other, such as Admiral Serlo's reaction to the unexpected decision by the Governor of Syracuse and Romoaldo's reaction to the arrival of the Papal envoy. I wonder if there will be more consequences to the decision of the high-born passenger to travel with the fleet.

I have temporarily suspended chapter 2 The Norman Conquest of Italy. Call it for technical reasons. I am going to proceed with this AAR in chapter 3. This will be a chapter before the First Crusade and will be using the Lands to Conquer Modification by Lusted from quite a few years ago. I will return and continues chapter 2 when the technical issues are resolved. Your patience as a reader is appreciated.
    Last edited by NorseThing; February 10, 2018 at 08:44 PM.

Tales After the Crusade

Chapter 3.1

A Danish Household
    (Before the First Crusade)

by NorseThing

1080 After the Death of our Lord

Arhus, the capital town under the authority of King Knud's household.

King Knud was concerned. Events over all of Europe were about to rewrite the map of the royal houses. The king knew this just by looking at his own household. Knights were becoming very aggressive. The smallest disagreements could have violent outcomes. The stability of even the best of the royal houses was always in danger of collapse by either internal or external divisions. Loyalties were suspect. The least marginal gain could buy the loyalty of a neighboring knight or perhaps only a few of his entourage of footmen and various disgruntled freehold farmers, but such loyalty might not last until the next dawn. Loyalty bought with gold is simply not the same as a loyal blood relative. Even the most loyal relative married into the family was not the dame as blood relatives. It was always best, King Knud believed, to keep even marriage within the confines of the extended family.

Certainly this could explain why the Knud authority had not expanded beyond Denmark. Other Viking families had no issue with sending their sons over the seas to extend the authority of the Vikings. Much of Britain and the northern shores of France were now traditional homes to Vikings. But much of this had occurred before they had become Christians. Now the Pope had differing thoughts about the taking of lands and the killing of those who opposed such takings. This was specially true of taking the lives of fellow Christains, but all lives were valued by the current Pope.

King Knud knew the time had come for his Danish household to expand it's authority. Eat or be eaten seems to be the advice of many of the smaller but independent provincial families. With that attitude of his certainly honorable neighbors, what was in store for the future of his Danish household?

He reorganized his modest local forces. He formed up a royal army of 4 spear militia companies, 3 companies of peasant archers, a company of his prized Norse Archers, and a company of peasants into a bit of a wartime frenzy. Together with his personal cavalry regiment that were his very loyal bodyguards this force would begin what he hoped would be a campaign covered in glory. This meant doing some expediant actions that were never considered good solutions in the past. Hiring of a mercenary fleet to transport his loyal troops was never before considered acceptable. Now he had done just that.

The fleet was loaded nut only with enough supplies for the immediate goals. Resupply would be essential for the success of this mission. The mercenary fleet sailed away from Arhus. They sailed into the Baltic Sea. The first goal was to the motte and bailey at Stettin along the Pomeranian coast. With luck a modest force could overwhelm the local nobles before even the Holy Roman Empire could move to protect their sometimes aggressive neighbor.

Meanwhile Prince Charles would be accompanied by two companies: spear militia and peasant archer. This was meant to meet up with the modest Danish home fleet that was on patrol in the North Sea near Jutland, but now was nearing Swedish lands after passing north of the Danish kingdom and south of the independant principality of Norway. This meant that even the garrison of the capital was to little if any emergancy would arise.

Kolbein is an adept spy for the king. He has just scouted out the near territory surrounding the Hamburg castle. he did not attempt to enter the castle itself. The risk of failure was to great. He was able to report some basic information to Princess Ingrid though.

"Princess, the castle region seems to generate a periodic value to the empire about the same as our beloved region of our kingdom of Denmark. There is great potential for more though if the right noble would take the effort to develop the resources. At the very least there is great potential for silver mining. Much more may be present in Saxony. Further investigation is needed to give the king a complete report. The population is less than 1/5 of our kingdom. This is important to consider as well as the lackluster population growth. A better governor is truly needed and the Saxon province of could become a very important region for our king."

Ingrid responded rather curtly, "Kolbein, as a noble member of the King's household..." She paused. Maybe more for dramatic effect, but also to be very careful in what was next stated. "The king wants to know the garrison. The king wants to know the nature of the governor. You did not even enter the castle and speak with the peasants. You know nothing of value that adds to our knowledge."

