Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saxdude's paintings and stuff

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Saxdude's paintings and stuff

Pretty works, sax. I find the depiction of the mesoamerican lady quite intriguing, what sources did you use to depict her like that?

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Thanks everybody, glad you like the work!

The Mayan lady or courtesan is a composite piece based on several ceramic and mural representations of the classical period, particularly from the southern highlands region (i.e. the Kingdoms of Tikal, Ik, Calakmul, Palenque, Yaxchilan, etc.). Primary references include K1272, K5456 and K6059 of the Justin Kerr database of photography (among others), while the cilindrical cup she holds is K7898.

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Awesome !
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

This is all lovely, and I wish I had found it earlier! You keep producing these and I will keep drinking them in!

One question: Are these actual paintings or are they works you have made digitally? I ask because they sure look like paintings, but in an above exchange with Lifthrasir you seemed to be talking about image editing software as your "toolbox". I guess there are little details in some that also make me think it is more likely a digital work made to look "painty". Either way, you are doing masterful work here, and I'm just wondering what your medium is.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Thanks dudes!
    @Kilo: They're all digital. Like I said I use a program called Artrage, which fairly successfully imitates painting with oil colours and provides quite a bit of canvas textures. I use photoshop for special effects unavailable in the program but I've increasingly started to abandon photoshop all together except for the initial sketches, since I feel it still has the best "pencil brush".
    I try to work on a high-ish pixel size to sell prints.

Unfinished speculative chimapanzee evolution inspired by PotA.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Cover for my archaeology thesis were I decipher a colonial codex. Depicted are accurately depicted Spanish and Nahua conquistadors, as well as native Mixe and Zapotec pikemen. Sadly was a bit rushed but acceptable for what it was supposed to do.

Composite reconstruction of whistle figurine found in the central golf coast of Mexico, belonging to the remojadas culture.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Lovely art, mate, I hope you have more of it to show.

These are great, Saxdude! In particular, I really really like the last one. In that, you have not just captured the image well, but also a measure of honest emotion, something that I think shows a lot of development for you as an artist! I have nothing more to add than that I love seeing you put up new works, and I can't wait for the next one!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Another batch of finished paintings:

A Mexica Teuctli.
    "Within the social strata of the Aztec polities of central Mexico, few besides the royal family itself could boast as high a status as the Teteuctin (sg. Teuctli), noblemen who earned lordship of their own House (Teucalli) by way of distinguished service to the Tlatoani and the state. This title conferred to them lands, serfs, tributary privileges as well as granting them military, administrative and judicial power over the aforementioned house and lands. While the title was not technically hereditary, as lordship was anointed by the Tlatoani himself. it passed on within the family, generally from father to first son."

The Man from Calakmul
    "Illustration of a mayan man based on a late classic Jaina figurine, circa 600 - 800 AD. Of unknown origin, he likely came from any of the polities directly north of the the Uscumacinta river basin, within the modern state of Campeche. Likely a nobleman and/or a merchant, he features extensive jade decorations, a distinctive cotton necklace and a long jacket of intermitive gauze weave. I've named him Aj Bolon Ikatz"

The Huezaa yeche (Zapotec High Priest of Pitào Cocijo)

Huey Tlatoani (Emperor) Axayacatl and the Cihualcoatl (second in command) Tlacaelel:

Dude, these are still just so very sharp! Seriously, this is good stuff!

Out of curiosity, do you have some connection to Central America?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just wow man, WOW

out of curiosity, is the warrior on the right of the last picture wearing a human skin?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12