The noble Kolbein responded, "All that you say is correct. Perhaps I have failed in my mission. Perhaps there is another better suited for the king on this mission of subterfuge. I can add a bit though it may not be enough..."

Last edited by NorseThing; February 12, 2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: formating ant terrible spelling

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Yay, Danish conquest. Also, the princess was rather abrupt with Kolbein, who is doing his duty after all.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Reading to chapter 1.4, it reminds me of Knightfall's exciting climax. I loved it and will continue to give more feedback!

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Your patience as a reader is appreciated.
    You're assuming you actually have my patience as a reader

Kidding of course, its nice to see that you didn't let whatever technical issues etc you may be having stop you from adding to your AAR! Sounds like there's a lot of tension in the Danish household right now, hopefully they can direct that energy toward their foes!

Tales After the Crusade

Chapter 3.2

A Danish Household

by NorseThing

Still 1080 After the Death of our Lord

The noble Kolbein responded, "All that you say is correct. Perhaps I have failed in my mission. Perhaps there is another better suited for the king on this mission of subterfuge. I can add a bit though it may not be enough..."

We continue the tale:

"Dietrich is the noble that governs Saxony. He is just the governor, but he likes to imply that he is the hereditary leader of the region. He governs from Hamburg castle with an iron fist. This was the dominating military feature near the Danish Kingdom, but it is really an empty shell. Yes, there is a formidable garrison, but no training facilities. I believe my information is correct. Though the 4 militia companies, as well as the peasant archer and infantry companies are an impressive number, they are not local. The personal bodyguard for Dietrich is loyal and would probably fight to the death to defend Dietrich's honor. The Holy Roman Empire would always train their impressive armies throughout the empire. Troops were deployed as the Emperor felt an area needed. This entire region was a hotbed of discontent and the local militia were clearly not trusted by the empire. The castle was thus garrisoned to maintain control over the entire region as well as being able to deploy troops for the occasion raids on the neighboring independent provinces."

Princess Ingrid responded, "Thank you for this report noble Kolbein. This is really what we need to assess the next steps. The king will be most appreciative of your efforts. I must meet with Dietrich. There may yet be a profit in this endeavor."

With this limited discussion, the meeting with Princess Ingrid was ended. Kolbein headed further north to learn more. Princess Ingrid proceeded on to Hamburg Castle. A meeting with the governor was now most important before active war broke out between King Knud and his army against the independent Pomeranians. Days, even hours may make a difference.

Later in 1080 A.D. at Hamburg castle:

Princess Ingrid has arrived. She is confident in her mission. Her natural ability to negotiate and her previously proven diplomatic abilities would now be tested to their utmost.

The governor, Dietrich, is not in his formal meeting chambers. Instead they meet by chance near one of the store rooms as she is being escorted to the meeting place. It seems like an unplanned chance encounter, but...

Dietrich, acknowledging the Princess, "May it please your highness to sit down for a spell. There is a pleasant set of shaded seats as we draw nearer to the meeting hall. This castle is pretty much barren of most pleasantries that you would be used to, but these seats will have to do. We can talk here before any formal meeting. Even these castle wall stones may have ears, but I doubt it."

As Dietrich speaks, the escorts have quietly disappeared as well as her own people. The two of them are now alone. This is very bad protocol to deal with for a Princess, specially for one so fair and not yet having even a betrothal being announced. It is apparent that Dietrich seems to have planned this meeting.

Dietrich begins, "Princess Ingrid, I have reason to believe from my sources of information that King Knud is now moving by a purchased fleet into the Baltic Sea. This is perilous. This is not friendly territory for the king. Anything could happen. A sudden storm could sink the ship carrying your father. A not trustworthy captain could have dealt both with your father and also with a representative of the Emperor. Dealing twice for one service is not unknown in these uncertain times."

Princess Ingrid coolly responds, "You speak as a man who has experience dealing with these captains for hire. You have me at a great disadvantage. I have no knowledge where my father is at this moment. The last I knew, he was comfortable within our capital town of Arhus, but that was a month ago. So please speak your mind. I should not want to put words in your mouth. Please do not speak as a noble in such matters of intrigue."

Dietrich looked actually surprised at Princess Ingrid's response to his revelations. "Princess Ingrid. You do me a dishonor by doubting my intentions before we have even had time to become acquainted. We have never meet. Please pause and let us start with a cleaner slate. Perhaps, I was hasty."

Princess Ingrid softened her face and her voice, "Perhaps we were both too hasty."

"I must admit that this castle is barren of my most dearly missed luxuries from back home. I have been assigned to the Hamburg castle in Saxony because of my ability to deal with the local rebels. I have become experienced in ambushes having survived so many of them myself over the last decade. I tire of presiding over a castle at the edge of an empire," said a now a bit chastened Dietrich.

Princess Ingrid now began with her most diplomatic voice, "I think there is room for both your personal gain as well as for your emperor to gain by permitting Denmark to come into closer cooperation with the Empire's needs. I speak of this castle and the Saxony region. We both desire this province, and we can both profit from it's development. The Empire has other needs than to just build up Saxony though."

The Princess continued, "Denmark has no such complicating needs. Denmark is a small kingdom. We could develop the silver mines and the other resources of Saxony. Your Emperor has known about these resources. This takes gold. Emperor Heinrich's challenges over such a large empire has meant that Saxony has been left out."

"It is true that there are many needs and only so many coins," Dietrich quipped.

Princess Ingrid now forces the issue, "We as Denmark can be focused to our mutual benefit. An annual tribute of perhaps 500 florins could be arranged. This is of course less than what the province currently generates for the Emperor, but then there are no wages and support for the military that already is deployed. I am certain the empire's army has better duty needs than to garrison a friendly frontier with Denmark."

Thus after more details a formal deal was created that passed the authority over Saxony to Denmark and meant the Empire was free to deploy the Hamburg garrison to other duties. Dietrich quickly took the garrison toward Stettin in Pomerania. Dietrich was very surprised when his forces approached the small motte and bailey to find it besieged by the Danish forces that he thought were needed to secure Saxony. The Danish forces were much larger than Dietrich had thought the Danes capable of raising in the field. The Danish army was as large as his own force and possessing the land around Stettin.

Back at Hamburg castle, 5 mercenary crossbow companies were now securing the region for King Knud. The Emperor will not be pleased. Pomerania was always meant to be added to the Empire.

And the Princess must have neglected to include a trade treaty. There was also the matter of a discussed alliance which was also missing within the signed documents. The talk and discussions followed by a generous amount of wine in the dinning hall just did not seem to follow up with the paperwork that officially sealed the royal deal with the Empire. Without the Princess' royal seal on a trade treaty as well as on an alliance treaty, these documents today were not what Dietrich had agreed to in the evening excitement. How could such a darling woman of such breeding have done this to an aspiring general of the Empire?

The oversight by Dietrich would be costly.

Of course the Emperor need not ever know what was intended. The secrets of what was discussed over wine would forever remain secret and only would be known between Princess Ingrid and Dietrich to their dying days. Only the details of what was in writing need be brought up. That is how the official chronicles have recorded this episode.

Last edited by NorseThing; February 20, 2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: formatting

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Nice. Two birds with one stone, I would say. But then comes the mountain...
    DuckDuckGo

Thanks for the response Darkan. There are more 'stones' and more 'birds' to come. This AAR was started by playing around with 'what if' scenarios in game play so this will be very surprising after the next two updates. Apologies on such a long stretch after my mod stainless difficulties. I hope this holds some interest in the pause / suspension period.

Denmark might be a small kingdom, but it sounds like it has considerable resources and the ability to surprise its neighbours.

Tales After the Crusade

Chapter 3.3

A Danish Household

by NorseThing

Without the Princess' royal seal on a trade treaty as well as on an alliance treaty, these documents today were not what Dietich had agreed to in the evening excitement. How could such a darling woman of such breeding have done this to an aspiring general of the Empire?

The oversight by Dietrich would be costly.

Of course the Emperor need not ever know what was intended. The secrets of what was discussed over wine would forever remain secret and only would be known between Princess Ingrid and Dietrich to their dying days. Only the details of what was in writing need be brought up. That is how the official chronicles have recorded this episode.

We continue the tale:

The Holy Roman General was indeed a family member. Whether the title of von Saxony was by inheritances or family connections was still a question. The information that Kolbein of Holmr had was in error. This is the nature of espionage that sometimes some of the information is in error. Errors can then be compounded by assessments based on the faulty information. Had the Danes created an enemy close to the Emperor? Time would tell. Princess Ingrid had succeeded in her mission, but perhaps the treatment of General Dietrich was too harsh. Time would tell.

Prior to Dietrich and his Hamburg garrison moving into Pomerania:

King Knud and his army disembarked from the hired fleet in good order and not opposed by local soldiers. In fact, where were the local soldiers? No matter, the Danish army was fresh and well supplied. The King order the soldiers to quickly seize the grounds surrounding the Stettin motte and bailey. Sealed in were about half of Stettin's local garrison. The other half were now cut of from military stores and thus were not an immediate concern. No siege works were ordered other than the construction of two battering rams. This was meant to be a quick operation. Perhaps a week to build the rams.... King Knud thought of this as very similar to the raiding he did in his youth. Those days were fond memories of before he was crowned king. Now he was the Danish army general and king so much more was at stake than a simple raid from childhood.

After the Danish army was spotted by General Dietrich and the ex-Hamburg garrison:

General Dietrich von Saxony now decided that his German Army in the north should withdraw to the safety of Brandenburg wilderness near the Imperial wooden castle at Magdeburg. There was time enough to deal with Denmark's treachery. He would let the issue settle for now and see whether the good men of Pomerania were built with strong spines.

At dawn after a week of besiegement encampment, the sky is clear and the morning sun is bright. The king orders his army to it's feet. He gives a short kingly speech before the day's work begins:

"We have chosen the field before us today.
    The time is of our choosing.
    This small motte and bailey is all that stands between Denmark and Pomerania.
    Now!!!
    Let the battle begin!"

The army shouted in unison, "For King Knud!" With swords drawn in traditional Roman tradition, the company commanders began to deploy the army from the overnight besiege positions to positions preplanned to attack the garrison and make quick work of the day's task.

The motte and bailey is a simply defensive position and not really meant to hold off a determined and superior force for very long. It was meant to hold off an enemy for more than over a week though.

The company commanders knew their orders. The plan was followed as King Knud had detailed to them the night week before. The army was to split into two groups. The King was to lead the force against the south gate and a company commander was to lead a force against the east stockade wall. The Pomeranians had their backs to the sea on the north. There was not escape except over the wall and flee to the west toward King Knud hoped was a friendly garrison in Hamburg.

The Norse Archers were to deploy in a loose formation close enough to strike the defenders probably near the south gate. The peasant infantry company would man handle the ram to the gate and batter it after the Norse Archers had done their damage. The east group would use a pair of peasant archer companies to flank attack the gate defender if possible, but to flank attack where ever it had the archers had the best advantage. The east ram would be controlled by peasant archers. The rams were not to move to the ramming positions until the maximum damage by arrow was achieved.

Two companies of spear militia would follow up the breach of each ram and complete the fall of Stettin.

That was the plan.

The archers deployed first in loose formation. The arrows were met with little defensive action. The poor Pomeranians simply stood in their places. Even the east towers were not manned. The only archer casualties were among the Norse Archer company. About 1/6 of the company was down on the ground and out of the combat to follow. Perhaps 3/4 of the enemy were now out of action due only to the archers. The quivers were now empty.

"Rams!! Forward!!" called out one of the company commanders.

The rams moved forward. The two spear militia companies followed each ram as planed. Since there was no defenders near the east was, only the south militia companies needed to be concerned with a safe distance from defender towers.

Once the east wall was breached, the company of peasant archers moved the ram aside and began to fire even more arrows into enemy formation. The two militia companies poured though the breach meeting no opposition.

Then the gate was breached as well. The king at full gallop, but from a distance headed into the breached gate. All men were ordered by King Knud "Take the village square! Take it with haste!"

The Pomeranian company flags fell one by one.

The Pomeranians were all killed, but they stood their ground with honor to the last man. No Pomeranian broke and ran. There were thus no prisoners.

The Danes had only a few dozen killed and they were mostly the militia as all soldiers converged with swords drawn to take field from Pomerania. There were some Norse archers killed in the melee, but the Norse Archers wounded from the gate towers did eventually heal their wounds and returned to duty.

Cardinal Halstan the Warmonger now meet briefly with King Knud.

Cardinal started, "Sire, this is a great day for Denmark and for your royal household. All soldiers have done their duty. However, I am concerned. Stettin, as well as all of Pomerania has not Christian households. This place is ripe for conversion, but at this time it is perilous for the king to stay even a night within these walls of the bailey. I think the religious unrest alone could be a problem and the general unrest with your victory in significant as well. People need time to adjust to the need reality of this being a Danish bit of soil as of today. We also do not know where the other half of the Pomeranian garrison is located."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stettin status panel before conversion.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	351110

The king responded to the Cardinal. "These people are just villagers. Let's give them back their village and take down the walls and the bailey. There should be no sacking. There should be no further killing. I as king, have spoken."

And so it was ordered. The killing stopped. The small defensive fortification in the wilderness south of the Baltic Ocean would be leveled. Stettin would once again be a quiet village on the south shores of the Baltic Ocean. The memory of the Empire was to be erased. King Knud gained a bit of chivalric reputation on this day.
    Last edited by NorseThing; February 28, 2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: formatting

Tales After the Crusade

Chapter 3.4

A Danish Household

by NorseThing

The king responded to the Cardinal. "These people are just villagers. Let's give them back their village and take down the walls and the bailey. There should be no sacking. There should be no further killing. I as king, have spoken."

And so it was ordered. The killing stopped. The small defensive fortification in the wilderness south of the Baltic Ocean would be leveled. Stettin would once again be a quiet village on the south shores of the Baltic Ocean. The memory of the Empire was to be erased. King Knud gained a bit of chivalric reputation on this day.

We now continue with some notes recorded by the Cardinal while at Stettin Village and as his journey continued along the Baltic coast:

During that night, there was indeed rioting as I had feared. Many peasants lost their lives in the night of chaos. Several soldiers gave their lives in service to the crown as they attempted to put down the rioting. And...

The King is dead!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riot.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	351108

Yes, the my worst fears had become sad facts as the morning sun rose reflecting off the calm waters of the Baltic Ocean. The waters may appear to be calm, but the same cannot be said for Stettin, the entire Pomeranian region, nor even the royal household in Arhus. Rioting is still taking place. Many months have passed. It is now summer in 1083. Who is in charge? Who is now King?

Prince Charles was last heard to be headed towards Stockholm with two companies of soldiers. Is this now a royal escort for the new king? The Princess was last seen approaching the Imperial wooden castle of Magdeburg. Is she going to take the crown for herself in violation of tradition? General Dietrich von Saxony was approaching the Imperial Capital at Frankfurt according to the latest messages from Kolbein. Could there be more than a disagreement between the Princess and the General than we know? Could there even be plans for a royal marriage to unite the Danes to the Holy Roman Empire?

That ends the journal entries in the Cardinal's Journal.

Not an entry, but on a small scrap of paper hidden within the journal:

I do not know the answers. I do know my duty to both my king and my church. I may not know who my king is, but my duty is my guide. I will continue to convert these people of Pomerania to the Christian faith. The heresy among the people must be identified and dealt with severely. Such heresy was the cause of the riots that cost us the life of King Knud. I may spend the rest of my days wandering the wilderness converting the unfaithful. I will never atone for my failure as an advisor to the king. I can only hope my works in my life will balance the ledger.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stettin status panel before conversion.jpg  
    Last edited by NorseThing; March 08, 2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: formating

Darkan's Avatar Senator

What? How did the king die? Was he killed by the people he spared? (Granted, he did conquer the city before but still...) Hmmm, is the princess as ruthless as she appears? Surely she doesn't conspire against her brother?
    DuckDuckGo

Like Darkan, I'd like to know what happened to the King, was he killed by the people he conquered, or by his own troops because of the orders he gave about the treatment of the conquered city, or perhaps by an assassin on a mission unrelated to this conquest? I look forward to finding out (if we do).

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. It may be worth much less, but I think my last two updates are both helped with some pics from the campaign. Not really battles, but hopefully illustrating the situation better than just with the words of the Cardinal. I had thought my written words were enough, but my mastery leaves something to be desired. I hope the pics help illustrate the post's written ideas

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast